What to do for 2 days post cruise that ends in Seward?

Mountaineer0313

We sail out of Vancouver on August 24th and into Seward on August 31st. My original plan was to take the train from Seward to Anchorage and stay there until our flight, which doesn't leave until 9:30 pm on Sept. 2nd. I have a car rented for Anchorage so was looking to stay possibly outside of downtown. But now that I'm second guessing myself, as I always do, I'm wondering if we should rent a car in Seward and stay somewhere along the way from Seward to Anchorage and explore those areas, rather than exploring Anchorage. Anyone have any ideas? We aren't particularly into big cities, which is why I'm now second guessing my choice to just stay in Anchorage. are there any nice hotels/resorts between Seward and Anchorage, and anything that is worth seeing?

We sail out of Vancouver on August 24th and into Seward on August 31st. My original plan was to take the train from Seward to Anchorage and stay there until our flight, which doesn't leave until 9:30 pm on Sept. 2nd. I have a car rented for Anchorage so was looking to stay possibly outside of downtown. But now that I'm second guessing myself, as I always do, I'm wondering if we should rent a car in Seward and stay somewhere along the way from Seward to Anchorage and explore those areas, rather than exploring Anchorage. Anyone have any ideas? We aren't particularly into big cities, which is why I'm now second guessing my choice to just stay in Anchorage. are there any nice hotels/resorts between Seward and Anchorage, and anything that is worth seeing?

A one-way car rental from Seward can get expensive. You can still take the train and pick up your rental car in Anchorage and head out of town from there. You could spend the time in the Girdwood area, or head north to the Matanuska Glacier area.

A one-way car rental from Seward can get expensive. You can still take the train and pick up your rental car in Anchorage and head out of town from there. You could spend the time in the Girdwood area, or head north to the Matanuska Glacier area.

That's what I was thinking too, but when I compared the price of the train ticket, plus the cost of the rental in Anchorage, renting a car in Seward and returning it in Anchorage before our flight pretty much evens out. Also, the train out of Seward doesn't leave until 6 pm. The way I figure it, if we rent a car, we can pick it up early in the morning after we get off the ship and have the entire day to sightsee. I just don't know what to sightsee or where to stay.

That's what I was thinking too, but when I compared the price of the train ticket, plus the cost of the rental in Anchorage, renting a car in Seward and returning it in Anchorage before our flight pretty much evens out. Also, the train out of Seward doesn't leave until 6 pm. The way I figure it, if we rent a car, we can pick it up early in the morning after we get off the ship and have the entire day to sightsee. I just don't know what to sightsee or where to stay.

Why not arrive for a transfer with a private company. Some stop at a couple attractions on the way to Anchorage.

I would look at taking a Kenai Fjords cruise in Seward. The longer the better, but at least 6 hours. You should still be able to take the evening train to Anchorage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why not arrive for a transfer with a private company. Some stop at a couple attractions on the way to Anchorage.

I'm not sure what you're asking? I don't want to stay in Anchorage, I'd like to stay along the way from Seward to Anchorage, but we would need a car to get around.

I'm not sure what you're asking? I don't want to stay in Anchorage, I'd like to stay along the way from Seward to Anchorage, but we would need a car to get around.

You can easily do this without staying in Anchorage... So you have from the 31st to 9:30 on the 2nd. So here's the plan you are trying to fill:

• 31st: Off the ship, pick up rental car. Hertz is the only option in Seward.
  • 1st:
  • 2nd: At the airport by 7pm to return the car and get checked in.

Are you looking to do any hiking? Rafting? Just sightseeing? Day cruise?

You can easily do this without staying in Anchorage... So you have from the 31st to 9:30 on the 2nd. So here's the plan you are trying to fill:

• 31st: Off the ship, pick up rental car. Hertz is the only option in Seward.
  • 1st:
  • 2nd: At the airport by 7pm to return the car and get checked in.

Are you looking to do any hiking? Rafting? Just sightseeing? Day cruise?

I would say just sightseeing. Yes, my main goal is really to avoid Anchorage and sight see. Even here at home we enjoy just driving around and seeing what we can see, so I imagine in alaska we can enjoy it even more.

