Airfare for Alaska Cruise, Advice?

Rode Warrior

The direct flights from ATL to Vancouver for 2019 were posted on Saturday. The schedule has changed from this year. It is a direct evening flight 7:30 PM to 10:15 PM. Obviously a hotel stay is required, but I HATE layovers, so I booked it. The direct Anchorage to ATL has not posted yet. I continue to monitor daily.

Edited by plagmah
typo

The direct flights from ATL to Vancouver for 2019 were posted on Saturday. The schedule has changed from this year. It is a direct evening flight 7:30 PM to 10:15 PM. Obviously a hotel stay is required, but I HATE layovers, so I booked it. The direct Anchorage to ATL has not posted yet. I continue to monitor daily.

Please keep us tuned in... we just booked Whittier to Vancouver on Royal Princess .. and are looking to get there from Atlanta. So far Princess air has been the cheapest but at $590 pp. We want to fly up to anchorage the week before and do a DIY land tour. However, that puts us flying out to anchorage over memorial day weekend. We are flexible but so far the prices have seemed high. Would love to be in the $400 pp range since there are 4 of us ;).

• 2 weeks later...
Please keep us tuned in... we just booked Whittier to Vancouver on Royal Princess .. and are looking to get there from Atlanta. So far Princess air has been the cheapest but at $590 pp. We want to fly up to anchorage the week before and do a DIY land tour. However, that puts us flying out to anchorage over memorial day weekend. We are flexible but so far the prices have seemed high. Would love to be in the $400 pp range since there are 4 of us ;).

The anchorage to Atlanta direct flights are now open for next summer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The anchorage to Atlanta direct flights are now open for next summer

Thank you!!! Got us booked. Almost the same price as the 1 and 2 stop flights. Still hoping the price drops but will take the direct flight even if the price stays where it is. Only 1 flight per day? Or during peak summer does Delta ever have more than one or does Alaskan Air ever have a direct flight? Just trying to keep all options open.

only 1 per day. They did not add a second direct this past summer.

Glad you got booked. I am still waiting on the price to drop.

Thank you! Since we are flying over a holiday weekend - glad we got on the direct flight - we are booked through Princess EZair so I can rebook if the price drops with no penalties.

Good info that there was only 1 direct this summer.

Don't mean to highjack the thread, just looking for advice. We are doing a northbound cruise next June that starts in Vancouver and ends in Seward from Friday to Friday. We are leaving from Texas and have 3 choices of airport, since we must drive about 3 to 4 hours to reach any of them, Austin, San Antonio or Dallas, but we must leave and return to the same airport as our car will be parked there for the duration of the trip.

I see we need some way to get from Seward to Anchorage. In your opinions what is the easiest way to do this transfer? I was trying to find a non stop out of Anchorage but I don't see any and if I wait until Saturday to leave prices are a bit higher. Just trying to figure out the best way to do the return. Last time we did a Seattle r/t cruise so it was easier to decide the flights. There are 4 adults in our party. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I see we need some way to get from Seward to Anchorage. In your opinions what is the easiest way to do this transfer? I was trying to find a non stop out of Anchorage but I don't see any and if I wait until Saturday to leave prices are a bit higher. Just trying to figure out the best way to do the return. Last time we did a Seattle r/t cruise so it was easier to decide the flights. There are 4 adults in our party. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

There are several threads here with options and details. Do a search for Seward to Anchorage transfer for more details.

The two main options most people use to get from Seward to Anchorage are the Alaska Railroad or a Bus / Van transfer. You can usually book either option through your cruise line or independently, although the independent train transfer will leave at 6:00 pm and get to Anchorage at 10:15 pm. You can also rent a car, but one-way rentals are usually very expensive.

I would add that if you should consider seeing some things in the Seward area. We treat Seward as another port day. A Kenai Fjords Cruise is a popular option. If you take the later train or bus option, you will have time for at least the 6 hour tour.

There are several threads here with options and details. Do a search for Seward to Anchorage transfer for more details.

The two main options most people use to get from Seward to Anchorage are the Alaska Railroad or a Bus / Van transfer. You can usually book either option through your cruise line or independently, although the independent train transfer will leave at 6:00 pm and get to Anchorage at 10:15 pm. You can also rent a car, but one-way rentals are usually very expensive.

I would add that if you should consider seeing some things in the Seward area. We treat Seward as another port day. A Kenai Fjords Cruise is a popular option. If you take the later train or bus option, you will have time for at least the 6 hour tour.

Thank you for the response. I will look at those options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Don't mean to highjack the thread, just looking for advice. We are doing a northbound cruise next June that starts in Vancouver and ends in Seward from Friday to Friday. We are leaving from Texas and have 3 choices of airport, since we must drive about 3 to 4 hours to reach any of them, Austin, San Antonio or Dallas, but we must leave and return to the same airport as our car will be parked there for the duration of the trip.

