Proper etiquette for MDR

Sbjefm

Can someone tell me what we should be doing when we decide to not eat in the MDR at our allotted time? Also, I have 3 children that are included in the table seating and sometimes they go to the kids club instead. The reason I’m asking is because we are a large group (11) so when we don’t show it’s a big table left empty. And the few times only a couple of us dined the remainder of the seats were left empty. Do they not fill them with anytime diners? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you know ahead of time that you won't be dining, it is customary to let the servers know. If you have an assigned dining time they don't usually seat others at your table, and Your Time Dining is usually done in only 1 of the 2 MDRs.

If you know ahead of time that you won't be dining, it is customary to let the servers know. If you have an assigned dining time they don't usually seat others at your table, and Your Time Dining is usually done in only 1 of the 2 MDRs.

Good to know thanks. Possibly our MDR was not the one with anytime dining. I just felt bad because I had walked past and saw our huge table empty.

:D As others have said it's a nice courtesy to let the wait staff know you will not be coming the next night. If by chance you can't and you don't show up? no big deal an easy night for the wait staff.

Can someone tell me what we should be doing when we decide to not eat in the MDR at our allotted time? Also, I have 3 children that are included in the table seating and sometimes they go to the kids club instead. The reason I’m asking is because we are a large group (11) so when we don’t show it’s a big table left empty. And the few times only a couple of us dined the remainder of the seats were left empty. Do they not fill them with anytime diners? Thanks.

Don't worry about it.

I also agree that it’s a nice courtesy. I did think that if you have speciality reservations that the MDR is notified. I only say that because one night I had dinner in the steakhouse and the next night my MDR waiting asked how we liked it. Has anyone else had this same experience?

We always let them know when we planned to miss dinner. I agree with others who say to stop by and let them know you will miss. Also, if some of your party will not be joining you, nice to let them know that as well. We traveled last year with 6 adults and 6 teens and they were hit and miss on dinner, sometimes staying at the pool later or grabbing pizza 30 mins before dining. We just let them decide if they wanted to join or not. Also the YTD people are in a totally separate dining room from the set time dining. Since October of last year, we have opted for YTD and love it, but we do miss the old way where the wait team got to know us and we them throughout the cruise. They always seem real happy to hear about your experiences on the cruises, whether it be a show you saw or a special dining experience or excursions so they will ask you about it if you mention specialty dining. Also when my son was younger, the wait team used to bring his food extra fast if we told them my son wanted to go to camp. I would leave in between courses to drop him off and come back to the table. Sometimes, he would eat dinner with the group but either way the wait team took great care to bring the items they knew he enjoyed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds like you are not "sharing" the table with anyone else. The waiters are very much used to having people not show up, now that you have so many options for dinner. Your table is your table for the week, whether you use it or not. The waiters will take care of you when you show, and when you are absent, they will be happy to work less.

If you know you won't be at dinner, I always will tell my table mates, as well as the waiter. After all, your table mates are now your friends for the week. Treat them as such. If you just decide at the last minute you don't want to go, than no worries. Not an issue, and no need to tell anyone.

We always let them know when we planned to miss dinner. I agree with others who say to stop by and let them know you will miss. Also, if some of your party will not be joining you, nice to let them know that as well. We traveled last year with 6 adults and 6 teens and they were hit and miss on dinner, sometimes staying at the pool later or grabbing pizza 30 mins before dining. We just let them decide if they wanted to join or not. Also the YTD people are in a totally separate dining room from the set time dining. Since October of last year, we have opted for YTD and love it, but we do miss the old way where the wait team got to know us and we them throughout the cruise. They always seem real happy to hear about your experiences on the cruises, whether it be a show you saw or a special dining experience or excursions so they will ask you about it if you mention specialty dining. Also when my son was younger, the wait team used to bring his food extra fast if we told them my son wanted to go to camp. I would leave in between courses to drop him off and come back to the table. Sometimes, he would eat dinner with the group but either way the wait team took great care to bring the items they knew he enjoyed.

I absolutely loved getting to know our waiter during the cruise. He was amazing and so kind. Near the end of the cruise I found out that one of my cats had passed away and I was crying at a table in Lido breakfast area and he saw me and asked what was wrong and then went and got me breakfast and coffee. I love getting to know all the staff. They have incredible stories to tell and by the time I left I felt like I was saying goodbye to family.

