Over packing.

chromered7

Does that 24” size case you say Americans carry on fit in the overhead bin boarding in Europe?

King

it's not meant to- and on most flights won't - hence why they attract my attention as they are usually arguing with boarding staff that they brought it from a usa flight and are in transfer etc.....or whatever the story is.....

a slim 20inch is max for most short hall euro flights- AND they do have the right to ask you to put it in the hold( EVEN IF RIGHT SIZE)- possibly free of charge - if no room as busy flight- has happened to me frequently- but you will have to collect it landslide....

i always think of this when people say they are so proud of just carrying just cabin luggage - and so have arranged for short transfer times - if you have to go through customs possibly and wait for luggage - and then depending you might have to go landslide and come back in as from luggage collection you can't re-enter airside proper in a lot of eu airports....you aren't going to make that short connection...

it's not meant to- and on most flights won't - hence why they attract my attention as they are usually arguing with boarding staff that they brought it from a usa flight and are in transfer etc.....or whatever the story is.....

a slim 20inch is max for most short hall euro flights- AND they do have the right to ask you to put it in the hold( EVEN IF RIGHT SIZE)- possibly free of charge - if no room as busy flight- has happened to me frequently- but you will have to collect it landslide....

i always think of this when people say they are so proud of just carrying just cabin luggage - and so have arranged for short transfer times - if you have to go through customs possibly and wait for luggage - and then depending you might have to go landslide and come back in as from luggage collection you can't re-enter airside proper in a lot of eu airports....you aren't going to make that short connection...

Very true. Maybe those kind of people want to save a few $$ dollars trying to sneak oversize luggage as carry on? And to stand there on the plane and argue with flight crew? I’ve seen that happen. Holds up everyone who followed the carry on size rule, trying get seated for take off.:mad:

King

Very true. Maybe those kind of people want to save a few $$ dollars trying to sneak oversize luggage as carry on? And to stand there on the plane and argue with flight crew? I’ve seen that happen. Holds up everyone who followed the carry on size rule, trying get seated for take off.:mad:

King

agree - don't get why people bother with the argument - which probably means they will either be removed from the flight - or flight miss the take off slot - so they definitely won't make the transfer.

often if a full flight and i am checking in a bag they will offer to take my cabin luggage free as well- to make more room - only really an option if no breakables etc..

i would prefer to check a bag two thirds max full- be able to take all the liquids like high factor sunblock etc that i want- and when they are used up - i have plenty of space for nice foods - or as happened on a previous october cruise - bought 3 winter coats - and they all fit in my bag now half empty - no problem.

but i do love cubes and individual zip containers for smaller items - so they make space easy.

My motto is THANK HEAVENS FOR LUGGAGE WITH WHEELS! I always slightly overpack on the clothing, but have cut back until our last cruise. On that cruise, instead of flying to our embarkation port in FL, we decided to drive. Not having to consider the weight of our luggage, or where we packed what unleashed the beast! When deciding between options as we packed, instead of choosing, we repeatedly said TAKE BOTH! This next cruise, I'll go back to my list. When I unpack, I write a list of what we wore. That will be the basis of what goes into the suitcase. Any new purchase will replace something on the list and not be "in addition to" the list.

What I will continue to overpack is medications and those things that I hope we won't need, probably won't need, but will be happy I have them in case we need! That's an iron clad list that never varies, never is subtracted from, and only gets additions. The additions happen as we get older. If we go on vacation and need something medication wise that we don't have and have to purchase, it gets added to the list that permanently lives inside our luggage. It makes packing easy on the brain and much quicker!

We are with you on the meds.

We will be on B2B then 18days touring NZ and Australia on a land tour. Talk about packing different clothes for different types of travel and weather

We normally cruise 10-14 days with a couple land days prior. I try to stick to a color scheme (black, white & turquoise or hot pink). I bring one evening purse & one small crossbody purse. I try to do black Birks, white Birks, black wedges, white wedges, Keen water shoes & pool flip flops (they double as slippers). Could I cut down? Nope my feet swell & I need options. I bring 3 bathing suits & one coverup with 2 large sun hats. Lingerie cube. I try to limit toiletries, but do bring lots of sunscreen & OTC meds (I will never pay $17 for NyQuil on board). I do wear evening pants more than once, but tops usually only get one wear, unless I have a non slop night [emoji849]. I bring one suitcase (checked 27”) & one 20” carryon with my personal item. I used to bring two 27” & a carryon.

I do roll most things into packing cubes with dressier clothes folded over the cubes. I don’t do laundry on board as I’ve had things ruined before. My clothes don’t go in hot water.

