Beware of sales pitches on Celebrity ships

Toots

I never heard of Tanzanite before I took my first cruise on Carnival in 2003. And I do not want to hear of it ever again.

The cruise lines know that they have a captive audience. How many of those art pieces are really good? I saw some of the pieces on my last cruise, and thought "interesting, but no". And WATCHES. I saw the price of some of those intricate watches and thinking "Am I really going to be wearing a $1,000+ watch. I am Z'LOTH, destroyer of watches!"

We've taken two caribbean Celebrity cruises in the past 6 months (Eclipse & Equinox). Booked on Reflection for November.

Frankly I do not feel "pressure" to spend. I read the daily listing of activities and have no interest in the spa related sessions, teeth whitening, health improvements, etc. etc. We love trivia and enjoy chatting with other pax we meet on board. Don't usually get off in the caribbean as we've been to those ports more than once. I don't feel we are "pushed" to spend anything. It's easy to just say "no thanks." We do indulge in the specialty restaurants a few nights which we book prior to boarding. Usually walk through the shops once just to look, but unless it's a small toilet article we've forgotten, we don't buy anything. All of the cruise lines we've been on have the "selling" activities, but you can partake or not. No one chases us down!

I've heard some pax occasionally complain about the hard sell, but in all honesty we haven't found it to be a problem in over 40 cruises (Princess, Royal Carib & Celebrity primarily).

Just thought I'd share........

I couldn't agree more! I always am a bit bewildered when people post that they felt "pressured" or "uncomfortable" by sales tactics aboard ship. I just skip the obvious sales pitch activities, and either walk by or say a quick no thanks with an accompanying smile. It's never been a problem. I don't feel guilty saying no.

I attended a Thermage seminar in the medispa on another line. I knew it was a sales seminar but nothing could have prepared me for what that really meant! I asked a question and was told that questions would be answered during my free individual consultation. At the end, the physician was in the doorway with a clipboard and she asked people to line up to schedule our appts before we left the room!

I avoid these talks also, but I think the OP makes a valid point in bringing this topic up. If it helps even one person to avoid hard sell tactics, it’s worth highlighting.

I shop around when it comes to cruiselines and there is a lot I like about Celebrity. However their ‘enrichment’ activities are disappointing to say the least.

Because Celebrity doesn’t offer all the physical activities of Royal, NCL, Carnival etc, it should offer more activities that enrich the brain (educational talks, art and cooking classes etc). Sales pitches just don’t count and for this reason I’m unlikely to ever become loyal to Celebrity.

Anything health related is a sales pitch put on by the company who rents the spa space . It is all about sales ... over priced sales. I don't go because I know that the answer to every health issue is a product. If anyone tries a sales pressure thing on me anywhere on the ship I walk away.

Sales pitches are based on psychology. In training they are taught and answer for just about any excuse you have. So if you want go, enjoy the talk and walk out when the product comes at the end.

There are many enrichment seminars onboard that do not involve selling.

A port talk is a sales pitch for excursions.. but keep in mind that hundreds want this .

As for the crew selling dinner and drink packages .. the easiest way is not to make eye contact

Celebrity is infamous for their constant “hawking” of services and goods sold onboard and at destinations through their comped “partners.” Prices are typically higher than what you’d pay at home. Caveat emptor.

We have cruised NCL, Royal C and Celebrity and Celebrity is the best of those three pushing sales onboard. Royal C. would be not so bad, with NCL being the worst of the three.

However, I have learned to say NO very politely.

We have taken many cruises on different lines and around ten on Celebrity ships. On our last cruise, a transatlantic with seven days at sea, there were many informational seminars scheduled: skin care, pain management, healthy eating, foot care, taking care of your back and spine, etc. I attended some of these, and each one did some heavy selling of products or scheduling spa time. The prices were ridiculous! I admit I spent $500 for two acupuncture sessions to help my aching shoulder and they pushed me to sign up for five treatments for over $1,000, which I did not do. The acupuncturist assured me that Medicare would pay for acupuncture treatments which turned out not to be true. Some people signed up for thousands of dollars of health foods, to be delivered to their homes over a period of months. They have a captive audience on a ship and those sales pitches are very convincing. So just be aware.

Why would anyone do any of these things on a cruise ship?

They can’t even do a decent manicure let alone a medical treatment!

I

The cruise lines know that they have a captive audience. How many of those art pieces are really good? I saw some of the pieces on my last cruise' date=' and thought "interesting, but no". !"[/quote']

I have seen the same art pieces in everyone of my Celebrity cruises. Just copies.

It is very easy to avoid being ripped off or hassled, don’t attend or be suck in by that free itme or to raffle to win some other worthless item that is valued at $250

Look thru the daily paper and cross out everything that is a seminar, sales event, presentation, and etc., then look at what is left. Not very many activities or venues that aren’t out to get more money from you.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

If you been on 2 or 3 cruises with any cruise line you learn what to avoid or what going to be a waste of time. ie,. art auctions, teeth whitening lectures, etc.. For me it's not a big deal.

To me, "pressure" means sales people from the shops accosting you (literally stepping in front of you) as you walk to/from the theater asking you to try perfume or buy a watch or whatever. It means waiters walking around the ship constantly asking if you want to buy a dining package. Or bartenders trying to sell a drinks packages every time you order something by the glass. Or photographers getting almost aggressive when you tell them you don't want a picture taken. Or spa personnel calling out to you when you're exiting the OVC.

