Bringing laptop on cruise?

erdoran

Let's not get into whether or not someone should have to work while cruising :>

What are thoughts about bringing along laptop, as far as safety/security? Is there a safe that is big enough to stow it in? Or is there a need to lock it up? This is a regular size laptop, 13" screen (ugh!), nothing huge. Thanks.

What are thoughts about bringing along laptop, as far as safety/security? Is there a safe that is big enough to stow it in? Or is there a need to lock it up? This is a regular size laptop, 13" screen (ugh!), nothing huge. Thanks.

A tablet will fit in the micro-microwave size safe - as for the lap top if the key board detaches maybe a chance

it will diagonally inside the safe.

Two things if you leave the lap top out on a desk get a cabling device to lock it to a chair or some anchor facility.

Or place in one of your pieces of luggage that can be locked.

In general the only person that is going to know of your lap top is the cabin steward.

If you leave your cabin door open for any period of time it maybe observed - avoid snatch and grab.

Does your lap top have dual power - AC and or battery ? With a battery the lap top can be placed out of site

with the AC you are fixed to an outlet.

If you are on a NCL internet program you can visit the internet café on board and use NCL computers

to access your information - security is questionable - most all ships have wi-fi now and the best

reception point is right in the internet café. You can wait for a port call and go ashore finding a Starbucks

or other wi-fi hot spot to access your data - but security is not any better.

Simple email probably is fine other downloaded material you are wasting your precious allotted time -

250 minutes is 4 hours and 10 minutes - remember to log off NCL or in less than the 4 hours and 10 minutes

you will be out of time.

Do you have a smart phone - consider that option instead of the lap top or even a tablet.

This doesn't answer your question maybe introducing more - fitting in the safe doubtful !

I always take my laptop with me on the ship. Sometimes, depending on the length of the cruise, we have 2 in the cabin.

The safes we have had in our cabin would not hold a laptop. A tablet yes....which I also take.

So far (knock wood) out of 14 cruises we have never had an issue with any of our stuff being left in the cabin.

I usually put it on the chair under the desk so I can charge it while we are out.

If I am really worried about leaving it in the cabin, I conceal it under clothes in the closet or tuck it away in a drawer under stuff. I think the cabin steward has so little time in each cabin to hunt around and look for stuff - but I could just be a trusting person.

I will always take one with me, especially when there are a lot of sea days on the itinerary. Just like having the option to do some work if I want to.

• Like 1

A tablet will fit in the micro-microwave size safe - as for the lap top if the key board detaches maybe a chance

it will diagonally inside the safe.

Two things if you leave the lap top out on a desk get a cabling device to lock it to a chair or some anchor facility.

Or place in one of your pieces of luggage that can be locked.

In general the only person that is going to know of your lap top is the cabin steward.

If you leave your cabin door open for any period of time it maybe observed - avoid snatch and grab.

Does your lap top have dual power - AC and or battery ? With a battery the lap top can be placed out of site

with the AC you are fixed to an outlet.

If you are on a NCL internet program you can visit the internet café on board and use NCL computers

to access your information - security is questionable - most all ships have wi-fi now and the best

reception point is right in the internet café. You can wait for a port call and go ashore finding a Starbucks

or other wi-fi hot spot to access your data - but security is not any better.

Simple email probably is fine other downloaded material you are wasting your precious allotted time -

250 minutes is 4 hours and 10 minutes - remember to log off NCL or in less than the 4 hours and 10 minutes

you will be out of time.

Do you have a smart phone - consider that option instead of the lap top or even a tablet.

This doesn't answer your question maybe introducing more - fitting in the safe doubtful !

You seriously have a "unique" style of communicating. :)

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 1

We keep stuff that’s too large for the safe under the bed in a locked suitcase. A thief would have to cut the suitcase to get at whatever is in there. To use my iPad you would have to have my finger print or break my long password.

• Like 1

About half the time I bring one. I never bother to lock it up. The size you mention will not fit in the safe.

hey I saw lots of folks with laptop. I was in TASTE dining room and a solo guy had his laptop on the table watching a movie. hmmm a little bit extreme, but no one bothered him not even the waiters. He was left to enjoy his movie and eat. so there. Bring it on and enjoy wherever.

