Power strips

Dsciorti

After reading a lot of topics on here I am getting mixed signals.

We purchased a 6 socket power strip without surge protection is that allowed on celebrity or will it be taken away? Or should we purchase a 4 USB port charging block.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After reading a lot of topics on here I am getting mixed signals.

We purchased a 6 socket power strip without surge protection is that allowed on celebrity or will it be taken away? Or should we purchase a 4 USB port charging block.

Probably not, but no one can say for certain.

However, I would say unless you actually need the outlets as opposed to just charging phones, tablets, etc. I would say go for the USB multi port charger. Much more convenient. That's all we bring these days.

Mike

Probably not, but no one can say for certain.

However, I would say unless you actually need the outlets as opposed to just charging phones, tablets, etc. I would say go for the USB multi port charger. Much more convenient. That's all we bring these days.

Mike

I agree and go the further step of using one with a European style plug. That leaves the US style socket for all other thing unrelated to charging devices.

The UK version (https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/booking-conditions/) of prohibited items lists "electrical extension cords" twice. It doesn't specifically mention "power strips" or "surge suppressors."

I think you'll be OK with something like https://smile.amazon.com/UPWADE-Protector-Charging-Multi-Port-Portable/dp/B06XFZPQSM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532073591&sr=8-3&keywords=travel+extension+cord and even better if it's just like https://smile.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1532073755&sr=8-25&keywords=travel+extension+cord. I have one of these, but it's getting hard to find one without USB ports nowadays.

Typically, there is one 110v and one 220v outlet, and we want to connect the multi-port charger and the laptop. An alternative, if you only need two, is to bring the continental adapter you got for use in Europe. If you didn't bring one, you can buy one for €1 at any convenience store.

The UK version (https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/booking-conditions/) of prohibited items lists "electrical extension cords" twice. It doesn't specifically mention "power strips" or "surge suppressors."

I think you'll be OK with something like https://smile.amazon.com/UPWADE-Protector-Charging-Multi-Port-Portable/dp/B06XFZPQSM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532073591&sr=8-3&keywords=travel+extension+cord and even better if it's just like https://smile.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1532073755&sr=8-25&keywords=travel+extension+cord. I have one of these, but it's getting hard to find one without USB ports nowadays.

Typically, there is one 110v and one 220v outlet, and we want to connect the multi-port charger and the laptop. An alternative, if you only need two, is to bring the continental adapter you got for use in Europe. If you didn't bring one, you can buy one for €1 at any convenience store.

The UPWADE device you linked to is surge protected, and unlike some devices, boldly states this and its quite respectable joule rating. Surge protectors are prohibited as dangerous, and are the cause of any prohibition on power strips and extension cords that the cruise lines have initiated.

The Monster device you link to is non-surge protected, but care is needed, as Monster does make surge protected devices as well. It is typically the "mixed" power strips (power and USB) that are surge protected, while "pure" USB chargers are almost universally not, and the more inexpensive "pure" power strip (only power outlets) are also not surge protected.

The problem is that RCI has banned all extension cords, and power strips are simply extension cords with multiple outlets, so I believe Celebrity has as well. Saying that, anecdotal evidence is here on CC, that "pure" USB chargers are allowed on RCI.

Officially, your power strip should not be taken on board. Reality is that they may or may not take it...no way to predict.

Multiple port USB chargers are so inexpensive today that I'd recommend you just buy one that works 110/220V 50/60 hz (Almost all do) and then it doesn't matter if they take the power strip..in fact, you may not even need to take it. I have had excellent luck with multiple Anker chargers

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532090362&sr=8-3&keywords=four+port+usb+charger&refinements=p_89%3AAnker

One note...I suggest you buy one with a cord between the charger and the power outlet because you never know which way the polarized plug is positioned or if the plug is recessed. The Anker I suggested has a cord with a built in US/EU power connector.

