MSC Meraviglia LIVE Review Northern Europe June 10-June 24

Hey Tina

Any observations or highlights of the ports you are visiting? Something about the ship other than food? Thx
Do you have anything specific that you would like to know about? As of your comment we had gone to two ports, Alesund and Tromso. I got off the ship in both ports and wrote about my experience. We just left Longyearbyen today and I stayed onboard. Your post did help me remember that last night I went to the Thermal Area in the spa and forgot to write about it, but I'll make sure to in my next post. I didn't take my phone so I don't have any photos, but there are lots of photos and videos online.

I also think I forgot to write that on day 4I went to the opera show, Come Il Mare: La Boheme. It was really nice, if a bit sad.

I read A LOT of reviews leading up to this trip and I felt like what I wanted to see more of was menu photos and food photos, which is one reason I'm focusing on that. Another reason is that this trip is about enjoying time off work on a beautiful cruise ship and celebrating a milestone birthday. I'm mostly just eating, drinking and going to shows when they look interesting. Again, not really sure what more you would like to see, but if you let me know and I have the info I'll be sure to pass it along.

8420PR and CruisingFox27.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the review. CrusingFox27 do you mean have I been on many trips in general or more stuff r.e. this cruise? I only did what I posted about here at the ports. I had plans to do more, but then I got there and didn't want to. So I didn't.

Maybe tomorrow I will do more "stuff" on the ship and have more to report. Or maybe not.

Any observations or highlights of the ports you are visiting? Something about the ship other than food? Thx

Tina, I‘m following your thread since you‘ve started it and I‘m enjoying it very much. That‘s exactly what I need to know for our ongoing trip next Sunday out of Hamburg to Iceland on the Meraviglia. I‘ve learned a lot about the ship and the restaurants which makes my decisions a little bit easier, what, when and where to do something while on this vessel. So please keep on posting your details also the Daily Programs, it really helps!

Thanks again

Have a wonderful second half of your trip

Cheers Oliver

I was Just curious about the ports on this cruise, it's an itinerary I'd love to do.

It's your holiday and you can do as little as you like, that's what they are for :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thank you for taking the time to post the information you are.

Dinner was really good.

f13296b9f66250cac810981f134365b3.jpg8b7b49e8e17c44547be803a9a1150c70.jpg

Timbale of smoked salmon; 9/10. I could have eaten 3 of these.

043969721265e251fbc051087620b95f.jpg

Neopolitan-style soup; 8/10. Most of the soups are starting to blur together, but that's not a bad thing. I love soup and MSC does it well.

1511802d9cfce0df05572621b0132407.jpg

Roast fillet of John Dory; 7.5/10.

2dcc48ec8c5893bd6536c739e00ceca9.jpg

Caramel Bavarian cake; 9/10. The caramel flavor was deep and perfect and the chocolate wasn't overwhelming.

fe6363e07f640fb03d37d1d7720c4d42.jpg

After I ate dinner we left Longyearbyen and my SIM card stopped working. The wifi hadn’t worked all day in port since we were so far north. I forgot to mention that last night, day 5 I went to the thermal area in the spa. It was really nice. My favorite areas, well the only ones I visited were the ones that were warm. The ice room and cold showers didn’t interest me, but the Mediterranean Steam Room was my favorite. It was not too hot and it smelled so good. The light sauna I liked better than the traditional because the temperature was cooler and the humidity was higher.

I also forgot to mention that I saw the opera show a few days ago, which I mentioned in a previous reply.

At 2200 I went to the classical concert, Musica Maestro. It was also really nice. I've enjoyed all the shows so far. They're all different than what I'm used to on US based lines but I like the change. Of course I can't understand a word of what they're saying but the shows are short, so it all works out fine.

f38e047014252ec240b65cc9a23d84c7.jpg

I went up to the Sky Lounge but it was so busy there wasn’t a single seat to be found so I spent the rest of the night at the pub having a great time with the staff, and when it closed at 0130 decided to go up to the Attic Club because I took a nap earlier and was ready to RIP IT.

Well, the Attic Club is a mix between a teen cub and a regular adult bar with alcohol, a dance floor and loud music. So when I saw the kid who was probably 13 years old I had to get out of there, pronto. I passed by the Sky Lounge and went in there for about 5-10 minutes while the staff cleaned up. They had been closed for an hour but there were still people milling about. I shouldn’t have gone in there, I knew they were closed. When bars and restaurants close, just leave. The staff won’t exactly tell you to leave but when people are cleaning up around you and the place closed an HOUR ago it’s time to go. Book a balcony if you need to see the sea at all times from a climate controlled room. Anyway, here are some photos I took around 0145.

a87a1c0d81638e977ce3c820854bd49a.jpge5785b16d2d4c067a90c5883ee921daf.jpg

I went back to my cabin and around 0300 when I got into bed the ship started rocking. Side to side and front to back.

