RCI drydock schedule

1 hour ago, PortSideCruzan said:

Too costly? Too much of a long shot? Possible? What-cha think? 

It certainly is possible- Spectrum is that way. But, the cost to do so (financial, physical and time) may not make sense for this dry dock. 

Isn't there a necessity for lots of drydocks to install scrubbers on older ships to meet the IMO  2020 deadline? I don't think any Vision class ships have had this technology installed to this date.

Edited by coaster

20 minutes ago, coaster said:

Isn't there a necessity for lots of drydocks to install scrubbers on older ships to meet the IMO  2020 deadline? I don't think any Vision class ships have been retrofitted to this date.

Have to wait for the Chief to weigh in, but I thought they could either do scrubbers or use different fuel within some certain distance to land.

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Isn't there a necessity for lots of drydocks to install scrubbers on older ships to meet the IMO  2020 deadline? I don't think any Vision class ships have had this technology installed to this date.

Freedom did it outside of drydock.  Only took 2+ years

• 5 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, mjnfry said:

Does anyone know when Anthem is likely to go into drydock in 2020? 

It sails TA from NY to UK between 12th - 24th April.

Break in her schedule from April 24, 2020 to May 15, 2020.

On 12/14/2018 at 12:41 AM, coaster said:

On 12/14/2018 at 2:23 PM, Biker19 said:

Or get a waiver.

Sorry, didn't see this thread until lately.  There is a difference between the IMO 2020 fuel sulfur requirements and the current ECA requirements.  Even when the 2020 sulfur limit of 0.5% comes into effect, there will still be residual fuel that can meet this requirement without scrubbers.  Current sulfur limits in ECA's (Emission Control Areas) (North America, Baltic, North Sea) are 0.1%.  Ships have the option to either install a scrubber and continue to burn high sulfur residual fuel, or to burn low sulfur diesel fuel (which costs more, but avoids the capital cost of the scrubber).  Many ships will continue to operate without scrubbers, just using the higher priced fuel, where needed.  For instance, my tanker, which operates the entire time inside the US ECA does not have a scrubber, and there are no plans to install a scrubber, since the charterer (the company whose oil we carry) pays for the fuel for the duration of the charter, and so we don't care what the cost of fuel is.  If the charterer wants us to install a scrubber, it would be at their cost, not ours.

The ECA's have various geographic limits (North America is 200 miles from coast of US and Canada and all US possessions), and ships can bypass scrubbers when outside the ECA.

Biker, there are no waivers for sulfur limits.  Every ship, regardless of type or flag, must either show a working scrubber (with operational records) or show that they have onboard fuel that meets the sulfur limits and records showing that the fuel has been placed into service showing time and ship's location.

There is now field test equipment to determine sulfur content in minutes, allowing port state control agencies like the USCG to determine if the fuel being used on a ship meets the ECA requirement or not during a spot inspection.

As others have noted, you can install scrubbers while a ship is in service, though most companies will do the major install during a period out of service (does not require a drydock or even a shipyard), and then it takes months to get the system "tuned" to meet the emissions standards.

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

...  For instance, my tanker, which operates the entire time inside the US ECA does not have a scrubber, and there are no plans to install a scrubber, since the charterer (the company whose oil we carry) pays for the fuel for the duration of the charter, and so we don't care what the cost of fuel is.  If the charterer wants us to install a scrubber, it would be at their cost, not ours ...

Just curious Chief and if confidential, please ignore.  Does your ship have only one charterer and is that a long term exclusive business relationship? 

11 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I have not sailed RCI in years but have the circumnavigation on the Radiance booked for Feb/Mar 2020.  When was the last time the Radiance was in drydock?  I have room 9260 booked for both legs.  Thank you!

Last I can recall was Nov 2016.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Just curious Chief and if confidential, please ignore.  Does your ship have only one charterer and is that a long term exclusive business relationship? 

The tanker market is divided into "time charters" and "spot charters".  Time charters are where an oil company charters the ship from the owner for a given time period (hence the name), and can send the ship anywhere it wants, carrying anything it wants, and just pays the daily charter rate to the shipowner, buys the fuel, and pays the port costs.  "Spot charters" are charters for a single voyage, or single cargo, and the charterer agrees to a flat rate to the shipowner for the voyage.  Fuel is included in the flat rate, and diversions and delays can get added to the flat rate, if it is the charterer's decision or fault that causes the diversion or delay.

As shipowners, we prefer time charters, as this allows us to long term plan our revenue stream, though spot charters can be very profitable, if the demand for ships is high at the time the charterer needs their product moved.  Time charters can be anywhere from a few months to several years.  We just finished an 8 year time charter with one customer, and are now on a one year charter to another.  As for exclusivity, yes, the charterer makes all decisions as to what cargo we carry, and when and where. 

Our current charter is with Monroe Energy, which is a subsidiary of Delta Airlines.  We carry crude oil from the US Gulf Coast to Philly, where the Monroe refinery turns it into jet fuel for Delta.  Delta, alone of all the major airlines, feels that they can hedge the price swings of jet fuel better, by having their own source of fuel.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Romantic101 said:

I’m curious when the Anthem was last Dry Docked, and more importantly when the next Dry Dock for the Anthem of the Seas will be. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Next dry dock is Anthem: Apr 24, 2020 to May 15, 2020.  Last would have been in 2015.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Next dry dock is Anthem: Apr 24, 2020 to May 15, 2020.  Last would have been in 2015.

Thank You so much for your quick response. I greatly appreciate it! I’ll be cruising on the Anthem of the Seas later this year so I guess it won’t be done until then. Hopefully the cruise will still look clean and sharp. I haven’t been on the Anthem yet hopefully it will impress! Thanks again!