Stay in Orlando or Port Canaveral??

I do not believe I read where anyone said it was the only way? There are other ways....and if 528 is shut down the "other" ways are a nightmare. For starters, people renting cars and driving to the port are not familiar with "other" ways and 528 past 417 has very few exits to take you to the "other" ways. Why you and the poster evil grin are trying to downplay the significance of the current 528 construction and possible traffic delays is kind of odd. Again, I drive 528 every day, it is not pleasant. The country road 192 which is out in the sticks and way out of the way of the port area nor the insanely congested route 50 (on a good day) or pleasant options. Stay in Orlando, leave early on departure day or go straight to the port and have one less thing to worry about. Think about it, with a $2000+ investment on the line why leave yourself in a possible position of failure. Murphy's Law.....anything that can go wrong....will go wrong.

If they're that worried about it, they can stay in Canaveral or CB, I've said that many times. I'm just trying to assuage their fears should they decide to stay in Orlando. This isn't the Big Dig - I'm home from west of the airport to Cocoa Beach in an hour every day. Maybe if it's a bad traffic day near the airport, 1h 15m. I'm downplaying the significance of the 528 construction because it barely causes a slowdown, especially on a Saturday or Sunday morning. I just stayed overnight in downtown Orlando this past weekend - left at 10 AM and was home by 10:50. It's easily doable if they choose to go that route and the odds of them missing their boat if they leave in the AM are next to nil. If they're unfamiliar with alternate routes, any decent traffic/nav app (Waze) will steer them where they need to go.

I do not believe I read where anyone said it was the only way? There are other ways....and if 528 is shut down the "other" ways are a nightmare. For starters, people renting cars and driving to the port are not familiar with "other" ways and 528 past 417 has very few exits to take you to the "other" ways.

Also, I just mapped it, if there was congestion near the port (which is what I was responding to) - taking 528-520-A1A (the 520 exit is well east of the 417 exit) is exactly 7 minutes slower than taking 528 all the way out to the port. That is not a nightmare.

The alternate alternate routes we discussed were only in the event of a catastrophic event causing a highway shutdown, which is exceedingly rare. Yeah, they're not ideal by any stretch, but would still get you to the port in 90-120 minutes without even touching 528.

Bottom line : if the OP is exceedingly cautious, just spend a few extra $ and stay on the island, enjoy the atmosphere. It's a great choice. If not, there are myriad options to get to the port in plenty of time if they stay in Orlando. Lots of people do it every day.

I do not believe I read where anyone said it was the only way? There are other ways....and if 528 is shut down the "other" ways are a nightmare. For starters, people renting cars and driving to the port are not familiar with "other" ways and 528 past 417 has very few exits to take you to the "other" ways. Why you and the poster evil grin are trying to downplay the significance of the current 528 construction and possible traffic delays is kind of odd. Again, I drive 528 every day, it is not pleasant. The country road 192 which is out in the sticks and way out of the way of the port area nor the insanely congested route 50 (on a good day) or pleasant options. Stay in Orlando, leave early on departure day or go straight to the port and have one less thing to worry about. Think about it, with a $2000+ investment on the line why leave yourself in a possible position of failure. Murphy's Law.....anything that can go wrong....will go wrong.
You yourself said it in post 5... only one road from airport to port.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

One item to consider is the fact there is only one road to the Port from the Airport. ( 528 beachline toll road )There is construction and occasional delays due to traffic. If you do stay in Orlando, please make sure to allow yourself plenty of port arrival time in the event of a traffic situation.

:confused:

When I cruise ... I always fly in TWO nights before embarkation... extend the vacation a little - In that case, I ALWAYS stay in Coco Beach ... makes the vacation seem longer, and if it’s Pool Weather .... stay at the Radisson ... the pool with water fall (Google it) is amazing!! Typically AFTER the cruise we stay AT LEAST one night before flying home, in that case we stay in Orlando .... and fly home the day after we get off the ship ... I’ve found that for me, flying home the same day I disembark is WAYYYYYYYYY too depressing - which means my “7 day” cruise turns into a 12 day vacation. Really doesn’t cost that much more, maybe another $500 or so but makes the vacation seem much longer - It’s worth it for me. Also we always Rent from Alamo/Enterprise - they are the ONLY rental car company that has an office AT the port. They also are usually cheaper and they don’t put a huge “authorization” on your credit card ... and of course they have a shuttle to where the ship is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Radisson is our favorite place to stay at the port. Love the pool and the outdoor bar and grill, and they have a good shuttle service to the terminals. Nice to wake up in the morning and look out your window to see your ship come in to port. :)

Disney transports dozens to hundreds of passengers from Orlando to Port Canaveral on embarkation days so such is quite common. There are several shuttle services from MCO to the port.

