Back from Oasis : July 15. 2018

This will just be a few thoughts, not a detailed review. I am happy to answer any questions. We were also on Oasis in October of last year and while that cruise was great, this one was even better!

I am Ryan and travelling with me as always is my husband Jim. While we are not loyal to any one line we do like Royal an awful lot. This was our second cruise since making Diamond status. Status programs and perks are nice and all but don't really mean much to us.

This was our first time in the Caribbean in Summer and while I had concerns of too many kids and crazy weather, it was actually not bad at all. Yes, there were more kids and teens than when we normally cruise in October, November, April or May but by and large they behaved quite well (better than some of the adults for sure). It was hot on the islands but not unbearably so.

The Bad

Only negative was the behavior of some of our fellow cruisers. Unfortunately this is becoming worse over time. We saw people treat the crew like garbage, yell and swear like they were at a wrestling match, and well, you get the idea.

Star Class? More like "No Class". Twice we found ourselves near a family travelling in Star Class act like buffoons in the Opal Theater. We unfortunately we near them for "Cats" and "Come Fly With Me", both of which were terrific! This family was loud, and I mean LOUD. Talked throughout the shows, played with their dumb phones, and left messes for the crew to clean up. When someone "shushed" the wife during "Cats" she yelled loud enough for all to hear "don't you shush me! I paid a lot for this damn cruise!"

Then there was the two couples (all Pinnacles, and believe me, you could not miss that, always had their precious Pinnacle badges on and their cruising life was literally ALL they could talk about. Guess there is nothing else about them that is the least bit interesting). They sat each evening in the Diamond Lounge complaining non-stop about all of the issues they were having, none of which were even remotely a big deal, but you would never know by the dramatic way they spoke. If you are that unhappy with Royal, then what are you doing here??? They were a perfect example of "familiarity breeds contempt". They threw around names of senior officers as if they were all best friends and how as Pinnacles they need to be treated better. I hope you are reading this Captain Black Sweatpants with your cheap Caribbean polyester shirts, your wife with her chunky, tacky jewelry, and you sir who along with your idiot wife could not shut up for five seconds about a simple mix up at Labadee you chose to treat as if the world were coming to an end. You are all just horrible and I am quite sure the crew as well as Beatrice the wonderful Diamond Concierge were laughing at you behind you backs.

Aside, from the above, all was great on Oasis!

The Ship

Still in wonderful condition. Comfortable and surprisingly easy to navigate considering her size.

Our Stateroom

Originally we booked a Boardwalk Balcony. we had one before and really liked it, but a month prior to the cruise we got a call from the Upgrade Fairy (never happened before). We were offered to move up to a junior suite and only had to pay the additional taxes. We ended up in junior suite 6244 on the hump! Loved, loved this room! The extra space was really great to have, the larger balcony was a joy to utilize, the bigger bathroom with tub was great and the walk-in closet fantastic! would book one again if the price is right, but could go back to a standard room no problem.

Food

We did pretty much what we did last time for dinners. Bought the five night package and did Sabor,Chops and 150 Central Park once each, and Giovanni's Table twice. Nothing but great things to say about them all. Loved the better service and lack of noise that has become the norm in the main dining room. The other two nights we dined at Solarium Bistro which is a hidden gem. Really lovely and had our favorite waiter twice (Roel, he is the best!). Did most breakfasts also in Solarium Bistro, one breakfast and one lunch at Wipeout Cafe and one lunch in the main dining room (gotta have my Tutti salad!). Absolutely no complaints at all.

Shows

All are still very good, in fact we felt this cast of "Cats" was even better than what we saw last year. A whole lot of talent there. So much so we went to a couple of the cabaret shows put on by some of them in Jazz On Four. Last time on Oasis they had to cancel "Come Fly With Me" due to a technical problem, but fortunately that did not happen again. Also a great shows, as is Oasis of Dreams and Frozen In Time. Our headliner was El Gaucho who we had seen on a previous cruise. He is hilarious and a great musician.

Ports

we had been to all of them several times so no major excursions this time around. Went over to Marigot on St Martin where they are still recovering from Hurricane Maria but doing better. Had lunch back near the port at a favorite, The Greenhouse. Excellent food and service. In San Juan had breakfast with another couple at Chocbar (if you are a chocoholic, you must go!). Then walked the charming streets and picked up a couple of souvenirs. In Labadee we hung at Nellie's Beach as we always do and partook in the very good beach bbq.

