What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

We are in a B9 Spa Balcony on NCL Getaway and we received the upgrade message at precisely 80 days. We have 2 rooms booked with 3 pax each. Minimum bids (per person for 2) were:

1. H2 - Deluxe Owners Suite: $1,500

2. H3 - Owners Suite: $1,500

3. H4 - 2 Bedroom: $1,000

4. H6 - Aft Penthouse: $750

5. H7 - Forward facing penthouse: $400

6. Spa Minisuite: $50

I originally placed a bid on both rooms, but have since cancelled because I would only be interested in upgrading to the Haven, but only if BOTH rooms were upgraded which is not guaranteed. I also wanted the 2 bedrooms because we need the extra beds and I think the $2K price is way too steep for a minimum bid. We only paid $3,100 per room including tips and since we booked on black friday we got free drinks, 3 upgraded meals, wifi, and $50 credit per excursion. We would lose spa access which would cost over $1K for the 4 adults traveling. I got so excited to try to bid to upgrade the room until I realized it was ridiculous to pay so much - we could go on another cruise for the cost of upgrading to the Haven.

But is it worth upgrading to the spa minisuite? It sounds like the only difference is a slightly bigger bathroom and better shower. I'm not sure that is really worth $100.

Also, has anyone had any luck addressing bidding issues by calling the upgrade number, or does that get you nowhere? (I saw an earlier post that someone asked if they would take less and ultimately NCL did reduce the upgrade cost, but that was many months ago when NCL was still transitioning to the new system).

We are sailing on the Breakaway Sept 23 and upgraded from a spa balcony to a spa minisuite. I thought since we are 3 adults in the cabin the bigger bathroom plus moving from a very forward cabin to midship near the stairs was worth the cost increase. It was less expensive than paying for this when we booked.

We are in a B9 Spa Balcony on NCL Getaway and we received the upgrade message at precisely 80 days. We have 2 rooms booked with 3 pax each. Minimum bids (per person for 2) were:

1. H2 - Deluxe Owners Suite: $1,500

2. H3 - Owners Suite: $1,500

3. H4 - 2 Bedroom: $1,000

4. H6 - Aft Penthouse: $750

5. H7 - Forward facing penthouse: $400

6. Spa Minisuite: $50

I originally placed a bid on both rooms, but have since cancelled because I would only be interested in upgrading to the Haven, but only if BOTH rooms were upgraded which is not guaranteed. I also wanted the 2 bedrooms because we need the extra beds and I think the $2K price is way too steep for a minimum bid. We only paid $3,100 per room including tips and since we booked on black friday we got free drinks, 3 upgraded meals, wifi, and $50 credit per excursion. We would lose spa access which would cost over $1K for the 4 adults traveling. I got so excited to try to bid to upgrade the room until I realized it was ridiculous to pay so much - we could go on another cruise for the cost of upgrading to the Haven.

But is it worth upgrading to the spa minisuite? It sounds like the only difference is a slightly bigger bathroom and better shower. I'm not sure that is really worth $100.

Also, has anyone had any luck addressing bidding issues by calling the upgrade number, or does that get you nowhere? (I saw an earlier post that someone asked if they would take less and ultimately NCL did reduce the upgrade cost, but that was many months ago when NCL was still transitioning to the new system).

Is a bigger bathroom with a bigger shower worth $100 for the week with three people in cabin? Totally up to you. One way to look at it....if each of you are in that bathroom five times a day, that is less than a dollar a visit. I would bid it if I were you.

I rather doubt calling to ask for a reduced cost will help. Some other cruiser will probably want that spa minisuite upgrade and be willing to pay more an $100. You do have an advantage over some of those bidder, because you would be vacating a spa balcony, which they could easily fill with another happy upgrade bidder.

I just got the “No” notice on my minimum plus $10 bid to go from balcony to aft penthouse. Too bad. I think I’ll have to drown my sorrows!

Aft penthouses always need more than that sort of bid. Most people really like them. So you always have to up your bid to get one.

Hmmm I am just interested in the process, I dont want the inside room either, but I dont want to ruin my chance for the balcony by bidding for both.

If you aren't really interested in an ocean view room, definitely don't bid on it. If Person A bids from an interior to a balcony, but doesn't bid on the OV and Person B bids on both, NCL is more likely to put Person A in the balcony and Person B in the OV so they get the money for both upgrades. Once you win a bid, you will be unable to bid again.

Does anyone here know if there is particular time of day or day of the week that they award upgrades?

It can vary widely. Usually 3-5 days before sailing is the norm. It seems Havens are usually awarded first. But that's about all we know. Some people get their upgrades weeks in advance. My one and only upgrade came around noon (eastern) on the Thursday before our Saturday sailing.

Whoo-hoo, got the notice about the chance to upgrade ... I did not get an email, but knowing it was 80 days out I logged in to ncl.com and checked my messages.

I'm inside, bid only on upgrade to balcony, and bid a low bid - I only went low because the cruise has tons of balcony cabins open, and it was an amount I was comfortable with.

So, as my cruise doesn't depart for months yet ... or rather another 80 days :-) ... it may be quite a while before I can tell anyone how things went. Still I wanted to post and thank everyone who put up their winning bids, it's helped me.

