My packing list. Would you add anything?

bbtbear

We travel for two months at time,sometimes more. Land with cruises sometimes mixed in. Twice a year. With carry on only. We have been doing it for six years. Cannot imagine sweating this issue so long and so hard. DW can be packed in an hour or less. Me? Twenty minutes tops.

Bottom line....the more you take the more you have to worry and prepare. And the more you worry and prepare the more items you pack that never really see the light of day.

Worrying and sweating the small stuff is not good for your health!

lol thanks for your concern about my health. In this case, thinking it through and planning it out was really soothing for me. I packed as I went along and figured it out. When it's time to get ready to walk out the door for my vacation, I'll be able to pack in about 20 minutes, too, and be prepared to my heart's content.

Take whatever you and your sister are comfortable with it is your cruise sure you may have a lot but you will learn from this cruise what you did not use you don’t take on the next one.

I use to take a bigger suitcase but I have learn after 7 cruises my 21 inch and a carry on bag is all I need I always roll my clothes for more room

Have a wonderful cruise when your cruise comes around

Thanks so much!

LOL I would take most of this to a hotel. I'd leave behind a handful of things. But this all packs into a medium suitcase and two carryons. I'd want to be prepared no matter where I went and I don't mind carrying the stuff.

One thought, would your hotel in NO be willing to hold items you only need after the cruise. I have done trips where I have started in one place gone off and done other chores and then come back and it's really nice if I have a separate small bag or suitcase vitamins that I only need for that destination in your case Mardi Gras in New Orleans. If the hotel would be willing to keep it like in a back office until you get off the cruise that would be less you would have to deal with.

I am so sorry about your dad and step dad. This past weekend marked two years since I have lost my dad. I would like to tell you that the hurting stops. But instead I will tell you that it gets easier. This will be a great trip for you and your sister and I'm so happy that you two have each other to share memories with. Whether you choose to stop at the photo ops or just asked a fellow passenger to take a picture or two please make sure you record this time with your sister.

One thought, would your hotel in NO be willing to hold items you only need after the cruise. I have done trips where I have started in one place gone off and done other chores and then come back and it's really nice if I have a separate small bag or suitcase vitamins that I only need for that destination in your case Mardi Gras in New Orleans. If the hotel would be willing to keep it like in a back office until you get off the cruise that would be less you would have to deal with.

I am so sorry about your dad and step dad. This past weekend marked two years since I have lost my dad. I would like to tell you that the hurting stops. But instead I will tell you that it gets easier. This will be a great trip for you and your sister and I'm so happy that you two have each other to share memories with. Whether you choose to stop at the photo ops or just asked a fellow passenger to take a picture or two please make sure you record this time with your sister.

Yes! I actually think I may be mailing a box to our NOLA hotel with a few things in it. Mardi Gras masks, warmer clothes just in case, etc. That way, I never even have to deal with the extra weight and bulk of those items when getting on the plane. I'll ship it back home, too. I did this when traveling to Dublin one year for the 100 year anniversary of James Joyce's Ulysses. I had a great turn-of-the-century costume that traveled in a box through the postal service while I jetted around on airplanes. lol!

Thanks for your kind words about my dads. I'm so sorry you lost your dad, too. I hope there is a cruise in your future where you'll get an opportunity to let your cares drift away, as well. I'll take your advice and make sure we come home with pictures. <3

Yes! I actually think I may be mailing a box to our NOLA hotel with a few things in it. Mardi Gras masks, warmer clothes just in case, etc. That way, I never even have to deal with the extra weight and bulk of those items when getting on the plane. I'll ship it back home, too. I did this when traveling to Dublin one year for the 100 year anniversary of James Joyce's Ulysses. I had a great turn-of-the-century costume that traveled in a box through the postal service while I jetted around on airplanes. lol!

Thanks for your kind words about my dads. I'm so sorry you lost your dad, too. I hope there is a cruise in your future where you'll get an opportunity to let your cares drift away, as well. I'll take your advice and make sure we come home with pictures. <3

Thank you, I actually cruise in November

Wow, why are there so many unkind people.

If you dont have anything nice/constructive to say.....why bother posting just to be nasty?

Thats why I have been a member for years, but never posted. But this made me cross enough to do it.