Girdwood - halfway between Seward and Anchorage.

Staying at the Alyeska resort check out there web sight, Based out of there we are visiting Portage Glacier, ATV tour, helicopter 15 minutes each way to go dog sledding on a glacier.Alaska Nature Center tour. All close by. Also Tram to the top of the mountain at Alyeska, world renowned restaurant, we booked 2 nights for dinner.

Girdwood - halfway between Seward and Anchorage.

Staying at the Alyeska resort check out there web sight' date=' Based out of there we are visiting Portage Glacier, ATV tour, helicopter 15 minutes each way to go dog sledding on a glacier.Alaska Nature Center tour. All close by. Also Tram to the top of the mountain at Alyeska, world renowned restaurant, we booked 2 nights for dinner.[/quote']

Actually just looked at Alyeska and it looks phenomenal. Also on the advice of a friend who lived a few years in Alaska, he said to eat at the Double Musky in Girdwood.

Just booked the rental car in Seward and 2 nights at the Hotel Alyeska. Now to figure out what to do during our 2 days.

The drive from Alyeska to Anchorage is gorgeous. Check out ALaska.org for the Turnagain Arm Scenic Drive.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

We just did this drive from Anchorage to Alyeska on May 20th and stopped at almost all of the recommended points along the way. We saw lots of dall ship at Windy Point, a bear and cubs had been spotted the day before eating a moose kill at mile 1 of the Turnagain Arm Trail and there were signs everywhere saying trail was closed. We saw more bald eagles than we could count out on the mud flats. Potters Marsh was beautiful with lots of boardwalks winding their way through it to observe lots of different species of birds. There were two pairs of trumpeter swans there when we went on the 20th and again when we passed on the 25th.

The guide and the mile markers were very helpful and fairly accurate.

The drive from Alyeska to Anchorage is gorgeous. Check out ALaska.org for the Turnagain Arm Scenic Drive.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

We just did this drive from Anchorage to Alyeska on May 20th and stopped at almost all of the recommended points along the way. We saw lots of dall ship at Windy Point, a bear and cubs had been spotted the day before eating a moose kill at mile 1 of the Turnagain Arm Trail and there were signs everywhere saying trail was closed. We saw more bald eagles than we could count out on the mud flats. Potters Marsh was beautiful with lots of boardwalks winding their way through it to observe lots of different species of birds. There were two pairs of trumpeter swans there when we went on the 20th and again when we passed on the 25th.

The guide and the mile markers were very helpful and fairly accurate.

Thank you so much!! I’ll be reading this thoroughly.

Thank you so much!! I’ll be reading this thoroughly.

You're welcome.:) We really enjoyed our drive and all the different stops we made along the way. I would also check out the Bore tide, though looking at your dates, I don't think it lines up well.

http://www.alaska.org/advice/alaska-bore-tide

We flew all day on May 19 and didn't really have it in us to drive down from Anchorage to see it, even though it was on the list as one of the best of the year to see. Looking back, I wish we had, but we had been up for almost 22 hours straight and were exhausted.

Here is our plan for a weekend in Seward, where we are staying one night at the Harbor 360 hotel.

Friday - Major Marine 10 am to 5:30 pm 7.5 hour National Parks cruise. Dinner in town (maybe Chinooks)

Saturday - Bear Glacier Iceberg Kayaking 8 am to 2 pm. 6 pm Goldstar Dome Train To Anchorage. Arrives at 10:15 pm and we have 1:05 am redeye flight back to east coast.

We had considered the aquarium instead of the kayaking and forecast now calls for rain next Saturday, but that could change and we'll give the kayaking a shot.

I'd suggest you figure out WHAT you want to see and do, what activities you include before you jump into transportation and lodging, instead of you asking "what should I do??" when it's so limited.

You have no interest in Seward? one of the most scenic areas, wildlife jackpot with Kenai Fjords. Plenty more. No interest in Matanuska, Knik Glacier, Talkeetna etc etc etc. ????

I'd suggest backing up and find out the above- first- - then- fit in the transportation.