Any TSA PRE flyed recently? I was checking flights on Delta they had new TSA Rules!

We saw the same note, and thought that it would be more like in Newark, where they claim to have to take any electronic items out of the bag- suggesting that it's the way to go. But that's the only airport that requires you to do that with phones and tablets as far as we can tell.

Travelling over the past two weeks, we noted no real shift in TSA Pre's operation. The only odd thing was in San Juan, everyone was TSA Pre, as they were doing a canine filter for all travelers. That appeared that it would be a pain, but in the end, it went pretty fast- and was normal TSA Pre.

I was just checking flight, and there was a sticky of the 3-1-1 and powered items. Does any TSA Pre's know if we have to be complicit?

Usually TSA Pre is anything 3oz under fit into qt clear bags, and we don't have to take anything out!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

I would hope you don't have to be complicit! :D;)

I fly weekly for work, and some airports enforce the electronics out, even in the Pre-Check line....sigh. I barely pay attention to anything the TSA goons have to say now, they all make up their own rules it seems! Fortunately at my home airport (Phoenix), PreCheck is always a breeze and no weird rules. I can't remember the last time I have taken liquids out.

I was just checking flight, and there was a sticky of the 3-1-1 and powered items. Does any TSA Pre's know if we have to be complicit?

Usually TSA Pre is anything 3oz under fit into qt clear bags, and we don't have to take anything out!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

I fly multiple times each month and have TSA Pre. The new powder 'rule' doesn't affect the 311 policy where you have to fit all liquids into a quart bag and each has to be 3 oz or less. I copied what it states on the TSA site and pasted it below-- there's no need to put into the quart bag and if it's 12 oz or less, it doesn't need to be pulled out and scanned separately. This new procedure applies if you have TSA Pre or not. Keep in mind that even if you have TSA Pre, the local airport reserves the right to ask you to remove items, allow further inspection and so on.

Powder-like substances greater than 12 oz. / 350 mL must be placed in a separate bin for X-ray screening. They may require additional screening and containers may need to be opened. For your convenience, we encourage you to place non-essential powders greater than 12 oz. in checked bags.

There was an article today in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/new-tsa-rule-affects-quantity-of-powders-allowed-in-carry-on-bags/2018/06/28/7052ca40-7a19-11e8-93cc-6d3beccdd7a3_story.html?utm_term=.16c8028cfc0e

It reads the new policy is for flights bound to the US from abroad. I flew from Jamaica on Friday and I did not see any added issues, but I did not have any carry on powders either.

I have flown 17 roundtrips so far this year and not one have I been 3-1-1 compliant in that I don't keep my liquids in a separate plastic bag. I simply put them all in one area of my carry-on and have never been questioned let alone stopped - just make sure to not have anything over 3 ounces.

On a flight two weeks ago from Newark - we were asked if there was more than one table per carryon for it to be removed. Since we each had 1 tablet per carryon, we just left them in our bags. Liquids did not need to be removed. Don't recall being asked about powders (don't think I had any anyways)

FYI, if you fly internationally, coming back, you will still need to have your liquids in a 1 liter bag and removed from your carry on.

I just stopped putting any liquids in my carry on. Except the occasional forgotten water bottle. :D

My husband flies on a regular basis for work. He has TSA pre and says it is hit and miss to take his iPad out. He never has to take liquids or food/candy out. He says some airports do it and others don't. He travels to different airports all over the eastern half of the country.

They made us take anything electronic larger than a cell phone (our eReaders) out of our bags in Santa Rosa recently.

I'm with others, it's always a guessing game what new rules will be in place.

The TSA precheck website still says that liquids and electronics can stay in the bag.

I know in Seattle, they opened a new nifty Precheck area. The problems was there were no clear instructions on what they wanted you to do (EVERYTHING had to go in it's own separate bin) and the agent was rather grumpy!

My husband flies on a regular basis for work. He has TSA pre and says it is hit and miss to take his iPad out. He never has to take liquids or food/candy out. He says some airports do it and others don't. He travels to different airports all over the eastern half of the country.

I have had Pre-Chek since it started and never had to take out my electronics or liquids.

If I were him, I would question why they are making me do what Pre-Chek is designed to avoid.

Now, SOME airports, and SOME departure entrance areas do not have a Pre-Chek scanning lane. They may have Pre-Chek waiting line, but once your docs are checked, you are lumped with the other passengers, and have to remove shoes, light outer wear, liquids and electronics.

That is has happened to me at DFW twice, the other option was to walk halfway down the terminal (which at DFW is a pretty hefty walk) for a real Pre-Chek line.

From the TSA site:

Electronics

As TSA rolls out new carry-on screening procedures, you will be asked to remove personal electronic devices larger than a cell phone from your carry-on bag and place them into a bin with nothing placed on or under them for X-ray screening.

Common examples of these devices include laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles.

But also this:

TSA uses unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening.

On powders:

Powder-like substances greater than 12 oz. / 350 mL must be placed in a separate bin for X-ray screening. They may require additional screening and containers may need to be opened. For your convenience, we encourage you to place non-essential powders greater than 12 oz. in checked bags.

It seems this was changed in 2009.

We have Global Entry and have at times had to remove electronics and liquids from bags. At least once at MSP and twice at SFO that I can remember off the top of my head. Those were just domestic flights. In general we have not had many issues at airports within the US, though it does seem each airport does it a little differently.

I can't recall ever traveling with any amount of powder so I wouldn't know if the procedures have had any changes.