Hotel close to San Diego cruise ship terminal

sandancer

The two closest (literally right across the street from the pier) are Wyndam San Diego Bayside and Marriott Springhill Suites. I don't know pricing - they might be a little above your budget, but generally booking between 3-6 months out gets you pretty good prices. Book a refundable rate if you can, then watch pricing and cancel/rebook if you see a drop.

If those are out of your price range, there are many hotels within a very short cab or Uber ride, since the pier is right downtown. Go to Google Maps, ask for San Diego Cruise Pier, then check "Nearby", "Hotels". You'll easily see how close everything is.

The two closest (literally right across the street from the pier) are Wyndam San Diego Bayside and Marriott Springhill Suites. I don't know pricing - they might be a little above your budget, but generally booking between 3-6 months out gets you pretty good prices. Book a refundable rate if you can, then watch pricing and cancel/rebook if you see a drop.

If those are out of your price range, there are many hotels within a very short cab or Uber ride, since the pier is right downtown. Go to Google Maps, ask for San Diego Cruise Pier, then check "Nearby", "Hotels". You'll easily see how close everything is.

We stayed at the Springhill Suites last Dec and really liked the place. It is about one year old, so everything is fresh and new. Good breakfast (free) and great location. Walked about 6 blocks to Little Italy for a great dinner! No shuttle service though. This hotel is co-located with a Residence Inn (share front desk and other amenities, so you might also check their pricing.

Another option is Hampton Inn, about three blocks from the pier. Good place for a one night stay (free shuttle from airport and free breakfast). Try to get a room away from the rear of the hotel to avoid noise from the trains (they stop late at night, so not a major issue).

We stayed at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside last month for two nights prior to a cruise. And we stayed at the same property in 2012 when it was branded differently (a Holiday Inn). The property is in good condition with reasonable on-site restaurant options. You really can't beat the location as it is essentially across the street from the cruise terminal.

When in April are you sailing?

I've cruised from San Diego numerous times, and need a room on April 27, 2019. My go to hotel is the Hampton Inn DaveOKC mentioned. The biggest challenge I faced this time was simply availability. Most hotels are booked solid.

I like to stay in the Hilton family of hotels, and the only "affordable" places I could find were the Doubletree ($189) and Hilton Harbor Island ($180). I was able to pay with points, and opted for the Doubletree because it's downtown. Don't think it's going to be walkable for me with 2 suitcases, but we'll see.

I've had issues in the past with April dates, and twice I've had to stay over in Old Town. I'll keep checking because sometimes blocks of rooms will open up within a couple of weeks of my sailing date.

Roz

We are there from the 4th to 8th April. I am def going to book something soon. Will book a rate that can be cancelled and rebooked if rates go down. When you say you had to stay in old town, was that a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like to stay in the Hilton family of hotels, and the only "affordable" places I could find were the Doubletree ($189). Don't think it's going to be walkable for me with 2 suitcases, but we'll see.

Roz

If it's the Doubletree on Front Street it's definitely not walk able.

We are there from the 4th to 8th April. I am def going to book something soon. Will book a rate that can be cancelled and rebooked if rates go down. When you say you had to stay in old town, was that a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not a problem, per se, but there's a lot more to see and do in the downtown area. Also, you can't walk to the port from Old Town.

Roz

I am Hilton brand loyal. I just looked for those dates and there must be something going on in downtown as a lot are sold out or rates are really high for what I normally pay.

Two options, I found the Hilton on Harbor Island for $180 and the Doubletree Mission Valley for $152. We have stayed at both and they are nice. The DT Mission Valley has a trolley stop just outside the front door, which is convenient and will get you to a lot of places without driving, including close to the cruise port. Harbor Island has nicer scenery and walking areas along the bay. It's a little isolated from restaurants and shopping.

Best Western Yach Club is a little farther around the bay but they have a free shuttle to the port and airport. They will be a bit less expensive then the other hotels mentioned.

We have booked here. $164 nightly. Refundable rate so we at least have the opportunity to move should rates come down. Would have liked the Springhill Suites but more than double the BW rate. I’ll keep an eye on that.

• 2 weeks later...

San Diego is a big convention town, and the convention center is not far from the pier, so you may find even now that dates are booked in Marina or Embarcadero or Gaslamp Quarter hotels nearly a year away, if there is a big convention in town. You can look up scheduled conventions at the convention center here: https://visitsandiego.com/events/18-month

Old Town is not bad, and you can take the San Diego Trolley or Uber/Lyft from there to the port; then walk 2 blocks.

For a small boutique hotel, you might also want to look at La Pensione in Little Italy.

• 1 month later...

We are cruising out of San Diego in November 2018, staying at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside for the night before the cruise. Would anyone know if there is somewhere close that we can buy a few bottles of wine to take on board ship. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are cruising out of San Diego in November 2018, staying at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside for the night before the cruise. Would anyone know if there is somewhere close that we can buy a few bottles of wine to take on board ship. Thanks.

We always use the Rite Aid that Roz mentioned. Reasonable prices and selection (for a drugstore). Just a couple of blocks away - 5-10 minute walk.

We always use the Rite Aid that Roz mentioned. Reasonable prices and selection (for a drugstore). Just a couple of blocks away - 5-10 minute walk.

Thanks for the info. I am sure we can find some whites that I might like. Paying a corkage fee at $18 a bottle will still be cheaper than buying on board ship.

Thanks for the info. I am sure we can find some whites that I might like. Paying a corkage fee at $18 a bottle will still be cheaper than buying on board ship.

CA wine prices are pretty reasonable IMO. Much less than here in Oklahoma.

We are cruising out of San Diego in November 2018, staying at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside for the night before the cruise. Would anyone know if there is somewhere close that we can buy a few bottles of wine

You are on the edge of Little Italy and there are plenty of little shops and deli's around. Our go to is the G street deli. Nice selection of wines at a reasonable price and they make great deli sandwiches.

• 2 weeks later...