Packing cubes 101

5280mom

I find rolling some of my clothes tightly, take up less space then.

Now if a person is already doing rolling and has a great packing system, then for them the space would be the same.

Exactly. A rolled t-shirt in a cube takes up the same amount of space as a rolled t-shirt outside of a cube. Same for a folded t-shirt in or out of a cube. The only way to really save significant space is using those vacuum compression bags; you just need to make sure you'll have access to a vacuum cleaner on the other end of your trip as well! And of course, depending on how much more you're fitting in your bag with them, you have to make sure you aren't suddenly over the baggage weight limit. ;)

Exactly. A rolled t-shirt in a cube takes up the same amount of space as a rolled t-shirt outside of a cube. Same for a folded t-shirt in or out of a cube. The only way to really save significant space is using those vacuum compression bags; you just need to make sure you'll have access to a vacuum cleaner on the other end of your trip as well! And of course, depending on how much more you're fitting in your bag with them, you have to make sure you aren't suddenly over the baggage weight limit. ;)

I was able to fit more in because I started to roll all of our underclothes and then put them tightly into a cube, the cubes's zipper compressed them a little more. Now, when I say fit more in, maybe one more blouse or pair of pants.

This is sort of the same how I make more space at home with the plastic bags I get from the store. I reuse them, so I fold them down flat to a about a three inch square, push all the air out and put a rubber band around a bunch of them. This really saves space, even though the bag is the same size if I fold it or not, but the space that it takes to store is much less when folded.

We have e-bags and one set of Amazon ones. They all work great. They make packing easier and also makes it easier to pull something out with messing up everything. I especially like them when we spend the night before a cruise as I can pull a cube or two out, take out what I want and put it right back without disrupting the rest of what's in the bag. I also like that I can pull out the ones for clothes that go in drawers, un zip it and not have to unpack into the drawer itself. Socks/underwear in one, shorts in another, etc.

Right? I'm always puzzled when someone says they use cubes because they can pack so much more that way. I mean, if you can fit the stuff in cubes in your suitcase, you can take it out of the cubes and it will still fit. Cubes don't magically make your stuff any smaller or your bag any bigger, LOL. It just helps organize it differently!

It does compress it more if you use the e-bag to it's full capacity so yes, you can pack more and it fits better in the bag.

The 2 biggest reaasons:

1--TSA isn't pawing through my delicates

2--Thing wrinkle less. Yes, you can roll to save space without bags. But it is imperative that your packing fit the bag snugly...when you roll in packing cubes, those things stay snug, so it isn't necessary to make your packing fit your suitcase. You can actually pack lighter, but know things will stay tightly rolled & not shift all over the suitcase. The packing cubes can shift & no issues.

Plus I'm an organization freak, so LOVE them...

I use hotel shower caps for my shoes

I go to the Dollar Tree Store and get 1 pack of disposable shower caps, $1.00 and there's 10 or 12 in each pack. I use these to pack my shoes in. I use to do the bags that come with some shoes but they weigh more that the disposable clear ones and I can tell what shoes are in them since they are clear. They are just like the ones in the hotels.

I use hotel shower caps for my shoes

I go to the Dollar Tree Store and get 1 pack of disposable shower caps, $1.00 and there's 10 or 12 in each pack. I use these to pack my shoes in. I use to do the bags that come with some shoes but they weigh more that the disposable clear ones and I can tell what shoes are in them since they are clear. They are just like the ones in the hotels.

That is a great idea. I could never put my shoes in with my clothes, with out having them covered.

A few times I’ve packed very light but used a big suitcase knowing I was bringing stuff back. The cubes keep the tightly packed clothes from getting wrinkly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ive yet to use my packing cubes on a long international trip but am looking forward to it. I first saw them on a trip with some girlfriends to the USA in 2015. There I was pulling out all these clothes trying to find one particular thing and all she did was pull out the right coloured bag and bam she found what she was looking for. I buy mine from an Australian store Kathmandu that does outdoor adventure clothing and gear. They do international shipping as well. They often have sales where you can pick up 3 for just a little more than what 1 costs. They keep bringing out different colours which is great if travelling and sharing a case https://www.kathmandu.com.au/travel/luggage-accessories/packing-cells-cases.html