To the OP, your list looked excellent to me. ......nowhere near as long as my excel spreadsheet.

I have been on 20 cruises and Im always finding something new to add to my list to make life easier/less stressful.

I couldnt get past the first page, due to these amazingly superior posters, so these have already probably been mentioned. Magnets to stick things on cabin walls and air freshener for the bathroom.

Hope you have a great time.

Quite frankly, I think that the level of detail on your multiple lists is totally ridiculous. Just scrap it and come up with something simple. BTW - you will not need 90% of the stuff on your lists.

DON

Man Oh Man![emoji145]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have an awesome time! I’m currently packing for a 15 night cruise 5 night precruise stay in San Diego. I read your lists and I have packed many of the things on your list.

One thing I often forget to pack and end up purchasing in port or on board ( which is so expensive) is Aloe Vera gel for sunburn....

We love the magnetic hooks.. we use them every trip .. over 20 cruises...

Also in first aid kit.. I have a tooth repair kit purchased at CVS.. Incase a filling comes out.. never needed it but table mates used it...we bring pictures of our children and grandchild in magnetic frames and stick them on our walls...pen always carry one especially to port.. we send grandchildren post cards from each port... I also make PDF files of important information and store it on my phone as a backup such as health insurance card...copy of passport,AAA card,excursion reservations

Sincere condolences on the loss of your loved ones... Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2018 at 7:58 PM, gubby said:

Great list and extremely well-thought out. You likely will not use a lot of it, but how will you know until you actually cruise? As you will be the one schlepping the bags around, you should bring whatever you think you will need.

I lost both a brother and a BIL this year so I can relate to how you were able to relieve stress. I hope you continue to heal.

Thanks for your kind words. So sorry to hear you lost your brothers. 😞 

I think you and your sister are in for the trip of a lifetime.

I totally understand the packing list. I'm packed and ready to head out tomorrow and I know I have things in my suitcase I won't use but I'd rather pack them and not need them than having to hunt around the ship in the middle of the night for something minor that would have fit in a Ziploc baggie.

1 thing that I use at home that I've found extremely useful on every vacation & cruise is Dr. Bronner's 18 in 1 soap. I can wash clothes, dishes (I take my Yeti & straw everywhere too!), my hair and body with it. I keep some in my 3-1-1 bag for everything. If you decide to take some, try it at home first. I need a little more conditioner in my hair with it but I find it less of a problem than some of the products that are sold or given away in the travel size containers. There are also some bar soap options for multiple issues.

Enjoy every moment of your trip!!

- Iris

I swear sometimes I simply can't believe how rude people can be in life. It seems more prevalent here on these boards where apparently people have appointed themselves privileged and thus worthy of being rude to others.

BbtBear, I hope by now you have figured out your packing list and are ready to go. I am sorry to hear about your losses and I hope that this trip helps alleviate the pain. I wish you a wonderful sailing and wonderful memories that will last a life time. Good on you for sticking up for yourself in this "jungle".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/22/2018 at 8:12 PM, okinaw55 said:

I swear sometimes I simply can't believe how rude people can be in life. It seems more prevalent here on these boards where apparently people have appointed themselves privileged and thus worthy of being rude to others.

BbtBear, I hope by now you have figured out your packing list and are ready to go. I am sorry to hear about your losses and I hope that this trip helps alleviate the pain. I wish you a wonderful sailing and wonderful memories that will last a life time. Good on you for sticking up for yourself in this "jungle".

Thank you so much for your kindness! I have, indeed, completed my packing list and am almost completely packed for our trip on Feb 23. 🙂 And despite all of the crazy attacks here, it fits in 2 medium suitcases and a carry on. I'm good to go. 🙂 I really appreciate your post very much. Kindness is such a gift. All best wishes to you, as well!

• Like 1

We have enjoyed the sharing of your trip planning process and the list(s).  In the decades we have traveled, we have learned much: we enjoy the planning and preparations before the trip, the feeling we are being prepared with what we deem important, and have modified what we take and how we pack over the years.  It can be a lot of fun and a great learning experience all wrapped up together!

