The Retreat Sundeck Just Got More Interesting?

vtcruising

I will join you on 12/6 for that tasty, cold beverage, a photo op and some good people watching moments!! My husband and I were a little worried the retreat might be a little to country club for us as well. Michaels Club always gave us that vibe. We just want to "chill" and enjoy our vacation in modern luxury.

One of the things I like about sailing on a different ship is the surprises. I love it when a ship has something unexpected in an area (generally some "out there" piece of art). I always do a double take, often feel like it's weird, but then burst out laughing or at least it gets a big smile out of me. It makes us stop and look it over, get pictures with it and it often turns out to be a memorable thing about the ship, whether we like it or not.

I was lucky to get a good deal the first day on suites on the Edge, but likely won't be in suites thereafter. Although the Retreat sundeck looks lovely and sleek, it just doesn't look that laid back and low key, which is more inviting to us on vacation. It has an upscale country club feel, IMO, and that just isn't us, though I'm sure it's a good fit for many people.

I'm not complaining and feel lucky to have the opportunity to give the Retreat sundeck a try, but just explaining that seeing that VW bus sitting there (not in sync with the upscale design) made me laugh and also made me feel like this could be a laid back place where I would feel comfortable.

Obviously it will turn some people off, but even if they don't like it, at the very least it will be a great conversation piece and a nice photo op (and there are many other areas to sit where you won't see it). Maybe they will scrap the idea and not put it there at all or after a while they may roll it away to the junk yard (or make it a mobile beach van as TeeRick suggested), but I'm hoping it will at least be there for first cruise for a tasty, cold beverage, a photo op and some good people watching moments as they discover it! :cool:

I will join you on 12/6 for that tasty, cold beverage, a photo op and some good people watching moments!! My husband and I were a little worried the retreat might be a little to country club for us as well. Michaels Club always gave us that vibe. We just want to "chill" and enjoy our vacation in modern luxury.

Great! We will meet you next to the bus soon after we board on 12/6. We will be the ones in tie dye and bell bottoms laying in the big lounger next to the bus, enjoying our first drinks of the cruise. The 4 of us can get a great selfie. ;)

That’s true. It will be for Suites only.

Sad [emoji17]- something like that would be cool and funky for all. There are plenty of other gimmicks for suits. Oh well, X is truly on the path of clearly dividing guests into class system. Perhaps, they should stop promote “inclusiveness “ as it is not so much so. Starting with solo passengers with 100% surcharge ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sad [emoji17]- something like that would be cool and funky for all. There are plenty of other gimmicks for suits. Oh well, X is truly on the path of clearly dividing guests into class system. Perhaps, they should stop promote “inclusiveness “ as it is not so much so. Starting with solo passengers with 100% surcharge ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here we go again the the class system stuff.

What bar do you think will be complimentary? Do you think both the pool bar in the Retreat as well as the bar in the Retreat Lounge will both be complimentary? I was telling my husband we might not need a beverage package for the preview cruise because we are in a Suite, but he insisted we get it. (The premium package was included with our 7 day) He wants to get a drink from any bar on the ship and not be restricted. Just curious. I plan to make the pool bar in the retreat my home for the cruise, assuming it is not too windy. My last cruise on X, the guys at the sunset bar made us off the menu/special cocktails and it made our cruise. I hope we can find this at the pool bar at the retreat.

I too tend to stick to our own balcony when in a suite to avoid the crowds, but my DH does venture out to read on the deck above the pool and enjoys the people watching and bar service. I tried the suite sundeck on 2 different ships on RCI and it was way too windy up there. There were a few protected areas that weren't windy, but they seemed to have people or belongings on all of those loungers.

I think the Retreat will likely be used if it isn't windy up there, which I doubt because they seem to have a lot of winds buffers. It will be a nice package, with a pool (a really gorgeous pool, IMO), a bar and maybe even a munchie bus. Maybe they will have live music up there sometimes. The Retreat Lounge is down one deck, which would be a nice place to take a break from the sun.

With 176 suites and a minimum of 350 people eligible using the Retreat sundeck (and likely many more since there are many options for connected cabins for families and some very large suites that sleep way more than 2), I think it will be a busy place, especially at first, because everyone will want to try it out and those without beverage packages will want to be near the complimentary bar. The other pool deck is pretty awesome too and will probably have a livelier atmosphere that some may end up preferring and gravitate there.

The jury is out on how many will stay on their own balconies much of the time. Those of us who originally envisioned the Retreat as a quiet pool area and liked the idea of not needing to get up at 7 AM for loungers (like me) may end up staying on our balconies as you said, if it turns out to be too busy and there aren't enough loungers. I imagine I will do both on our January cruise, though on my preview cruises I doubt I will have much time to lay in the sun - I will be too busy exploring! :D

What bar do you think will be complimentary? Do you think both the pool bar in the Retreat as well as the bar in the Retreat Lounge will both be complimentary? I was telling my husband we might not need a beverage package for the preview cruise because we are in a Suite, but he insisted we get it. (The premium package was included with our 7 day) He wants to get a drink from any bar on the ship and not be restricted. Just curious. I plan to make the pool bar in the retreat my home for the cruise, assuming it is not too windy. My last cruise on X, the guys at the sunset bar made us off the menu/special cocktails and it made our cruise. I hope we can find this at the pool bar at the retreat.

