What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

Any idea what the circumstances are for processing bids early? Is it because there are still so many rooms available? I ask because my bid on Bliss September 30th was accepted two weeks ago and I'm curious as to why it was done so far out. So far no one else on our roll call have had bids accepted...

It just happens. They process bids along the way. They do not always wait til the last week. Most of my bids have been accepted long before the last 3-5 days.

around 45 days is pretty common for the first round of bids to be accepted.

Yet I did notice that earlier this year, most of the bids came the Tues & Wed of the sat/sun sailings. Now it seems to have gone back to what it was in the beginning.

And for my latest bid, it was not a high bid at all. It remained in the so called "poor range.

Any idea what the circumstances are for processing bids early? Is it because there are still so many rooms available? I ask because my bid on Bliss September 30th was accepted two weeks ago and I'm curious as to why it was done so far out. So far no one else on our roll call have had bids accepted...

The three scenarios where bids seem to be processed early are:

1. The ship is at/near capacity and they are closing bookings, so they go ahead and process the bids.
  2. They are about to lower prices on the sailing and want to "lock in" the higher bids before people lower them accordingly or just decide to pay to directly upgrade.
  3. They do seem to have sort of an "auto-accept" threshold set for some categories for some sailings, where a high-ish bid is accepted almost immediately and is not processed along with the mass processing of bids they do later in the game. For example, they may set an auto-accept threshold of say $350 to go from an inside to a balcony so that if someone puts in that bid, it is just accepted almost immediately (probably on some sort of daily schedule?), whereas they would hold off on processing the vast majority of the bids for that sailing until closer to the sail date and they would process them all at once, since the algorithm to maximize profits is pretty complicated, relying on coming up with which combination of upgrades for all passengers makes the most money.

"Dear Diane,

Thank you for emailing the website technical support department for Norwegian Cruise Line and we apologize for any inconvenience.

We checked with our Upgrade Advantage department regarding your eligibility for the program.

Unfortunately your cabin type “Spa Mini-suite” is currently excluded from participation.

We are currently looking at changes to the program which may allow bids for this type of cabin in future.

If you become eligible for the program, we will send you an email with instructions, or you will see an option to bid when you login to your online account.

In the meantime, if you would like to explore other upgrade options, please contact our Reservations department for assistance."

Finally got the official email from the NCL tech dept about bidding. It is as we suspected-excluded from participation-not a tech issue.

"Dear Diane,

Thank you for emailing the website technical support department for Norwegian Cruise Line and we apologize for any inconvenience.

We checked with our Upgrade Advantage department regarding your eligibility for the program.

Unfortunately your cabin type “Spa Mini-suite” is currently excluded from participation.

We are currently looking at changes to the program which may allow bids for this type of cabin in future.

If you become eligible for the program, we will send you an email with instructions, or you will see an option to bid when you login to your online account.

In the meantime, if you would like to explore other upgrade options, please contact our Reservations department for assistance."

Finally got the official email from the NCL tech dept about bidding. It is as we suspected-excluded from participation-not a tech issue.

I suspect they had a lot of complaints of people bidding out of spa rooms only to find out they're not allowed to access the spa any more. I realize its in the fine print, but people are generally dumb.

The three scenarios where bids seem to be processed early are:

1. The ship is at/near capacity and they are closing bookings, so they go ahead and process the bids.
  2. They are about to lower prices on the sailing and want to "lock in" the higher bids before people lower them accordingly or just decide to pay to directly upgrade.
  3. They do seem to have sort of an "auto-accept" threshold set for some categories for some sailings, where a high-ish bid is accepted almost immediately and is not processed along with the mass processing of bids they do later in the game. For example, they may set an auto-accept threshold of say $350 to go from an inside to a balcony so that if someone puts in that bid, it is just accepted almost immediately (probably on some sort of daily schedule?), whereas they would hold off on processing the vast majority of the bids for that sailing until closer to the sail date and they would process them all at once, since the algorithm to maximize profits is pretty complicated, relying on coming up with which combination of upgrades for all passengers makes the most money.

Thanks!

Makes sense!

"Dear Diane,

Thanks for posting this...I have been told time and time again from calling in that this is a glitch...I hate getting lied to. Thanks for confirming what I suspected. !

I suspect they had a lot of complaints of people bidding out of spa rooms only to find out they're not allowed to access the spa any more. I realize its in the fine print, but people are generally dumb.

Your last sentence is the most accurate statement i’ve read on CC all year!

I really think the solution to the Spa problem is to break out spa balconies and spa mini-suites into their own separate categories (the way each of the Havens are their own category). If someone in a spa bids on a non-spa upgrade, give them a big, in-your-face, pop up warning them that they will lose their spa privileges. If they bid on a spa upgrade, then no warning necessary. And it would be nice for people in non-spa rooms to be able to bid up to the spa version of their same meta. So someone in a normal balcony could bid up to a spa balcony, even though it's technically still in the "balcony" meta.

I really think the solution to the Spa problem is to break out spa balconies and spa mini-suites into their own separate categories (the way each of the Havens are their own category). If someone in a spa bids on a non-spa upgrade, give them a big, in-your-face, pop up warning them that they will lose their spa privileges. If they bid on a spa upgrade, then no warning necessary. And it would be nice for people in non-spa rooms to be able to bid up to the spa version of their same meta. So someone in a normal balcony could bid up to a spa balcony, even though it's technically still in the "balcony" meta.

Sounds "logical" to me!:D I wish they would.

