Current Cruise Director (CD) List

14 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Unfortunately, we had Leigh and Erky from Turkey years ago and they spoiled us!  They were the best.  Also, Abe Hughes was good.  Sorry to see them go.

they were the absolute best! A dynamic duo that hasn't been matched anywhere. Spoiled is a understatement

22 hours ago, mcgore83 said:

Thoughts on Jimmy Rhodes?

Not a fan at all! 

I've seen many people talk about who they thought were the best. For us, personally we felt like Richard Spacey was the absolute best cruise director. I think about him often (glad I follow him on social media), and miss him every time we are on a cruise. He should have bee the director of training for all CD's 😉

On 11/5/2019 at 6:31 PM, DaniDanielle said:

Unfortunately, we had Leigh and Erky from Turkey years ago and they spoiled us!  They were the best.  Also, Abe Hughes was good.  Sorry to see them go.

We have had many different CD's over our 28 cruises.  Some we have enjoyed more than others....all are different.  One or two 'spoiled' us in personal ways and for that we had a very special cruise with them....every CD brings with them different styles and some will be loved by cruises while other cruises will hate that same person on that same cruise.  NEVER however has an experience we have had, cause us to feel that we would never have 'such a great experience' if we did not have CD name (fill in the blank).  That attitude from us would 'on its own' cause us to have less than a terrific cruise experience.  

We sailed with Leigh and Erky....and we have had terrific cruises with other CD teams.  We have had a few cruises with less than terrific CD's and still had an great time.  As someone else stated, we don't sail because of the CD, but they do have an impact on our sailing.

I have to agree with you.  The only time we felt the CD made the cruise less than perfect was Jimmy Rhodes on the Quantum  Inaugural.  That was the most boring eight days of our lives and we were not alone.  When I spoke to a Royal rep about it she said there were many complaints.  However, ifyiu like trivia, that was the trip for you!!

4 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I have to agree with you.  The only time we felt the CD made the cruise less than perfect was Jimmy Rhodes on the Quantum  Inaugural.  That was the most boring eight days of our lives and we were not alone.  When I spoke to a Royal rep about it she said there were many complaints.  However, ifyiu like trivia, that was the trip for you!!

I am not sure I would ever take an 'inaugural' sailing...just too many things that they are probably still working the kinks out of.

11 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

If there was a lack of activities, then that was the AM's responsibility.

2 hours ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

If there was a lack of activities, then that was the AM's responsibility.

The schedule of activities is the responsibility of the CD.  The CD's develop a cadre of activities that they like and put them on the schedule.  There of course are cruise standards like Love and Marriage, Quest for example....then a wide variety or Trivia games....add Battle of the Sexes and others.   We have been on cruises where even the standard activities are done a little differently (CD perspective).   We have been on cruises where new games are being tried out....and only a few CD's get to debut those (developed in the Home Office by a different team) and work out the kinks and see if they get good cruiser reviews before being offered fleet wide to CD's.....but it isn't the AM's responsibility. Same thing with the dance parties....with some CD's you have almost one a night, with others only 1 or 2 on a week long cruise.  Yes, the AM can and often does come up with ideas to try and a good CD will let them run with them....and many AM's have developed into great CD's.

Edited by Paulette3028

1 hour ago, Paulette3028 said:

The schedule of activities is the responsibility of the CD.  The CD's develop a cadre of activities that they like and put them on the schedule.  There of course are cruise standards like Love and Marriage, Quest for example....then a wide variety or Trivia games....add Battle of the Sexes and others.   We have been on cruises where even the standard activities are done a little differently (CD perspective).   We have been on cruises where new games are being tried out....and only a few CD's get to debut those (developed in the Home Office by a different team) and work out the kinks and see if they get good cruiser reviews before being offered fleet wide to CD's.....but it isn't the AM's responsibility. Same thing with the dance parties....with some CD's you have almost one a night, with others only 1 or 2 on a week long cruise.  Yes, the AM can and often does come up with ideas to try and a good CD will let them run with them....and many AM's have developed into great CD's.

The CD's run the main game shows, but as for the general activities offered such as the Trivia, Bingo etc, I imagine that is at least a joint CD/AM collaboration. Remember that the CD is also in charge of Adventure Ocean and the sports facilities and have managers for those respective areas who probably do have some say as there is only so many hours in a day. Otherwise, there is no point in having an AM, Sports Supervisor or Adventure Ocean manager.