My DH says I am trying [emoji23].

Sent from my iPad using Forums

7 day cruise in a carry on is easy as pie. I would think a 10 day would be just as easy. I can't stand dragging extra baggage around.

When you check your bags you don't need to drag them around or argue for bin space. I don't get it.:confused::confused:

When you check your bags you don't need to drag them around or argue for bin space. I don't get it.:confused::confused:
You forget about getting to and from airports, to and from the cruise terminal, as well as pre-cruise or post-cruise touring.

As for the topic, my wife and I pack 7 or 8 days and plan on doing laundry. It takes two carry on size bags and one checked back to share (including empty space out to make room for souvenirs home).

You forget about getting to and from airports, to and from the cruise terminal, as well as pre-cruise or post-cruise touring.

As for the topic, my wife and I pack 7 or 8 days and plan on doing laundry. It takes two carry on size bags and one checked back to share (including empty space out to make room for souvenirs home).

I usually arrive in a vehicle and my suitcases have wheels. I travel all the time on extended trips and am an old person and I don't seem to ever have a big problem "dragging" my luggage. The few seconds it takes to lift your luggage from one place to another is a lot less than doing laundry. Sorry, I still don't get it.

Edited by Ma Bell

I have a question for those that use packing cubes. I bought a set of different sized packing cubes earlier this year and have used on one vacation so far. Almost all of my clothes were wrinkled and needed ironing! I even watched the videos online on how to pack them. (Rolling clothes) What's the secret? I want to use on our upcoming cruise, but I don't want a bunch of wrinkled clothes. (I had better luck with folding my clothes and placing in plastic bags in groups.)

You must roll them quite snugly & make sure they are snug in the packing cubes. And you must be a bit careful when rolling, pressing out wrinkles that occur. But it is the movement that will cause them to loosen & thus wrinkle so snug as a bug is the key.

I have few wrinkles BUT most are low wrinkle fabrics, tho there will be some twill capris or shorts.

Now, DH's dress shirts we use a packing folder--it comes with a plastic square to fold around, then you put 2 or 3 in the "folder" & that keeps them snug & fairly wrinkle free.

I have a couple of new wrinkle resistant linen tops I want to take this time...hmmmm...may need another packing folder!

Most of the time that is our preference. Flying SWA makes it nice (and easy to overpack!)

BUT once we HAD to fly in on embarkation day due to work; I had flights scheduled that it shouldn't have been any issues even with delays...BUT I realized if there were worse delays I didn't want to be waiting at baggage claim waiting for luggage if it was at all tight! (I'm a girl who heads back to the ship 2 hours prior to last call on port days--I'm not missing that ship!).

SO I figured that if we each took a carry on & backpack we could avoid luggage claim. We weren't late at all & discovered that in all honestly, we STILL didn't wear everything we took! Taught us it CAN be done. (makes packing/unpacking/packing a lot faster, too!)

But it is nicer to just take a tote with my reading material on the plane!

I get it.

I’m fortunate that I’m fit, no mobility issues, and have routinely done 7-35 day cruises using only a soft side backpack style carry-on (Osprey brand), and a smaller shoulder style carry-on. Organized with packing cubes. Easy if you know how to pack smart. And everything is with me. No worries about fitting in aircraftoverhead bins, exceeding luggage weight limits, lost luggage, or waiting around the airport luggage carousels. YMMV.

Good luck. And happy cruising. :)

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We have cruised many times and I always take additional items “just in case” you need them . When I unpack after a cruise there are some clothes I discover that I have never worn. So this got me thinking how many people over pack or is it just me?

While I am capable of living out of carryon luggage for 6 weeks at a time--and have done so both for business and pleasure many months over the years, for me part of the "joy" of cruising is the ability to pack lots with impunity. Thanks to luggage handling services, I wave goodbye to my bags a few days before I depart, meet them when I get to my cabin, and then wave farewell just past customs until they show back up at my door a few days after I get home.

I get it.

I’m fortunate that I’m fit, no mobility issues, and have routinely done 7-35 day cruises using only a soft side backpack style carry-on (Osprey brand), and a smaller shoulder style carry-on. Organized with packing cubes. Easy if you know how to pack smart. And everything is with me. No worries about fitting in aircraftoverhead bins, exceeding luggage weight limits, lost luggage, or waiting around the airport luggage carousels. YMMV.

Good luck. And happy cruising. :)

King

No doubt it can be done and I could do it if I wanted to. I just prefer to have options and be well dressed. I don't worry either. If something happens, I just deal with it.

