What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

55 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

Logistical question...  re: winning bids...  Let's say you win and are notified 48 hours before your cruise departs...  Does that mean you will have to print all new docs and make new luggage tags?  Interested as we will have already arrived in Florida 2 days prior to cruise...

If you can print them, do so...but don't worry, the ports have tags there that you can fill out with your new room number. 

They will have your new room assignments in the system when you check-in, so it isn't the end of the world.

If I were already out of town, I would try to use my hotel's printer to reprint if possible.

3 hours ago, cliffd64 said:

Logistical question...  re: winning bids...  Let's say you win and are notified 48 hours before your cruise departs...  Does that mean you will have to print all new docs and make new luggage tags?  Interested as we will have already arrived in Florida 2 days prior to cruise...

The same thing happened to me. Your docs are good because your reservation number doesn't change. I got new luggage tags at the port before sailing. Very easy!

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:30 AM, JamieLogical said:

Not necessarily. They may still do some "shifting" around of rooms via upgrade. But chances are probably pretty low.

Thanks Jamie! I'm still holding out hope as my NCL page is still saying "Lets get you upgraded"! The ship appears to be totally sold out so not sure if they are teasing me or something in the works.

I was originally booked in Haven H8 on Bliss. I was only interested in upgrading to owners suite or 2 bedroom as I wanted the separate bedroom. My bidding options started at $795 per person for 2 bedroom and $990 per person for owners suite. Yesterday I noticed a price drop for the H6 aft baclony, so called NCL and was able to upgrade from my H8 to an H6 for free. Today, my bidding offers have changed to only show the 2 bedroom and owners suite (originally included the courtyard penthouse and aft balcony) but the minimum bid amount is still the same, despite me now being in a higher category to begin with. I don't intend to bid, but thought I would share as I was wondering if the suggested bid amounts were based on cabin category rather than price paid - this experience suggests it is price paid!

4 minutes ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

VICTORY!!  9/15 Breakaway 5 days before sold out cruise upgrade awarded. Original booking CAS comp Inside. Bids = Spa Balcony $330 (good) DENIED. Balcony $330 (good) DENIED. Outside $130 (good) ACCEPTED

Congrats!

18 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

VICTORY!!  9/15 Breakaway 5 days before sold out cruise upgrade awarded. Original booking CAS comp Inside. Bids = Spa Balcony $330 (good) DENIED. Balcony $330 (good) DENIED. Outside $130 (good) ACCEPTED

What is Outside $130???

1 hour ago, cliffd64 said:

it means he bid an extra $130 per person for the upgrade to Outside cabin.

Didn’t know there were inside & outside cabin prices.  Use to seeing prices for Inside, Oceanview, Balcony, Mini-suite, Spa, Haven.  If Outside is Oceanview then that’s a nice upgrade.   Thanks for info.

Here is a report on our recent auction experience.

Several weeks ago I bid $240 pp for an upgrade from an inside to a balcony on the Sept 16 sailing of the Jewel Anchorage to Vancouver.  At that time, availability and pricing was very good in all categories. Found out this morning (48 hours before the cruise), however, that our bid was not accepted.

The original bid was in the high “fair” range, and it stayed that way each time I checked.  We booked through VTG, and noted that the balcony prices remained flat up until about a week before the cruise, when they declined slightly.  About four days before the cruise all cabins on VTG went to “sold out” except for the inside cabins, which dropped to only $299 pp for the seven day cruise.  I looked on the Norwegian website at that time and cabin availability/pricing was the same as on VTG. I was hoping that Norwegian was just taking some of their higher end cabins off the market to prepare for the upcoming auction, but they obviously did sell out (. . . .or some folks bid more than we did).

We will have a good time on the cruise regardless!!

Edited by Petersonfcu

2 hours ago, Petersonfcu said:

Here is a report on our recent auction experience.

Several weeks ago I bid $240 pp for an upgrade from an inside to a balcony on the Sept 16 sailing of the Jewel Anchorage to Vancouver.  At that time, availability and pricing was very good in all categories. Found out this morning (48 hours before the cruise), however, that our bid was not accepted.

The original bid was in the high “fair” range, and it stayed that way each time I checked.  We booked through VTG, and noted that the balcony prices remained flat up until about a week before the cruise, when they declined slightly.  About four days before the cruise all cabins on VTG went to “sold out” except for the inside cabins, which dropped to only $299 pp for the seven day cruise.  I looked on the Norwegian website at that time and cabin availability/pricing was the same as on VTG. I was hoping that Norwegian was just taking some of their higher end cabins off the market to prepare for the upcoming auction, but they obviously did sell out (. . . .or some folks bid more than we did).

