Naples/Capri concern

cruz4natic

We are thinking of doing Capri on our own by ferry in April. The earliest ferry we could get would get us to Capri at 9am and we would have to be on the 1:40 return ferry to get us back in time. This only gives us 4 1/2 hours on the island. Is that enough time to do the bus to Annacapri and the chair lift to the top and then back down to the ferry pier? Seems very rushed. The round trip ferry from Naples to Capri is 80 euros for 2 adults. Seems like a lot for 4 hours rushing around the island. We'd also like to take a boat around the island and see the Blue Grotto, but we could probably save that for a future trip.

What do you think, is it worth it?

Thanks,

Tony

7 minutes ago, disneykins said:

We are on NCL Spirit, arrives at 7 but leaves at 4. We've done Pompeii and the Amalfi coast so maybe a day to stay in Naples have some pizza and check out the museum with the Pompeii and Herculaneum artifacts.

I think that sounds like a splendid idea. The museum is wonderful. There's also an "Underground Naples" tour that's fun and interesting if you're looking to do something more ambitious.

https://www.napolisotterranea.org/en/naples-underground/

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think that sounds like a splendid idea. The museum is wonderful. There's also an "Underground Naples" tour that's fun and interesting if you're looking to do something more ambitious.

https://www.napolisotterranea.org/en/naples-underground/

Thanks I'll check that out.

At the risk of belittling a point, we have long (for years) posted that folks should carefully review their port times and day of the week.  Both MSC and NCL have a habit of planning cruises with truncated port times.  The best way to deal with this is before booking (simply consider a different cruise line).

To answer the OP's question you need to consider a few things.  You can get up to Anacapri faster by taking a taxi (but this costs more money).  But that chair lift is about 15 min in each direction plus you will want some time at the top (there is a café).  And it is possible that there will be a queue to get on the chair lift..although we have never waited more then a few minutes.  Can you do it in the allotted time?  Probably.  But it will be a rushed day and you will be paranoid about getting back down to Marina Grande to catch your return boat.  If you can live with being rushed and some anxiety then perhaps it will be fun.  Personally, we would have booked a cruise that gives the normal 10 hrs+ in Naples.   I will add that our recent cruise on the Divina (yacht club) made us a MSC fan.  But not so sure we would book their European cruises until they learn about the idea of having fewer ports with longer port days (or even overnights).  MSC seems to have their ferry mentality in Europe (passengers embark/disembark in nearly every port) rather then a cruise point of view.

Hank 

• 1 month later...

The smaller boats that take you into the Blue Grotto hold four passengers, two on each end with the gondolier in the middle.. When the tide is high, you become very close to the person sitting on your end of the boat. Going into the grotto, all passengers fold from the waist down with their head resting on their knees. Returning from the grotto, we had to lay back with our heads resting on the person sitting behind us. If you go at lower tides, this should not be a problem. My husband who is 6'2'decided to skip the grotto and wait for our group to return. A lady who has claustrophobia did the same. I have a touch of claustrophobia, but pushed through the anxiety and was thrilled with the experience.