CruiseNext Program Cruise Next Deposit Certificate FAQ

pghflyer

Very sorry, brandycroz is correct. If you want to book directly with NCL and already have your certificate applied in your account, you should be good to go. 

I never book with NCL direct and my agent has to handle getting it applied (I think they call in). I don't think I could apply myself online a certificate against a reservation booked somewhere else (agent handles). You cannot do the transfer of a certificate to someone else online. 

Anyhow apologies for the incomplete / inaccurate info. 

I may be confused on this, but currently we have two cruises booked in 2021, but unsure what date will work with our schedule. I was planning as the time got closer to figure out which cruise we would be able to do and apply our 2 CruiseNext deposits on the date that works with our schedule and cancel the other cruise. This decision would be made at least 6 months before the cruise and used on a balcony room.

If I am reading this right I would not be able to apply these deposits on the cruise as it would be an existing reservation as they can only be used on new reservations? I was hoping if we booked now we could lock in rates today and decide which dates would work as time got closer. Any experience with this?

Yeah the T&Cs do say it is for new bookings.....however, I was able to apply 2 certificates to my last cruise which I had booked about 3 months prior (and told my agent at that time that I would be providing certificates in the near future), but it was still about 12 months prior to the cruise date when I got them and applied them.  Probably just a YMMV on how persuasive your agent is when calling in to get them applied - I would think they wouldn't make a big deal about it if you could still cancel and get your deposit refunded.

Edited by pghflyer

I know the terms and conditions are always changing but in general to use 2 Cruise Next certs does the booking typically have to be 6 months or more in advance? For example we are considering a thanksgiving booking that is more like 3 months from now. Would they only allow 1 or could you use 2 (with current rules?)

12 minutes ago, tdeyette said:

I know the terms and conditions are always changing but in general to use 2 Cruise Next certs does the booking typically have to be 6 months or more in advance? For example we are considering a thanksgiving booking that is more like 3 months from now. Would they only allow 1 or could you use 2 (with current rules?)

For the month of August NCL allowing 2 CN certs to be applied to any category cabin.  No idea if that will be extended but generally the use of 2 vouchers is restricted to balcony or above and yes, booking a certain number of months in advance of sailing.  It's usually 6 months in advance although I've seen it as 4 months or closer in. 

TA told me it's the first time she's seen them honoring 2 for any category..  I sure took advantage of it and hope you can as well!

I am about to use 2 CN certs of $250 each against a new booking I am just about to make under the double up promotion.

However the booking is with NCL UK - it seemed from the FAQ's I read that the conversion to pounds will be at the rate it was when I bought the CN certs several years ago, whatever that was.

Is that correct?  -   It would be better for me if they used the current $ - GBP conversion rate as the pound sadly is down the proverbial toilet due to Brexit  etc.

5 minutes ago, Griller said:

I am about to use 2 CN certs of $250 each against a new booking I am just about to make under the double up promotion.

However the booking is with NCL UK - it seemed from the FAQ's I read that the conversion to pounds will be at the rate it was when I bought the CN certs several years ago, whatever that was.

Is that correct?  -   It would be better for me if they used the current $ - GBP conversion rate as the pound sadly is down the proverbial toilet due to Brexit  etc.

The vouchers should be listed on your account. If you log into myncl then you should see them with the sterling amount. You are correct that this was set when you purchased them, rather than the current rate.

My ones I bought last week are worth £30 more than the one I have from last year.

8 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

The vouchers should be listed on your account. If you log into myncl then you should see them with the sterling amount. You are correct that this was set when you purchased them, rather than the current rate.

My ones I bought last week are worth £30 more than the one I have from last year.

No unfortunately it only shows them in $ - My NCL account is a US one so I don't think it would show in pounds.

Anyway it really doesn't matter as I see that the date I bought them the pound was only 5 cents higher than it is now.

Edited by Griller

Good question Griller, wish I knew the answer. The T&Cs simply say "Once the cruise has concluded, the CND will be converted into the currency of your current reservation and your CND(s) will be added to your Norwegian Cruise Line guest record (Latitudes Rewards account). Currency exchange rates are set at the time of purchase. To change the currency of a CND; simply email cruisenext@ncl.com with your Latitudes Rewards number and request the currency for your new reservation."

It sure sounds like how you describe but I am really surprised, just because it seems it would be more difficult to track the exchange rate on every purchase, multiple times a day, by numerous customers all over the world daily buying certificates. Impressive if they do this when they can't even show me my transaction history on my TV on every ship right now! 🙂

Having never done one in another currency, I don't even know if the rate of reference is a legit independent exchange rate, the rate for the day on board, or just them referring to whatever rate your credit card gives you when NCL processed it in USD.

Yeah, GBP has been swirling down unfortunately, I am sure others have done this and can chime in for you or just email (address above) or call NCL to ask.......(and let us know back here!). Good luck!

...nevermind, see someone already verified you were correct.

Edited by pghflyer

1 minute ago, Griller said:

No unfortunately it only shows them in $ - My NCL account is a US one so I don't think it would show in pounds.

OK, I assumed that you had a UK account.

When you purchase the vouchers they are issued in a specific currency, usually based on where you booked the cruise you were on at the time from. That is why the conversion is done at the time you purchase them. You need to call to get them converted, and may be lucky and find that the date of conversion at purchase doesn't apply in this case.

10 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Good question Griller, wish I knew the answer. The T&Cs simply say "Once the cruise has concluded, the CND will be converted into the currency of your current reservation and your CND(s) will be added to your Norwegian Cruise Line guest record (Latitudes Rewards account). Currency exchange rates are set at the time of purchase. To change the currency of a CND; simply email cruisenext@ncl.com with your Latitudes Rewards number and request the currency for your new reservation."