DAY 8

Elegant Night

The ship continued rocking through the night and I got up around 1030 and went to the thermal area again. I definitely like it and will go again since it’s included in my fare, but I couldn’t see myself paying extra for the privilege.

My chocolate ship was delivered today, but I forgot to take a photo. I did use the ribbon to tie down the button the hair dryer so I didn't have to hold it down the whole time.

d20aa6d0d613ae0e50e92b9be6adb08b.jpg

These were the special FIFA drinks today. I didn't drink any so I can't report on how they were.

1eec5df1366936c3f1c4433f7e3fd62a.jpg

Lunch. The service is pretty bad at lunch compared to dinner. I think I read that MSC used to allow more passengers to do the myChoice at dinner but it was unsustainable, and I can totally believe it. Lunch in the MDR is basically a free for all for all passengers to do a myChoice, type meal, and the staff just can’t plan like they need to to provide service similar to the service they provide at dinner. Anyway, on to the menu......

093a49cfde48d6652e089c4c236afa30.jpg

Edited by Hey Tina

The water has been consistently rough so by lunch my stomach wasn't feeling great.

Bean, chickpea and potato soup; 9/10.

2b9b140dfde1ea9306e9ea91a1a47dfb.jpg

Grilled meat skewer; 7/10. The chicken was not great....a bit dry.

050965b92d845597685af34f468c2c4a.jpg

Steamed broccoli and cauliflower; 10/10. The first perfect score of the trip. Broccoli and cauliflower is hard to get wrong, and it as steamed perfectly with a wonderful roasted red pepper sauce.

996887537e91c31e0888a554bac17b14.jpg

Ricotta cheese cream tart; 7/10.

0394b4a1f96f2669f62adb3599b4aefe.jpg

After the spa and lunch, today was more of the same, hanging out at the bar talking and laughing with the staff and then I took a nap before the Cirque du Soleil Viaggio dinner and show at 1830. They started seating us at 1835 which was unexpected because usually they have been right on time with events. The menu was at the table even though we picked our food when we booked our time on the ship.

0eba852f281d8fa5e2d3939384058720.jpg

About 5-10 minutes after sitting down the cruise director came out and told us that the show was cancelled due to the rough seas and one of the performers being ill. I rescheduled at the desk on my way out and went to the Sky Lounge for some soda water and some of the best bar snacks I think they have onboard. They're displayed in a two wonderful cases, I think one for cold and one for warm.

65b88e671dce8714bf70ab8d9d89f29e.jpg

The sea was still super rough, and the ship has been really rock 16 hours and counting......

Thank you so much for the review. Are the bar snacks for free?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

You're welcome. And you're welcome to everyone else who has said thanks and I haven't acknowledged.

Yes, the bar snacks are free. Tomorrow I'll try to go up and get some photos of the two cases they have on offer. It's nice that the Sky Lounge has cases so you can kind of see what they have and ask for what you want. Other bars have chips (US style), peanuts, and/or olives generally, and sometimes other stuff like I've seen some cheesy Cheeto puffs looking things and then the plate of stuff I posted earlier. When I went to the Sky Lounge the first time and it was busy the cases had chocolate covered strawberries!

That's great. Do i have to order these or are they brought automatically with my drinks?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

It kind of depends. Some times I've been brought peanuts and chips (mostly at the Edge Bar) but I always turn them down, not a huge potato chip or peanut person. But one time I asked for olives there and they brought them out for me. At the Sky Lounge I imagine you'd have to request what you want because there are so many options.

It's nice that the Sky Lounge has cases so you can kind of see what they have and ask for what you want. Other bars have chips (US style), peanuts, and/or olives generally, and sometimes other stuff like I've seen some cheesy Cheeto puffs looking things and then the plate of stuff I posted earlier. When I went to the Sky Lounge the first time and it was busy the cases had chocolate covered strawberries!

Oh! If only I would have known this while being on the Meraviglia last November. We never went to the Sky Lounge, as we did not expect that place being different from the other bars. I really enjoy your review, never good so great information about the dishes served at the moment. By the way, the "Pistachio-crusted rack of lamb" is a MSC classic usually not served in the MDR. Nice to read they put it on the Meraviglia menu.

