Charging for internet usage..what's your opinion ?

Boatdrill

I appreciate that they charge to use the internet, that keeps people off that are just checking facebook/instagram and those of that use it to stay connected to the office while on vacation can get a decent speed.

For those that feel they are "entitled" to the internet, you aren't.

So just to set the cat among the pigeons -- folks who want to work while on vacation take precedence over those who want to stay connected to friends and family via social media?

I appreciate that they charge to use the internet, that keeps people off that are just checking facebook/instagram and those of that use it to stay connected to the office while on vacation can get a decent speed.

For those that feel they are "entitled" to the internet, you aren't.

Maybe those using the internet for commercial purposes should pay more for their faster service? My life in retirement shouldn't have to take a back seat to your employment. :)

Maybe those using the internet for commercial purposes should pay more for their faster service? My life in retirement shouldn't have to take a back seat to your employment. :)

The "faster" service (on the ships with unlimited internet) is no faster than the medium level IMO. the faster just allows you to skype, videos, etc.

I've had both on the same ship and saw no difference.

Just a heads up in case someone gets it thinking it will be faster. At least it wasn't on my cruise ;)

To be fair, the $40 includes a great deal more than your internet:

The following items are included in our Daily Resort Charge:

• WiFi access in your room and in most public areas around the resort

• PlayStation® 3 access with unlimited movies and games (DVD Now card given to you at check-in can only be used in your specified tower. One movie/game can be removed at a time.)

• Local, toll-free, and credit card calls (No access fee)

• Hawaiian Village Cultural Activities (Sign up at the Activities desk in the Main Lobby. Please bring your DVD Now card to present to your instructor.)

• 10% off or 1 category upgrade on a 2-day or more rental from National Rental Car located at Tapa Tower in Hilton Hawaiian Village* (Present your DVD Now Card.)

• Movies on Wednesdays and Saturdays at sundown (See Movie titles and location on your in-room television channel #7.)

• 20% off the Adventure Sail on the Spirit of Aloha Catamaran** (Present your DVD Now Card at the Spirit of Aloha desk.)

• Outdoor Morning Exercise Classes. (Sign up at the Activities desk in the Main Lobby. Present your DVD Now Card to the instructor.)

• 10% off at Waikiki Beach Activities'† for beach chairs & umbrellas, kayaks, pedal boats, stand-up paddle boards and aqua cycles.*** (Present your DVD Now card at any Waikiki Beach Activities beach or lagoon stand)

• Buy one adult admission and get one child (4-12 years) admission free to the Waikiki Aquarium. Please bring your DVD Now Card to the Waikiki Aquarium ticket office to receive offer.

Whether or not the total package is worth $40 would depend on how many of the features you take advantage of.

To each his own but that list to me is a hyped up "nothing burger"....many people have their own wifi plan or don't want to use wifi period...most have their own phones so local calls etc is worthless to them...you can find similar and often better discounts in the local tourist magazines....hard to imagine that many people think the $40 charge is a "good deal" ...i am surprised that they didn't include free sunrise and sunset viewing, elevator usage, etc.

The "faster" service (on the ships with unlimited internet) is no faster than the medium level IMO. the faster just allows you to skype, videos, etc.

I've had both on the same ship and saw no difference.

Just a heads up in case someone gets it thinking it will be faster. At least it wasn't on my cruise ;)

I gave up on ship internet several cruises ago. Most of our cruise are port intensive, and with Rogers' Roam-Like-Home program, I simply pay my daily fee. It's cheaper than what we were paying the cruise lines, and faster, and I can use it while out on excursions. We frequently rent cars and use Google maps quite a bit. On sea days, I'll prepare email and the like to go out as soon as we approach the next port.

I'm also looking at systems like the Glocalme G3 to compare prices.

To each his own but that list to me is a hyped up "nothing burger"....many people have their own wifi plan or don't want to use wifi period...most have their own phones so local calls etc is worthless to them...you can find similar and often better discounts in the local tourist magazines....hard to imagine that many people think the $40 charge is a "good deal" ...i am surprised that they didn't include free sunrise and sunset viewing, elevator usage, etc.

