What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

1 hour ago, jlowe420 said:

Well thats bad news, I was hoping for the same on the 2/2 sailing.  I have a pretty aggressive offer in so I guess now I'm hoping for someone to cancel.

I’m still waiting to hear on my Haven bid for the 2/2 sailing on the Encore. From what I’ve gathered, the havens can be awarded late in the game. I’m fairly confident on my bits but I’ll keep everyone posted. I’m anticipating hearing something  in the next few days. 

8 minutes ago, NCLholic said:

I’m still waiting to hear on my Haven bid for the 2/2 sailing on the Encore. From what I’ve gathered, the havens can be awarded late in the game. I’m fairly confident on my bits but I’ll keep everyone posted. I’m anticipating hearing something  in the next few days. 

My fingers are crossed for you (us)!

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

That must be such a gutting experience.  I spend so much time working out what we are going to do, I cannot imagine how a Refund as to just the cruise cost, would work out. 

It was very disappointing to have the cruise cancelled but in terms of refund we got 100% of what we paid back (which included gratuities and upgrade bids). We however got only the base cruise fare on our future cruise credit so that did not include what we’d spent on gratuities and Upgrade bid or the taxes and fees.  Hope that makes sense. We were very grateful for the cruise credit on top of our refund so really can’t complain. 😀

7 hours ago, MaryZ said:

.....It's up to each individual to decide what to bid. 
What I bid really has no bearing on anything.  Middle of good is enough information I think.  If everyone posts that their bids are in the middle of good, then you know that's where you should go if you want a decent chance to win.  If you want to gamble, go lower. 

I agree entirely with your rationale, the amount bid is really 'redundant' information as the minimum bid varies by cruise, availability etc. To state where you bid in the range offered i.e. poor/fair/good etc. is much more useful, to me at any rate, particularly if you add low/medium/high end of the range to the narrative.....and, to be clear, I too have an analytical mind.

Edited by hamrag

9 hours ago, mianmike said:

If people aren't comfortable sharing their bid amount in this thread, (the "What was your upgrade offer and what did you BID") maybe they should post in another thread.   If there's enough interest, someone could start the: "My bid was accepted and it's a secret" thread.  😉

😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Funny you'd suggest it be retired when it sometimes gets 8-10 posts a day.  I still find it interesting and I've been following it for a long time. 

Entertaining perhaps. Informative not. These boards should be used to share information not for amusement (and don’t tell me posters postulating on any conceivable bid winning logarithm in the book is information). Trash it.

40 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Entertaining perhaps. Informative not. These boards should be used to share information not for amusement (and don’t tell me posters postulating on any conceivable bid winning logarithm in the book is information). Trash it.

Funny you should say that - what information are YOU sharing?  LOL

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hamrag said:

I agree entirely with your rationale, the amount bid is really 'redundant' information as the minimum bid varies by cruise, availability etc. To state where you bid in the range offered i.e. poor/fair/good etc. is much more useful, to me at any rate, particularly if you add low/medium/high end of the range to the narrative.....and, to be clear, I too have an analytical mind.

I appreciate an analytical mind.  I've been tracking bids and it's very time consuming.  Looking for a less labor intensive way.  Maybe you can help.  I haven't found the "vague" range (poor/fair/good) to be particularly helpful except at the extremes. The cruises vary so much, my spreadsheet "needs" a numerical bid figure so I can ratio it against vacancy rates, days to cruise, length of cruise and cabin cost.  

Question: how do you quantify a "range" (poor/fair/good) bid?    

52 minutes ago, mianmike said:

I appreciate an analytical mind.  I've been tracking bids and it's very time consuming.  Looking for a less labor intensive way.  Maybe you can help.  I haven't found the "vague" range (poor/fair/good) to be particularly helpful except at the extremes. The cruises vary so much, my spreadsheet "needs" a numerical bid figure so I can ratio it against vacancy rates, days to cruise, length of cruise and cabin cost.  

Question: how do you quantify a "range" (poor/fair/good) bid?    

When you bid, there is a slider for the bid amount, as they amount increases, a scale shows you where that bid lands in the poor/fair/good range.

Here are two snips, one showing no bid and the other showing a good one. (This is for a cabin that I am eligible to bid on but have not which is why I am happy to post the images.)

no bid.PNG

good bid.PNG

17 minutes ago, Aladora said:

When you bid, there is a slider for the bid amount, as they amount increases, a scale shows you where that bid lands in the poor/fair/good range.

Here are two snips, one showing no bid and the other showing a good one. (This is for a cabin that I am eligible to bid on but have not which is why I am happy to post the images.)

no bid.PNG

good bid.PNG

I understand that, problem is I can't see that page unless I'm booked on that particular cruise.  The starting bid and maximum bid vary by cruise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mianmike said:

I understand that, problem is I can't see that page unless I'm booked on that particular cruise.  The starting bid and maximum bid vary by cruise. 