I too would strongly suggest adding time for touring. How often are you going to get there?? With 4 people I find a superior option- a rental car with Hertz. Offers excellent sightseeing opportunities and fare more efficiently with touring- especially if you are short on time. I’d recommend adding several days and perhaps add Homer and Whittier as example.

I too would strongly suggest adding time for touring. How often are you going to get there?? With 4 people I find a superior option- a rental car with Hertz. Offers excellent sightseeing opportunities and fare more efficiently with touring- especially if you are short on time. I’d recommend adding several days and perhaps add Homer and Whittier as example.
I would love to stay longer but we are already coming in early to Vancouver and we have to get back home for work so we have to come home the day the cruise ends [emoji24][emoji24]. I did find a nonstop flight home that leaves at 8:30pm. I also found a tour/transfer that makes several stops on the way to Anchorage. It would get us to the airport at 4:30pm. Has anyone tried using Alaska Cruise Transfer ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

I have been flying to Alaska in the summer for over 20 years for fishing. In the past the airlines sometimes run a sale when the state of Alaska issues the PFD payout.This is the money each resident gets from the sale of oil in the state. Checks go out first of Oct. so this might be the time to keep checking! I will be.

Also check flights to Seattle, since they can SOMETIMES be substantially cheaper, even factoring in transportation from Seattle to Vancouver.

We found this past summer that flying into Seattle was cheap, but the return fare was twice as much. We wound up renting a car (Budget had some rates with unlimited mileage and no drop-off charge) and driving to Portland to fly home. Saved a ton.

I have been flying to Alaska in the summer for over 20 years for fishing. In the past the airlines sometimes run a sale when the state of Alaska issues the PFD payout.This is the money each resident gets from the sale of oil in the state. Checks go out first of Oct. so this might be the time to keep checking! I will be.

Thanks!!! Good to know. I keep checking hoping rates will drop, no luck so far, but not giving up!!

• 4 weeks later...

When searching for help with Rome flights, I used the Cruise Air Board and it is much more helpful than your destination board!

BTY- I booked our air through Choice Air (Celebrity) as it was much less than booking through the airlines.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:26 PM, Rode Warrior said:

My cruise in Alaska is a year away, and I cannot yet get prices on airfare, but I will be able to in a few weeks. Does anyone have any insight into the timing to get best ticket prices (for me from Atlanta to Vancouver and return from Anchorage)? Based on your experience, what would be a good price range from Atlanta? Any other thoughts or experiences are welcome.

Were are in the process of booking our flights now using Princess EZ Air,

our cruise is September 2019. Princess is quoting $560 flying non stop ATL to Seattle and nonstop Vancouver to ATL

15 minutes ago, newparks said:

Were are in the process of booking our flights now using Princess EZ Air,

our cruise is September 2019. Princess is quoting $560 flying non stop ATL to Seattle and nonstop Vancouver to ATL

That’s not a bad price. The downside can be if they don’t allow you to choose your flight times, you may wind up with bad schedules.

1 minute ago, JT1962 said:

That’s not a bad price. The downside can be if they don’t allow you to choose your flight times, you may wind up with bad schedules.

They have several flights to choose from. Our only problem is the return flight, there is only one nonstop to Atlanta from Vancouver and its at 11:10 pm😂  the friend I travel is has mobility issues so its just easier to book non stop. 

We booked through EZ air for our June 1st cruise and have the non-stop ATL- Anchorage  but one stop on the way back Vancouver to ATL at $583.   If you have the non-stop both ways for $560 that's not bad.   Just keep watching and hope the price drops.   I haven't seen anything close to what we've got, most days it over $700 pp.   Not that I'm giving up hope that the price will drop  :classic_biggrin:.  It's still a long way out....

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, Gaynors said:

We booked through EZ air for our June 1st cruise and have the non-stop ATL- Anchorage  but one stop on the way back Vancouver to ATL at $583.   If you have the non-stop both ways for $560 that's not bad.   Just keep watching and hope the price drops.   I haven't seen anything close to what we've got, most days it over $700 pp.   Not that I'm giving up hope that the price will drop  :classic_biggrin:.  It's still a long way out....

\We booked non stop both ways Atlanta to Seattle then Vancouver to Atlanta EZ Air for $539. I plan to keep looking at it in hopes that it might come down. I'm also hoping that Delta might add more non stop flights to Atlanta from Vancouver. As it is now, our flight doesn't leave until 11:10 pm😂

12 minutes ago, newparks said:

\We booked non stop both ways Atlanta to Seattle then Vancouver to Atlanta EZ Air for $539. I plan to keep looking at it in hopes that it might come down. I'm also hoping that Delta might add more non stop flights to Atlanta from Vancouver. As it is now, our flight doesn't leave until 11:10 pm😂

It would be nice if they offered another non-stop that wasn't the red-eye.  Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