Alaska Live, July 17th - 27th. Just the tip of the iceberg.

We have been to Alaska before, as I said earlier. Some have questioned, why would you return? Obviously it is beautiful and we always said we would return. We also said we wanted to take Owen, but when he was old enough to survive for hours on the bus.

So what was the technique that I used to bring the group together this time. My regular technique. First mention, then suggest, followed by Airdrop links, and then plain out persistent pestering until they cave. It took me less than a week. I secretly think they like to drag their heels, when in reality they are ready to pack the bags and leave ASAP. Both Lisa and Sharon laughed as I read them sentence above.

I went old school and showed up with cruise line itinerary magazines from a few different lines. I didn’t know that they still printed them.

cd98b342f84e89a511495e384fc8505d.jpg

Obviously we were a bit biased towards one.

034cd45aaf11f5a5770f71cb2d3ce516.jpg

Once we figured out the line we then had to look at ships, and north and south bound directions. One had a flow rider, the other didn’t. One was round trip and the other wasn’t. One can have a land tour and the other doesn’t. The decision between Explorer and Radiance was made quite quickly. Radiance it was.

Then we looked at itineraries and a date and found one.

2fd2d83f7055e3473212b99bcda3628c.jpg

Many hours were spend reviewing the land tours. RC doesn’t lay them out very well. They describe them but understanding their descriptive is like reading Egyptian hieroglyphs. That was a bit tougher. After much reading and me constantly asking questions with no real answers we figured it out. We picked 1B.

3411a6a87116f052d84a41a31cff3c29.jpg

132b47e59ef40b745d2341ec823087ad.jpg

Right now we are hanging at the Toronto Sheraton Gateway Hotel.

edc233002a245c550fd3f0e2d0fc6f68.jpg

Grand mother just commented that her cobs are coming along nicely. She immediately started laughing after she closed her mouth. TMI grandma.

For those of you who don’t know, she has quite the veggie garden at home. Sweet corn is soon in season.

Following!

This will be the only way I see Alaska for now. Living not too far from you myself, I cannot give up my warm summers to go to somewhere colder [emoji6]

Sabrina

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Alaska isn't always cold. We were there in 2013. The temps were above 25C (75F) every day. Actually , most days it was too hot. I remember being in Juneau, walking through the town and we kept ducking into the shadows to cool down. You never know, you might get lucky like we did

Great news. We have finally had some rain at home. Almost 3 weeks with no rain. That watering I did today was for not. We are in the red zone, and we should have rain for the next 4 hours. Hopefully the garden will be good for the time we are gone.

9a4944dba8b126b84fb14ebc69ba8b1d.jpg

It is raining so hard the downspout isn’t keeping up.

813731ac6115c2ba75de021fbb429a2e.jpg

d11381713d25ba1d9c9b308d6d6b23c8.jpg

• Like 1

Alaska isn't always cold. We were there in 2013. The temps were above 25C (75F) every day. Actually , most days it was too hot. I remember being in Juneau, walking through the town and we kept ducking into the shadows to cool down. You never know, you might get lucky like we did

My fingers are crossed, it is looking fairly good when we are there.

I'm really looking forward to following along on your trip, Andrew & family! We've taken the Radiance southbound 3 times (without the land portion) and loved it every time, especially Hubbard Glacier day.

I'm a bit flummoxed by your itinerary screenshot above, though. It looks like on July 20 you're both spending the night in Anchorage and sailing from Seward. Did they change the itinerary somehow?

Enjoy your trip! :)

Great news. We have finally had some rain at home. Almost 3 weeks with no rain. That watering I did today was for not. We are in the red zone, and we should have rain for the next 4 hours. Hopefully the garden will be good for the time we are gone.

It is raining so hard the downspout isn’t keeping up.

d11381713d25ba1d9c9b308d6d6b23c8.jpg

The Storm Trooper and the Boss are nice, but I'll take the Super Duty any day, if you run out of room...;)

Good to know. It's in our 10 year cruising plan [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a beautiful patio.

Can't wait for this review. We have been a few times and it's one of our favs. Our first was on Legend of the Seas for our 25th anniversary many years ago. Hubbard Glacier was the highlight on that trip.

Bon Voyage

What a beautiful patio.

Can't wait for this review. We have been a few times and it's one of our favs. Our first was on Legend of the Seas for our 25th anniversary many years ago. Hubbard Glacier was the highlight on that trip.

Bon Voyage

We have been to Hubbard on two occasions. One time it was sunny and the other time it was rainy. Hopefully we get the positive outcome again. Our first cruise was also our honeymoon with a southern sailing.