Service

While we have never had a serious service issue in any of our 20 plus cruises, this crew on the Oasis really was a step above. From waiters, bartenders, our fantastic stateroom steward, the sports crew, guest services, the guys at Cafe Promenade who made us endless lattes, all were charming, helpful and with a real customer service attitude. Also of note is Beatrice the Diamond Concierge. She was very helpful to us as well as incredible pleasant and professional.

All and all a terrific week. Thanks to all who made this a memorable vacation for us. We have a cruise with celebrity booked for January but plan to book Harmony for next Summer.

If anyone has questions, please ask away!

Thanks for the review! Hubs and I are sailing Oasis in three weeks and are in a JS on the hump on deck 8.

Did you eat in Coastal Kitchen at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review, could not agree more. We have sailed the Oasis class three times and love it. We are also Diamond and have been sailing with RCCL for over 20 years. We are loyal to Royal and really do not sail with any other line. Your comments about passengers these days are right on, and you can certainly see some of that reflected on this site. I was in the service industry and so understand customer actions well. In this case it seems like some people, when they buy a ticket, act like they bought the ship. I always want to ask them what business they are in, and has the service in their industry gotten better over the years, because if it has I would be interested in hearing about it. I also think that some passengers look for something to complain about so they can justify to themselves why they stiff the crew on tips. Know not all with agree but that's my opinion. Again so glad you liked Oasis, I will step down off my soap box know.

Thank you so much for the review! I’m so glad you enjoyed it, and you’ll love Harmony too.

As far as fellow cruisers’ behavior, I feel you on that! Last year on my Harmony cruise, my family and I were attending the Captain’s Corner on the last day, in the AquaTheater. There was a very loud family on the rock climbing wall, loudly yelling the whole time which I found rude to the officers onstage as well as those of us in the audience. Look, I completely get cheering on your family members as they climb the wall, but this family was literally yelling nonstop and in a very obnoxious way! They never gave us any issues directly, so we just kind of brushed it off (although my mother did give them a dirty look). I still felt bad for Captain Johnny, who was trying to speak to the audience but many, especially those of us towards the back of the theater, had a hard time hearing him over the yelling!

All in all, we love Royal Caribbean, particularly the Oasis class with Freedom class coming in at a close second (for me at least). Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience, and have a great time on your future cruises!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review! Hubs and I are sailing Oasis in three weeks and are in a JS on the hump on deck 8.

Did you eat in Coastal Kitchen at all?

You're gonna love that JS hump cabin! It was phenomenal!

No, we did not eat in Coastal Kitchen. Thought about it but went with Solarium Bistro for our non-package nights.

Forgot to mention before, we received an invitation to tour the suite sun deck, suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen. It was very informative, but for us had the opposite effect they were looking for! If we ever do book a full suite it will not be for these perks. The suite sun deck was a big snooze. No one there in the middle of a sea day, no decor at all and just nothing to get excited about, and certainly nothing to pay extra for. Just like any other spot on the ship to lounge in a chair. The suite lounge too was no big deal and I found it weird that the lounge and Coastal Kitchen were actually the same space. So I could be sitting in the lounge having a conversation with someone just feet from where someone else is having dinner. I am sure the food in Coastal Kitchen is very good but the layout was off-putting.

No, we did not eat in Coastal Kitchen. Thought about it but went with Solarium Bistro for our non-package nights.

Forgot to mention before, we received an invitation to tour the suite sun deck, suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen. It was very informative, but for us had the opposite effect they were looking for! If we ever do book a full suite it will not be for these perks. The suite sun deck was a big snooze. No one there in the middle of a sea day, no decor at all and just nothing to get excited about, and certainly nothing to pay extra for. Just like any other spot on the ship to lounge in a chair. The suite lounge too was no big deal and I found it weird that the lounge and Coastal Kitchen were actually the same space. So I could be sitting in the lounge having a conversation with someone just feet from where someone else is having dinner. I am sure the food in Coastal Kitchen is very good but the layout was off-putting.

Cool, thanks! We’re in 8640, super excited! There was a price drop about two weeks ago so we upgraded from a hump balcony to a JS for about $400! I’ve heard nothing but good things about Coastal Kitchen, so excited for that.

