Did you feel safe in Progreso?

Next week will be our first time in Progreso. We've heard from a couple of friends who've been that it was "sketchy" & they didn't get a good feeling about the port. One didn't leave the port, the other did a beach club day. This is how we felt about Belize. I understand that you have to leave the port area to enjoy the area, but did you feel it was safe going further out? We've cruised several times, been to most Caribbean islands, I know to be careful & bad things can happen anywhere, just trying to get a feel of what to expect. We are planning to book an excursion from ship since it's first time there. Any info is appreciated!

We have wintered for the past 8 years in Chicxulub, a small village 7 km east of Progreso. When you look out from our patio we see the cruise ships. Our children and grandchildren come down to visit us during Christmas. We have no concerns about our safety. We take the usual precautions we would take in any city in the US; do not flash cash or display gaudy jewelry. Watch your bags and electronic devices. Do not drink too much alcohol. Our grandchildren (ages 16, 14 and 11) ride the local bus into Progreso to shop the craft market that is set up along the beach. Progreso may seem "sketchy" to some, but it is a real Mexican city. Progreso is not a slick, commercial tourist development like Cancun or Cozumel. We routinely go to Merida, a 450 year old colonial city. You can stay on the beach and have a good time. You can go to Merida or you can explore the ancient Mayan sites such as Uxmal or Chichen Itza.

Next week will be our first time in Progreso. We've heard from a couple of friends who've been that it was "sketchy" & they didn't get a good feeling about the port. One didn't leave the port, the other did a beach club day. This is how we felt about Belize. I understand that you have to leave the port area to enjoy the area, but did you feel it was safe going further out? We've cruised several times, been to most Caribbean islands, I know to be careful & bad things can happen anywhere, just trying to get a feel of what to expect. We are planning to book an excursion from ship since it's first time there. Any info is appreciated!

We love Progreso (and Belize). Never felt a moment's worry in either place (and we just take off on our own, no excursions).

• 3 weeks later...

When we were there in December we met up with two ladies from the Chicxilub Food Bank so we could donate some school supplies. We met them at the market in Progreso. We sat outside and talked for a few minutes then they gave us a tour around the market area. We then went with them to Chicxulub where they gave us a tour of the town, including the more depressed areas so that we could see first hand who benefits from the work they do. We also got to meet a few of the locals there as well. A lot of the tour of the town was on foot and we never once felt uneasy or unsafe and would do it again.

ETA: I realize the OP has already sailed but hopefully my comments will help someone else with a similar question.

We are back from our cruise & our stop in Progreso ended up being so much more than we expected & one of the best parts of our trip!

We booked through Carnival the Mayapan Ruins, Lazy River Tubing & Cave Snorkel. All of the locals we met at the pier were very friendly & helpful. Our tour guides were great! The ruins were only about an hour & 30 minute ride from Progreso in a nice new charter bus. The Mayapan ruins were really cool, as you could climb these. Views from on top the pyramid were so pretty. The cenotes we went tubing/snorkeling were beautiful! So lush & green around them. Very glad we did this!!! We also went to a Hacienda for lunch, it was a beautiful open area with lots of ornate architecture. I had heard a lot of negative talk about Progreso, but if get away from the port area there is so much to see & experience.

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering the same thing. My first time to Progresso

We ended up having the best time at this stop! We never felt unsafe at all!!! You need to get away from the port, be sure & take an excursion. We did Mayapan Ruins, with cave tubing & snorkel. It was great & we had a great time.

We are going on the Uxmal Mayan Ruins & Hacienda Ochill excursion in Progresso and I am concerned about it being safe. It sounds like I don't have anything to worry about but I'm not going to lie, I am still nervous. Has anyone else done this excursion from Carnival?