Cruise Critic Community
Worldtraveler 4727

Questions on the NEW Internet options being offered

We are sailing on the Coral (Alaska) very soon, and these are the Internet package(s) that are available. I have tried to find the answer in other threads, but I can't seem to find one that has any information from anyone who has taken part in this new system of Internet (vs paying for minutes in packages) and what the actual difference(s) might be among the three. (All three options seem to be unlimited minutes? Correct?)

Has anyone sailed the Coral (or another Princess ship) with these new options?

To be specific, about all I would be interested in would be email and reading USA Today. Which option would be best? Would the "Social" package be enough?

Any clarifications would be appreciated. TIA

Internet Access - Purchase Pre-Cruise And Save!

Quantity

PrincessCONNECT — Premium Package

$109.99

From e-mail to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access!

Original price: $139.99 USD

All Internet usage subject to Princess Cruises' standard policies, which may limit browsing of sites due to network security and bandwidth usage. Applications that use high bandwidth may be blocked and offerings subject to change.

Add to Cart

PrincessCONNECT — Surf Package

$79.99

Surf your favorite sites from e-mail, news, sports and more.*

Original price: $99.99 USD

*May not allow for audio/video calling and streaming.

Add to Cart

PrincessCONNECT — Social Package

$59.99

Unlimited access to the most popular social websites and applications.*

Original price: $69.99 USD

*May not allow for audio/video calling and streaming.

Add to Cart

For that limited amount of bandwidth, you should be fine with the lowest (social package.) They may block some sites with this package, but I can't see why they'd block USA Today. Obviously you won't be able to stream or other high bandwidth uses, but to read a paper and send e-mails...not a big deal. Yes, it is unlimited minutes.

I'd guess the "social" level is things like Favlcebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. You'd probably have to go up to "surf" at least.

My last cruise was with RCCL. They had two internet packages, one equivalent to the surf and one to the premium. They don't have packages with specific amounts of minutes. I was happy with the surf package. People who paid for the higher packages and expected to stream or online game with the speed they have at home were a little disappointed.

This looks like what HAL has instituted (and FTR, I don't like it). You'd have to get the middle package for email. I'd call Princess regarding whether USA Today is available on that package.

I've not had the greatest luck with calling Princess regarding things like this. They tend to be honest and say they don't know (especially since this is new and limited to only a couple ships), or they give their "best guess."

I'd rather hear from someone who has been on one of the ships and has used the middle and bottom options.

If it's true that you would have to get the middle package for email, it seems to me to be a way to get $$ out of Platimum/Elite who are used to getting it for free. If that is the case, which I don't know, that doesn't seem right. They should at least have a discount for those who used to get free minutes and have access to email and such.

I keep wondering what tier the free Platinum/Elite minutes fall under.

There have been different reports about this. On at least one cruise, the benefit was the middle, unlimited plan. Others have reported ships running both the unlimited for guests paying and the "minutes" for platinum/elite.

At the very least, there should be some way to get a reduced rate to "upgrade" to an unlimited plan!

I've asked them on Twitter, we'll see if they respond.

If you get a answer please post. I have called twice. First answer you will get minutes just like it says in Captain Circle benefits. Second time I called was put on hold while she checked with someone. Came back on and told me they were working on it. This was over 2 weeks ago.

Edited by franktown
. Add sentence

Not till February 2019 on Regal. Plenty of time. I'm sure it will be sorted out by then. They do not offer the 3 options just one that they are calling Medallion Net Voyage Package. Use to say free for Platinum and Elite but that has been removed. Great price $59.99 pre-cruise but was trying to fine out is there a discount for captain circle or has that perk been discontinued when medallion is fully operational. Will probably just buy and cancel if offered as a perk.

Does say no other onboard bonus are applicable.

Edited by franktown
. Add sentence

There have been different reports about this. On at least one cruise' date=' the benefit was the middle, unlimited plan. Others have reported ships running both the unlimited for guests paying and the "minutes" for platinum/elite.

At the very least, there should be some way to get a reduced rate to "upgrade" to an unlimited plan![/quote']

There was at least one post from someone on one voyage on one of the ships that have the unlimited option that the plat/elite benefit was minutes with an option to upgrade to unlimited (not sure which level(s) offered) at a discount.

But I think it is too early in the implementation of this feature along with the plodding progress with the ***** to know how it will actually be in six months from now when the ***** might work and the higher capability Internet will be available on more ships.

Applying lessons learned on a HAL ship two weeks ago plus what I heard about Regal's fiasco when

she moved to the Baltic...

• The by-bandwidth plans are designed for use where ships can see the high-bandwidth, medium Earth orbit

satellites. In Alaska, those satellites are below the horizon and not available. What's left are the same old

satellites up in geosynchronous orbit that never did offer enough bandwidth. That isn't going to change until

someone changes the laws of geometry or gets the folks who have geosynchronous orbit slots to replace

the "perfectly functioning" satellites in those slots.

• Douglas Island at Juneau and the mountains around Glacier Bay mask all the available satellites. I don't

know if that's the case in Skagway harbor, but further up the valley, homes on the south slope are

cheaper than on the north slope because the ones on the south slope cannot see any satellites.

We were just on Coral and have Platinum minutes (120 for 7 days). I was able to access Facebook, Instagram, our email, and other websites just fine. Ran out of my minutes on the last day so then accessed my husband's (he has a dumbphone, so doesn't use them...)

For what I was doing, the speed was adequate, although links took a long time to load.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

We were just on Coral and have Platinum minutes (120 for 7 days). I was able to access Facebook, Instagram, our email, and other websites just fine. Ran out of my minutes on the last day so then accessed my husband's (he has a dumbphone, so doesn't use them...)

For what I was doing, the speed was adequate, although links took a long time to load.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

But did the Coral offer the unlimited plans? That's what we're trying to figure out here.

When I go in to manage my upcoming cruise on the Coral (September), it shows the unlimited packages available and discounted if bought in advance (top level $139 is $109, mid level $99 is $79, and low level - oops don't remember).

There is no mention of minutes plans and no idea what they will be giving to Platinum and Elite cruisers.

But did the Coral offer the unlimited plans? That's what we're trying to figure out here.

Thank you, suekel.

Who out there has USED one of the NEW UNLIMITED plans?

I think we are all most interested in what the middle and lowest plans will support.

Thank you, suekel.

Who out there has USED one of the NEW UNLIMITED plans?

I think we are all most interested in what the middle and lowest plans will support.

In Juneau, docked behind Douglas Island? Zilch. Nada. Nothing. (just like the highest plan) :')