And, if the road was impassible for hours on end (the scenario being discussed), then Disney and the other cruise lines will hold their ships waiting on the shuttles (which they guarantee arrival).

The Radisson is our favorite place to stay at the port. Love the pool and the outdoor bar and grill, and they have a good shuttle service to the terminals. Nice to wake up in the morning and look out your window to see your ship come in to port. :)

The Radisson is our favorite place to stay as well. Great pool, great pool bar & short taxi ride to the restaurants at the port. Plus if you drive down (which we did for several years) you can leave your car there during your cruise. We always try to get there a day or 2 early & vacation officially begins when we get our room!

One real logical road.....period...anything else is ridiculous...….

Yes I know. You pointed it out early in the thread. That's why I was confused by your statement "I do not believe I read where anyone said it was the only way?"

Also, I just mapped it, if there was congestion near the port (which is what I was responding to) - taking 528-520-A1A (the 520 exit is well east of the 417 exit) is exactly 7 minutes slower than taking 528 all the way out to the port. That is not a nightmare.

You can map it all you want......if 528 has an issue, everyone frantically goes to the obscure routes or most likely sits on the highway....when everyone goes to the obscure routes it equates to massive congestion on those routes and obvious delay.... 520 is quite a distance from 417.I don't really understand what you are trying to prove.....for you to insinuate driving 528 is something to not be concerned about is misleading folks.....

we both agree leave early if you stay overnight in Orlando.....lets leave it at that....

You can map it all you want......if 528 has an issue, everyone frantically goes to the obscure routes or most likely sits on the highway....when everyone goes to the obscure routes it equates to massive congestion on those routes and obvious delay.....I don't really understand what you are trying to prove.....for you to insinuate driving 528 is something to not be concerned about is misleading folks.....

we both agree leave early if you stay overnight in Orlando.....lets leave it at that....

If you stay in Orlando and traffic is a concern along 528 I'd say just aim to leave once rush hour has settled down. Big difference I've found when I am up there for work in times of day. With Waze and real time traffic update and rerouting I wouldn't put it as ultra high concern or try to leave Orlando at 7:30AM or anything crazy.

If I was getting in after 4pm I'd opt to stay in Orlando near the airport (I have had good rates at Hampton Inn w free breakfast, hotel is renovated, not sure if there is a shuttle or charge). If I was getting in to airport anytime between say 8am-3pm I'd look for something closer to the port / beach area and as others suggest have a bit nicer view to kick off vacation earlier.

You can map it all you want......if 528 has an issue, everyone frantically goes to the obscure routes or most likely sits on the highway....when everyone goes to the obscure routes it equates to massive congestion on those routes and obvious delay.... 520 is quite a distance from 417.I don't really understand what you are trying to prove.....for you to insinuate driving 528 is something to not be concerned about is misleading folks.....

I'm not trying to prove anything. I literally drive past the airport and the port every day of my life. I was just trying to let the OP know that they can stay in Orlando without any real fear that they'll miss the boat due to congestion on 528, that's all. The construction on 528 is really a non-issue.

We stayed at Cocoa Beach at the Marriott Cruise and Snooze package. Our transportation worked out great. Stepped out of the airport and there was the van to take us. I would rent a car at the airport if we did Port Canaveral again. Once we got to the hotel, we walked everywhere and we were tired. I think a car would have helped and then turn in before getting on to the boat. We had a GC for Marriott and it ended up costing us $9.00 for the night.

I live in Oviedo, a "suburb" of Orlando (3 miles from the University of Central Florida). I took my husband, two sons, and dear daughter in law on a cruise sailing from Port Canaveral. Knowing that organizing that group is like herding cats, I decided it would be best for us to be in Port Canaveral the night before sailing, so I booked a two-bedroom suite. It was a Saturday. We had a flat tire on the way to Port Canaveral. It was 10:00 pm before we got to the hotel. Seem like a waste? Imagine if we had waited until the next day to go to Port Canaveral . . .

I live in Oviedo, a "suburb" of Orlando (3 miles from the University of Central Florida). I took my husband, two sons, and dear daughter in law on a cruise sailing from Port Canaveral. Knowing that organizing that group is like herding cats, I decided it would be best for us to be in Port Canaveral the night before sailing, so I booked a two-bedroom suite. It was a Saturday. We had a flat tire on the way to Port Canaveral. It was 10:00 pm before we got to the hotel. Seem like a waste? Imagine if we had waited until the next day to go to Port Canaveral . . .

When did you leave for the port? 6PM?