The constant barrage is annoying and, when it persists day after day in location after location, amounts to "pressure" -- at least in my book. And that doesn't take into account the numerous "seminars" which are nothing more than more requests/pressure to spend, spend, spend.

The above said, I have no problem whatsoever saying "no." But, the tactics have become so annoying that we're now cruising more on the "luxury" lines -- would rather pay up front and then be left alone (a personal choice).

What I object to is sales pitches coming from the Bridge as part of the Captain's announcement. If people want to attend a "free seminar" that's fine, but the Captain becoming a pitch man is beyond the dignity of the position. Not too many Captains engage in the selling, but there is at least one who does this almost daily.

I think the Canyon Ranch Spa folks are way more aggressive than the predecessor. I scheduled a facial and an eyebrow wax on my last Celebrity cruise. Going in, I already knew the cost was way more than I would pay at home, but OBC has to be used for something. After my service was complete, the girl came in with several products she recommended I purchase. I said, "no thank you," and she walked out in a huff. I had to chuckle a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the Canyon Ranch Spa folks are way more aggressive than the predecessor. I scheduled a facial and an eyebrow wax on my last Celebrity cruise. Going in, I already knew the cost was way more than I would pay at home, but OBC has to be used for something. After my service was complete, the girl came in with several products she recommended I purchase. I said, "no thank you," and she walked out in a huff. I had to chuckle a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't notice any difference in the staff, but being that the majority came from Steiner, I guess I wouldn't have.

In the past, we've really enjoyed the many enrichment seminars and nature talks on Celebrity ships, on a wide variety of topics. We learned about whales & glaciers & how the recycling and waste is handled on ships. Some talks were done by ship staff, some done by "experts" who were on board just to share their knowledge. These presentations were always a highlight of our sea days.

On our most recent cruise on the Millenium, there was absolutely nothing like that offered. Every single talk or presentation involved a sales pitch of some sort....really disappointing. We were sailing in Asia and would have loved to hear some information on culture, foods, geography....anything really. We went to a couple of the port talks, knowing that we'd hear sales pitches, but wanting to learn more about the ports. We were amazed that the shore excursion manager who was speaking actually seemed to know less about the ports than we did.

The only thing we have ever purchased onboard ship as an "extra", (the one time we had obc that wasn't used for tips) was to purchase an Ipad...exact same price as on land...almost everything else isn't a bargain...well maybe the $20 watch sets??

Had to smile at the OP's post. We sometimes cruise over 100 days a year and can honestly say that in forty+ years of cruising we have never wasted our time going to any of those "sales" seminars. The folks that go, spend their money, and later are unhappy....have nobody to blame but themselves. Some cruisers just do not understand that the folks that do this stuff are only on the ship to sell things. And they sell enough "things" to cover their salary, make a healthy profit for their company, and pay a hefty percentage to the cruise line.

Hank

Been on 11 cruises on Princess, RCCL, DCL & Celebrity.

They ALL have these "informational" speakers & it's ALWAYS a sales pitch...

Have not attended one of these EVER.

Had to smile at the OP's post. We sometimes cruise over 100 days a year and can honestly say that in forty+ years of cruising we have never wasted our time going to any of those "sales" seminars. The folks that go, spend their money, and later are unhappy....have nobody to blame but themselves. Some cruisers just do not understand that the folks that do this stuff are only on the ship to sell things. And they sell enough "things" to cover their salary, make a healthy profit for their company, and pay a hefty percentage to the cruise line.

Hank

Just like a timeshare....

bon voyage

Just like a timeshare....

bon voyage

I seem to recall that at least one cruise line was actually trying to pitch something similar to Timeshares. If they think it will generate revenue, similar to their so-called "Art" auctions, you will soon see Timeshare sales folks on ships. Perhaps they would even give you a free meal in an alternative restaurant if you agree to attend a "presentation."

Hank

I seem to recall that at least one cruise line was actually trying to pitch something similar to Timeshares. If they think it will generate revenue, similar to their so-called "Art" auctions, you will soon see Timeshare sales folks on ships. Perhaps they would even give you a free meal in an alternative restaurant if you agree to attend a "presentation."

Hank

IF they are selling Time Shares for X sailings, I would consider! LOL

Pricing would have to be way better than discounts currently available...

Free meal in Murano, they have me attending, at minimum...

bon voyage

We have taken many cruises on different lines and around ten on Celebrity ships. On our last cruise, a transatlantic with seven days at sea, there were many informational seminars scheduled: skin care, pain management, healthy eating, foot care, taking care of your back and spine, etc. I attended some of these, and each one did some heavy selling of products or scheduling spa time. The prices were ridiculous! I admit I spent $500 for two acupuncture sessions to help my aching shoulder and they pushed me to sign up for five treatments for over $1,000, which I did not do. The acupuncturist assured me that Medicare would pay for acupuncture treatments which turned out not to be true. Some people signed up for thousands of dollars of health foods, to be delivered to their homes over a period of months. They have a captive audience on a ship and those sales pitches are very convincing. So just be aware.

Oh dear, sorry your insurance didn't cover acupuncture, especially as I've just left Reflection having paid out almost $1, 500 for it. Not by choice, had a fall, no broken bones so doctor suggest it as an alternative of having to leave the ship for land based physio. Claim went in yesterday with the letter from the doctor so will report back how it goes.

acupuncture sessions Are usually $85 :eek:

Not last week, they are advertised at $170 on Reflection and would have thought that was across the fleet as it was on printed literature.