Edited by CruisingJoe09

37 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

The CD's run the main game shows, but as for the general activities offered such as the Trivia, Bingo etc, I imagine that is at least a joint CD/AM collaboration. Remember that the CD is also in charge of Adventure Ocean and the sports facilities and have managers for those respective areas who probably do have some say as there is only so many hours in a day. Otherwise, there is no point in having an AM, Sports Supervisor or Adventure Ocean manager.

"Running" the shows is a different issue than the overall schedule and smooth execution for all events that go on onboard....the overall responsibility for that sits firmly with the CD.  All the others, AM, Sports Supervisor, Head of AO report to the CD.

Add to that the CD is responsible fo the smooth running of everything backstage, so when people complain that a CD is less visible around the ship with cruisers, on some of the bigger ships, there is even more to handle on them.  

Edited by Paulette3028

ADVENTURE:   Drew Devine #1397
ALLURE  Jimmy Rhodes #1578

ANTHEM  Mitch Merucci September 21 #1477 to January 5, 2020 #1368
BRILLIANCE:    Rob McNally  #1566
EMPRESS  Elvis Pinto returns from vacation 9-7 #1548 Is he aboard?
ENCHANTMENT:  Bobby Broughton. Elizabeth Hackett to cover vacation, early October #1476 Is Elizabeth aboard? For how long?
EXPLORER:  Mike Whitte #1545
FREEDOM:    Daniel Dornas as of 10-6-19 #1501, Cory Rogers for 30 days in Dec to take ship to Cadiz in Jan for drydock #1444
GRANDEUR:  John Blair August 8 until November 30 #1194, then Susan Adams to cover vacation. 11-30-19 roll call #1032
HARMONY:    Marc Walker as of  9-29 #1097 until 1-26-20 #1527
INDEPENDENCE:    Mike Hunnerup  #1544
JEWEL:         Simona Ferraiuolo #1401
LIBERTY:  Brian Leavitt returns October 13 #1365 Please confirm Brian is aboard.

MARINER:    Dan Whitley as of 9-20 #1477
MAJESTY:  Tornado Tanya Yates Tongue as of 6-24 #1234 Any update?
NAVIGATOR:   Hugo Arenas returns 10-18 #1426 Please confirm Hugo is aboard.
OASIS:           Bobby Brown for 3 weeks, after drydock #1475
OVATION:     Chris Brown as of 9-30-19  #1476
QUANTUM:  Ken Jones  #1535
RADIANCE:   Mark Rous  #1430
RHAPSODY:  Bill Bronckhurst  #1477
SERENADE:  Carly B , should be on through November.  #1476
SPECTRUM: Fang Lixin through December #1394

SYMPHONY:  Mike Szwajkowski as of 11-2-19 #1602

VISION       Steve Davis  for transatlantic crossing, will be on for 8 months #1518
VOYAGER:  Michelle Oliveria #1565

Mike Witte on Explorer was very poor. Not visible. Changed the timings without notice....about 20 people turned up to Quest.  
However some of the Brits onboard played a joke on him getting him to read out requests from people with dubious names..... got him to sing Happy Birthday to Tess Tickle......!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

NAVIGATOR:   Hugo Arenas returns 10-18 #1426 Please confirm Hugo is aboard.

Hugo was on Navigator on the 11/15 cruise. His energy is second to none and he is an excellent CD and a perfect fit for this itinerary (Short cruise, Lots of first time cruisers, fun/party crowd sailing from Miami)!

19 hours ago, internetwhiz said:

From Marc Walker (Bing Bong)

Cruise Director BingBong Schedule just in : staying on Harmony 😉 
Sept 29, 2019 - March 15, 2020
May 3-Sept 13, 2020
Nov 15-March 7, 2021
Feel free to share to a gazillion people

Thank you for this.  Thought for sure we'd have Dennis again!  We liked him back in 2009; 2019 -- a little tired.  We've never Marc as a CD; thoughts?

14 minutes ago, joand452 said:

Thank you for this.  Thought for sure we'd have Dennis again!  We liked him back in 2009; 2019 -- a little tired.  We've never Marc as a CD; thoughts?

I vowed to hate anyone who ended every message  with Bing bong. We surprisingly found him warm, funny, enthusiastic and professional and overall enjoyed his efforts