We will have a good time on the cruise regardless!!

We have also booked thru VTG an inside cabin. When I noticed OV was same price as I had paid for inside I called my TA and he got NCL to upgrade us to obstructed OV. I have also bid on a balcony but given your experience I'll not hold out too much hope.

7 minutes ago, Firepath said:

We have also booked thru VTG an inside cabin. When I noticed OV was same price as I had paid for inside I called my TA and he got NCL to upgrade us to obstructed OV. I have also bid on a balcony but given your experience I'll not hold out too much hope.

No reason to lose hope or change your bid. Each experience can be quite different. The computer/algorith might love you not but if you don't bid, as with any lottary, you don't have a chance.  

Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

If I bid for a balcony from an inside, and it is accepted, I'm assuming I bargained for a balcony guarantee. Yes?

If you win your bid you will also at that time get your cabin assignment, it could be any balcony excellent, to poor location and you will not be able to change assignment 

37 minutes ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

If you win your bid you will also at that time get your cabin assignment, it could be any balcony excellent, to poor location and you will not be able to change assignment 

Basically it's no different than a guarantee but at lesser cost. If I'm in inside and bid on a balcony, my bidding functions the same was as a guarantee does. If I win I get a balcony or better

Edited by Petoonya

34 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Basically it's no different than a guarantee but at lesser cost. If I'm in inside and bid on a balcony, my bidding functions the same was as a guarantee does. If I win I get a balcony or better

Balcony only no mini suite etc. just a balcony in any location the computer algorithm chooses 

1 minute ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

Balcony only no mini suite etc. just a balcony in any location the computer algorithm chooses 

You're not understanding my point. I realize that It's balcony only.

My point is that this is very much like a guarantee. You bid based knowing you will get any balcony,  not a balcony or higher, just any balcony.

That is a form of a guarantee. I understand that a true guarantee is a paying for a stateroom in a certain category, while accepting the cruise line will later assign a stateroom in that category or higher. When you bid on, say, an oceanview or a balcony you don't know where you'll end up, similar to a guarantee.

38 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

You're not understanding my point. I realize that It's balcony only.

My point is that this is very much like a guarantee. You bid based knowing you will get any balcony,  not a balcony or higher, just any balcony.

That is a form of a guarantee. I understand that a true guarantee is a paying for a stateroom in a certain category, while accepting the cruise line will later assign a stateroom in that category or higher. When you bid on, say, an oceanview or a balcony you don't know where you'll end up, similar to a guarantee.

Yes, the result is the same as a balcony guarantee if you win because Norwegian controls your specific cabin assignment.   Hopefully, its of lesser cost, but that all depends on what you bid.  🙂

4 minutes ago, Petersonfcu said:

Yes, the result is the same as a balcony guarantee if you win because Norwegian controls your specific cabin assignment.   Hopefully, its of lesser cost, but that all depends on what you bid.  🙂

Thanks so much 🙂

We currently have a family balcony on the Escape leaving Oct 6 for 4 of us. The Haven bid upgrades are way out of our price range but the minimum for a mini suite is $25.00. Is the mini suite worth bidding on for the extra room?  I will have a travel scooter with me.  I read some mini suites have a large shower, others a tub only - not sure if the tub would accommodate a shower chair? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!  Can't wait for Oct 6!!!!

18 minutes ago, ckre4d said:

We currently have a family balcony on the Escape leaving Oct 6 for 4 of us. The Haven bid upgrades are way out of our price range but the minimum for a mini suite is $25.00. Is the mini suite worth bidding on for the extra room?  I will have a travel scooter with me.  I read some mini suites have a large shower, others a tub only - not sure if the tub would accommodate a shower chair? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!  Can't wait for Oct 6!!!!

I was in a mini-suite on the Escape, it was not a family mini so it had the large shower (the family mini has the tub). I am not sure how wide a shower chair is but I think the large shower would be able to accommodate it. The mini suite also has double sinks so it is wider than the typical balcony bathroom. Some will tell you it is not worth the extra money to upgrade to a mini-suite, but for someone with mobility issues the larger bathroom would probably be a big benefit. Since you only have to pay the bid amount for the first 2 people, it could actually be quite the bargain if you do get it. I will personally bid for a mini again on my upcoming Encore cruise - even though there were only 2 of us, the larger bathroom allowed us to both get ready for dinner/dancing (or bed!) simultaneously so contributed to our peaceful, stress-free vacation experience and that is priceless!

• Like 1