Medallion net

Jacob0525

13 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

Yeah, That is why Sapphire Princess is receiving it too with being based in Southampton and Singapore.

The Princess online schedule shows 8/8/20 as the last Golden departure of the year. None shown in 2021 so it appears 8/8 is going to be the end of her run. 

We are in her 7/25 sailing.  Her penultimate trip it appears. Never been on one of those. Should be interesting. 

On 1/27/2019 at 11:13 AM, HBCcruiser said:

Yes, this! I originally purchased internet minutes for our upcoming Royal Cruise. Now that offer does not exist. Instead, they have the MedallionNet. Should I cancel the $199 minutes I already purchased or keep both the MedallionNet AND the “minutes?” There are 2 of us one is platinum with free minutes. I’m trying to learn what to do from someone who may have experienced the same situation. 

E9628696-0B6F-4AD6-A7D7-304017EAD238.png

000AB2B4-1812-4276-89A2-9EB453EEA224.jpeg

This is a great question. What did you do? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!!!

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2019 at 2:01 PM, HBCcruiser said:

I wound up canceling the minutes and purchasing the unlimited MedallionNet. I’ll let you know how it goes in April!

If you've never used it before, you will be impressed. It's very fast and reliable. Two people can use it too. Just not at the same time. If you try to login when someone else is already logged in, you will get a notice. You can continue and it will log the other person off. Both have to login with the same account. 

54 minutes ago, drpack said:

If you've never used it before, you will be impressed. It's very fast and reliable. Two people can use it too. Just not at the same time. If you try to login when someone else is already logged in, you will get a notice. You can continue and it will log the other person off. Both have to login with the same account. 

I have not cruised Princess with Medallionnet yet (they would not commit to having it on Ruby for thie year and now we are booked with Royal Caribbean for the next 2 years) but with Voom on RCCL you can use a travel router. Just connect and login through the travel router and all of your devices can use the wifi.

Not much of a perk for the Platinum and Elite.

These perks are being watered down big-time, I mean 3 day wait for our laundry???

And they'll let us purchase our Medallion Net at same rate as everyone else???

More cuts on the way!

They created this mess and now we pay for it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

We are about done with Princess, have 3 or 4 more on the books and we'll see from there. We have just found our dollars go a lot further on some other lines that dont have the growing pains.

Like I said on another posting, we were on the Inaugural Medallion Cruise on the CB and the internet was fantastic but doubt I'll pay the extra. I feel that should be passed onto the P & E's with the free internet, weve earned it and I was told by the tech support on that inaugural Medallion cruise that this new system doesn't have bandwidth Issues to worry about so no limits, bring it on Princess... 

OK all, eat me up!

3aed3b46-fa34-4d13-beb6-b5e2d57b807f-3dbf8688-ff64-4b7b-82dc-942003a0e289-v1.png

3 hours ago, TechPotato said:

I have not cruised Princess with Medallionnet yet (they would not commit to having it on Ruby for thie year and now we are booked with Royal Caribbean for the next 2 years) but with Voom on RCCL you can use a travel router. Just connect and login through the travel router and all of your devices can use the wifi.

Good Afternoon, What kind of travel router do you use?

8 hours ago, mizncg8r said:

Good Afternoon, What kind of travel router do you use?

I usually take several with me. The hootoo tripmate is great but I had problems with a two-device plan. The RAVpower one is good and worked well on my last cruise, but needed a bit of jiggery-pokery to disable it's auto-login function that interfered with Royal Caribbean's login/logoff protocol on 2 device plans.

IMG_0915.PNG

IMG_0916.PNG

IMG_0918.PNG

10 hours ago, TechPotato said:

I usually take several with me. The hootoo tripmate is great but I had problems with a two-device plan. The RAVpower one is good and worked well on my last cruise, but needed a bit of jiggery-pokery to disable it's auto-login function that interfered with Royal Caribbean's login/logoff protocol on 2 device plans.

IMG_0915.PNG

IMG_0916.PNG

IMG_0918.PNG

I Googled this device and found the following:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hootoo+tripmate&hvadid=177260386279&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9027292&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9920201307978064501&hvtargid=aud-648254335185%3Akwd-59341359843&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_8hms29f59s_e

I'm definitely not a techie (wish I were). Are you able to provide a brief tutorial about how such a device works? It sounds like you are buying just a single unlimited wifi access but sharing it simultaneously with multiple devices while on board. Am I understanding this correctly?

47 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

I Googled this device and found the following:

I'm definitely not a techie (wish I were). Are you able to provide a brief tutorial about how such a device works? It sounds like you are buying just a single unlimited wifi access but sharing it simultaneously with multiple devices while on board. Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, but I usually buy a two device or two single device plans so my wife and I can be independent and be in separate places on the ship. For me the internet is tax deductible since I need it for work, but I am not paying for internet for my phone, laptop, tablet etc. 

If my wife is not using the internet, I connect my phone directly and all other devices to the other, that way Rogers WiFi Calling works a little more reliably. 

On our last cruise, I had a lot of trouble getting the HooToo one you noted to work. The screens I posted are from the RavPower one. BTW: watch out posting amazon links, the forum's spam filter has a nasty habit of deleting posts with them. Search Amazon for "RAVPower FileHub Plus". The Hootoo TripMate Titan is a better router and power pack but it is lacking the feature I showed and doesn't work for Royal Caribbean Voom if you have the 2-device plan.

1 minute ago, LCTrippers said:

We're leaving tomorrow on the Royal, and will be trying the M.net. Will I be able to use both my phone AND my laptop (not at the same time) if i purchase only one package?

Yes

Just got off the Royal after 49 days and the Medallion net worked mostly well. My mistake was not accepting a second device for only $20 more

Howard

4 minutes ago, hm9912 said:

Just got off the Royal after 49 days and the Medallion net worked mostly well. My mistake was not accepting a second device for only $20 more

Would you please elaborate? I always buy two MN packages (one for wife and one for me) at the listed pre-cruise price

Now buying one at regular price and getting the second for $20 would represent quite a deal. I'm very interested in the particulars of the offer you received. 

1 hour ago, hm9912 said:

Yes

Howard

Great, thanks. I'm assuming they can't both be connect at the same time. I'll connect to the LT when in the room and phone when out. Perfect.

We just got off the Ruby last Sunday and the Medallion net was great. The Platinum/Elite offer was ONE device for $49.99 or FOUR devices for $89.99. We gave up our free minutes and took the four device package as that was the cheapest rate for two people. The four devices let us have both our phones, my tablet, and my husband's laptop (needed for business) always connected. Very fast and never dropped the connection.

This was a 7 day California Coastal. We noticed the offer on our phones the first morning and it stated it was valid only if purchased the first 24hrs. of the voyage. 

22 minutes ago, LCTrippers said:

Hmmm, seems to be changing as we go.

thanks.

We're on the Royal April 20, so I would love to know if the offer is the same, and any other Royal advice you might share. Have a wonderful cruise!

I was on CB last month; and my suggestion for those who may be sailing on a medallion net cruise; wait to buy your package until you board.  Princess offers discounts for elite members; normally ten dollars off the price; and they also offer family plans; where you can have four devices for a reasonable price.  Check it out.  I bought the unlimited package which was awesome and fast.  We could stream tv shows on ipad and down loads were fast. 

Question for those recently on a full Medallion Net cruise (and we'll be on the Royal in 4 weeks). Has anyone tried tunneling out through a VPN when connecting to the outside world? Searching through threads over the last few months, I've seen statements ranging from "...no problems, worked great..."  to " Princess blocks all VPN access, won't work". I'd prefer to use mine if possible.