Need thoughts on Mexican Riviera Cruise

tourismtessy

We did the Mex Riv once. It's a 'change up' cruise to do something different, especially if it involves a plane ride to get there. I will say that I am intrigued by a cruise that gets us significantly further down the coast beyond PV. We'll likely do that on Princess someday. But if given the option of a Caribbean vs. 7 day Mex Riv, I'll choose the former 9 out of 10 times.

For a wonderful and extremely affordable experience in Mazatlan/Stone Island, I have 3 words, "Maria's Happy Horses"

Pick-up from the port, water taxi to the island, a horse ride on the beach and through a coconut plantation and then a cold drink at a restaurant on the beach. All for $35 per person. You can purchase fresh seafood while there on your own. Sofia is your guide, and she is amazing!

I can't recommend them enough!

http://mariashappyhorses.weebly.com/

For Cabo, do yourself a favor and stay on the ship. I never said "no-thank you" so many times in my life. You are hounded from the moment you step off of the ship.

I am so glad I looked at the last couple of posts on this thread......10 years ago, it used to be Randy's Happy Horses....run by an ex-pat and then swine flu & a NCL?cruise employee's demise in Mazatlan...changed itineraries for more than a few years....in that time Randy died.:loudcry:

Living in So CA 45 minutes from the port.....I never did a 7 day MR until about 10 years ago....in fact our honeymoon 35 years ago..we flew to Miami to do a Caribbean.

Still have flown to more Caribbean itineraries, but not with Princess with RCI & X.

Princess brought me back to cruising with their 3&4 dayers in the fall of 2013...which in turn had me looking at MR again, so since the port is close, I've taken several in the last few years....

I very much enjoy snorkeling in Cabo & PV.....often having to wear a wet suit, I love looking at the view when tendered in Cabo.

Cabo's port had a total rebuild since Odile's major destruction in Sept. 2014. They lost a lot of beach frontage, especially at Lover's Beach so now when snorkeling we take an excursion. PV has made some major changes to the malecon.

I highly recommend enjoying a 7 or 10 day itinerary. But do be prepared it will not be as inexpensive as the Caribbean.

Edited by land lover

We’ve done land based vacations a week at a time in Cabo, PV, & Mazatlan. DW is actually from near Mazatlan. We’ve also done a 10day Mex Riviera out of SF on the Grand and a 5 day Cabo overnight on the Ruby. As you can guess we really like these ports and love to visit them. We have our favorite restaurants, shops, as well as friends and family in each port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We love The Mexican Riviera cruises. We have gone many times. In Puerto Vallarta we go to Las Caletas almost every time. We love it. This time we will be doing the 10 day out of San Francisco. I highly recommend this cruise.

I did the Mexican Riveria last January and it was great weather. I went with my 3 sisters and had a great time. We had a "sister reunion cruise" since we all have family's and don't have time to always get together. We felt safe in all ports.

Puerto Vallarta: Took a cab down to the Malecon and tourist shopped and ate lunch. We strolled along the beach and just spent the day wandering around.

Mazatlán: Went to the market downtown with all the stalls and had so much fun buying souvenirs, etc. and then walked over to the church. Bought jewelry from a street vendor and walked over to the cliff divers. Then we went back to ship, dropped off our stuff and went over to Stone beach which was a 5 minute ride from the ship. Then you take a little boat across the water and another taxi takes you to the restaurant / beach front. Had margaritas and chips /guacamole. Very un touristy there and relaxing.

Cabo San Lucas: took the tender in and my and my one sister did the Dolphin excursion which s a short walk from the drop off. She chose to go slow but I decided to go fast. You only live once. We bought the photo package together because they took a lot of pictures of both of us together.

I would definitely do this one again.

I have done these Mexican cruises several times and am not a fan of them. There is a long explanation why I did them that is unique to my situation.

If I had to choose between Caribbean and Mexican Riviera, I would choose Caribbean every single time. I have no desire to go to the West coast of Mexico again.

I think they are popular solely because people who live in CA can get on a ship with out flying. Several cruise lines have reduced the amount of ships in the are the past few years. Most people who want more cruise lines and more routes there are West Coasters or Californians who want to travel minimally to catch a ship.

Agree 100%.

Being from NorCal, we do this itinerary frequently. Mostly because it's cheap, close and hey I'm on the ship.

I thoroughly enjoy Mazatlan. I like the old town feel, kinda Santa Barbara in 60-70's. You can actually barter with the vendors, have a decent cheap meal and it's safe.

Cabo, not so much. I'm not 22 and drunk. The vendors are PUSHY, the prices outrageous and being a tender port, hot and uncomfortable wait to get back on the ship.

PV. Orange cone of shame. We (and about 5000 others) rented the private beach. I went into the water about mid-thigh level and the undertow found me.

Truth is, I rarely get off the ship now. For me it's not about where the ship goes, it's being ON the ship!

And I'm one of those who'd tell you this is a great cruise. I'd choose the Mexican Riviera over a Caribbean cruise any time. But then we are not into snorkeling (the water on the MR is not suitable) nor are we really beach people. Last January, we did the 10-day itinerary and loved it. As several have said, the first and last days are coolish, but since we're also not pool people, that didn't bother us.

We did whale watching in Cabo, and it was fantastic at that time of year. In PV, we took a taxi, with friends, to a restaurant I had read about on CC called Pipi's. It was excellent for Mexican food and margaritas! Then we walked over the swinging bridge to the crafts and souvenir vendors, finishing up with a long walk down the malecon. Beautiful!

We are doing the 7-day itinerary on the Royal Princess at the end of April and really looking forward to it as well.

Great reasons for loving the MR , but you left out one .....we will be cruising together again. Lol

Living on the west coast we have been on several MR cruises and have enjoyed them all. For us this is a relaxing cruise more than a sight seeing cruise. I think you will really enjoy the MR.