Joining RCI ship to South Pacific without Schengen Visa

I realise that similar questions may have been asked regarding the requirement of a Schengen Visa when visiting South Pacific ports and I understand that there is no passport control when disembarking for day excursions. However I have been told that one of our party travelling on a South African passport will not even be allowed to join the cruise ship in Sydney, Australia if they don't have the Schengen Visa for New Caledonia - even if they elect to stay on-board and not go ashore. Can anybody clarify if this is correct? She has a multiple entry visa for re-entry into Australia so that is not an issue. Many thanks for any advice.

The Schengen region does not include New Caledonia. Hence a Schengen visa will not be of any use if you plan to visit New Caledonia.

As for whether being able to board or not without a visa, that is up to the cruise line so you would be best to check with them. Certainly, some have been able to board in the past without one but that does not mean the situation never changes or they always will be able to board without one.

Similar terms such as whether requiring parental permission of a child travelling with you have seen the paperwork sometimes required before boarding and other times not checked/required at all. The only way to be certain/safe though is to get that confirmation from the cruise line or have the required paperwork. Saying that X - or even yourself - got on board before without it won't cut it when someone is saying you need the form now.

Thank you for all the responses. This is turning into a nightmare for us. Apparently you are not able to apply for the Visa more than 3 months prior to the visit and you have to apply from your country of residence. She will be leaving her home country more than 3 months before the cruise so can't apply for it before she leaves. I might just have to cancel the cruise :(:(:(:(

would be calling RCI and asking their advice

I have and all they tell me is to contact the Embassy - who only have an automated message on answer phone which tells you to check the website for details on where to apply. So frustrating as I know she needs one but has to apply from home country but only 3 months before travel which she can't as she will be in Australia already. Can't actually speak to anyone who can offer a solution

Could she apply whilst in Australia as a foreign citizen? You could have a look on the Australian government website and see if there is information and contacts on there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You haven't said where in Australia the South African will be for the 3 months before the cruise, but I assume it will be in Australia - around Sydney?

A company I have used previously for visa's is VisaLink - http://www.visalink.com.au - I put in South African passport staying in Sydney and it states that if you are in Sydney you can go to French consulate in person to apply for a visa. It gives a link to the French consulate on how to apply for a visa appointment two months in advance.

Visalink also has some funny words -

*Visas for persons travelling to French Polynesia and/or New Caledonia on board a cruise ship or for a group conference can apply for the visa by post.

Not sure how that process works, but check out the website anyway https://au.ambafrance.org/NEW-Applying-for-a-French-visa-in-Australia-7351

Some of the details include an e-mail address that you could ask your question to.

You might be confusing country of residence to location of application.

The Wizard web site showing what type of visa you need has this is French.

Lieu de résidence et de dépôt de la demande *

And this when you change it to English

Place of submission of application

If in Australia three months before travelling then the place of submission will be Australia.

IMPORTANT TO READ

There is no hotline for the Visa section. All requests have to be sent to the following address: urgentvisas.sydney-fslt@diplomatie.gouv.fr. However, please note that no response will be given to questions regarding:

• Appointment requests

• General enquiries about visa

• Progress of a visa application lodged less than 4 week ago

• Information about visa procedure or type of documents to provide

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and replies with helpful links. I will do some further digging but just by doing the Visa wizard on the French Consulate General in Sydney's website I found this :

You need a visa.

Unless you:

> are a member of a civil crew who are boarding an aircraft or vessel which is stopping in the Schengen Area or operating on international waterways.

> or are a passenger of a vessel who will remain on board during the stop.

> or hold a valid residence permit issued by a Schengen member state.

> or hold a residence permit for Andorra or Monaco.

> hold a passport on which a multiple entries visa sticker is placed whose period of validity is between 6 months and 5 years issued by a French consular authority.

The second point was what made me originally think that it would be in order for her to simply remain on board. I have emailed them but no response as yet. We are in South Australia so will not be able to attend the office in Sydney in person either.

According to VisaLink - French visas in Adelaide are given out by the Greek Consulate, so contact them to see how far in advance you can visit to confirm a visa. Either way, 3 months before the cruise is after final payment, if you leave it to the last minute everyone may loose out.

From the Greek Consulate web site. At least they have a local phone number you can call and confirm things. They may be able to confirm as others have suggested, you can get a visa in South Africa over 3 months in advance as they would have actual up to date visa rules - plus people to contact that would actually respond.

You may make an appointment by e-mail (grgencon.ade@mfa.gr) to lodge your visa application at the Greek Consulate General in Adelaide.

Level 4, 32 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, S.A. 5000. Tel: (08) 82124366, Fax: (08) 82124411, Emergency Phone: 0468 301 852 E-mail: grgencon.ade@mfa.gr

Οpen to the Public: Monday to Friday from10:00 - 13:00

The Consulate provides information over the phone from 9:30 to 15:00, as well as through e-mail.