LOL. I couldn't agree more. I wasn't promoting this package, just pointing out that it included more than internet as a previous post had suggested. As I said, whether or not the total package is worth $40 would depend on how many of the features you take advantage of. As you've pointed out, many of us wouldn't get our money's worth.

It’s hardly a “scam” to charge for an optional service. That’s like saying being charged for wine SR dinner is a “scam”.

That said, there are some who need to be connected; but for many, part of the point of a cruise is to disconnect - to be in the middle of nowhere when at sea, and to experience a beach on St. John, San Marco in Venice, or a shore dinner in Charlottetown. Even conducting business, I seriously limit my connection time: no bank A/C really needs daily checking, and few friends/family really need constant emailing.

Cut ties when the ship casts off from the pier.

In years past, Disney World charged for internet service at their resorts. Now that internet enabled cell phones are practically a requirement to access all that Disney offers, internet service is complimentary for guests. I imagine that as HAL and other cruise lines transition to an internet based model (away from phone and travel agents) internet service will have to be included in the fare.

We also avoid anywhere that charges this fee. Generally, we rent a house, cabin, apartment etc. rather than staying in hotels.

And that is the appropriate response. If you don't like the practices of a company, don't do business with them. If you think a service is too expensive, don't buy it.

What used to be known as common sense which, unfortunately is increasingly becoming an oxymoron.

On our 113-day world cruise earlier this year on the ms Amsterdam, we paid $250 for 1,000 minutes (16.66 hours). That's like $2.21 per day.

We were able to stretch the 1,000 minutes to cover the entire voyage with about 60 minutes left unused.

It helped a lot that we had international cell phone service (Project Fi) pretty much around the world except for French Polynesia and few isolated ports here & there.

So, compared to the total cost of the voyage & to/from airfare, the cost of internet service was pretty low, less than one percent.

In years past, Disney World charged for internet service at their resorts. Now that internet enabled cell phones are practically a requirement to access all that Disney offers, internet service is complimentary for guests. I imagine that as HAL and other cruise lines transition to an internet based model (away from phone and travel agents) internet service will have to be included in the fare.

Probably not, as the servers they use to deliver ship specific traffic, would be local and not having to go up the satellite link.

I really have to wonder about HAL sometimes. Seems to me that they have enough challenges just trying to hold their customer web site together with band aids, paper clips, and chewing gum.

I do not have much confidence in their ability to be at the forefront of delivering state of the art on board customer internet offerings or service.

Edited by iancal

A recent discussion with a fellow cruiser revealed that some people think it's a scam to be charged.

My take is that we pay for the internet at home. We also pay for phone service

at home and onboard. I've never heard a complaint about having to pay for cell phone usage while cruising.

Internet usage onboard is an option, and the cost is provided upfront, so how is it a scam to charge for it ?

Your fellow cruisers haven't a clue. They are either going to pay for internet-at-sea explicitly or

it's going to be bundled into their fare. IMNSHO, better that only the folks who use it pay for it.

Thanks Jacque ,

We will look at pricing on the longer cruises but so far once we switched to t-mobile we have not bought any internet time. That becomes problematic on cruises with 6,7 or 8 sea days. A’ first world problems .

Kirk,

I'd be interested to hear what you find out about the internet pricing when you board the Prinsendam, as we will be joining on the 19th, alas for only 2 weeks.

Cheers,

I have bought the ships internet and had great problems even connecting so it s port thing for me.

Outside of Alaska (which has satellite-hiding-behind-the-hills issues), internet-at-sea is vastly improved

this year ('18).

We paid $100 for 250 minutes on Maasdam in April and May. I thought it was quite expensive, especially since it was by time and not by how much is downloaded. Because of this pricing, HAL has no incentive to provide a faster connection. We made or time last for the full 20 days by being due to login, download something, then immediately signing off. One caution: we had about 20 minutes left on the last day, and wanted to use it before leaving the ship. The Navigator Web page (which gave access to the connection) had been reset for the next voyage, and our account was closed. Don't let HAL rip you off.

Keep in mind that ships are using satellite connections which requires more expensive equipment and service costs that a land based supplier. By nature and physics performance will be worse for heavily interactive communications due to long latency (about 4 times as long compared to land based connections). They also have a fairly small customer population to recover those increases service and equipment costs from. Add in some profit and the cost do not seem wildly out of line.