As for the patio, this is around the corner. We will either see the plants flourish or die when we are away. I’m hoping we get some rain every 4 days or so.

451512ad1594900070c08d67618233d8.jpg

The Storm Trooper and the Boss are nice, but I'll take the Super Duty any day, if you run out of room...;)

We might have to arm wrestle you for it. We live in snow belt and when we get blasted you need the 250.

Good to know. It's in our 10 year cruising plan [emoji6]

I think if anyone can do they should, 5, 10, or 15 year plan. It isn’t the same as the Caribbean with relaxing beach days but the scenery is spectacular. It is a bucket list cruise IMO.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I'm really looking forward to following along on your trip, Andrew & family! We've taken the Radiance southbound 3 times (without the land portion) and loved it every time, especially Hubbard Glacier day.

I'm a bit flummoxed by your itinerary screenshot above, though. It looks like on July 20 you're both spending the night in Anchorage and sailing from Seward. Did they change the itinerary somehow?

Enjoy your trip! :)

Sea Dayze that is the exact confusion that we saw through their material. Just a couple months ago, after final payment, we finally got a better descriptive of our land tour from RC. Now this makes more sense.

c51f7544174a07fb5f44290ae07f7e16.jpg

This is the portion of the review that I want to thank RSLeesburg, LittleBritain, and VacationloverMN for tips and posting the Compasses which helped in our planning. They also helped in answering questions that I posed to them.

Very cool! Must be such a different cruise from a typical Caribbean cruise! How amazing that Owen can be on these trips too.

PS - Never seen a sea day be referred to as "Inside Passage (Cruising)" before.

It has been an interesting few hours here at the airport. Tonight they have had 2 thunderstorms come through with a ground stop of 1.5 hours. Basically there is no movement on the tarmac. No plane movement was allowed or people movement from the plane. There was even a hydro loss, to which the generators kicked in with back up power, operating a third of the lights. It happened while we were having dinner but full power was back before we were done.

For anyone who is comfortable flying in the day of a cruise this would be an example of why to fly in the day before. This pics shows the delayed flights in red. No fun at all.

acf1edc20fc56a5ad8a13df48a37566c.jpg

Just a sneak peek of what you are likely to see adorning the hallways on Radiance [emoji12]

Glad to see you are presently en route. Hope Lucy keeps her high jinx to a minimum while you are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will keep an eye on Lucy as well as our neighbour who will feed her daily.

She is in guard tonight. Watch out mice.

a2bc6506f71807b32b721cac6119b22a.jpg

We are just tucked in for the night. Our alarms are set for 4:45 am and we fly at 7:30, so it will be an early start to the day. That being said the weather for Anchorage is looking decent for our arrival. Hopefully it doesn’t change.

7f08f2c1468c5a3408588d92285a33ec.jpg

It has been an interesting few hours here at the airport. Tonight they have had 2 thunderstorms come through with a ground stop of 1.5 hours. Basically there is no movement on the tarmac. No plane movement was allowed or people movement from the plane. There was even a hydro loss, to which the generators kicked in with back up power, operating a third of the lights. It happened while we were having dinner but full power was back before we were done.

For anyone who is comfortable flying in the day of a cruise this would be an example of why to fly in the day before. This pics shows the delayed flights in red. No fun at all.

I think if anyone can do they should, 5, 10, or 15 year plan. It isn’t the same as the Caribbean with relaxing beach days but the scenery is spectacular. It is a bucket list cruise IMO.

Check, check, and check [emoji4]

My parents are in Toronto this week. Heard about the crazy storm there earlier. Safe travels tomorrow Andrew!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Time to check some items off.

23118d139fd6db61fd807f93a6714d3d.jpg

q

I'm confused .. Unplug toilet?

Following. No land tour and we're going on Carnival, but leaving in 2 wks for our first Alaskan trip and I am excited to read your review

BTW, love your writing style

One things for sure, he won’t be finding a huge statue in a bar in Mexico.:D

Hey, now! :'):')

Time to check some items off.

23118d139fd6db61fd807f93a6714d3d.jpg

Step one: Turn off water.

Step two: Water plants.

The Canadian Way.

Next cruise, can I house sit for you? You know I'll take good care of Lucy.

We were also there that year in early June. It was too hot for Alaska. But we sure enjoyed the sunshine!

Last year we were on the first sailing of the year in mid May. It was rainy and cold for half of the ports. But we still loved it!

You can’t beat the beauty of Alaska!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums