Deployment 2020-21 booking season begins

3 hours ago, Blue Eyed Belfast Belle said:

Hey Mindy...hope you are well.

I remember you telling me how much you liked the Pacific Coastals so I am now booked on the Serenade May 2020 sailing. 😊

That should be a good one!  I probably won't book for May 2020 because I'm spending 24 days on Voyager in Australia from April into May.  I look forward to cruising with you again!

Edited by MindyJohn

6 hours ago, MindyJohn said:

And you decided on Radiance rather than Ovation?  I"m going to see the Next Cruise people today.

I preferred the Radiance itinerary.  Ovation only makes 3 stops in Hawaii, the rest of the ports are on the West Coast.  Radiance is "pure" Hawaii, lol!

5 hours ago, ShazM said:

Radiance is down on the Sydney Ports website as coming back here on 5 October, 2020

It might be a place holder for Serenade, as bookings are now open for a September, 2020 Vancouver/Hawaii cruise, which usually is followed by Hawaii/Sydney (too soon for those itineraries).

On 11/6/2018 at 11:06 AM, travelgoddess1 said:

I booked this cruise (Radiance Hawaii/Vancouver 5/5/20) yesterday at 2:30pm, so it was on the website for sale at that time.

Serenade's 7-night Coastal cruise for one person (May, 2020) is $1k less than Serenade's 5-night Alaska cruise (May, 2020) right after the Coastal.  No thanks!

I am taking a chance that the price of the 5 night cruise will come down and I just booked a cabin.  The solo cabins were priced $600 more than the standard inside double occupancy so something will have to give.... 

I have been wanting to spend some extra days around Vancouver and this sets up nicely for that :classic_smile:

32 minutes ago, travelgoddess1 said:

I preferred the Radiance itinerary.  Ovation only makes 3 stops in Hawaii, the rest of the ports are on the West Coast.  Radiance is "pure" Hawaii, lol!

It might be a place holder for Serenade, as bookings are now open for a September, 2020 Vancouver/Hawaii cruise, which usually is followed by Hawaii/Sydney (too soon for those itineraries).

I also like the Serenade itinerary better than Ovation's.  When do you think the Hawaii - Australia bookings will be open?   I am considering either that or a TA from Europe with friends.

35 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

I also like the Serenade itinerary better than Ovation's.  When do you think the Hawaii - Australia bookings will be open?   I am considering either that or a TA from Europe with friends.

I thought Hawaii was already open? But I only see Ovation's itinerary for Sept 2020. I saw the Serenade's itinerary, but it's not on RCI's official website. Is Radiance also doing one?

53 minutes ago, LEtue said:

I am taking a chance that the price of the 5 night cruise will come down and I just booked a cabin.  The solo cabins were priced $600 more than the standard inside double occupancy so something will have to give.... 

I have been wanting to spend some extra days around Vancouver and this sets up nicely for that :classic_smile:

Oh how I wish we had price drops here in Europe! I will keep an eye on the prices of the 5 nighter as it would be nice to add it on and make it a true bucket list trip!

1 hour ago, springaussie said:

I assume Radiance is getting a dry dock in Victoria Canada after the Alaska cruises 2020.

With the Jones Law I assume you would not be able to book to back to back on the Serenade doing the Alaska cruises first then the trip to Hawaii.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/23/~/the-jones-act-%26-the-passenger-vessel-services-act

Hi springaussie,

I think because radiance goes from Seward to vancouver, then Vancouver to Hawaii, it probably allowable.

This is the reason why Ovation can stop and change cruises in Oahu whereas Explorer could not

Oh, btw the last mini-drydock RCL chose Oregon for Radiance drydock, so I assume they would go there again for Serenade

https://www.*****.com/2016/05/23/look-royal-caribbeans-refurbishment-of-radiance-of-the-seas

Edited by Hoopster95

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

I think because radiance goes from Seward to vancouver, then Vancouver to Hawaii, it probably allowable.

This is the reason why Ovation can stop and change cruises in Oahu whereas Explorer could not

Nope, same reason you can't book B2B Ovation from Hawaii to Vancouver and Vancouver to Seattle - you are going between two US ports.

RCI simply chose not to stop Explorer in Hawaii. They are breaking up the Ovation TP via Hawaii for a simple reason - they think they can make more money that way.

Edited by Biker19

6 hours ago, Blue Eyed Belfast Belle said:

Oh how I wish we had price drops here in Europe! I will keep an eye on the prices of the 5 nighter as it would be nice to add it on and make it a true bucket list trip!

I actually canceled this plan once I saw the port times.  Just too pricey for the amount of time you get in the only 2 ports....:classic_sad:

What dates are getting released for the short and week long cruises that are getting released early December?  The Alaska ones only go out to Sept 2020. Was hoping to see into 2021 (March and summer)

Edited by LuCruise

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Nope, same reason you can't book B2B Ovation from Hawaii to Vancouver and Vancouver to Seattle - you are going between two US ports.