This is getting very frustrating. We need to charge 2 phones, 1 kindle, and 3 camera batteries. Only the kindle can charge with usb, all the others use plugs. So what can we use that Celebrity and RC will accept? Man, I am missing NCL where we can use power strips

This is getting very frustrating. We need to charge 2 phones, 1 kindle, and 3 camera batteries. Only the kindle can charge with usb, all the others use plugs. So what can we use that Celebrity and RC will accept? Man, I am missing NCL where we can use power strips

Just being nosy- what kind of phones do you have that don’t use usb? I thought they all did these days. (Even DH’s ancient flip phone does! :D)

You can also take a plug converter so you can use the European socket. They may even have some on the ship that you could borrow (but they're not expensive and are handy to have if you travel). You can find pictures of what those look like.

Funny how thousands of people a week make due with what's available without freaking out.

You can also take a plug converter so you can use the European socket. They may even have some on the ship that you could borrow (but they're not expensive and are handy to have if you travel). You can find pictures of what those look like.

Funny how thousands of people a week make due with what's available without freaking out.

Received a 3 piece plug converter set along with a bottle of wine and a hardcover ledger for booking a future cruise from Celebrity while on the Equinox. We drank the wine and will probably never use the plug converter.

Yo can charge two at a time. You can plug things in overnight. I guess I don’t see the difficulty

My Kindle could go over a week or more without needing a charge... And I agree that most phones these days do have USB chargers.

First power surge strips were not allowed. Then power strips were not allowed, now extension cords with multi plug adapters are not allowed. I don't know if there are any options left.

I am glad that some of you don't have any difficulty. Our phones DO NOT have USB chargers. Our battery chargers DO NOT have USB chargers. All have the chunky blocks so the chargers take up more than one plug.

So please, if you have any options, let me know. I feel we are being challenged by some posters about the chargers we have. Remember, CC is to help cruisers. Thank you.

I have a palm centro. I'll start searching ebay for usb cords.

It appears that USB charging cables are still available for the Palm Centro. You can get a 5-pack on Amazon here. I don't know the power requirements for the Palm; one of the Anker smart USB charging hubs "should" auto adjust to the correct power. With two phones plus a Kindle, I'd probably look at this one.

Alternatively, since from what I see online the carriers are phasing out support for the Palm, maybe it's time to buy an inexpensive Android or iPhone? From what I'm reading, Verizon hopes to shut down it's 3G service in favor of LTE in just over a year, at which point the Palm won't function as a phone. Just a thought...

But yes, if you buy the cables and the hub, you should be good and will only need one plug. AND you could use them at home and free up outlets...

First power surge strips were not allowed. Then power strips were not allowed, now extension cords with multi plug adapters are not allowed. I don't know if there are any options left.

I am glad that some of you don't have any difficulty. Our phones DO NOT have USB chargers. Our battery chargers DO NOT have USB chargers. All have the chunky blocks so the chargers take up more than one plug.

So please, if you have any options, let me know. I feel we are being challenged by some posters about the chargers we have. Remember, CC is to help cruisers. Thank you.

Yes there is one simple solution....think of when you were young, what did your parents do?...keep it simple....something along the line of:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-15-Amp-Heavy-Duty-Triplex-Outlet-Orange-LT-6/204836969

You can get a less robust one....walmart/target/etc. No cord.

Edited by ghstudio

I have a palm centro. I'll start searching ebay for usb cords.

Thanks, that’s interesting! I’ve never seen one of those before. Sort of like a modern blackberry?

I think a cube tap-type thing would help for some of your chargers. Amazon has one with two prongs (without a grounding plug) which might meet the safety requirements for use on board.

https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-4400W-BOX-15-Amp-125-Volt-Receptacle/dp/B000CBHWC6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1532122434&sr=8-14&keywords=Cube+tap

Thanks everyone. I just got a usb charging cable for each of our phones from ebay and a 6 port usb hub from Walmart. So that leaves two camera battery chargers on a triplex plug. What a pain.

My palm centro is my lifeblood since I sync it to Outlook. This is the only phone available to sync with Outlook without needing a plan with data.

<<Alternatively, since from what I see online the carriers are phasing out support for the Palm, maybe it's time to buy an inexpensive Android or iPhone? From what I'm reading, Verizon hopes to shut down it's 3G service in favor of LTE in just over a year, at which point the Palm won't function as a phone. Just a thought...>> NOOOOOOO:loudcry: