What's wrong with the Anthem?

I'm guessing this is common practice. Create a bunch of sock puppet accounts, smash competitor, try to profit.

I'm guessing that is not much different from the bunch of posters awarded by cruise lines for defense. Often recognizable by an absolute refusal to accept that every experience is not perfect and/or factless fault finding in negative posts. Sometimes recognizable by the spurious invention of shadowy groups of ne'er do wells.

I've been on Anthem 2x so far (with another booked and looking at another). Compared to Oasis class, I think some people don't like that Anthem is more "closed" (rather than the open Central Park/Boardwalk areas). Since I sail in colder months, for me, I like more indoor spaces and activities since they are useful from day 1. It's really just a different ship layout (on some of the reviews I have read) that seem to not resonate with some cruisers (and, that's exactly why they have different types of ships :D). Happy Cruising!

I suspect this is the main issue. From the pictures I've seen of Anthem, there are a lot more inside spaces and in particular, fewer views of the ocean from inside. It might give the feeling that you are at a regular mall rather than a cruise liner. The photos also don't 'feel' quite the same as other RC ships, it's a more modern and sleek decor. Converse to that, the ship look gorgeous and I'd be open-minded about trying it. Especially if you're sailing in the colder months, I bet this layout makes sense.

When Anthem was newer I did see a fair number of reviews saying the staff morale seemed like an issue, but that may have been just working out the hiccups of a new ship.

Thanks, doing a 9 night ABC cruise in March 2019 on the Navigator. (Our first time doing a true southern cruise ). If we like it we’ll be looking at longer on the Anthem.

Dan[/quoteto]

Did the same itinerary last February. Many times to A & C, but only the first time to Bonaire . Rough coastline and lots of salt production. Also, the only place that I know that donkeys/asses are protected.

As people have said, the biggest initial complaint was Dynamic Dining. To generalize a bit... old people hated this! I know people of all ages both liked/disliked it, but man oh man did the oldens come out in droves to trash it.

They came out of the woodwork to trash it. Whether they'd been on the ship or not, they went OFF on it. "I'm GOING TO hate it!" Whether it was a mistake or not, I don't know. I never got to try it. It didn't sound like my thing, but since I never got to try it I never got to form an opinion.

I do know the ships are built to compliment certain weather conditions and ports. They have things that were firsts for the lines and they have things that still aren't on other classes of ships (the North Star and bumper cars) and other things that have been adopted (virtual balconies, iFly, etc) by other ships.

I would try to work through the hubris and see what you can learn. Maybe watch a few YouTube videos?

For us the MDR experience was subpar, poor service and fair food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the my time dining 3 times and it was fine. Nothing spectacular, same type of foods on every cruise. Just about a 5-10 minute wait.

I tend to find all MDR food a bit lackluster. I've been on a lot of ships on 3 very different cruise lines. I grew up hearing people talk about gaining 20lbs on a cruise because the food was so amazing. I still hear people talk about alleged "fine dining" on cruise ships, but I don't see it.

Most of the food has been perfectly fine. Some of it better than others.

If someone on mainline cruise ships thinks this is "fine dining" they must eat at Golden Corral and McDonald's back home. It is mass-produced banquet food. I know this is different on hoity-toity cruise lines and can be a much fancier experience in the pay restaurants, but the MDR is a banquet facility serving hundreds of people at the same time and thousands of people over the course of a few hours.

If you want a fancy dinner, you're going to have to get out more back home.

Edited by poncho1973
speeeeling isn't my freee-ind

I tend to find all MDR food a bit lackluster. I've been on a lot of ships on 3 very different cruise lines. I grew up hearing people talk about gaining 20lbs on a cruise because the food was so amazing. I still hear people talk about alleged "fine dining" on cruise ships, but I don't see it.

Most of the food has been perfectly fine. Some of it better than others.

If someone on mainline cruise ships thinks this is "fine dining" they must eat at Golden Corral and McDonald's back home. It is mass-produced banquet food. I know this is different on hoity-toity cruise lines and can be a much fancier experience in the pay restaurants, but the MDR is a banquet facility serving hundreds of people at the same time and thousands of people over the course of a few hours.

If you want a fancy dinner, you're going to have to get out more back home.

ITA and it was hard going back to the MDR after dining in Bermuda :(

Just wondering why it seems to get lackluster ratings? Can anyone summarize the main issues versus the other classes in the RCI fleet?

I'm looking at a 2019 9 night to Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean and the dates and itinerary fit our schedule, but the Quantum class seems to suffer in reviews. Looking for input. Thanks.

Trying to make an informed decision. :)

Dan

Here's the two main reasons we won't sail on Anthem anymore (or anything bigger):

1. On the Promenade shops deck, we felt as if we were hounded constantly by sales clerks.

2. We've simply had enough of the crowds. Spoiled by the smaller classes of ships we decided never again to sail on anything else except Voyager Class on down.

It's ok to prefer the not-biggest ships. [emoji4]

Lots of people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep everyone likes different things. You have to make the decision on your own. We had a great time and it IS a beautiful ship. Maybe if we were on it longer we would have been able to do all we wanted to. We actually thought about doing a Bermuda land and it is VERY expensive to do an all inclusive so maybe for our 30th in 5 years lol

I am currently sailing on the Anthem and definitely prefer Oasis class ships just for the fact it is much bigger and more space for folks to spread out. Think Wide!!