RCI simply chose not to stop Explorer in Hawaii. They are breaking up the Ovation TP via Hawaii for a simple reason - they think they can make more money that way.

Ah shoot... brain fart!  re the PVSA. Thanks for catching that.

However, take radiance/Ovation all the way to Sydney and you're good to go I believe.

re Explorer that's incorrect. EX could not at all do anything different other than come straight from Sydney to Seattle. The only choice she had was to disembark passengers in Victoria, else she could not go under the Lion's Gate bridge in Vancouver.

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Explorer is taller than Ovation?

Yep... I'm guessing with funnels retracted.

IIRC from all those Panama Canal threads I was part of, Voyager Class is 205 feet high... The Bridge of Americas is 200ft high and the sister bridge to Lion's Gate here in Vancouver (also 200 ft mid span). It was determined a couple of years ago by Bill48 & Cheng that likely Quantum Class would get under, and I posted from Quantum control room the various stats on Panama Canal requirements for Quantum they interestingly had in full view to us during the All Access Tour. Nonetheless, she's coming to Vancouver!

Take a look at your news on May 13, 2019. If it's like the beginning of the movie "Final Destination 5" (google it, that's Vancouver and the Lion's Gate Bridge in that movie) then you'll know Ovation didn't make it under :classic_ohmy:

DSC03099.JPG

On 11/6/2018 at 8:29 AM, John&LaLa said:

Even though I said no more Aft for me, I did read Aft was the way to go for a PC.  Tons available 

On day Jewel's upcoming PC was released against Serenades. Even though Serenade is one day less the price is $1400 more then Jewels was, this each in an Aft Balcony... 

35 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Won't need to - I'll be on the ship.

Cool!!! I'll be getting on when you get off.

Note NCL Bliss had to come under the bridge at 3am at the end of her Alaska season in Sept due to tides. You might not have much of a sail-in opportunity into Vancouver.

6 hours ago, springaussie said:

I assume Radiance is getting a dry dock in Victoria Canada after the Alaska cruises 2020.

With the Jones Law I assume you would not be able to book to back to back on the Serenade doing the Alaska cruises first then the trip to Hawaii.

Yes you can book a b2b on the Serenade, Alaska then Hawaii.  Serenade leaves from Vancouver so the ship is not transporting pax between 2 US ports.  Psva has no say over Canadian departures.  

7 hours ago, whitshel said:

Yes you can book a b2b on the Serenade, Alaska then Hawaii.  Serenade leaves from Vancouver so the ship is not transporting pax between 2 US ports.  Psva has no say over Canadian departures.  

If it is a B2B that goes from Seward to Vancouver then Vancouver to Hawaii then you cannot do that as it departs in one US Port and ends in another. Thr embarkation in between does not matter 

18 hours ago, LEtue said:

Why not just book a regular cabin for 2 people using a fictitious name for the second guest.  Have them be a no show and get port fees and taxes refunded and you get a bigger cabin for a cheaper rate.  You would even get double points.

22 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Ginny, I'm not sure when the fall, 2020, Australia bookings will open.  Probably in the spring.  It's unusual that they released the Serenade to Hawaii for September, 2020 this early.

22 hours ago, cot427 said:

I thought Hawaii was already open? But I only see Ovation's itinerary for Sept 2020. I saw the Serenade's itinerary, but it's not on RCI's official website. Is Radiance also doing one?

Yes, the Serenade itinerary is on the RCI website.  You might have to search for it differently.  Try searching either by destination or by ship.  Good luck.

18 hours ago, springaussie said:

You cannot board the ship in Seward and disembark in Honolulu.  On an open-jaw itinerary (not closed loop), you have to visit a "distant foreign port" and Vancouver does not qualify.  You can board in Seward and disembark in Sydney, or board in Seward, disembark in Vancouver, and board another ship headed to Hawaii.

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If it is a B2B that goes from Seward to Vancouver then Vancouver to Hawaii then you cannot do that as it departs in one US Port and ends in another. Thr embarkation in between does not matter 

The Serenade is doing Vancouver RT not one way so yes you can book a b2b to Hawaii.  The Radiance on the other hand, no.

16 minutes ago, travelgoddess1 said:

Ginny, I'm not sure when the fall, 2020, Australia bookings will open.  Probably in the spring.  It's unusual that they released the Serenade to Hawaii for September, 2020 this early.

Yes, the Serenade itinerary is on the RCI website.  You might have to search for it differently.  Try searching either by destination or by ship.  Good luck.

You cannot board the ship in Seward and disembark in Honolulu.  On an open-jaw itinerary (not closed loop), you have to visit a "distant foreign port" and Vancouver does not qualify.  You can board in Seward and disembark in Sydney, or board in Seward, disembark in Vancouver, and board another ship headed to Hawaii.

The original question was about the Serenade, the Serenade does round trip Vancouver so you absolutely can do a back to back to Hawaii. 

Believe me I understand the Pvsa rules sailing one way to Hawaii twice, watching our ship drop passengers off in San Diego then floating to Ensenada empty while we had to take 3 hour bus rides to get to the ship.