• Like 1

No need to lock it up. Just leave it on the desk in your cabin. We have never had an issue.

I must travel with a laptop because I am a travel blogger and YouTube creator, and I have never had a problem despite the fact that my laptop, a MacBook Air which is very thin and small, does not fit in any of the safes. I just stow it out of sight when I leave the room.

The cabin stewards are the only ones who ever go in my cabin, and I think it is extremely unlikely any of them would think it was worth risking losing their job, with consistent, regular income, by stealing electronics from a guest to sell them. I do not worry when I leave my laptop, iPad, iPhone, jewelry, or anything else in the cabin.

I use my laptop for writing and photo/video editing. I do not use ship internet because it is expensive and slow.

• Like 1

This is my travel notebook, a Sony Viao running W10Pro, 11.6" screen, fit inside the Gem/Jewel class ship's safe, securing it, IMO, is really not necessary as there are other measures including password & PIN (6+ alpha-numerics) codes and biometrics (on certain devices)

When not in use & out of the cabin, common sense is to put it out of sight to reduce the opportunity for anyone to walk by, spot it, grab & disappear.

However, it will not fit in the newer *away ships ... - replacing a laptop is easy, recovering data stored inside that isn't regularly backup securely, that's costly.

59af11cfb7e4213086d97d1817f5f667.jpg

c3c5587b02ed24575a7b67e688d89525.jpg

via dual sim QISKIW-L24 using AT&T or T-Mo on Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

I've brought my laptop and iPad on every cruise and have never had an issue. I usually leave it in a bag on the chair in the room or inside my suitcase which is always left locked, not that it isnt simple to pop those open anyway. If you're that concerned, I would do what another person suggested and just leave it in your suitcase and shove it under the bed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

U fortunately I often need to take one, don’t think I’ve ever put it in the safe, and never had anything happen to it either.

I'm surprised to hear that so many people bring laptops. Reading the subject line I expected this thread to be full of people telling the OP to unplug and leave it at home. Personally I stopped carting around a laptop when tablets became a thing. We own a couple of laptops but rarely use them and never travel with them. (Desktop computer at home.)

On our last cruise on the Jewel in May, there were notices saying that nothing can be left plugged in while you are out of your stateroom and that room stewards are instructed to unplug any device left plugged in.

I never left anything plugged in, but I guess this would apply to a laptop too. Just so you know.

Also, we have never had a problem leaving ipad out. Just put it in the drawer. Have fun.

I'm surprised to hear that so many people bring laptops. Reading the subject line I expected this thread to be full of people telling the OP to unplug and leave it at home. Personally I stopped carting around a laptop when tablets became a thing. We own a couple of laptops but rarely use them and never travel with them. (Desktop computer at home.)

In order to pay to cruise, I still have to work, and I am in the type of job that people sometimes need to catch up with me even while I'm away - also some of my work involves writing work-related stuff and presentations that seems to only happen while I'm away and not getting phone calls & messages and sitting in meetings all day.

thanks for the feedback, all. Great place to come for info.

• Like 1

I brought my laptop on the last one but that’s because I love photography and I used it to edit my photos on the sea days.

Also I left it out in my room the whole time. No issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I brought my laptop on the last one but that’s because I love photography and I used it to edit my photos on the sea days.

Also I left it out in my room the whole time. No issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also like to bring my laptop for photography, that way I can see if I actually took any good photos.

:')

Never had an issue with either a laptop or tablet, just take the same precautions as you do at home when you go out for the day and leave them in the house.

I don’t take any precautions at home. Think if I felt I had to I would move instead,

I don’t worry so much about the cabin stewards. I tip them daily and they are happy. The only thing I worry about is when they are cleaning the room often times the door is propped open. Sometimes the steward steps away and it would be easy for a fellow guest to pop in and grab something that is easily visible from the hallway. So I hide my laptops or any valuables from view. My laptop is not small enough to fit inside the safe.