Peeping Tom on the balcony

Two 2 Tango

Hi, just come back from Fantasia; and there was some issues with standards dropping both with food and cleanliness. I have always given MSC the benefit of doubt with negative reviews and had a good cruise but what transpired on this one is pushing me towards legal action.

It was a nice sunny warm day, up on deck twelve on the balcony. There was nothing facing us apart from water and we had the door and curtains open. I was sat on the balcony and my wife was getting undressed for a shower. I heard a noise coming from my right and presumed it was a boat going past in the water, but soon found out it was the jet washing balcony cleaning machine with two men onboard. I was soaked and to my disbelief they stopped the machine and proceeded to stare at my wife now undressed. I managed to grab my camera and take a photo of the incident as evidence. It must be noted that we had had no notification of the cleaning as is the norm but to add insult to injury they left one in the cabin the next day.

I reported the incident to reception immediately and was told they would be able to talk to me about it in 2 days time (last day). On the last day we had a note in the cabin to contact reception, we were greeted with "why have you left it so long" the "lady" on reception became quite rude and insulting and never resolved or answered anything so I decided it would be better to take the matter up on our return. When we returned at midnight on our last night there was a cheap bottle of Asti and some soggy strawberries in the cabin, there was no note to say why they were there so presume this is the Italian way of buying you off. Being the last night we could not drink the stuff and would not be able to take it through the airport, so gave it away to an old friend who sings on the ship.

I am still waiting for a meaningful reply from MSC and take legal action if they do not respond by the date I have given them.

Edited by Two 2 Tango
Missed wording

It sounds like an accident, though with understandably distressing consequences for you, and the sparkling wine and strawberries are MSC's way of apologising. In any case, decide what you need to make it right and tell MSC - otherwise the customer service representative has to work it out.

If you threatened legal action you have likely cut off further communication.

Threats of legal action are forwarded to their legal department. No further communication with customer service is allowed.

They are waiting to hear from your lawyer.

It sounds like an accident, though with understandably distressing consequences for you, and the sparkling wine and strawberries are MSC's way of apologising. In any case, decide what you need to make it right and tell MSC - otherwise the customer service representative has to work it out.

It would have been an accident if we had forgotten to close the curtains having had notice, but we had no notice so this is bad practice and negligence. Didn't mention before but my wife is just recovering from breast cancer and radical surgery so it wasn't very good for her self esteem.

Have you considered that the workmen stopped the machine to stop spraying you!

Also I'd have thought it was standard practice to have the curtains shut when disrobing,

So I think you are grossly overreacting to the situation

Pete

If you threatened legal action you have likely cut off further communication.

Threats of legal action are forwarded to their legal department. No further communication with customer service is allowed.

They are waiting to hear from your lawyer.

Thanks for that but I have given them seven days to make some kind of meaningful reply, but all I have had is the standard 28 days letter. This should have been sorted on the ship but they were using delay tactics to get to the last day and then were rude and aggressive so don't think they are leaving me much option. I did get chance to photograph them so they will not have much defence and a lawyer would have a field day.

PS are you quoting from experience or is there something written down stating that this is the way things progress.

Have you considered that the workmen stopped the machine to stop spraying you!

Also I'd have thought it was standard practice to have the curtains shut when disrobing,

So I think you are grossly overreacting to the situation

Pete

Never stopped spraying just stopped to have a good look. Deck 12 open water in front of you, why would you close the curtains? How would you feel if it was your wife, or do you both get undressed in the bathroom just in case someone comes abseiling down the side of the ship.

I'm sure it was distressing for your good lady but I think this is a non-starter in terms of legal action success. Just one of those things, they were unscheduled, you were open air naked but in reality what could the cruise line have done differently

I did get chance to photograph them so they will not have much defence and a lawyer would have a field day.

How can a photo with 2 men on a working platform can be evidence for anything ? Or did you stand in the cabin behind your wife and took an photo showing your wife and the 2 men in the same pic ?

