AT&T Cruise, Talk, Text and Data? Hidden Charges? or Wi-Fi calling? Input Appreciated

JanJanG

On 7/15/2018 at 7:40 AM, grandmarnnurse said:

I’ve always been under the impression that if your phone is even off airplane mode, you will run up a huge bill. I’ve never heard of any plan that makes it feasible while cruising. That’s not to say that it doesn’t exist. I just totally unplug from the internet and back home when on a cruise. That’s my vacation time. I know that you said you need it for work, but aren’t you allowed vacation time? That is your time, not your employer’s. My hubby and I were professionals prior to our retirement, and we never felt the need to stay in touch with the job. I’m so surprised of all the people that feel the need to stay in touch with their jobs. Before cell phones and internet, nobody even questioned this. When they were on vacation, they remained on vacation. But I guess times are different, and today’s work force always feels that need to stay connected. So, my advice to you is to call AT&T and clarify what they mean by this plan, or you could run up a huge bill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Its a new plan. and yes we are allowed vacation time but when its your company and you have lots of employees, things happen. I have a love hate with it bc my husband used to not want to take longer than 4 day trips, now he will travel, but he may be on the darn phone. We were in South Africa last year when the hurricane hit the Florida keys, he's a developer there, glad he had a phone.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:56 PM, Likes2cruise said:

When you’re off the ship

• Your cruise option covers you on land in Mexico, Canada, and select Caribbean islands.

I copied this from the AT&T Support page.  Did you find this to be true?  With the cruise package, you would have no additional charges for using the phone on the ship or on land  -- provided you were on a "designated" island.

That makes it great, I didn't see that on the paper they sent me.

55 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

On the AT&T page it indicates there is the normal charge for incoming text, pictures, and video. Do you know does this mean if I get a text, I am charged at the Cellular at Sea rate or my normal rate (that is at no additional charge for me)? 

I didn't pay anything extra, as my "normal" rate is zero 

On 2/23/2019 at 8:21 PM, coevan said:

will airplane mode allow you to get AT&T? 

Airplane mode shuts your cellular services off entirely. You can turn WiFi back on and connect to the ships WiFi but there will be no connection to att in airplane mode.

On 7/15/2018 at 8:37 AM, pe4all said:

While we have never used this new program ATT has, I do always use the international day pass plan they have. It is $10 a day while in port, and runs off your ATT plan, so whatever data, text, etc. you have, that is what you use. While on the ship I keep my phone in airplane mode, with data/data roaming off. I use the free Carnival hub app to keep in touch with dd on ship if I am somewhere she isn't. When I get to a port I just turn on my data and take phone off airplane mode, and get charged $10 for 24 hours. As we only go to 3-4 ports, it turns out way cheaper than the ships internet, or ATT ship plan. If I need to make a call back to dh at home, the cabin phone is $1.99 per minute, and I usually just make a fast call home - runs $2-$6.

This is what we did as well too stay in touch with our kids we left at home. If you time it right, you can get multiple ports on different days for the $10

I am also considering using this.  Can I ask just a few "dumb" questions:

1. If I get the cruise talk plan, I can call and send and receive texts (0 fee for my normal texting) for no charge while connected to cellular at sea.  

2. If all my ports are included in the list, I can also make calls and send texts while in port for no charge.  I also don't have to worry about turning off roaming and turning the phone off 12-15 miles out of port so as not to roam when cellular at sea is disconnected.

3. I don't plan on getting the data option.  So my best bet is to turn off cellular data.  So no email, no internet, but what about text messages like imessage?  Will I still get these?  maybe just as text messages.  

4. Without data, video calling will not work (unless on ship or other wifi).

We have a 2 year old and a 5 year old that we are leaving for 8 days and just want to make sure everything is ok and maybe say goodnight to them.

