Budget Car rental 89 Se 2nd Street, Miami after cruise

bobswife91

Has anyone ever rented a car from Budget downtown (approx 1.7 miles from the port?)

If so have they used the shuttle or just Ubered from the port to there? Also, would it be easier

to just rent from MIA arpt location? My flight doesn't leave out of FLL until 730pm, so I thought

we could just rent a car and tool around after the cruise.

Sorry, one more question, any suggestions on where to go in FLL to kill an afternoon, beach, tourist trap,

up for anything? We did the hop on/hop off in Miami last time and it poured rain and we were on the

top deck, so we got drenched. So really not interested in that.

Thanks in advance,

Laura

Do you need a car? :confused: You can shuttle to FLL for $15 per person (or Uber for about $35+), pay to store your bags at FLL, and then ride the water taxi, get a boozy lunch on Las Olas, etc. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist info.

The downtown locations (Budget, Avis, & Hertz) are sometimes overwhelmed by cruisers, resulting in long waits even if you have a reservation. :( I'd be tempted to spend under $10 on Uber to beat the shuttle crowd; National, Alamo, Thrifty, and Enterprise offer free shuttles between POM and their MIA airport location - if you get a good deal from someone else at MIA a taxi from MIA to POM is $27+tip and Uber will be just under $20.

The lines to rent vehicles at the Miami International Airport Rental Car Center are a lot shorter than renting a vehicle at the downtown Miami locations. It’s an easy fifteen minute shuttle ride from the Port Of Miami to the Rental Car Center. All the major companies rent from there. Plenty of inventory too and a better chance of a free rental car upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get an Alamo full size for $52 tax included from MIA and dropoff at FLL. Just not sure on the time to have as my pickup. We're getting off Carnival Horizon. Is a 10:30am pickup reasonable at MIA from the port? I'm still on vacation, so I don't feel the need to be the first on off the boat.

I was able to get an Alamo full size for $52 tax included from MIA and dropoff at FLL. Just not sure on the time to have as my pickup. We're getting off Carnival Horizon. Is a 10:30am pickup reasonable at MIA from the port? I'm still on vacation, so I don't feel the need to be the first on off the boat.

10:30 sounds good to me - the taxi/Uber ride from POM to MIA will take about 15-30 minutes, depending upon traffic and day of the week. Even if you are early or late they should have lots of cars and be accommodating.

Our pick up location is the address of this thread: Does this mean a shuttle will collect us at the ship and take us to the 2nd street location? Are you suggesting that in order to save some time we re-book with a MIA (airport pick-up) and use Uber to get there? I suppose it would save some money as well. As an ironic aside: everytime we sail from PE, the cheaper flight is to MIA, and everytime we sail from POM, the cheaper flight is to FLL.. Go figure.

Pick-Up LocationDrop-Off LocationPort Of Miami Shuttle Service

89 Se 2nd Street

Miami, FL 33131, US

Ph: 305-377-4410

08:00 AM - 04:00 PM

Ft.lauderdale/hywd Intl Apo

600 Terminal Drive,4th Floor

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315, US

Ph: 954-359-2400

24 Hours

Hertz, Avis, and Budget have downtown Miami locations that are very close to the Port Of Miami. Since I joined Cruise Critic in 2002 there have been conflicting reports of shuttle service to the downtown Miami locations. I can personally tell you that if you rent from Alamo, National, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thifty they provide free shuttle service from the Port Of Miami to the Miami International Airport Rental Car Center which is located directly across from Miami International Airport. As for the downtown locations they tend to be very busy on turnaround days. They are also very small and very crowded with a smaller inventory of rental vehicles. I personally rent from the MIA location that has better rates, better inventory, and a better variety of car rental companies to choose from. If you decide to rent from a downtown Miami location taxi, Uber, or Lyft are relatively inexpensive for the short ride.

Also, the downtown Miami locations have limited opening hours and the Miami International Airport Rental Car Center and Hollywood/ Fort Lauderdale International Airport Rental Car Center are opened twenty four hours a day.

I find Miami airport most convenient. Alamo,National,Thrifty and Enterprise have a free shuttle. Picks you up at cruise port and brings you to MIA.

Also if you are a Costco member with Alamo you get 2nd driver free.

I have an issue of the opposite of above and could use some insight. Flying into FFL a couple days before cruise and will rent a car there. Plan to stay a couple days and then wanted to head to this location of Budget RAC to return vehicle and was hoping for a shuttle to take us to the Miami Port. Cruise leaves on a Saturday by the way.

I have an issue of the opposite of above and could use some insight. Flying into FFL a couple days before cruise and will rent a car there. Plan to stay a couple days and then wanted to head to this location of Budget RAC to return vehicle and was hoping for a shuttle to take us to the Miami Port. Cruise leaves on a Saturday by the way.

These offer a free shuttle when you drop of at mia airport Alamo,National,Thrifty and Enterprise.

I like Alamo. Lots off discount codes online and costco members get 2nd driver free. You get to pick your own car in wtv class you booked.

Reports are that they do shuttle - might be shared with the next door Avis location. If not you can Uber to POM for under $10 or spend about $12+ for a taxi.

That's good to know. Was trying to avoid airport traffic, but it sounds as if the car rental agencies in the downtown area/port area, are somewhat busier on cruise days and didn't want to have a long wait. Thanks for the info.

The Miami International Airport Rental Car Center is a large, modern facility across from Miami International Airport. Normally there is no problem getting in or out of the facility during the day and night. The facility is located east of LeJuene Road.