I bit at 80 days for the Epic TA in Nov, bid $200 total for a balcony and $260 total for a mini suite. 57 days to go and nothing although from my roll call I signed up for some have already won their bid (and for less). Oh well I'll keep waiting and hoping I get one of those.

Thank but not what I asked. I asked if there is a particular day of the week or time of day. For example do I# -> O# usually happen on a Tuesday around noon?

No one here can give an exact answer for that.

I can tell you my last upgrade to Haven came at 12:40pm on a Tuesday about 50 days before the cruise is leaving I get credit card notifications. So I know before I get emails.

For the cruise that follows it, I still have bids in but I'm not really sure if I will keep them in past this upcoming Tuesday. I'm already booked in a cabin that I really am happy with. My husband, on the other hand, is more of the wanting to be in haven all the time person.

I just got the “No” notice on my minimum plus $10 bid to go from balcony to aft penthouse. Too bad. I think I’ll have to drown my sorrows!

how do you know what the minimum is? I just got an upgrade offer from inside (location unknown, cabin not assigned as of yet) to OV or balcony, and it just has a sliding scale from 0 to $400 for balcony and from 0 to $200 for OV. How would I know what the minimum is?

how do you know what the minimum is? I just got an upgrade offer from inside (location unknown, cabin not assigned as of yet) to OV or balcony, and it just has a sliding scale from 0 to $400 for balcony and from 0 to $200 for OV. How would I know what the minimum is?

Usually from a regular balcony the minimum bid to go to an aft Haven penthouse on an away ship is $750

An aft penthouse on a Gem class ship is less but I have no idea what...

If you click on the 0 to 400 and move the dial slither it will show you the minimum price and as you move the dial the price will go up

If you click on the 0 to 400 and move the dial slither it will show you the minimum price and as you move the dial the price will go up

well, the dial is moving from 0 (No Offer) to $400 for the balcony, but it just says "poor offer" if I leave it at $50-100, but I didn't see any indication of a "minimum" offer.

ETA: oh, do you mean the size of an increment? And the first one is the min offer? If yes, then I understand now. So, the min bid for OV is $25 and for balcony it's $50.

This is for Jade in November, and I don't want to pay more than $200 total for a balcony upgrade. The difference in price between inside and balcony for the 3 of us is a $1,000 right this moment if I were to buy the cruise.

Can I make a $50 offer and if it doesn't get accepted, increase it to $100 pp and see if that works?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

In the email that they sent you inviting you to bid for an upgrade it listed on each category the minimum bid required. I believe it also lists this at the NCL site. The minimum bid listed is per person not per cabin. But only applies to the first two people.

162cf727a7eae5dc96c5b0343f06e454.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

well, the dial is moving from 0 (No Offer) to $400 for the balcony, but it just says "poor offer" if I leave it at $50-100, but I didn't see any indication of a "minimum" offer.

ETA: oh, do you mean the size of an increment? And the first one is the min offer? If yes, then I understand now. So, the min bid for OV is $25 and for balcony it's $50.

This is for Jade in November, and I don't want to pay more than $200 total for a balcony upgrade. The difference in price between inside and balcony for the 3 of us is a $1,000 right this moment if I were to buy the cruise.

Can I make a $50 offer and if it doesn't get accepted, increase it to $100 pp and see if that works?

Sure, you could do that if you wish. For now, you could enter a bid of $50 pp for the balcony. Theoretically, NCL’s system could accept that right away if they wish, but most bids are not accepted right away. Rather doubt $50 pp would be snapped up instantly. If it not, then you are left watching prices and availability. If at any time before your bid is accepted or declined you wish to cancel or change your bid you may. So, if the price of that balcony cabin happens to drop way down by some miracle, maybe you'll cancel your bid and book that balcony. Or maybe you’ll watch balcony prices and availability and decide to up your bid as the cruise approaches. Of course, if you waited too long to increase your bid, NCL might have already accepted other bids and filled those balcony cabins with higher bidders.

Does does anyone have insight on a 14 day cruise bid? I'm wondering if the bidding minimums are normal, some of them seem a little pricey considering a "fair bid" for some rooms would cost us more than if we called to upgrade at normal price. I can't decide what is worth it.

We're on the Panama Canal in a mini suite and would love a haven or suite. The minimum bids start at 500 all the way to 2k pp for the 3 bedroom haven. Everything is open except one haven and one suite. Mini suites are almost full but everything else seems empty. Do those prices seem normal? Thanks!

I've just received an upgrade offer. We are currently booked for an inside and can bid for an oceanview, balcony or spa balcony. I've researched a bit and see bids getting accepted at about $75pp for a balcony.

How can I research how many rooms are left on a ship?

thank you, Jana and Starry Eyes! I guess I was too impatient to check my email first. :) Sure enough, it says "starting at $50 pp for balcony".

I think I'll bid $100pp, so that I don't have to keep an eye on prices or check how many balconies remain and at what price.

Yeah, if you know it is worth $100 pp to you, it is probably easiest to just go ahead a bid that. Then you only need to adjust your bid if you decide you are willing to pay more or less as the cruise approaches.