That is the point....you cannot control the start/end amount, and is precisely why analysing the range and point on the range which is successful works for me. I do not over-analyse, happy to understand what types of bid are most successful.

Edited by hamrag

1 minute ago, hamrag said:

That is the point....you cannot control start/end, and is precisely why analysing the range and point on the range which is successful works for me. I do not over-analyse, happy to understand what types of bid are most successful.

I would agree that using a vague variable input such as a bid range is not over-analyzing.  If inputting numerical data is considered over-analyzing then I'm guilty as charged. lol  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mianmike said:

I would agree that using a vague variable input such as a bid range is not over-analyzing.  If inputting numerical data is considered over-analyzing then I'm guilty as charged. lol  

On 1/25/2020 at 7:05 PM, trish4bruce said:

On Thursday I booked an OV partially obstructed and my only option at the time was a accessible room on the Dawn for March 15, 2020.  I would have preferred not to book accessible as we do not need it but no other option for obstructed view.  I just got the bid email.   $250 (CDN) was minimum bid for a mini suite and $200 (CDN) for balcony.  Seemed a bit high but I was happy to get the option.   Now I just have to wait and not keep going in and upping my 

You cant over analyze any bid.  It's a waste of time, and will drive you crazy.  Different people,  booked on different ships, in different stateroom categories, are sent different starting bid amounts.   Make no mistake,  NCL is a business,  and wants to make as much money as possible off any one sailing.   You can not possibly analyze it because you have no idea what people are willing to bid, or if someone is willing to pay top rate for a cabin that is not available and the person that has that cabin bid to upgrade.   It's not supposed to make sense to anyone except the company trying to make as much money as they can, it's just great business for them, and a fun feeling lotto for everyone else.  

• Like 2

I just want to chime in a little here.  Trying to track what you should bid via a spreadsheet sounds like a TON of work that will not give you any type of good data.  Now, I want you to know I work for a company that sells data software, and I am an engineer.  The problem you are going to run into here is your data is not complete.  Every boat has different numbers of booked rooms vs. non-booked, and original cost of rooms is also a factor. You would also need to know ALL the bids given and their amounts and ALL the bids accepted and their amounts for you to have enough of data-set to start with.  Are you telling me you collect and track this for every single cruise?  If so, I think it would be cheaper to just buy the room you want.  It would cost less then your value on the hours you are spending doing this.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I just want to chime in a little here.  Trying to track what you should bid via a spreadsheet sounds like a TON of work that will not give you any type of good data.  Now, I want you to know I work for a company that sells data software, and I am an engineer.  The problem you are going to run into here is your data is not complete.  Every boat has different numbers of booked rooms vs. non-booked, and original cost of rooms is also a factor. You would also need to know ALL the bids given and their amounts and ALL the bids accepted and their amounts for you to have enough of data-set to start with.  Are you telling me you collect and track this for every single cruise?  If so, I think it would be cheaper to just buy the room you want.  It would cost less then your value on the hours you are spending doing this.

Can't argue with a thing you said.  But I'm an analytical person so I like to analyze.   For me the journey (collecting data) is as much fun as the destination (making an educated bid).  I'm obsessed with finding value. Achieving as much value as I can is my hobby.  All I can hope to do is come up with an educated guess as to what to bid given the current conditions based on similar historical situations.  I know I will never crack the "code."  But I just couldn't handle bidding solely on my gut.  I'm weird, I know. 

• Like 3

Just wanted to update those that answered my bidding questions. I became inpatient and had my TA call and just book me a balcony. And have a room assigned. 
so I cancelled my bid. 
but would I still have a chance to bid upwards past the balcony I have now paid for? 
gracelyn

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

Just wanted to update those that answered my bidding questions. I became inpatient and had my TA call and just book me a balcony. And have a room assigned. 
so I cancelled my bid. 
but would I still have a chance to bid upwards past the balcony I have now paid for? 
gracelyn

Yes. This happened to us on a past cruise as we bumped ourselves up to a higher category and then received the chance to upgrade from that other cabin.

You will likely get a "new" offer to bid.  This time, since you are in a balcony, you will have opportunity to bid on Haven category cabins.

If you do not get an offer within 48-72 hrs, contact "upgradetechissues@ncl.com" 

We needed to do that to get the updated link.

44 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Yes. This happened to us on a past cruise as we bumped ourselves up to a higher category and then received the chance to upgrade from that other cabin.

You will likely get a "new" offer to bid.  This time, since you are in a balcony, you will have opportunity to bid on Haven category cabins.

If you do not get an offer within 48-72 hrs, contact "upgradetechissues@ncl.com" 

We needed to do that to get the updated link.

Awesome! Thank you I just couldn’t wait for bids to be settled lol. And being able to pick my cabin took stress of the “worst” scenario. 

I'm curious to know if having a room category that is more desirable and less available makes it more likely to win an upgrade bid? Do spa balcony holders have a higher chance of upgrading because a lot of people want to bid on the the spa cabins? Any thoughts or results?