Thanks

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:40 AM, grandmarnnurse said:

I’ve always been under the impression that if your phone is even off airplane mode, you will run up a huge bill. I’ve never heard of any plan that makes it feasible while cruising. That’s not to say that it doesn’t exist. I just totally unplug from the internet and back home when on a cruise. That’s my vacation time. I know that you said you need it for work, but aren’t you allowed vacation time? That is your time, not your employer’s. My hubby and I were professionals prior to our retirement, and we never felt the need to stay in touch with the job. I’m so surprised of all the people that feel the need to stay in touch with their jobs. Before cell phones and internet, nobody even questioned this. When they were on vacation, they remained on vacation. But I guess times are different, and today’s work force always feels that need to stay connected. So, my advice to you is to call AT&T and clarify what they mean by this plan, or you could run up a huge bill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Huge bills happen when you "a la carte" your phone.  If you buy an international phone package, example ATT is $60, than you buy texting, pictures and data, and a reduced per minute phone call at $0.35 minute.  WiFi on the ship, is pricey.  You can also use data on the ship, if you don't have WiFi, but that would be a $$$ mistake. 

Although being unplugged is nice, I like to read the news while drinking coffee in the morning.  I like sending texts to the grandkids on where I'm traveling.  I  need to be contacted concerning elderly parent.  When in port, the phone is handy for using as a GPS and for information gathering.  Example, my neighbors are afraid of getting lost in European cities, so they only take tours, and claiming that the phone is too much money.  Yet, they pay more for the tours, than having GPS available to them on the phone.  I did the exact same thing as they did.  It cost for 2 people, $198.00 for the tour.  It cost me $28.00 for two plus $10.00 a day bus/train pass. 

As far as work is concerned.  Two weeks off is a long time, when you have someone covering for you.  Sometimes questions come up, and I'm more than happy to answer them.  I don't do work, but that doesn't mean I need to walk in on a Monday morning, with 500 emails, and tons of issues.  I rather, clear the emails a few times, and than only need to see the important stuff when I return.  I find it less stressful, knowing that things are taken care of right, by a simple question being answered, and less work when I return. 

WiFi calling does not have roaming fees because you are using internet, not cellular.  However, when using WiFi, it can jump back in forth, so you need your phone settings correct. 

19 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

As far as work is concerned.  Two weeks off is a long time, when you have someone covering for you.  Sometimes questions come up, and I'm more than happy to answer them.  I don't do work, but that doesn't mean I need to walk in on a Monday morning, with 500 emails, and tons of issues.  I rather, clear the emails a few times, and than only need to see the important stuff when I return.  I find it less stressful, knowing that things are taken care of right, by a simple question being answered, and less work when I return. 

^^^This. I get 100+ emails a day and I'm responsible for a very large staff. I used to unplug when I wasn't over so many people, but now I would much rather put the little fires out as they arise, rather than waiting until I get back and they've blown up into a full-blown crisis. Twenty or thirty minutes a day while on vacation can save me a week of headaches when I return.

1 hour ago, tonyhb12 said:

I am also considering using this.  Can I ask just a few "dumb" questions:

1. If I get the cruise talk plan, I can call and send and receive texts (0 fee for my normal texting) for no charge while connected to cellular at sea.  Correct.

2. If all my ports are included in the list, I can also make calls and send texts while in port for no charge.  I also don't have to worry about turning off roaming and turning the phone off 12-15 miles out of port so as not to roam when cellular at sea is disconnected. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to turn off roaming with the plan, but I didn't use my phone in port so hopefully someone who has can chime in on this.

3. I don't plan on getting the data option.  So my best bet is to turn off cellular data.  So no email, no internet, but what about text messages like imessage?  Will I still get these?  maybe just as text messages.  It's been a while since I had an iPhone, but I think I still got iMessages, even with data turned off. Someone with an iPhone might have to correct me on this, though.

4. Without data, video calling will not work (unless on ship or other wifi). Correct.

We have a 2 year old and a 5 year old that we are leaving for 8 days and just want to make sure everything is ok and maybe say goodnight to them.

Thanks

See answers above. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. :classic_smile:

5 hours ago, 1019throw said:

This is what we did as well too stay in touch with our kids we left at home. If you time it right, you can get multiple ports on different days for the $10

not true, once you connect to a different tower, it's another $10

12 minutes ago, 1019throw said:

Are you sure? It covers 24hrs in any country as long as it's included in the international day pass listing.