Any top 3 tips for a first time Oasis class cruiser? Top 3 negatives or things to skip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then there was the two couples (all Pinnacles, and believe me, you could not miss that, always had their precious Pinnacle badges on and their cruising life was literally ALL they could talk about. Guess there is nothing else about them that is the least bit interesting). They sat each evening in the Diamond Lounge complaining non-stop about all of the issues they were having, none of which were even remotely a big deal, but you would never know by the dramatic way they spoke. If you are that unhappy with Royal, then what are you doing here??? They were a perfect example of "familiarity breeds contempt". They threw around names of senior officers as if they were all best friends and how as Pinnacles they need to be treated better. I hope you are reading this Captain Black Sweatpants with your cheap Caribbean polyester shirts, your wife with her chunky, tacky jewelry, and you sir who along with your idiot wife could not shut up for five seconds about a simple mix up at Labadee you chose to treat as if the world were coming to an end. You are all just horrible and I am quite sure the crew as well as Beatrice the wonderful Diamond Concierge were laughing at you behind you backs.

I couldn't agree with you more. When we were on oasis, the pinnacle's were horrible. Complaining about things that were so insignificant, and just walking around like it was a bother to be onboard. The one time my daughter was dancing and twirling with me while waiting for an elevator and the pinnacle couple that was waiting with us just kept eyeballing her and snickering to themselves. Shes 5 years old and having a good time not bothering anyone....really?!?! And then when the elevator came, almost ran her over trying to get in. THAT ticked me off, and made my daughter almost cry because they just shoved her to get in. so when we all were getting out, we were in front and they began to try to shove their way out. I just stood my ground (all 250 lbs) and told my daughter ladies first and let her exit first. As we got off, i looked at them and said "just because your wearing those pins doesn't mean you own the ship. the crew may kiss your butt but i'm not".....seen them a few more times and they never made eye contact lol. But the most ridiculous thing was the woman by the pool that wore that damn pin on her bathing suit.....i mean really, it s that important?!?! I couldn't agree with you more about the crew talking behind their backs though! Every crew member we made friends with felt the same way about pinnacles: they're needy and entitled. No reason to be mean and stuck up to people. Just remember the golden rule: treat people the way you want to be treated, and you'll get exceptional service every time!

Star Class? More like "No Class". Twice we found ourselves near a family travelling in Star Class act like buffoons in the Opal Theater. We unfortunately we near them for "Cats" and "Come Fly With Me", both of which were terrific! This family was loud, and I mean LOUD. Talked throughout the shows, played with their dumb phones, and left messes for the crew to clean up. When someone "shushed" the wife during "Cats" she yelled loud enough for all to hear "don't you shush me! I paid a lot for this damn cruise!"

I literally LOL'd while reading this. I'm really, really sorry you had to endure that, but your recant of the encounter is gold. :D

As bad as the pineapples are on the ship (and believe me, I've had at least a dozen experiences like you had with them) they are equally vocal here. Just prepare yourself for a potential turd storm.

There are a few here that are super people, but ON THE SHIP, my encounters have predominately been unattractive. I've been cursed and have never cruised with the pleasant ones from this forum.

ETA:

There are 2 here on CC that I really hope I eventually get the pleasure of being around.

I have been lucky and have met really nice down to earth pinnacles. Of course you are going to meet a few that are not so nice. But that is just like life. Some people are nice and others not so much so. I would not generalize and say that most pinnacles are entitled.

As bad as the pineapples are on the ship (and believe me, I've had at least a dozen experiences like you had with them) they are equally vocal here. Just prepare yourself for a potential turd storm.

There are a few here that are super people, but ON THE SHIP, my encounters have predominately been unattractive. I've been cursed and have never cruised with the pleasant ones from this forum.

ETA:

There are 2 here on CC that I really hope I eventually get the pleasure of being around.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review Ryan. We also loved the Solarium Bistro and the ship in general; at nine years old I wondered if she'd be looking a bit ragged but found her in wonderful condition as you noted. Oasis was our first Royal Caribbean voyage in March; I hope it hasn't spoiled us too much!

Good review Ryan. Question for you ref pre-cruise reservations. Did you make any for theatre or Aqua Show? Or anything for that matter. Our son & fiancé will be on Oasis in October. They haven’t been able to reserve anything yet via the RCL cruise planner as nothing is yet listed. They are getting nervous about it, hoping you might be able to help. Thx you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This will just be a few thoughts, not a detailed review. I am happy to answer any questions. We were also on Oasis in October of last year and while that cruise was great, this one was even better!

I am Ryan and travelling with me as always is my husband Jim. While we are not loyal to any one line we do like Royal an awful lot. This was our second cruise since making Diamond status. Status programs and perks are nice and all but don't really mean much to us.

