What's the best thing you've eaten on an NCL cruise?

jeepers13

43 minutes ago, SplashOfWater said:

I LOVED the fried plantains! So sad when they replaced Flamingo Grill with Margaritaville. 

I live in an area with no good Cuban or similar restaurants. My first cruise ever was on the Getaway and I was SO excited when I found FG. I guess it was my first meal on a cruise ship ever, come to think of it.

So sad we lost that one to a crappy a la carte chain restaurant.

Edited by AdoraBelle
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

I live in an area with no good Cuban or similar restaurants. My first cruise ever was on the Getaway and I was SO excited when I found FG. I guess it was my first meal on a cruise ship ever, come to think of it.

So sad we lost that one to a crappy a la carte chain restaurant.

I love Maduros (fried plantains!)   Fell in love with them on the Getaway.  Now we try to get to a Cuban restaurant when we fly to Miami for a cruise.

• Like 1

OP- great thread!!

My favorites were: Cagney's - the Salad with Blue Cheese/Cheddar Potatoe soup/ Filet and Truffle Fries with Oreo Cheesecake for desert.

Some others: I believe I had Lobster Ravioli as an appetizer on the Escape 3x to make a whole meal of it. Various times Egg plant parm. 

On 5/26/2021 at 12:40 AM, Bobessie said:

We were on Norwegian epic several years ago and had the Steamed mussels with Pernod fennel broth (moules poulette au pernod).  It was the only mussel recipe I’ve ever sucked every ounce of sauce off the shells.  The cool thing is is they had a cooking demonstration and they gave us the recipe.  The kicker is I recently  accidentally  lost the recipe and my wife had a conniption.  
Does anybody out there still have this recipe and would be willing to share it with me?  

Someone posted this years ago, and I’ve kept it.  Took me awhile to find it. It’s from Epicurious, but the poster said it was identical to the NCL recipe.

MUSSELS WITH PERNOD AND CREAM

INGREDIENTS

1 1/3 cups sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only)

1 1/4 cups dry white wine

1/4 cup diced red bell pepper

2 pounds mussels, scrubbed, debearded

1/2 cup whipping cream

3 tablespoons Pernod or other anise liqueur

3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

PREPARATION

Combine sliced leeks, dry white wine and red bell pepper in large pot. Add mussels. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover pot and cook until mussels open, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer mussels to medium bowl (discard any mussels that do not open). Add whipping cream and Pernod to pot; boil until liquid is slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Mix in chopped parsley. Return mussels and any accumulated juices to pot. Simmer until mussels are warmed through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Serve mussels with broth.

Edited by luvcruzing
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

Someone posted this years ago, and I’ve kept it.  Took me awhile to find it. It’s from Epicurious, but the poster said it was identical to the NCL recipe.

MUSSELS WITH PERNOD AND CREAM

INGREDIENTS

1 1/3 cups sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only)

1 1/4 cups dry white wine

1/4 cup diced red bell pepper

2 pounds mussels, scrubbed, debearded

1/2 cup whipping cream

3 tablespoons Pernod or other anise liqueur

3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

PREPARATION

Combine sliced leeks, dry white wine and red bell pepper in large pot. Add mussels. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover pot and cook until mussels open, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer mussels to medium bowl (discard any mussels that do not open). Add whipping cream and Pernod to pot; boil until liquid is slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Mix in chopped parsley. Return mussels and any accumulated juices to pot. Simmer until mussels are warmed through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Serve mussels with broth.

I appreciate your response but it wasn’t NCL’s recipe.  I’m sure of this because we had never cooked with fennel before and had to purchase some at the grocery store before making this recipe.  Also, I know we did not use red bell peppers in the recipe.  But thanks so much for your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 4:33 PM, Beachiekeen said:

The Macadamia nut ice cream I had at Cagney's on the POA is something I still dream about 2 years later.

I have never heard of Macadamia ice cream but that sounds so good. I have got to try it. I will be on a search for it on my next NCL cruise lol. 🤩

Edited by skywonder

I went to the asian stir fry station at the buffet.  Had her put some bok choy, other veggies and like a teriyaki sauce.  She spiced it up for me.  It was amazing.  I had some baked fish with it.  I went back and complimented the lady at the stir fry station (while getting a second helping), and her face lit up from the compliment.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2018 at 8:08 AM, Cruzn Bills Fan said:

For me it's the Oreo cheesecake that used to (:mad: ) be served in Cagney's.

Same here!! The Oreo cheseecake was to die for! Why do they always seem to take away everything that we find delicious! LOL! We also loved the chicken parm that was in La Cucina which is also no longer on the menu!

We do love the filet at Cagney's and the cheese biscuits in Moderna. We also love the food at the pool side BBQ on the GEM. 

I was on the Encore in November 2019.  TATL voyage.  Great fun!

Low end: The French toast at the Garden Cafe had me obsessed in the best of ways.

Higher end: Pretty much the entire menu at Onda by Scarpetta.  Oh. My.  Every meal we had there was perfection. To the point that, now that we are booking cruises again, DH has asked me, "There's an Onda on these ships, right?"  

Runner-up: The filet mignon at Le Bistro.  Effortlessly good.

6 hours ago, ysolde said:

Higher end: Pretty much the entire menu at Onda by Scarpetta.  Oh. My.  Every meal we had there was perfection. To the point that, now that we are booking cruises again, DH has asked me, "There's an Onda on these ships, right?"  

Runner-up: The filet mignon at Le Bistro.  Effortlessly good.

We have the option to eat at Onda on one of our upcoming sailings, but I wasn't blown away by the menu. I'm a picky eater though, so you can't really go by me. Everything looks 'contaminated' with seafood or mushrooms, neither of which I eat.

The last few sailings we were on we had better filets at Le Bistro than we did at the actual steak places. So now we skip Cagneys completely - between the sub par meat and the 3+ hour meal... no thanks.

• Like 1