You are correct.  We went to 4 ports in 4 days that were covered under the day pass, and were only charged $20.  If you plan correctly, you can do this!

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know why I can’t seem to understand how to use my phone at sea but I’ve researched and read and just can’t grasp it!  I guess to make it simple, if I contact Att to buy the travel plan and if I buy the ships daily WiFi, do I still need airplane mode and data off mode? Someone please dumb it down for me 😛thanks!!!!

• 9 months later...

This is also my current dilemma. Cruising as a single parent with 2 teenagers who are products of today’s world and addicted to their cellphones. They won’t be constantly on their phones but I want to allow them to use their phones during down time. I also would like to like to catch up on news and use apps like Instagram. We will be on Norwegian Encore and upgraded to the premium WiFi/streaming plan for $65 but this is only 1 device at a time. I can’t find any option to buy this plan for our other 2 phones. I’m considering the AT&T Cruise plan for $100 per line for the other 2 lines that aren’t covered by the Norwegian plan. My concern is the AT&T plan isn’t unlimited data. I believe it covers up to 200MB. I really have no idea if this is a lot or a little data. My question is - is it possible to purchase the Norwegian unlimited WiFi package on multiple phones? Or is the AT&T plan a better option. I just can’t afford to come home to a ridiculously high cell phone bill. We sail April 2020. 

WiFi calling worked great for me.  I was on (work of course) for over an hour. WhatsApp  is pretty slick too

WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app in 109 countries, according to Android device usage data. It allows you to send messages, pictures, videos and even voice recordings over the internet, rather than using your mobile network. This is ideal for iPhone users communicating with Android users, and vice versa

8 hours ago, clhrn17 said:

This is also my current dilemma. Cruising as a single parent with 2 teenagers who are products of today’s world and addicted to their cellphones. They won’t be constantly on their phones but I want to allow them to use their phones during down time. I also would like to like to catch up on news and use apps like Instagram. We will be on Norwegian Encore and upgraded to the premium WiFi/streaming plan for $65 but this is only 1 device at a time. I can’t find any option to buy this plan for our other 2 phones. I’m considering the AT&T Cruise plan for $100 per line for the other 2 lines that aren’t covered by the Norwegian plan. My concern is the AT&T plan isn’t unlimited data. I believe it covers up to 200MB. I really have no idea if this is a lot or a little data. My question is - is it possible to purchase the Norwegian unlimited WiFi package on multiple phones? Or is the AT&T plan a better option. I just can’t afford to come home to a ridiculously high cell phone bill. We sail April 2020. 

Let me just tell you what happened when we cruised with our 2 sons and their two teenagers each. One son allowed their phones and a WiFi plan. One son told them, “no way. This is a family vacation. We invested a lot of money in this cruise, and you are going to enjoy it”. The grandkids with WiFi spent 90% of time in cabin on their phones. Texting their dad to come hang with them in cabin while he was out enjoying cruise. The grandkids without their phones socialized, played basketball, swam, and generally enjoyed cruise with their parents and us. We only saw the grandkids with WiFi at dinner. We now have another family cruise planned for our 50th Anniversary. The son with the phone addicted kids figured out that it was a waste of money to even bring them. They are staying home this time. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, clhrn17 said:

200 mb isn’t a lot of data. I got a 1 gig (1,000 mb) plan for a 3 week international trip (wasn’t the cruise plan, just a land trip) and I used the data sparingly and stayed well with the 1 gig limit. But we also had wifi at our hotels so I only needed the data when we were out and about.

if they are using their phones for calling, texting, email and occasionally checking Facebook (once a day maybe For a few minutes); 200 mb should last 1-2 weeks just fine. If they are sending/receiving photos in text messages or email, posting photos to Facebook, browsing the internet regularly, or watching any videos (Facebook, YouTube, Netflix, etc), or navigation,  It will be gone quickly. You’ll also need to turn all of your background data use off. I am guessing that for your situation the unlimited data plan on the ship would be better. I personally haven’t purchased multiple data plans but I think it can be done. 

