No Christmas or New years cruises out of Melbourne 2020

has anyone else noticed there seems to be no cruises scheduled out of Melbourne for Christmas or New years for 2020

have noticed 2 from Brisbane and 2 from Sydney anybody know anything ??????

They lack any further ships! Will only have four. Eden will have gone by then,and Golden Princess doesn't transfer over until about May 2020.

Golden Princess has a 13 night trip to NZ departing 20 Dec returning 2 Jan but that is all for Christmas.

P&O only have the Aria here in Feb 2020 for a few short cruises and Carnival have not released their program yet. I expect they will give us a ship for Feb and March. (Please please)

2019/20 is going to be a very quiet summer at Port Melbourne. At least we fare better than some other ports but it is small comfort. :loudcry:

thanks Odine,

I an doing the Golden Princess to New Zealand this Christmas and NewYears for 13 nights

we can only get Christmas off work occasionaly get a couple of days only during the year just booked

4 night to Kangaroo Island on the Jewel for March 2019

I am on the Golden to NZ departing 21 Nov then on her again 2 weeks later to Tas (result of a moveover offer when they overbooked last March) on Dec 17th so I will be getting off when you are boarding on the 22nd.

I am on the Jewel on March 4th to NZ (again) so if you are on the 16 March sailing I will again be leaving as you are boarding !!!!!

I am retired so I can go anytime - money permitting. I have done 2 New Year trips solo on the Jewel and did last Christmas with family. They seem to have hiked up the prices of Christmas and NY cruises in the last 12 months.

Enjoy your trips.

Hi Odine yes we are on the 16th of march cruise on the Jewel

they always charge more for Christmas and New years cruises

did the the last 2 New years on the jewel great time got married by the captain on the last one

vow renewal while on our Honey moon fantastic treated like royality

trying the Golden Princess this Christmas and new year

I think moveover offers mainly come from Princess line although I did read somewhere that P&O had overbooked the Explorer earlier this year and some people received offers of extra OBC etc if they rebooked.

They sometimes do overbook or want your cabin for some reason so they offer some passengers a free cruise and their money back as refundable OBC if they agree to give up their cabin. It usually is offered about 48 hours prior to leaving so you have to be flexible. Not much use if you have booked airline flights and organised animals in kennels etc. or leave from work.

We were due to sail on the Saturday and on the Thursday I was contacted with the deal and they confirmed on the Friday that we were one of the "lucky" ones. I was so excited but also felt down because my bag was packed and the ship was at Port Melbourne and I wasn't on her. It was to be my first time on Princess line.

I had read about these offers but never thought I would receive one, I'm usually not that lucky. We were also offered an upgrade from balcony to mini suite.

So instead of sailing to Tassie last March we are now going in December. I had bought the ticket for a good price so perhaps they also target those who have paid the cheapest fare. That's me - a bargain hunter!

Yes the world is a small place. I have bumped into a lady from my exercise class (didn't know she was going), another who lives around the corner and my son has bumped into people he went to school with 30 years ago and also neighbours of his.

• 2 months later...

Odine

what happened to your March cruise as it would have been cancelled by now? have you been rebooked?

Our march 3 nighter was cancelled to kangaroo island and they rebooked us ono ne in February

since its mid week and have to take more time off work decided to book the southern getaway 6 nights to Adelaide

kangaroo island, Port Lincoln on the 26th Jan instead

We have been offered the 12 night trip to the Islands in January or move over to the Golden Princess NZ cruises on either 25 Feb or 10 March within a similar category and maybe the same OBC or drinks packages that we had with the P&O cruise but they cannot guarantee anything yet.

They told our agents to put in a preference by 7 Sept then they contacted passengers directly without telling our travel agents and said it had to be in by 20 Aug (also said the alternate cruises were 25 Feb and 23rd March then 30mins later contacted us again and said they were wrong - meant to be 10 Mar not 23rd) and gave us 2 days to make up our minds.

I contacted my agent who was furious that they had bypassed them (a no no) and we have opted for 10 March but we had booked when there was an offer of 3 times OBC and we had over $1000 OBC which was the reason I was happy to pay the fare I did because you take all things into account when making up your mind about pricing. They also gave us the option of cancelling. I had used P&O FBC's for the deposit so not sure where that leaves us with Princess either.

I have no idea what the outcome will be and we are waiting to see what exactly we are offered. If it is not the equivalent or we are not happy then we will just cancel it, I am over it now.

I had to cancel our November Golden trip to NZ because I had a heart attack 2 months ago and was in no fit state to make up my mind if I would be ok by then. Final payment was due so wasn't prepared to take the chance of something happening in the middle of the Tasman. We've thrown ourselves on their mercy to get some of the deposit back as a future credit or something and it looks like they may give us something. The attack came completely out of the blue, totally unexpected and evidently anxiety related.

I was looking forward to the P&O cruise because I thought 12 days in March would be fine but P&O had other ideas.

I am still going on the 5 night trip to Tassie in late Dec so hope all will be well then. Not so far from home but boy does a heart attack make your insurance expensive.

Hope you enjoy your Southern Adventure. I love Port Lincoln and SA trips. It is a pity they don't still call in at Portland. Not sure what happened that they stopped calling there.

:)

So sorry to hear about your health hope you feel better soon

when they rebooked us to what they wanted we got to keep all previous on board credit and offers and given $100 each

extra on board credit but when we werent happy with what they transfered us to our previous booking was cancelled

got to keep the $100 each with new on board credit worked out a bit extra lost a photo package (big deal) we have a million

cruise photos oh wow we got a pair of P&O socks though

Wow a pair of socks, I hope a pair each. :D

I will let you know what the outcome is for the NZ cruise. As that was the only P&O 12 nighter to NZ there was no equivalent hence the Princess offer.

Think this will take some sorting out because the cabin categories are not exactly the same for both lines.

Just waiting to see what happens. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have given up on the whole idea of changing cruises with no control over what they give me so have cancelled the P&O NZ cruise especially in light of my recent problems. Will just get back my deposit as FCD but that is ok. One less thing to stress over for the timebeing.

I have a 5 nighter to Tasmania on the Golden just before Christmas and managed to book a 9 nighter to the Islands in Carnival's recent 48 hr sale, $788 pp twin share for a Guaratee balcony leaving on 28 Jan so that is a bargain and I will see how I feel later in the season if I find any other bargains and feel like going.

Otherwise I am happy to wait for the 2019/20 season when hopefully I will be feeling in a better space.

Enjoy your cruises.