I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing the Retreat pool bar will be complimentary, since the drinks from the Retreat Lounge will be free and is close by. I think if it as an extension of the lounge - with frozen drinks as well (in Michaels now they have to go to another bar to get frozen drinks). If not, we can run down to the lounge and grab a drink. We have the premium packages on all of our Edge cruises for the same reason as your DH. I want to have nice wines with dinner and the lovely- looking drinks in Eden and other specialty restaurants. We will be able to get all the bottled water, sodas, other non-alcoholic drinks from the coolers in the Retreat Lounge. They also will likely have the good coffee/tea/latte maker in there like they have in Michaels, but I love the look of Cafe al Bacio so will enjoy going there as well using the package. All the bars look nice so will definitely try them all, if I have the stamina. 😃

It truly is though - I have no problem with this as such. I do have a problem with the company’s misrepresentation of inclusiveness. As to this particular topic - it is hard to get excited about this cool yellow bus if it will stuck in the exclusive area only

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Celebrity already has a class system, its nothing new and it varies in degrees, starting with cabin selection that telegraphs at check in. Its an individual choice. A first time cruiser in a suite has one line, a first time cruiser in an inside has another check in line.

Its nothing new, its real, and its perfectly fine.

Just found another picture of the Van..I cannot upload it for some reason but the URL is attached. Fromthis view it looks like it will have drinks. Also, note the description! The retreat will be open late. I always wondered why on a cruise on X, people can’t use the hot tubs at night. I hope this means, we can enjoy a late night dip at least in the retreat.

Great! We will meet you next to the bus soon after we board on 12/6. We will be the ones in tie dye and bell bottoms laying in the big lounger next to the bus, enjoying our first drinks of the cruise. The 4 of us can get a great selfie. ;)
Edited by Mcampo

278c5bf5-e5e4-4bae-9b30-811072fd0c58

Just found another picture of the Van..from this view it looks like it will have drinks. Also, note the description! The retreat will be open late. I always wondered why on a cruise on X, people can’t use the hot tubs at night. I hope this means, we can enjoy a late night dip at least in the retreat.

Yes, when you blow up the one I posted, you can see cokes or some similar drinks. Your picture didn't come through. Do you have a link? :D

I cannot get it to upload.. lol.. I am having technical difficulty kind of like the celebrity website.. :)

Yes, when you blow up the one I posted, you can see cokes or some similar drinks. Your picture didn't come through. Do you have a link? :D

Cool shot, Mary! I added it below. I blew up the other one where you can see drinks.

As you said, it looks like a cool place to hang out at night. :D

"kellyhoppenThe Retreat| Think Cafe del Mar, Ibiza. The difference is, it's a place that you can sit and eat late into the night. It has a vibe, there's atmospheric music and is really one of a kind.

Normally, sun decks close early hours, filtering people inside and leaving them unable to enjoy the undisturbed views of the night ocean. The world is truly at your feet here, with beautifully designed furniture and interior design that rounds off the experience"

enhance

enhance

That is so nice and cool.

Yes, the more I see it, the more I like the look. The color is perfect for the decor (matches the pillows). :D

I think my DH is really going to enjoy this space. He likes to hang out in a lounger above the pool deck sometimes, but this looks more comfortable and if there is good music and excellent cold beverages, he will be in seventh heaven.

I really like it too! It looks like such a nice place to relax and enjoy the sea, while sipping on cocktails. I am hoping the retreat pool bar will have some new specifically cocktails for us to enjoy. I actually love the colors and find it extremely calming. The idea of being able to enjoy this space late into the evening while sailing the caribbean, sounds like heaven. The more and more we discuss, the more excited I am becoming!

Yes, the more I see it, the more I like the look. The color is perfect for the decor (matches the pillows). :D

I think my DH is really going to enjoy this space. He likes to hang out in a lounger above the pool deck sometimes, but this looks more comfortable and if there is good music and excellent cold beverages, he will be in seventh heaven.

OK, I am a child of the 60's and...nope, nope. nope...take the van away! I am with that group that thinks the VW distracts from the simplicity, serenity and clean lines of the retreat area. For the money, I want a restful, but elegant area...not something I see at a surfer beach;p

OK, I am a child of the 60's and...nope, nope. nope...take the van away! I am with that group that thinks the VW distracts from the simplicity, serenity and clean lines of the retreat area. For the money, I want a restful, but elegant area...not something I see at a surfer beach;p

YUP YUP YUP... I agree...

but I am not going to be in a suite on my EDGE cruises so I hope they keep it there and don't move it elsewhere to clutter the reg pool deck.

Some of the Edge designers are "out there"!

You might get your wish. I did seem some renderings of this area having large white pots with palm trees in it. I am a child of the 80's so for me the VM is very retro but I can understand and appreciate your point of view. We are all paying a lot of money for this area. :)

The Retreat looks big enough for the hippies and the non-hippies.

enhance

The starboard side could be for the non-hippies....

enhance

And the port side for the hippies - we could be called the B Side, because we have the bar and the bus on that side. ;p

Edited by vtcruising

You can find me on the B side starting 12/6, with drink in hand!

The Retreat looks big enough for the hippies and the non-hippies.

enhance

The starboard side could be for the non-hippies....

enhance

And the port side for the hippies - we could be called the B Side, because we have the bar, the bus and the bathrooms on our side. ;p