Edited by sanger727

7 hours ago, sanger727 said:

200 mb isn’t a lot of data. I got a 1 gig (1,000 mb) plan for a 3 week international trip (wasn’t the cruise plan, just a land trip) and I used the data sparingly and stayed well with the 1 gig limit. But we also had wifi at our hotels so I only needed the data when we were out and about.

if they are using their phones for calling, texting, email and occasionally checking Facebook (once a day maybe For a few minutes); 200 mb should last 1-2 weeks just fine. If they are sending/receiving photos in text messages or email, posting photos to Facebook, browsing the internet regularly, or watching any videos (Facebook, YouTube, Netflix, etc), or navigation,  It will be gone quickly. You’ll also need to turn all of your background data use off. I am guessing that for your situation the unlimited data plan on the ship would be better. I personally haven’t purchased multiple data plans but I think it can be done. 

I was able to do some sleuthing and found I indeed can pre purchase plans for each phone for a discounted price. Seems better than the AT&T plan for about the same cost. I’m sure they will be busy most of the time and not on their phones but am also realistic in the fact that they will be used and don’t want to come home to an outrageous phone bill. Thanks again!!

This is an old thread, but I can report I got the $50 text/talk plan last year for a cruise and I was able to text on the ship and on the shore at ports. Luckily, no emergency that required a phone call.

now that we aren’t landlords, I’m doing a cruiseline wifi plan on my next trip. 

On 7/15/2018 at 7:40 AM, grandmarnnurse said:

I’ve always been under the impression that if your phone is even off airplane mode, you will run up a huge bill. I’ve never heard of any plan that makes it feasible while cruising. That’s not to say that it doesn’t exist.

The issue can be, if your phone connects to a local cell system in a foreign country, then you put it in Airplane Mode or turn it off later, the phone is still registered to that local network.  So if someone calls you,  the call does not go through, so it routes to your voice mail.  But your voice mail is in your home country, which is a long distance call away.

So you may be charged the local network roaming rate for the call, plus the long distance back to your home country.  If someone leaves a long voice mail, it can be pricey.

Before I switched to T-Mobile with good international roaming, I would turn it Off, before I left the US.   Now, I put it in Airplane mode and only take it out if I am in a country with roaming agreement with T-Mobile.

On 7/15/2018 at 1:23 AM, JanJanG said:

Has anyone used the AT&T Cruise plan for on board cell use?

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-packages.html

Is it just $100 for onboard use or are there additional roaming fees. I really don't want to come home to a crazy cell phone bill; but, I will need cell use to keep up with work commitments.

The other option is wi-fi calling from my internet package. Does that work without charging roaming fees?

I would LOVE to turn my phone off and shove it in the safe; but, unfortunately that is not feasible with my job.

Any input, explanation of programs use, or personal experience with these options would be greatly appreciated.

For international travel, T-Mobile is hard to beat.  Unlimited texting and data (only 2G guaranteed), and 25 cents per minute calling in over 240 countries.

Not so great for cruising, in cellular mode.

The best, IMO, is to setup and use WiFi calling.  Once set up, anytime you have a WiFi connection, you can make and receive calls just like at home.   I even use it in my house, as it is a better signal than the cell signal on my lower level.

The other apps (Whatsapp, Skype, Viber, IMO, Messenger, etc) all work fine.  However, they require that both ends of the call have the app installed and used.  So, will your boss open some app, and call you on it, or would they rather pick up their desk or cell phone and call you like they do every other time?

Same for friends and family.

I have used most of the apps, and all work fine, just install, setup, and connect.

On 7/15/2018 at 8:37 AM, pe4all said:

While we have never used this new program ATT has, I do always use the international day pass plan they have. It is $10 a day while in port, and runs off your ATT plan, so whatever data, text, etc. you have, that is what you use. While on the ship I keep my phone in airplane mode, with data/data roaming off. I use the free Carnival hub app to keep in touch with dd on ship if I am somewhere she isn't. When I get to a port I just turn on my data and take phone off airplane mode, and get charged $10 for 24 hours. As we only go to 3-4 ports, it turns out way cheaper than the ships internet, or ATT ship plan. If I need to make a call back to dh at home, the cabin phone is $1.99 per minute, and I usually just make a fast call home - runs $2-$6.

^ This