If I had a self esteem issue, I would not be taking my clothes off in front of an open window. I have received many notices from the ship about window cleaning, which they regularly do on port days. I bet they did send you a notice and you did not read it. How are you going to prove that you did not receive it? You can't. Also, who the hell cares? Why are you so angry over this trivial thing. Who cares? Do you think the window washers got their jollies over seeing your wife. Go hire a lawyer. You don't have a shot in hell. Spend tons of money trying to prove it was intentional. Personally, I think you made this whole thing up or you would have stated your wife's medical condition in your original post, as it is a major issue in your story.

How can a photo with 2 men on a working platform can be evidence for anything ? Or did you stand in the cabin behind your wife and took an photo showing your wife and the 2 men in the same pic ?

Good point, because without the wife in the picture, it is just a picture of two men washing windows. It is also amazing that you had time to get your phone or camera to take the picture. I think my husband by nature would be screaming and yelling, not thinking of grabbing the camera for "proof" for the lawyer.

Two men stopped on the machine long enough fo me to take a Photo, remember all you trolls they are required to notify you in your cabin prior to cleaning the balconies reminding you to keep the door shut and close the curtains; of have you never been on a cruise??

TROLL ALERT!!

I did think this was a site where people helped each other but it seems it has gone the way of Facebook and Twitter. Maybe all you perverts who think it is OK to gawp at your wife when she is getting undressed should get yourselves a camouflage suit and some binoculars. Or better still spout your drivel on Facebook and Twitter as you so find your own kind there.

Last comment on this won't be checking on any replies as you seem to be getting too much perverted pleasure from this and I wonder what you are getting up to while you are writing.

While I feel terrible for your wife, I don't think the end result is going to be what you hope.

I don't even disrobe in my private bedroom with my curtains open. No way I'm going to on a cruise.

The cruise lines have legal representation on retainer. Hopefully you have very deep pockets.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Forums mobile app

TROLL ALERT!!

I did think this was a site where people helped each other but it seems it has gone the way of Facebook and Twitter. Maybe all you perverts who think it is OK to gawp at your wife when she is getting undressed should get yourselves a camouflage suit and some binoculars. Or better still spout your drivel on Facebook and Twitter as you so find your own kind there.

Last comment on this won't be checking on any replies as you seem to be getting too much perverted pleasure from this and I wonder what you are getting up to while you are writing.

You have just totally proved my point by this statement. Your pride seems more important (IF this story is true) than your wife's self esteem, which was not even "mentioned" until later. If anyone is a troll, it is you. Good luck with that law suit, lol. Perverted pleasure? I think this describes you!

remember all you trolls

Thanks for letting everybody know how you feel about the answers and comments to your thread. Just a reminder... you started this thread and now you don’t like the responds ?

I’m sorry but I find this thread so funny. It reminds me when my husband where NCL outside restricted view cabin out at sea He came out of the shower, dropped his towel, to eye to eye with a crew member doing maintenance in the life boat

Maybe its just me. I always close the curtains when disrobing. Just sounds like an accident to me, not a deliberate action. Law suit? SMH Good luck with that.

Hmmm... it could be interpreted that your wife was deliberately exhibiting herself. The drapes were fully open and she was in the main cabin disrobing.

Was there no noise of this window washing machine/people a cabin or two away from you? Something that you could have heard and seen before it got to your balcony and you could have closed the drapes for her privacy?

The other question that always has to be asked when someone starts talking about suing is, 'what are the damages'. There don't seem to be any financial damages. I doubt that a contingency lawyer would take a case like this where the only theory of damages is emotional distress. And I doubt that OP will pay a lawyer thousands of dollars to litigate this.

So it boils down to a massive overreaction to a momentarily embarrassing incident.

And I doubt that OP will pay a lawyer thousands of dollars to litigate this.

Same like the very strange other thread with the food poisoning: You Americans must know that almost everybody in Western Europe has a legal expenses insurance which allows them to sue everybody for every reason at zero costs. And because of this every lawyer takes every case even if the chance to win is 0,01%.