Since August 2010 Greece is representing France regarding the issuance of Schengen visas in Victoria, Wetern Australia and South Australia, so, if you are a resident of Victoria, W.A. or S.A., please visit the website of the Embassy of France in Australia at http://www.ambafrance-au.org/-Cosulate-General-in-Sydney- to see the requirements and then apply to the Greek Consulates located in Victoria, W.A., or S.A. respectively.

While I saw this line as well.

>

or are a passenger of a vessel who will remain on board during the stop.

There is no guarantee that RCI will let them board, as in their FAQs it states that if you don't have a visa for every stop, they won't let you board. It may be they have no way of stopping a person getting off the ship if they don't have a visa so don't want to take a chance you might leave, and they get fined. Also some of the small island beach stops not just Noumea are part of New Caledonia.

Unless you can get it in writing from RCI (not just some random agent over the phone - something to show at check in), they are willing to agree to that clause, I wouldn't take the chance at check in. You arguing visa rules - them arguing their T&C, I am pretty sure who is going to win.

When the ship docks, you have entered the territory of that country. It does not matter if you get off the ship or now.

Heck, once you are within certain distance from port, you have entered that country.

When the ship docks, you have entered the territory of that country. It does not matter if you get off the ship or now.

Heck, once you are within certain distance from port, you have entered that country.

Maybe - but the French Government have a specific exclusion which was quoted saying if you enter the country on a cruise ship (not just any ship - a cruise ship) and stay on board, you don't need a visa.

The discussion can move on to if the country doesn't require a South African to have a Visa if stays on board, would they need one to get onto the cruise.

Maybe - but the French Government have a specific exclusion which was quoted saying if you enter the country on a cruise ship (not just any ship - a cruise ship) and stay on board, you don't need a visa.

The discussion can move on to if the country doesn't require a South African to have a Visa if stays on board, would they need one to get onto the cruise.

Then that is a special case. But you have still entered the country, they just exempt you from having the visa. But you cannot expect this for all ports.

I forget which Carib island, but my SO is from Bulgaria. Normally she would need a visa to visit that country, but on a cruise, she does not. And yes, she can get off the ship.

Thanks so much for all the input. I might try the route of the Greek consulate in Adelaide and see if I can have any luck with them. Too hard for her to apply in South Africa as she lives about 1000 km's away from the nearest French consulate and won't have the means of getting there if she can't apply by post. I am still trying to get a definitive answer - in writing - from RCI but they keep sending me a generic response advising me to contact the relevant Embassy/Consulate for visa enquiries!!!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and replies with helpful links. I will do some further digging but just by doing the Visa wizard on the French Consulate General in Sydney's website I found this :

You need a visa.

Unless you:

> are a member of a civil crew who are boarding an aircraft or vessel which is stopping in the Schengen Area or operating on international waterways.

> or are a passenger of a vessel who will remain on board during the stop.

> or hold a valid residence permit issued by a Schengen member state.

> or hold a residence permit for Andorra or Monaco.

> hold a passport on which a multiple entries visa sticker is placed whose period of validity is between 6 months and 5 years issued by a French consular authority.

The second point was what made me originally think that it would be in order for her to simply remain on board. I have emailed them but no response as yet. We are in South Australia so will not be able to attend the office in Sydney in person either.

Unfortunately you are dealing with a complex matter here. You need to comply with two parties here. Of course you need to comply with immigration laws of a country you are attempting to enter or not. But then there´s also RCI´s rules about how they are willing to handle this.

So even if the rules say as long as you stay onboard, you don´t need a visa, RCI could still deny boarding due to them having stricter rules about it. RCI could be unwilling to put a system in place to make sure everyone wot eligible to go ashore is stopped somehow at the gangway. But it could also be the island not accepting RCI´s measurement in denying people without a visa ashore and therefore not clearing the ship for everyone.

I´m not sure who you are emailing, but you absolutely would need it in writing from RCI that you could board without the proper visa. Otherwise no arguiing at the port about the official rules of the island will help you.

RCI has the final say if you get onboard. Not going ashore and this being allowed by the country visited does not help with RCI´s decision.

Oh and don´t rely on anyone posting on these boards who tells you she/he has been in the same situation and how it went for them. It does not matter one bit and won´t help you at the port. It could have worked a thousand times, but they still could deny you. I´ve seen people being denied for not having proper documentation, so yes it does happen. Only a written confirmation from RCI can help you.

• 4 months later...

So after all my research, emailing and telephone calls and armed with website print-outs from the various websites which indicated that it would be ok to go without any visa if my MIL stayed on-board, we duly boarded the ship in Sydney without any issue at all.  They did not ask to see any Visa or even her Visa for return to Australia, just her passport.  At all 4 ports, we duly went ashore and nobody asked to see any form of visa or passport at all.  When we got back to Sydney, we filled in the customs form and again, nobody even checked to see if she had a Visa for re-entry into Australia.   So, either we were just lucky or the cruise line are indeed covering all their passengers under a blanket transit visa which I was informed was the case.  In any event, it turned out to be no issue and we had a good time.   Just reporting back in the event any other future cruisers try find similar information.