drinks package on Azura

Just back off a Princess cruise and they have stopped putting the sticker on, they had to swipe the card every time. I twice got charged for drinks that should have been free which I got back, no signing receipts either which would have made me spot it earlier.

Not signing receipts didn't stop drinks being charged to my account on celebrity.

Not signing receipts didn't stop drinks being charged to my account on celebrity.

Maybe we’ve just been lucky

The drinks package seems positive. I guess future prices will tell us what direction P&O is heading in

Why are people buying coffee, tea and water? It's free!

Personally, I would prefer a cheaper package, for say, just wine and beer and just pay if you want anything else.

The only free coffee is instant ie not coffee. The teas you can buy are 'speciality' teas and not available in the buffet or cabin. The free water tastes horrible once it reaches room temperature and therefore not good to be taken ashore on tours etc.

Interesting development from P&O, coming into the 21st century :)

However, considering the price of dinks on P&O, the Ultimate is an expensive package. That’s roughly the equivalent of $52.95 and I can get a ‘deluxe’ package on RCI for less than that with no time limit, no daily drink limit and including large bottles of water and cans of soda included. On RCI and Celebrity, the drinks packages are good value when you consider a G&T is around $10 (a US measure which is nearly a U.K. double) and a Martini $13 and a glass of wine $10, so getting to $50 is easy when you add in the non alcoholic drinks (coffee, tea, water and sodas).

I did a rough add up of our daily consumption at P&Os prices (according to their website) and I wouldn’t make a saving paying £39.95 per day.

Obviously Carnival are imposing the same limits they have on their ships with the number of drinks per 24 hour period.

As for 1 drink per card, that’s never been a problem to any member of the bar staff on RCI, Celebrity or MSC for us. Present 2 cards to the server, 2 cards swiped, 1 zero vaue receipt printed and returned.

I suspect/hope amendments to the package following the trial before we sail on Britannia in 2020.

Edited by peteukmcr

The only free coffee is instant ie not coffee. The teas you can buy are 'speciality' teas and not available in the buffet or cabin. The free water tastes horrible once it reaches room temperature and therefore not good to be taken ashore on tours etc.
Well the tea in the cabin is fine by me. Not sure what 'speciallity' teas are unless you mean peppermint, camomile etc which are freely available on the buffet. What is instant coffee if it is not coffee? I hate Costa coffee - too strong for me.

Water taste horrible when it gets warm, whether bottled or from the tap.

Just my opinion 😉

Interesting development from P&O, coming into the 21st century :)

However, considering the price of dinks on P&O, the Ultimate is an expensive package. That’s roughly the equivalent of $52.95 and I can get a ‘deluxe’ package on RCI for less than that with no time limit, no daily drink limit and including large bottles of water and cans of soda included. On RCI and Celebrity, the drinks packages are good value when you consider a G&T is around $10 (a US measure which is nearly a U.K. double) and a Martini $13 and a glass of wine $10, so getting to $50 is easy when you add in the non alcoholic drinks (coffee, tea, water and sodas).

My thoughts exactly. the P&O one seems too expensive compared to the on board drink prices.as you say you get to the daily price quite easily on Celebrity because of the expensive drink prices.

Also having mixers from the guns rather than cans is a no-no for us as well,

My girlfriend only drinks the occasional Martini or cocktail and I don't drink at all, so the packages are way to expensive for us. even the soft drinks only package is poor value compared to the Pepsi card we've brought previously. On our transatlantic cruise last October we only went though three cards.

I wonder if the drinks prices will increase now to encourage people to buy the package

What about reversing the logic by hoping they lower the price of the drinks package to encourage people to buy.:)

I think they should keep it optional, as it appears some are happy with the current package price and equally many people would prefer to pay as you go.

I wonder if the drinks prices will increase now to encourage people to buy the package
That’s exactly my thoughts too. Every other line we’ve sailed on which now offer packages (few offered them back when we started) have done exactly that. Cocktails on RCI used to be around $9-10 now they are around $13. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some on P&O go just below the £6.95 limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about reversing the logic by hoping they lower the price of the drinks package to encourage people to buy.:)

I think they should keep it optional, as it appears some are happy with the current package price and equally many people would prefer to pay as you go.

I’m sure it will be optional, as it is on other lines (except when included as a perk in the cruise fare, which it is anything but a perk, as the fare has been increased accordingly) and so for everyone saying they don’t want it because perhaps they don’t drink enough, it’s not compulsory.