:hearteyes:

I am a chronic slopper. Seriously I cannot go 4 hours without slopping food down the front of me. Because of that I honestly need to have at least 2 T-shirts for each day and cannot count on being able to re-wear an evening outfit -- because most likely it will have food down the front of it after the first wearing. So I DO pack a lot of clothing and I usually DO go through it all. Getting it all in a carry on is never gonna happen. However I have learned to pare down on my purses and shoes. I now only pack one evening clutch, one day purse, one pair of evening flats, one pair of sandals and one pair of walking shoes. I don't even bring heels anymore because I have given myself permission to never torture myself in heels ever again. My husband doesn't hobble around on heels, so neither do I! I also force myself to use their terrible hair dryers so I don't have to bring mine. I don't bring near the beauty products and make-up that I used to bring -- although I do always prefer my own soaps and shampoos/etc, I can manage fine with the refillable 3 oz bottles from home. My decadent anal obsession is my fabulous fully stocked first aid kit. Hubs used to tease me about my first aid kit until he needed it a few times. Now he says "I hope you're bringing the whole drug store, right?'

I have never laughed so hard at a CC post before. I am your twin. Wine away removes all red stains not just wine and those little single use Shouts are great. When I slopped red wine all over my white linen shirt on a flight to Hawaii a stewardess quickly handed me one of those medical single use alcohol wipes. I was amazed. It worked like a red wine eraser.

My DH and I are those fools with 4 large suitcases and a couple of backpacks because he loves me and I like choices & we both have difficulty reliably keeping clean. I could solve the problem by always wearing black but I love colors like yellows, light blues and pinks.....you get the idea......things that show stains. :cool:

I would love a laundry room on Celebrity the way they do on other cruise lines. Because ut’s Not available I end up packing extra clothes.

Agree with you on this. I always wash a few 'delicates' in the sink in the bathroom, but it would certainly help my constant overpacking problem if a laundry room was available. Just a chance to do one load would reduce the number of clothes I take. Or would it...……….:confused:;)

:hearteyes:

Wine away removes all red stains not just wine and those little single use Shouts are great.

There's a product called Wine Away? Wow never heard of that. Also my DH is in the slob club. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to use Tide to Go on his dinner shirts during a cruise.

I'm a little better than he is but hey accidents happen.

• 4 weeks later...
We have cruised many times and I always take additional items “just in case” you need them . When I unpack after a cruise there are some clothes I discover that I have never worn. So this got me thinking how many people over pack or is it just me?

I used to over pack until I spent a week in New York City taking only items that fit in my backpack. That experience changed my life. I’m no longer haunted by the fear that I may need something and not have it. As long as I have laundry soap, I’m ok. For a cruise: one suitcase and a carry on back pack. Life is lighter not being possessed by my possessions.

One thing that bugs me is all the "just in case" other stuff we pack for each cruise -- the band aids and cough medicine and various types of potions and lotions and pills and pain relievers for all the possible things that might occur from bug bites to diarrhea to a loose crown.

We use very little of it on any cruise, if any at all, and end up re-packing it to bring back home, where we end up tossing a lot of it after it passes its expiration date, and then repurchasing it again.

It would be nice if there was some kind of communal stash of all that stuff somewhere on the ship so that we would not all need to keep carrying duplicates of the same stuff back and forth for each cruise, but I have no idea of how such a setup might work, or be kept sanitary, or if it would even be legal.

I have stopped bringing stuff that I know they regularly carry on the ship, such as hydrocortisone cream and Nyquil.

But it would be just my luck that if I should ever need it, that will be the time when they will be out of it.

Interesting... although I probably pack a bit too much, I like being well prepared. About half of my cruises these days are with my young kids (so REALLY well prepare) and the other half just DH and myself. It is amazing to me the small maladies that one can encounter onboard... we have a ready-to-go "just in case" medicine bag that is smaller than one pair of shoes. It has nearly everything you can think of needing in the short term. I am not worried about expired non-critical medications; they are still efficacious, at least somewhat, and not dangerous. It's a good use of a cubic foot or so of space in my suitcase!

Before we started cruising, we travelled on land independently. Would stay a month in Europe with a carry on bag. BUT, once we started cruising, we became over packers. ;p I have to say, though, on long cruises in exotic locales, all the OTC stuff can be very useful as they can be difficult to come by. BTW, I have never ever owned 15 bathing suits :o.

Woman always over pack.

The one time I didn’t overpack for an often done Pacific Coastal I froze. I now own yet another sweatshirt and sweatpants I do not need. I followed expected weather up until the day before departure and it was just soooo wrong.

I will always overpack because I like choices and I really do not want to buy another sweatshirt.....ever...........for the rest of my life.