It sure sounds like how you describe but I am really surprised, just because it seems it would be more difficult to track the exchange rate on every purchase, multiple times a day, by numerous customers all over the world daily buying certificates. Impressive if they do this when they can't even show me my transaction history on my TV on every ship right now! 🙂

Having never done one in another currency, I don't even know if the rate of reference is a legit independent exchange rate, the rate for the day on board, or just them referring to whatever rate your credit card gives you when NCL processed it in USD.

Yeah, GBP has been swirling down unfortunately, I am sure others have done this and can chime in for you or just email (address above) or call NCL to ask.......(and let us know back here!). Good luck!

I don't think that the T&C's are all that clear in Grillers situation.

When I purchase a CruiseNext it is converted to pounds at the time, and shows up in my account at that rate, in line with the T&C's. I think that is the situation that the T&C's are referring to and not necessarily Grillers case. For them, the vouchers were purchased for a US account, and as you say, converting them at the rate at purchase would require tracking the exchange rate (well, looking it up anyway). I suspect there is a very good chance they don't bother doing that and will just convert at the current rate.

It will be interesting to hear what does happen.

35 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

My credit card used to purchase the CN certs was in fact a US one, I have them in both currencies as I have income in both places and pay taxes in both and other boring reasons.

I just googled the date it says on NCL website that I bought them and saw it was $1.26, and now its $1.22ish  so it can't be a big deal whatever.

Don't think I will buy any more CN certs as we don't seem to really cruise NCL as much as we thought we might, we live  near Port Canaveral and thought we would cruise Epic more but we have now seen Priscilla Queen of the Desert 4 times and its enough. And the bathrooms are weird.

This next inaugural transatlantic on Encore should be fun, the show is Kinky Boots. And the extremely wonderful and liberal drinks package is included as booked in the UK we get it on an Inside GTY which we wouldn't if booking in the US, even though its a bit cheaper in the US for the basic cabin.

So worth it, and we can use 2 x CN certs before they expire on us. Just one left then.

Edited by Griller

• 2 weeks later...

Technically #4 in the terms says "A CND can only be applied to a new reservation" but I have definitely had my agent apply to an existing reservation that I had already put a deposit on and was still in the full cancellation period.

• 2 weeks later...

I HOPE THIS CONTINUES🤞 

It looks like they continue to extend the great 'Use 2' for any category without limitations like 6 months in advance of cruise.  l  This really makes it easier to pick up a cruise when you haven't had a chance to plan far in advance.   Copied current Terms & Conditions below.   

CruiseNext DoubleUp! Offer

Booking Window: August 01, 2019 – September 30, 2019 11:59pm EST

Offer Details: Book ANY category stateroom and apply TWO Cruise Reward, CruiseNext, CruiseNext Haven or CruiseNext Lite deposits.

Terms and Conditions
Offers are applicable to NEW reservations only.
Offer is based on priced category.
Cruise Reward, CruiseNext, and CruiseNext Haven are valid for sailings 6 nights or longer.
CruiseNext Lite deposits are valid for 3-5-night sailings only.
CruiseNext Ultimate reservations are eligible for this offer.
Currency exchange rates are set at the time of purchase.
Government taxes, port expenses & fees, general excise tax (GET), and discretionary on-board service charges and/or gratuities are additional.
Cancellation Fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends the purchase of travel protection on all bookings.
Offer is capacity controlled and can be withdrawn at any time.
Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion.
Other restrictions may apply.
Not applicable to chartered dates and group types: CMI OP EVENT, CMI OP LG EVENT, INCREG & INCLARGE.
Applicable to all offices.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this question has already been asked, if so, I apologize.

I have a certificate that I'd like to use for a new booking. A 3rd party website, rhymes with Encyclopedia, has the same cruise on the same date as NCL has on their site - for the same price and same perks, but with an extra $100 OBC. 

Can I use my CruiseNext certificate on this website or can I only use it on NCL.com? 

Thanks

12 minutes ago, kenns said:

Not sure if this question has already been asked, if so, I apologize.

I have a certificate that I'd like to use for a new booking. A 3rd party website, rhymes with Encyclopedia, has the same cruise on the same date as NCL has on their site - for the same price and same perks, but with an extra $100 OBC. 

Can I use my CruiseNext certificate on this website or can I only use it on NCL.com? 

Thanks

Almost all of the ta's can accept the cruise next certificate it's very common you would just need to call and ask them

If someone can provide some insight on this, I would appreciate it.

I am looking to use transferred CruiseNext certificates for an upcoming cruise on a suite, but I was informed neither the single $500 Haven certificates nor the two $250 regular certificates would satisfy the standard suite deposit requirement of $1500.

Has anyone had any success with this option?

2 hours ago, CYZCO said:

I am looking to use transferred CruiseNext certificates for an upcoming cruise on a suite, but I was informed neither the single $500 Haven certificates nor the two $250 regular certificates would satisfy the standard suite deposit requirement of $1500.

You need a total of $1500 deposit, as long as they continue to get that and they’ve had that as Their policy now for almost two years I doubt they will lower it

7 hours ago, CYZCO said:

Success???    Just redeem the 2 deposits and pay the difference.    Simple.  😀😀😀😀

7 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Success???    Just redeem the 2 deposits and pay the difference.    Simple.  😀😀😀😀

Not that clear cut.

- On the NCL CruiseNext Terms and Conditions page - "CruiseNext Haven deposits act as the full deposit for all staterooms onboard qualified sailings." 

- On the first page of this FAQ - "A nice perk is the certificate satisfies your deposit obligation in full, so you don’t have to pay any additional deposit (unless booking a Suite/Haven with a non-Suite/Haven certificate)."