Laundry on Board QM2

CynthiaRI

I wouldn't encourage you to use your own detergent, although some folk do. It's all to do with the environment and those onboard industrial washing machines . In the same vein as folk who insist on using their own Iron or kettles and other gadgets. The ship/s are often unable to cope with them.

I'm sure someone will come along and explain it much better.;)

I wouldn't encourage you to use your own detergent, although some folk do. It's all to do with the environment and those onboard industrial washing machines . In the same vein as folk who insist on using their own Iron or kettles and other gadgets. The ship/s are often unable to cope with them.

I'm sure someone will come along and explain it much better.;)

I can explain it. Simply don't take your own washing powder, iron or kettle since you are on holiday.

• Like 2

Thanks so much! I never thought about the environmental impact. So no packing detergent. One less thing! When travelling with 7 people for 2 weeks, unfortunately I plan to need to do laundry so I don't need to pack as much. But I'll probably make my boys do it for me! :-)

Having done many MANY ( happy ) days/ nights on all 3 QUEENS, and being a regular laundry user..... I'm pleased to report

(a) its never crowded at 6 pm-ish

(b) I've never seen any fights or unpleasant behavior from the ( very ) few users around, 6-7 pm-ish.

• Like 1

We just got off the QM2.....two 7 day B.B. cruises......each segment had a laundry special at the end of the week. $40 for up to 20 items but they must all fit inside the laundry bag. We fit 20 pants, shirts, pjs.....by carefully bundling them. We did one self service load of under clothes and socks in two weeks. Worked out great.

Just an add on to this post. I helped an elderly couple on Diamond Princess who were having trouble understanding the machines. They pulled out a plastic bag of washing powder and I asked them if they had brought it with them. They were Canadians and had travelled with a baggie of white powder through Vancouver airport, into Beijing and then through port security at Tianjin, without any questions. Don’t know if I would attempt this, just buy it on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just got off the QM2.....two 7 day B.B. cruises......each segment had a laundry special at the end of the week. $40 for up to 20 items but they must all fit inside the laundry bag. We fit 20 pants, shirts, pjs.....by carefully bundling them. We did one self service load of under clothes and socks in two weeks. Worked out great.

Excellent! Thanks for this news. That may help us our tremendously.

Just an add on to this post. I helped an elderly couple on Diamond Princess who were having trouble understanding the machines. They pulled out a plastic bag of washing powder and I asked them if they had brought it with them. They were Canadians and had travelled with a baggie of white powder through Vancouver airport, into Beijing and then through port security at Tianjin, without any questions. Don’t know if I would attempt this, just buy it on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is where there is often confusion with posts on this board :confused: This is the Cunard board , Soap powder is supplied free.

I am having a hard time picturing in my mind the exact set up, as I have seen a few ship laundromats lately. Do the laundromats on QM2 go from port corridor across to starboard corridor, or is there just one entrance?

Thanks to anyone that can remember.

Thanks Host Hattie! This is very helpful! Is there one on each level? A little concerned as our room is very close. But we don't plan on spending much time in the room. And maybe we can even be an audience to the famed disagreements! :-)

Thanks Fayecruises, Underwatr and Host Hattie.

After booking I noticed where the laundry room on our deck was located. However our cabin is on the opposite corridor. From the deck plan I did not know if it went straight through or not. Might have been convenient, but maybe there is noise (even though we probably would not be in our cabin often during open hours).

Noted that QV and QE might go from corridor to corridor.

• 4 months later...

It is worth looking at the deck plans - on occasions it is easier to go up or down a deck as the laundry may be closer to your cabin.

For clarification the use of machines and detergent are free on Cunard. I do take my own detergent capsules and tumble dryer sheets and have seen other do the same.

Diamond guests get a discount on the laundry cost.  The bag of 20 items for $40 is wonderful but not available on every sailing.

Princess charge to use the washer and dryers and also for detergents unless you are elite guests  and laundry and dry cleaning are free.

We were 14 days on the QE in a cabin almost directly across from the laundry room.  No noise whatsoever - and so very convenient for just popping in and seeing if a machine was free or not.  I greatly appreciate Cunard having these facilities, as some lines seem to be phasing out their self-service laundries.