Best wishes for your trip and may you have many more together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKa2002 said:

We have enjoyed the sharing of your trip planning process and the list(s).  In the decades we have traveled, we have learned much: we enjoy the planning and preparations before the trip, the feeling we are being prepared with what we deem important, and have modified what we take and how we pack over the years.  It can be a lot of fun and a great learning experience all wrapped up together!

Best wishes for your trip and may you have many more together.

Thank you so much!!! All best wishes to you and yours, as well! 🙂

Can't believe how unkind some people have been on this thread. Pack what you want and enjoy your cruise. Sorry for your losses. Enjoy time with your sister.

People generally fall into two camps,those who pack lightly and those who take the kitchen sink !

Packing does not get easier for those with the kitchen sink mentality..I will take my 30th cruise later this summer and still take too much..I like to 'be prepared' and have 'choices'. Tried to use Vivienne Files for core capsule packing.

Have to pack in one large suitcase... only 50lbs airline allowance and a carry on with handbag.

As someone wrote upthread..what you are taking just seems more as you have typed it all out. Little more than I take.

Torch , clock, chargers and adapters. Purex washing/drying sheets are useful and provide pleasant scent,  use P20 sun protection to last all day. Maybe just one small tube for out and about. Ziploc bags very useful. Use vacuum bags to squash extras into case..watch weight though..easy to go over. Use ship provided shampoo but take heavy duty conditioner for sunshine and breeze exposure.

Shjp vacuum toilet system can only take certain type of toilet paper..take tissues and/or wipes when needed for ashore.

Make sure to switch your phone to aeroplane mode to avoid additional charges.

Bon Voyage !

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

Can't believe how unkind some people have been on this thread. Pack what you want and enjoy your cruise. Sorry for your losses. Enjoy time with your sister.

People generally fall into two camps,those who pack lightly and those who take the kitchen sink !

Packing does not get easier for those with the kitchen sink mentality..I will take my 30th cruise later this summer and still take too much..I like to 'be prepared' and have 'choices'. Tried to use Vivienne Files for core capsule packing.

Have to pack in one large suitcase... only 50lbs airline allowance and a carry on with handbag.

As someone wrote upthread..what you are taking just seems more as you have typed it all out. Little more than I take.

Torch , clock, chargers and adapters. Purex washing/drying sheets are useful and provide pleasant scent,  use P20 sun protection to last all day. Maybe just one small tube for out and about. Ziploc bags very useful. Use vacuum bags to squash extras into case..watch weight though..easy to go over. Use ship provided shampoo but take heavy duty conditioner for sunshine and breeze exposure.

Shjp vacuum toilet system can only take certain type of toilet paper..take tissues and/or wipes when needed for ashore.

Make sure to switch your phone to aeroplane mode to avoid additional charges.

Bon Voyage !

Thanks ever so much for your advice and your kindness! While there were a few on this thread who were just nasty for no apparent reason, it seems that many, many more people have been so kind and helpful. That's a good thing to remember for me. 🙂 All best to you and hope your next cruise is wonderful!

15 hours ago, bbtbear said:

Thank you so much!!! All best wishes to you and yours, as well! 🙂

Have a great trip!

I would bring some ones and 5's for tipping porters as I don't like lifting /carrying my big suitcases :=)

Sometime I use a pouch for my passport / id and cash at the airport just to make it easy to get to docs I need for TSA.

A-

• Like 1

I know you're on the final countdown now, and I hope you and your sister have a great time.  My sister and I have been doing cruises for several years now, and I bet if I wrote it all down, my list would be similar.  And I also know that after our last cruise a couple of weeks ago, fully 70% of what I took I didn't need or use or wear.  But it was ok - the only person's shoulder that hurt lugging it all around was mine, and our trip was great. 

One other note - I didn't read all the responses ( I don't like snarky people!), so I don't know if you or your sister enjoy a cocktail or 2.  But if you do, my favorite place on the Dream or any other Carnival ship is the Alchemy Bar.  Awesome times there!

Have fun, and have a great time at Mardi Gras!  I live an hour and a half north, and it's a lot of fun!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Have a great trip!

I would bring some ones and 5's for tipping porters as I don't like lifting /carrying my big suitcases :=)

Sometime I use a pouch for my passport / id and cash at the airport just to make it easy to get to docs I need for TSA.