This weeks sailing has 4800 guests and everywhere you go there are people everywhere. Everything is just so narrow and the flow is horrible. Whereas the oasis class packs 1000 to 1500 more folks and never really felt too crowded.

One example on Anthem, go to the theater entrance on Deck 4. There are two entrances but only path on deck 4 no using stairs is on the port side. Otherwise you have to go through music hall top deck which isn't convenient. Also stair case blocks exit from starboard side leaving about 4 foot clearance for 500 people to pass and line up at elevators. Flow on ship just didn't flow.

We stayed on deck 12 and probably has the most narrow hallways I have seen on a ship.

We enjoyed the ship, she is beautiful. The crew was awesome!! We just prefer oasis or freedom class.

And just one more note, 270 is very beautiful but useless for the what they use if for. Spectra is unwatchable from many parts of the theater and the Quest was just a dud.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I recently completed my third cruise on Anthem, primarily because Bayonne is so convenient to my home. I just wanted to add to the discussion that weather and time of year makes a huge difference on one's experience. My most recent cruise had perfect June weather which alleviated the over-crowding in the solarium that is common at other times. No chair hog problem at all, nice change.

I also wonder if management has gotten the message about aggressive sales tactics because not once was I approached about specialty dining or the latest deal in the shopping area. It was a very pleasant change.

The only thing about Anthem I wish were different is the main dining rooms. I prefer one grand dining room and traditional seating. I get the feeling though that dining issues aren't unique to Anthem.

Its called the Royal Esplanade and more narrow then Oasis class and Freedom as it really only flows on one side. A lot more crowded especially with all the kiosks in the middle

Don't forget there's deck 5 that you could walk from one end to the other. Love walking towards Jamie's and 2x70 with lots of marble and places to sit and relax.

During the winter sails I use both (4th & 5th) decks to do my daily walking.

Ps. The only time that I find the Esplanade unmanageable is when the jewelry store is giving away a useless stone and the lines stretch all the way to the theatre and the D lounge.

I am currently sailing on the Anthem and definitely prefer Oasis class ships just for the fact it is much bigger and more space for folks to spread out. Think Wide!!

This weeks sailing has 4800 guests and everywhere you go there are people everywhere. Everything is just so narrow and the flow is horrible. Whereas the oasis class packs 1000 to 1500 more folks and never really felt too crowded.

One example on Anthem, go to the theater entrance on Deck 4. There are two entrances but only path on deck 4 no using stairs is on the port side. Otherwise you have to go through music hall top deck which isn't convenient. Also stair case blocks exit from starboard side leaving about 4 foot clearance for 500 people to pass and line up at elevators. Flow on ship just didn't flow.

We stayed on deck 12 and probably has the most narrow hallways I have seen on a ship.

We enjoyed the ship, she is beautiful. The crew was awesome!! We just prefer oasis or freedom class.

And just one more note, 270 is very beautiful but useless for the what they use if for. Spectra is unwatchable from many parts of the theater and the Quest was just a dud.

ITA with all of this. We had fun at the Quest BUT, you have to get there about an hour early and it is great when you sit in the front but I don't think it would be the same from balcony when you can't really participate and feel involved.

Here is a picture of the starboard side exit of the theater. There is no exit to the left of the picture. Going through the elevator lobby puts you into the top deck of the music hall which is a maze of tables to get out in addition the elevator lobby will be clogged. To go through the Esplanade you have to weave your way through two protruding stair cases or go up just to get hit again with top deck theater exit. Just an example of how narrow and congested the ship can get. Imagine 700 people exiting.20180622_215520.thumb.jpg.2fa81e18672be6ad6c70d1b609a8accd.jpg

Here is a picture of the starboard side exit of the theater. There is no exit to the left of the picture. Going through the elevator lobby puts you into the top deck of the music hall which is a maze of tables to get out in addition the elevator lobby will be clogged. To go through the Esplanade you have to weave your way through two protruding stair cases or go up just to get hit again with top deck theater exit. Just an example of how narrow and congested the ship can get. Imagine 700 people exiting.[ATTACH]424134[/ATTACH]

I use the stairs.

ITA with all of this. We had fun at the Quest BUT, you have to get there about an hour early and it is great when you sit in the front but I don't think it would be the same from balcony when you can't really participate and feel involved.

Be glad that there is a Quest at all.

When RC brought out the Quantum, they had decided that Quest was superfluous, and did not design any space that was appropriate for The Quest. And they simply didn't hold it.

There was "outrage" and "clamor" on the part of passengers for the Quest, and so they tried having it in the SeaPlex. That didn't work.

Abe Hughes brought it back in Two70 on the Anthem. And it took him a lot of work and persuasion to get management to allow him to do it.

I recently completed my third cruise on Anthem, primarily because Bayonne is so convenient to my home. I just wanted to add to the discussion that weather and time of year makes a huge difference on one's experience. My most recent cruise had perfect June weather which alleviated the over-crowding in the solarium that is common at other times. No chair hog problem at all, nice change.

I also wonder if management has gotten the message about aggressive sales tactics because not once was I approached about specialty dining or the latest deal in the shopping area. It was a very pleasant change.

The only thing about Anthem I wish were different is the main dining rooms. I prefer one grand dining room and traditional seating. I get the feeling though that dining issues aren't unique to Anthem.

Remember, the present dining rooms configuration was designed for DD. Also, been on the Q & A twice and never found this so called aggressive selling. I found it somewhat only on embarkation day by the WJ and is typical on all ships. I just ignore.