Can you take fresh flowers onboard?

Either on embarkation or in port? I would love to bring a bouquet of tulips on board while in Amsterdam next spring. Also can I take some small samples of Edam cheeses on board to snack on while on board the ship. Is this allowed? Thanks!

I think a lot depends on the port and the destinations. Have heard people say they had no problem, and have personally seen flowers being confiscated in Seattle.

Agricultural restrictions and regulations vary so much from region to region.

Hopefully someone with personal experience bringing flowers on board in Amsterdam will chime in.

Jan

We have taken flowers on board Explorer in Seattle from the fabulous Pike Place Market.

We also regularly take them on the ships in Ft. Lauderdale. There is a Publix Market that is a convenient stop in the cab from the airport to the ship, where we pick up 2 bottles of wine, a six pack of 1/2 liter water, and a beautiful floral arrangement.

Just like fruit and other agricultural products, you can't take them off the ship.

I will be boarding Symphony in Civitavecchia in September and plan to buy the wine and flowers while in Rome.

Barb

Edited by barb in ga
ad correction
  • Like 1

I know for a fact that for US ports you can bring flowers on board. We bring flowers on board for EVERY cruise since RCCL got rid of the on board flower carts. I have a moldable plastic vase that packs completely flat that I bring for every cruise.

I was told I can also take the flowers off as long as there is no soil, but I've never bothered.

Sorry OP - Can't answer for foreign ports but can tell you that we were in Amsterdam this past April ( tulip season) and it was beautiful at the gardens

Enjoy

M

• Like 1

Love the idea of bringing a floral arrangement onto the ship. Curious. What do you use to put your flowers in after you board? The ice bucket is the only thing that comes to mind.

I have a collapsible plastic flower vase that I pack for every cruise. Friends use a hard plastic vase they get from the dollar store and just trash it at the end of the cruise. I've used an empty beer or wine bottle as a bud vase.

We usually buy a $5-10 supermarket bouquet.

My husband used to purchase a bud vase with one or 3 roses from the flower cart on board. They haven't been on board for years.

M

I have one of these collapsible vases: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vase+collapsible&sprefix=vase+collap%2Caps%2C206&crid=3KAPTJKRY1D32&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avase+collapsible

You can also ask your room steward for a wine bucket

Edited by barb in ga

Canada will not accept plants/meats/fruits taken off ship that were not obtained in Canada, and I'm pretty sure it's the same in the US.

It has to do with agricultural protections against pests etc.

The question was about taking flowers on board. It's allowed, we took some on in Vancouver.

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2018 at 10:13 AM, besberry said:

We took a bunch of flowers on to Symphony with no problems in April. This was out of Barcelona.

May I ask where you purchased your flowers at Barcelona? We are interested in bringing some onboard our Nov 3 sailing. Thanks!

On 7/23/2018 at 8:44 PM, Nado44 said:

Love the idea of bringing a floral arrangement onto the ship. Curious. What do you use to put your flowers in after you board? The ice bucket is the only thing that comes to mind.

We asked the cabin attendant to bring us something. All he could come up with was a large white plastic ice bucket for champagne. It was a huge bouquet with large lilies and others. Huge bouquet that I had made at Pikes Market in Seattle. Best flowers ever. Most of the flowers lasted for over 2 weeks on the cruise.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:36 PM, barb in ga said:

That vase looks interesting.

I'm also interested in knowing since we will be on a cruise May 17th next year from Amsterdam.

Edited by ReneeFLL

On 7/22/2018 at 7:25 PM, jcross2 said:

I think a lot depends on the port and the destinations. Have heard people say they had no problem, and have personally seen flowers being confiscated in Seattle.

Agricultural restrictions and regulations vary so much from region to region.

Hopefully someone with personal experience bringing flowers on board in Amsterdam will chime in.

Jan

There has been a recent trip report here where fresh flowers were bought and brought on board in Seattle.

On 7/24/2018 at 6:22 PM, WorkerBee74 said:

Canada will not accept plants/meats/fruits taken off ship that were not obtained in Canada, and I'm pretty sure it's the same in the US.

It has to do with agricultural protections against pests etc.

They arent brought back but incinerated as trash after the cruise.