A-

Thanks so much! Great minds think alike here! I have it on my to do list to go get a stack of 1's and 5's from the bank, and I have a neck pouch that is currently waiting for my departure with my passport and global entry card in it! 😄

6 hours ago, missmom said:

I know you're on the final countdown now, and I hope you and your sister have a great time.  My sister and I have been doing cruises for several years now, and I bet if I wrote it all down, my list would be similar.  And I also know that after our last cruise a couple of weeks ago, fully 70% of what I took I didn't need or use or wear.  But it was ok - the only person's shoulder that hurt lugging it all around was mine, and our trip was great. 

One other note - I didn't read all the responses ( I don't like snarky people!), so I don't know if you or your sister enjoy a cocktail or 2.  But if you do, my favorite place on the Dream or any other Carnival ship is the Alchemy Bar.  Awesome times there!

Have fun, and have a great time at Mardi Gras!  I live an hour and a half north, and it's a lot of fun!

Thanks so much for all the good wishes! We will DEFINITELY be enjoying a cocktail or two... like every day. lol! I have heard so many good things about Alchemy and can't wait to try it out! I hope you and your sister have a great time on your upcoming cruises, too! I am so ridiculously excited to spend this time with my sister. I haven't had an opportunity to travel with her like this or to spend this much time just the two of us since we were just kids decades ago. Such a treat! 🙂

5 hours ago, Slugsta said:

Not long now bbtbear! I hope you are enjoying these last few preparations and have a wonderful cruise 🙂

Thanks so much! I'm getting so excited and it's so hard because it's just my sister and I going while my husband and daughter stay home. It's really, REALLY hard not to gush all over them about how excited I am. lol!!! I hope you enjoy your next cruise, as well! 

22 hours ago, bbtbear said:

Thanks so much! I'm getting so excited and it's so hard because it's just my sister and I going while my husband and daughter stay home. It's really, REALLY hard not to gush all over them about how excited I am. lol!!! I hope you enjoy your next cruise, as well! 

Enjoy! 

I was intrigued by your extensive list. I did have a few suggestions, but have not gone through the few hundred other replies so I am not sure if they would be redundant. E.g., mailing excess stuff along the way, Or stashing it in a hotel you’ll be back to, is a great way to maintain an adequate supply of Stuff without being overburdened. Use PDFs on your phone/tablet rather than paper.

i don’t know if you were talked out of you duct tape, but I will note that I was once traveling with a youth group, we were at the airport redistributing stuff to get a few heavy suitcases under weight limit, one suitcase latch broke, and Duct Tape came to the rescue. 

One other thing. Keep track. My wife is a list person. She travels with a small suitcase, even for a six-seven week trip. She keeps track of every thing that gets worn (or not), everything that gets washed how many times, etc. When we get home, she revises her list for next time, eliminating those things seldom used, occasionally adding things she missed.

Have a good trip!

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

6 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Enjoy! 

I was intrigued by your extensive list. I did have a few suggestions, but have not gone through the few hundred other replies so I am not sure if they would be redundant. E.g., mailing excess stuff along the way, Or stashing it in a hotel you’ll be back to, is a great way to maintain an adequate supply of Stuff without being overburdened. Use PDFs on your phone/tablet rather than paper.

i don’t know if you were talked out of you duct tape, but I will note that I was once traveling with a youth group, we were at the airport redistributing stuff to get a few heavy suitcases under weight limit, one suitcase latch broke, and Duct Tape came to the rescue. 

One other thing. Keep track. My wife is a list person. She travels with a small suitcase, even for a six-seven week trip. She keeps track of every thing that gets worn (or not), everything that gets washed how many times, etc. When we get home, she revises her list for next time, eliminating those things seldom used, occasionally adding things she missed.

Have a good trip!

Stan

Thanks so much, Stan! I am, indeed, shipping a box ahead to my New Orleans hotel that has my Mardi Gras costume and other items that I will only use in the land portion of the trip and don't need on the ship. I intend to repack that box after Mardi Gras and ship it back home before I get on the plane. Definitely helpful not to have to carry everything along onto the ship! I'll pay close attention to adjusting the list when I get home, as I have another cruise booked for August with my husband and daughter now! 

Thanks again for your kindness and help. Cheers!