Ive used my cubes for short 1 night trips to 7 day ones and found them great for organisation. I used them on an overnight trip with my hubby and a male friend who was very minimalist. I didn’t want to bring a suitcase for both our clothes so I decided on a converse duffel bag and they were fantastic. At the end of the day hubby went to go have a shower and change for dinner. He took one step in the bathroom then took a step back out. “Hey umm do I have any clothes to change into” He rarely travels with me due to his own business being busy. I usually have to pack for him to give him that extra time to finalise things before we leave. I grabbed out one small packing cube and threw it across the room. He looked a bit puzzled. I told him everything he needed was in there. I put an entire evening outfit in there for him. I did another for his day time wear the next day. I didn’t want him digging through the bag disrupting everything. We were sharing a room with our male friend so I didn’t have to worry about accidentally dropping a bra or underwear on my way to the shower as it was all in the cube :) I stacked about 4 or 5 cubes in the bag then just through in our shoes and jackets.

So they are great if you don’t have a full case or bag as your clothes don’t move around. Privacy is another. I find you can pack things in their tight then you can in an open suitcase. I dont always pack them flat I turn them up on their side like books on a shelf or a combination of both. While still travelling I often just throw dirty clothes or ones I in tend to wear again back in the suitcase and know everything in a cube is clean still. Youtube has a lot of great clips I love to watch of people showing how to use them

• 2 weeks later...

When packing for a trip like a cruise where I will be unpacking only once I use 2 large eBag packing ecubes, one for each of our 2 checked bags. I pack them tightly, and use layering and folding to create a packet of clothes that tightly fills each cube. Clothes come out virtually wrinkle free. I cross pack so each suitcase includes clothes for both me and my husband

For an upcoming trip where we we will be in 3 different cities I will be using cubes that have an extra zipper so they can be compressed. Will use the same folding method and use the compression zipper to create a tight wrinkle free packet.I have 2 large pink Cubes for me and 2 blue for my husband. We will each use 1 cube for first city, and other cube for the second city. Clothes from first city will go to the laundry in city # 2 to be repacked and used in 3rd city. We will each have a small eBags cube for underwear that will go in carryon luggage.

For shoes we have large one-zip plastic bags. Always spray the shoes with Lysol spray before packing . I have these labeled as shoe bags and reuse them We pack shoes in a carryon bag.

Cindy

Cindy, very clever packing system!

Before there were packing cubes, I used plastic packing bags on a long trip with multiple destinations to keep clean and dirty clothes separated. I use packing cubes now to keep underwear and socks organized and to keeps fingers off my clothing. We also have 2 folding bags for shirts which works really well.

Our next cruise goes from a cold to a hot climate. Packing cubes will help to separate the warmer from the summer outfits. Overall, I do not pack more or less with packing cubes.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good starter set of packing cubes? I am a chronic over-packer and would like to give a set a trial on a trip to Las Vegas for a convention the end of this month. We are cruising again at Christmas so this is a good time to try them out before purchasing a set for each family member. There are soooo many to choose from. What basic sizes are best and which ones are hardly used.... Thanks for the help!

These packing aids will not help you from being and overpacker but they will help you be an organized packer. I use both cubes and folders. Since I have Eagle Creep products these are the sizes I use because every manufacture has different dimensions. I say that because after you fill the cubes and folders it is like putting together a jig saw puzzle filling you luggage.

For cubes I use mostly Eagle Creek regular cubes and half cubes for clothing. I do use quarter cubes for organizing electronics and other smaller items. In the cubes I roll all golf, t-shirts, socks, and pj's, In folders I pack pants and any shirts with collars. I use their small and medium folders I usually put pants in the medium.

I choose clothing that travel well without wrinkling and pick materials that will dry quickly without the need for ironing. When I get to the ship I folders and cubes away with the clothing in them. As I wear them I also hand wash things and place them back where they came from. At the end of the cruise I just repack my suitcases as I did to start. At home I just hang up most the clothing for the next cruise.

Packing this way is not rocket science but it does take some trial and error so start out small and build on your success.

This video may help but there are many others on youtube.

Shak

• 1 month later...

I use them as they are great to organize clothes on the shelves in the closet. I just pull them out of the suitcase and plop on the shelves and I am unpacked. I some times use the drawers but find that the drawer space is at a premium.

I always throw some empty ones in my suitcase and transfer dirty clothes into to them to keep dirty stuff separate from clean clothes. Near the end of the trip I am down to one or two empty ones and all the dirty clothes are packed away. When its time to pack to leave, everything is already packed in cubes and takes just a few minutes to throw everything back in the suitcase.