Also, I have 3 children that are included in the table seating and sometimes they go to the kids club instead.

Camps are closed for dinner from 5pm til 7pm.

Do you have late seating (8:15)

This is what I thought as well and so last time we painfully sat through 6pm dinner seating with them BUT I found out later that you can bring them to the Lido and check them in to eat there with the kids club and then at 7pm they head up to the kids club. Sigh. Lol. It would have been sooooo useful to use and enjoy dinner in peace.

On our second Carnival cruise when our kids would have been about 15 and 13 and we had a MDR booth for 4 (using it every night as we always do), my DW and I went to the specialty restaurant one night while the kids went to a 'grown up' dinner by themselves like full adults in the MDR. They couldn't have been more excited, dressing up a bit even though it wasn't Elegant night. The night before I had informed our head waiter about our plan and tipped him. He and the wait staff fawned over our kids like they were celebrities. I think the Matre D even paid them a special visit. Still one of their favorite cruising memories.

If we are sitting with others and suddenly decide to have dinner on lido would stop by dining room and tell servers so others at our table do not have to wait for us

We avoid this by saying towards the end of the meal on the first night that we dine at the table that if for any reason we aren't there within 5-10 minutes of opening on any night in future please order without us, we may decide to dine at the lido buffet. Works well.

I do think this thread's title is a bit of an oxymoron but that is for another thread entirely :) that we've all read too many of in the past.

Edited by sanmarcosman

Camps are closed for dinner from 5pm til 7pm.

Do you have late seating (8:15)

That’s right, you have to drop them off for dinner with the group and they will head back to camp for the evening. It was many years before I realized this, so my son ate with us. Sometimes painful 5 course meal for a kid but he survived. He was the only child in our group of six for many cruises so we made sure they were enjoyable for him. He is 14 now and loves to cruise.

On our second Carnival cruise when our kids would have been about 15 and 13 and we had a MDR booth for 4 (using it every night as we always do), my DW and I went to the specialty restaurant one night while the kids went to a 'grown up' dinner by themselves like full adults in the MDR. They couldn't have been more excited, dressing up a bit even though it wasn't Elegant night. The night before I had informed our head waiter about our plan and tipped him. He and the wait staff fawned over our kids like they were celebrities. I think the Matre D even paid them a special visit. Still one of their favorite cruising memories.

This is a great idea. We may do this on our upcoming cruise. We have 3 teens who are not interested in going to the steakhouse. The wait teams are so nice and accommodating. They really do make a difference in our cruise experience.

Similar story with our girls at that age! We actually thought they were going to the buffet but unbeknownst to us they decided to dress up and eat in the MDR. It was their 1st cruise but they felt comfortable enough with the wait staff to venture on their on their own. Younger sis did embarrass older one though when she ordered an expresso with dessert lol! Had no idea what it was but sounded sophisticated; the waiter though played right along with her. It's a favorite memory and one of many reasons why we love cruising!!

Similar story with our girls at that age! We actually thought they were going to the buffet but unbeknownst to us they decided to dress up and eat in the MDR. It was their 1st cruise but they felt comfortable enough with the wait staff to venture on their on their own. Younger sis did embarrass older one though when she ordered an expresso with dessert lol! Had no idea what it was but sounded sophisticated; the waiter though played right along with her. It's a favorite memory and one of many reasons why we love cruising!!

What I remember most was that it made our kids feel so very grown up. I'm sure it was their very first 'fine dining' experience without an adult (parent/grandparent) present. And they were MDR veterans by then so there was no nervousness at all. They were also extremely polite and well behaved so we didn't worry whatsoever. Very special for those middle/early HS type kids.

This is a great idea. We may do this on our upcoming cruise. We have 3 teens who are not interested in going to the steakhouse. The wait teams are so nice and accommodating. They really do make a difference in our cruise experience.

I think it works best if you have a 'family only' table as we typically did in that era. I suppose it might depend on your tablemates at a larger table and the ease of conversation for your kids with that group. We've never been seated at a large 'group table' with them so it was never an issue for us. Also, we were always fixed time diners back then so they knew our waiters.