So many get worked up about it, but it’s not mandatory.

The only time it’s mandatory is when 1 in a cabin buys it, then the other has to. That’s to try and stop people sharing.

The reason this rule is in place is because people are basically dishonest and share packages. RCI used to let just one person in a cabin purchase a package, but reversed the decision because too many were abusing it.

So the minority spoilt it for the majority.

My girlfriend only drinks the occasional Martini or cocktail and I don't drink at all, so the packages are way to expensive for us. even the soft drinks only package is poor value compared to the Pepsi card we've brought previously. On our transatlantic cruise last October we only went though three cards.

That's the reason I hope they remain optional and you are not forced in any way to take up the offer.

BTW, our Daughter and Fiancé are in a similar situation as you.

My Daughter doesn't drink and her Fiancé drinks very little so the package would not appeal to them.

It may be a surprise to some that quite a lot of the younger generation do not drink or drink very little.

It may be a surprise to some that quite a lot of the younger generation do not drink or drink very little.

Those that interact with young people, or simply keep up with the news won't be suprised.

Smoking, drug taking, and binge drinking are now primarily for the middle aged. Teenage pregnancy is at all time low. Probably a link there. 😋

I’m sure it will be optional, as it is on other lines (except when included as a perk in the cruise fare, which it is anything but a perk, as the fare has been increased accordingly) and so for everyone saying they don’t want it because perhaps they don’t drink enough, it’s not compulsory.

So many get worked up about it, but it’s not mandatory.

The only time it’s mandatory is when 1 in a cabin buys it, then the other has to. That’s to try and stop people sharing.

The reason this rule is in place is because people are basically dishonest and share packages. RCI used to let just one person in a cabin purchase a package, but reversed the decision because too many were abusing it.

So the minority spoilt it for the majority.

Thanks for the reassurance and explanation.:)

We have been cruising only with P&O for several years now and have been on all of their ships, some more than once, so we are very familiar with how things currently work with them.

We feel very comfortable cruising with them at the moment and hope to continue but we get a little concerned with the various potential future changes and how they will effect us in the future.

It occurs to me that the structure of this package is set up to fail. I just cannot see the average cruiser finding this of value. The restrictions mean that if you do spend as much as £40 pppd would it be worth it for all the bother of not drinking exactly what you wanted to drink.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Those that interact with young people, or simply keep up with the news won't be suprised.

Smoking, drug taking, and binge drinking are now primarily for the middle aged. Teenage pregnancy is at all time low. Probably a link there. 😋

Very true :D

I think there is no worries that if it becomes a permanent feature on all P&O ships it will become available as an added package at your purchase that is the way it has been offered on Princess for years and although on first day of cruise on embarkation there are tables selling drinks packages you are not forced into buying.

It occurs to me that the structure of this package is set up to fail. I just cannot see the average cruiser finding this of value. The restrictions mean that if you do spend as much as £40 pppd would it be worth it for all the bother of not drinking exactly what you wanted to drink.

If like some in my party on an upcoming cruise you like botanical gin and fever tree tonics then the package would mean lowering your standards somewhat (tonic on tap ie) but for us (wine and beer mostly) it will represent good value. Given the cruise is over New Year and we’re travelling in a group and it’s the Caribbean we’re likely to drink more. Add in the coffees/water/soft drinks etc and we’ll reach our £40pppd easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree, think they are over complicating it as they often do, too many rules, 15 drinks, 15 mins, no cans, small water only, all too restricting, can't see ordering wine being easy either.

I think ordering wine with your evening meal will restrict you to just 1 glass, how long will it take to find the wine waiter & reorder your 2nd glass of wine.

For our next cruise if would cost us as a couple £2237!!!

Another reason why this package will not appeal to some, is that if you are traveling as a family often you tend to each buy a round of drinks throughout the day and hence do not spend £40 each and also order more than one at a time.

For example, when I sailed with my parents, at lunch my dad would buy the drinks and in the evening me and my sister would (3 glasses of wine or a bottle of wine and a non-alcoholic drink for me). Rest of the time we would buy the large bottle water offer for the cabin, and occasionally me and my dad would have a midmorning coffee on a sea day. No way as a family of four would we get through £160 of drinks in one day.

I agree, think they are over complicating it as they often do, too many rules, 15 drinks, 15 mins, no cans, small water only, all too restricting, can't see ordering wine being easy either.

No different than what has been happening on Princess cruises with no problems at all. In fact that is where they have got most if not all their T&Cs from for their drinks package.