Do they take your passport on the South America cruise (Chile, Argentina, Uruguay)?

zitsky

The cruise line does collect and keep your passport during the cruise.

Thank you. So they take it when you board and give back when you disembark or is it the night before when they return it?

No one can TAKE your passport. NEVER give your passport to anyone else.

I’d check your facts before posting. Some cruises hold your passports for immigration purposes. Also some hotels do the same to check visas etc (happened in when I was in China)

If you don’t want your passport taken I wouldn’t travel outside of your home country.

If you follow this advice there may be occasions when you are left at the dock at the time of initial embarkation. Turning your passport in on some lines, and some itineraries is mandatory if you want to sail.

It is very common for NCL to hold passports, we have ours held a number of times the last few years. Some times for only a couple of days and others for a much longer period. It depends on the regulations of the country being visited and the number of ports in that country,

It is illegal for them to take your passport.

Wrong again! It’s not illegal for them to hold your passports. They need to to clear the ship instead of each person holding them. If you do not comply then they can deny your passage.

NCL does not and no cruise line can legally do that.
It is illegal for them to take your passport.

You are so wrong. If you insist these statements are correct, please cite the statute to support your claim, and don't forget that this discussion involves multiple jurisdictions.

Zitsky, despite emphatic responses to the contrary, NCL will collect and hold your passport during the South America Cruise. I did this cruise last year, so I speak from personal knowledge and experience. It is nothing to be worried about.

Zitsky, despite emphatic responses to the contrary, NCL will collect and hold your passport during the South America Cruise. I did this cruise last year, so I speak from personal knowledge and experience. It is nothing to be worried about.

Yes, they take it. And don't worry. They return it to you the day before disembarkation, and that process is VERY organized and orderly. I was anxious about it before my South American cruise, but I saw that it really wasn't something to be anxious about.

NCL does not and no cruise line can legally do that.

So wrong! It has been done on several cruises for me(NCL 4 times, Princess 3). Which indicates to me that you have not really cruised and you just come on CC to stir up trouble.........plus, the blinking eye, hate it so much. Almost every post you write is controversial.

Anyway, On SA (31 day on Princess) I think they took it upon boarding and returned it, then took it again and returned it before last day. It depends on each country you visit.

They will take your passport from you, they will be stored securely, stamped by Chilean, Argentinian and Uruguayan authorities and passed back to you at the end of the cruise when you'll get a location to collect them by handing in the passport receipt. On many cruises you'll have your passport taken and legally they can take your passports and the customs authority can do whatever they like including stopping the ship from being cleared if they don't like something in a passport

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do they take your passport when visiting any of these countries, or do you get to keep it?

Yes, NCL does collect and keep your passport until evening before debarkation. We did this last year also.

Enjoy your cruise...it's one of the best trips we've ever done!

Set aside a good amount for excursions as they can be quite costly, but, so worth it.

We were asked to hand in our passport on the NCL Sun as we embarked on a South American cruise. I would not want to be one of the passengers who refused to comply as it may lead to you being of special internet to immigration when they come aboard to inspect, (that could be 2:00 am) On some cruises we had to line up with our passports to be inspected by immigration in the spinnaker lounge prior to docking in Key West and also on an island belonging to the UK. There is an easy fix, go on a cruise where you don't have to hand it in. Working in Saudi Arabia it was standard practice to hand in our passports on arrival to Aramco when entering the country. Some may feel it is an infringement on our rights however we are choosing to visit a foreign country. Their country, they make the rules, it's not just NCL.

So wrong! It has been done on several cruises for me(NCL 4 times, Princess 3). Which indicates to me that you have not really cruised and you just come on CC to stir up trouble.........plus, the blinking eye, hate it so much. Almost every post you write is controversial.

Anyway, On SA (31 day on Princess) I think they took it upon boarding and returned it, then took it again and returned it before last day. It depends on each country you visit.

Thanks to you, armwinder, and others for the info.

A passport receipt is that like a credit card receipt they print out for you?

Btw, I hate that blinking eye too, but it goes away when I log in. Maybe a preference I set somewhere? Not sure.

Edited by zitsky

Yes, NCL does collect and keep your passport until evening before debarkation. We did this last year also.

Enjoy your cruise...it's one of the best trips we've ever done!

Set aside a good amount for excursions as they can be quite costly, but, so worth it.

Could you share with me what excursions you did on your South America cruise? And what you liked or didn't like? :confused:

Thanks to you, armwinder, and others for the info.

A passport receipt is that like a credit card receipt they print out for you?

Btw, I hate that blinking eye too, but it goes away when I log in. Maybe a preference I set somewhere? Not sure.

It is just a paper that has your room number on it and your signature that they have collected it. Then you sign another one when you pick it up. But, it would be a good idea to have some kind of scanner for cruise card........you are brilliant!!

Plus, I am signed in, I will have to figure out how to take off the blinking eye!! Doing it right now.