I'm on Breakaway in 55 days and a few weeks ago my upgrade was approved from a Family Balcony, (B3), to a Spa Mini Suite, (M9), with a $150pp bid. When I got the message I could upgrade I was given a selection of staterooms starting at the top with the Owners Suite, down through all the Haven cabins and then Mini Suites. I chose Mini Suite and was awarded the Spa Mini. I was very happy with the award and didn't think about it until I did some mock bookings. At the choose cabin portion of the booking I entered Mini, but the Spa Mini wasn't there. When I backtracked and clicked Spa it gave me 3 choices, Haven Spa, Spa Mini and Spa Balcony. So when you book they are differentiating between Mini and Spa Mini but in the upgrade program they're not. I'm still confused, but not so confused that I would look a gift horse in the mouth!

I'm on Breakaway in 55 days and a few weeks ago my upgrade was approved from a Family Balcony, (B3), to a Spa Mini Suite, (M9), with a $150pp bid. When I got the message I could upgrade I was given a selection of staterooms starting at the top with the Owners Suite, down through all the Haven cabins and then Mini Suites. I chose Mini Suite and was awarded the Spa Mini. I was very happy with the award and didn't think about it until I did some mock bookings. At the choose cabin portion of the booking I entered Mini, but the Spa Mini wasn't there. When I backtracked and clicked Spa it gave me 3 choices, Haven Spa, Spa Mini and Spa Balcony. So when you book they are differentiating between Mini and Spa Mini but in the upgrade program they're not. I'm still confused, but not so confused that I would look a gift horse in the mouth!

Oh, clearly they differentiate for direct bookings. And many people do get upgraded to spa balconies and spa mini-suites through the upgrade advantage program. But you can't choose them. They are lumped in with all the others for the purposes of upgrading. But now, they aren't letting people who book spa rooms directly bid for upgrades at all, to any category, because I guess some people complained about being awarded bids to non-spa categories and losing their spa privileges. Now all passengers who book spa cabins have to be punished because a few people didn't read the FAQ and then complained about it.

Now all passengers who book spa cabins have to be punished because a few people didn't read the FAQ and then complained about it.
This! It does not seem quite fair that people without spa cabins can upgrade to spa cabins and those of us with spa cabins cannot at least be given a chance to upgrade.

I wonder if you had a regular balcony but bought the spa packages separate before sailing, would that deter them from giving you an upgrade to the spa Haven?

No and many people do get awarded spa upgrades after having already purchased a spa pass. I have heard of multiple people requesting and receiving a refund for their spa pass in those cases.

As with any other new program, the glitches still need to get worked out. I’m not sure why so many people are getting upset with the system, when a few months ago the option didn’t even exist! HAHA! Oh well.....

One thing is for sure, they need to fix the “spa” issue because that last thing any of us want is an over-crowded spa areas caused by double bookings!! Now THAT would be a tragedy! HAHA!

“Innovation without pain is just luck.” - ME

I agree, that does sound “logical.” Additionally, breaking out those cabins in the bidding should net NCL more profits, as people on these boards express the desire to upgrade to spa or aft categories within their mini or balcony meta only to learn UpgradeAdvantage does not accommodate that.

As with any other new program, the glitches still need to get worked out. I’m not sure why so many people are getting upset with the system, when a few months ago the option didn’t even exist! HAHA! Oh well.....

Not upset necessarily, just trying to understand exactly what the issue is. I was told twice that it was a technical issue, once that I would be able to bid in a week (by phone reps) and then just got an email saying that I was not eligible. I would rather they just tell me I was not eligible up front instead of giving me the "run around". I have never bid before for a room. Was interested in seeing what it all entailed. Maybe they will fix this spa situation in the near future.

(y)

We are in a Mini Suite and could only bid on Haven cabins which were all sold out Lol. I would have been nice to bid on a Spa Mini Suite

(y)

We are in a Mini Suite and could only bid on Haven cabins which were all sold out Lol. I would have been nice to bid on a Spa Mini Suite

If you are able to bid on a Haven you may still win your bid. People in haven's are apparently bidding on a higher category which would make their haven available. I'd still try if it is in the range of what I'd be willing to pay.

Not upset necessarily, just trying to understand exactly what the issue is. I was told twice that it was a technical issue, once that I would be able to bid in a week (by phone reps) and then just got an email saying that I was not eligible. I would rather they just tell me I was not eligible up front instead of giving me the "run around". I have never bid before for a room. Was interested in seeing what it all entailed. Maybe they will fix this spa situation in the near future.

I hear ya!

Though was not addressing my comment to any specific post, as it’s just the way NCL (and others) work sometime.

I honestly think the Customer Service reps simply don’t know the answers. They were told HOW it works, but not how to address the exceptions.

In our experience (and others on CC), they still have trouble getting specialty dinners and excursions booked and billed properly, so I expected a longer learning curve when the “bidding war” was introduced.

Hopefully they’ll figure it out in time.

Or at least have a unified reply for those who inquire! [emoji6]

I wonder if you had a regular balcony but bought the spa packages separate before sailing, would that deter them from giving you an upgrade to the spa Haven?

Did this exact thing in July on the Getaway and won our bid. Probably SLIGHTLY over-paid based on historical #s ($810 per person vs 750-750 being a common winning range), but since we were going to buy spa passes anyway it was really only $610 more than I was going to pay - I was pleased.

Once I received notification of the winning bid I called and cancelled our spa passes. Easy-peasy.