Hey Tina, just a quick question: is the daily menu from the four restaurants available in prior of the lunch/dinner seatings somewhere (Maybe also in the MSC for Me App)? Or is there somewhere a place where you could look it up in the afternoon?

Thanks again Oliver

Hey Tina, just a quick question: is the daily menu from the four restaurants available in prior of the lunch/dinner seatings somewhere (Maybe also in the MSC for Me App)? Or is there somewhere a place where you could look it up in the afternoon?

Thanks again Oliver

Oliver,

The breakfast (the same every day) lunch, and dinner menus come up on the MSC for Me app. I always check after midnight and screenshot the lunch and dinner menu for that day. I think, but I'm not sure, that the lunch menu disappears after lunchtime.

Also, once I was in the MDR I asked to see the next nights dinner menu and one of the a staff showed me a physical copy, since it was before midnight and the new menus hadn't appeared yet.

Sounds good. It seems that MSC is here a little bit in front of their competitors [emoji6] (including the menu in the App)

Overall what I‘ve seen from your postings so far it seems that it‘s all a little bit fish-dominant which surprises me not at all, but alternatives (veggie and meat) are also on each daily menu.

So I have to do a lot of persuading to convince my wife but it seems to be worth it‘s time...

Like I said earlier in response to that drive by comment categorizing this as a Debbie downer review, I'm having a fantastic time. I think if you come into it (it being MSC) open minded and realizing that this is not Carnival, Royal, Princess, NCL, etc, you're probably going to have a great time also.

As a side note on this trip I have met a couple of people who have really wanted to share with me how much this cruise sucks or their last cruise sucked and honestly.....I don't actually care? Whatever it is about me that makes someone think I'm a good person to complain to I gotta work on fixing because my idea of a good vacation isn't listening to you moan.

That may have been a bit off topic, apologies. Just had a quick minute before I head off to do something exciting! More about the rest of yesterday and at what I've been up to so far today to come.

Enjoying the review. Is there a soft serve ice cream station on the Meraviglia?
There is soft serve outside. I can't remember the name of the place but I'm sure it's listed on the daily planner. I've been posting those in a different thread.

finding your review really helpful, going on Meraviglia in November with a fussy eater so seeing this is exactly what I need. do you know which restaurant is for Bella experience at dinner?
I don't, but the menu is the same everywhere.

finding your review really helpful, going on Meraviglia in November with a fussy eater so seeing this is exactly what I need. do you know which restaurant is for Bella experience at dinner?

No different restaurant for Bella, guests are grouped by nationalities, not by booked experience.

I can’t actually remember how I spent the rest of the day. I was really seasick but I did go to dinner.

ae39616f99a3d0914cb42ed754c7730c.jpgc440c4a01a31f48d963e2eef20ada027.jpg

Alaska salad; 7.5/10. Light on the salmon.

b7b34bd4b450a1ea6d74897b47553e84.jpg

Oven-roasted veal shank; 7.5/10.

eb1a3c7e4a13269b0df1ceb275b18d0f.jpg

Tropical sundae; 8/10. Tasty, and actual mango chunks, not just sauce. A bit melty.

c6e15b845c0856b80e95797205385e43.jpg

Warm chocolate molten cake; 8.5/10. Great ratio of cake to ice cream. The cake had sort of a hard "crust" and it tasted like it might have been brushed with some sort of liqueur. The berries added a nice tanginess too.

56825c39edafce740fc035953aaac97f.jpg

The ship stopped rocking sometime in the night before we got to Honningsvag.

DAY 9

Honningsvag.

Lunch

d34894b89f4db0bd50d07d3e78c556b6.jpg

Potato mozzarella croquettes; 2/10. So before this trip I remember reading someone who said they had serious issues with the temperature of their food. Until now I couldn't relate, but this was borderline room temperature.

358207ddadd75ed677460cab58cefe3f.jpg

Chorba; 8/10. Another good soup.

b97a4eceeeb332d7d53ea2a35eb24d77.jpg

Aloo Bhaji; 8.5/10. So yummy. A nice spice on the potatoes and the rice was interesting and not plain old rice.

f2ebbdf269715f869c67548db6a0dece.jpg

Frangipane pear tart; 7/10.

797d36b1e18da7ad0bd0888aefef3a83.jpg

Fresh fruit plate; 9/10. Weird but I really liked that the fruit was room temperature, not fresh from the fridge cold.

60b6d02476c9e86690bbf7de65fceeba.jpg