This was our first time in the Caribbean in Summer and while I had concerns of too many kids and crazy weather, it was actually not bad at all. Yes, there were more kids and teens than when we normally cruise in October, November, April or May but by and large they behaved quite well (better than some of the adults for sure). It was hot on the islands but not unbearably so.

The Bad

Only negative was the behavior of some of our fellow cruisers. Unfortunately this is becoming worse over time. We saw people treat the crew like garbage, yell and swear like they were at a wrestling match, and well, you get the idea.

The Ship

Still in wonderful condition. Comfortable and surprisingly easy to navigate considering her size.

Our Stateroom

Originally we booked a Boardwalk Balcony. we had one before and really liked it, but a month prior to the cruise we got a call from the Upgrade Fairy (never happened before). We were offered to move up to a junior suite and only had to pay the additional taxes. We ended up in junior suite 6244 on the hump! Loved, loved this room! The extra space was really great to have, the larger balcony was a joy to utilize, the bigger bathroom with tub was great and the walk-in closet fantastic! would book one again if the price is right, but could go back to a standard room no problem.

Food

We did pretty much what we did last time for dinners. Bought the five night package and did Sabor,Chops and 150 Central Park once each, and Giovanni's Table twice. Nothing but great things to say about them all. Loved the better service and lack of noise that has become the norm in the main dining room. The other two nights we dined at Solarium Bistro which is a hidden gem. Really lovely and had our favorite waiter twice (Roel, he is the best!). Did most breakfasts also in Solarium Bistro, one breakfast and one lunch at Wipeout Cafe and one lunch in the main dining room (gotta have my Tutti salad!). Absolutely no complaints at all.

Shows

All are still very good, in fact we felt this cast of "Cats" was even better than what we saw last year. A whole lot of talent there. So much so we went to a couple of the cabaret shows put on by some of them in Jazz On Four. Last time on Oasis they had to cancel "Come Fly With Me" due to a technical problem, but fortunately that did not happen again. Also a great shows, as is Oasis of Dreams and Frozen In Time. Our headliner was El Gaucho who we had seen on a previous cruise. He is hilarious and a great musician.

Ports

we had been to all of them several times so no major excursions this time around. Went over to Marigot on St Martin where they are still recovering from Hurricane Maria but doing better. Had lunch back near the port at a favorite, The Greenhouse. Excellent food and service. In San Juan had breakfast with another couple at Chocbar (if you are a chocoholic, you must go!). Then walked the charming streets and picked up a couple of souvenirs. In Labadee we hung at Nellie's Beach as we always do and partook in the very good beach bbq.

Service

While we have never had a serious service issue in any of our 20 plus cruises, this crew on the Oasis really was a step above. From waiters, bartenders, our fantastic stateroom steward, the sports crew, guest services, the guys at Cafe Promenade who made us endless lattes, all were charming, helpful and with a real customer service attitude. Also of note is Beatrice the Diamond Concierge. She was very helpful to us as well as incredible pleasant and professional.

All and all a terrific week. Thanks to all who made this a memorable vacation for us. We have a cruise with celebrity booked for January but plan to book Harmony for next Summer.

We were also on the 7/15 Oasis sailing, and we agree with you wholeheartedly. Although there were lots of kids on the ship, we did not see any bad behavior, and twice kids went out of their way to be helpful to us. We did run into several adults who had left their manners at home.

We also agree about the caliber of the crew - Ryan, our waiter; Jerome, our head waiter who delivered Savory Bites every night; Sugiarto, our cabin steward; Ikadek in the Cafe Promenade (who always made sure I had hot coffee even if it was 5 a.m.); and the bartender in the MTD bar all performed above our expectations. The morale was the best we've seen on a large ship. We've come to expect great morale and special service on Enchantment and Radiance Class ships, but it seems to be harder to accomplish on the huge ships.

We're happy we already have reservations for Oasis again in October, December, and April. We booked the Brilliance 7-day in November of 2019 and Harmony in the spring of 2020 while we were on board.

Happy Cruising!

Margy

FWIW, there's really only 2-3 seats in the SL that might infringe on CK. [emoji6]

CK is really nice for breakfast and lunch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good review Ryan. Question for you ref pre-cruise reservations. Did you make any for theatre or Aqua Show? Or anything for that matter. Our son & fiancé will be on Oasis in October. They haven’t been able to reserve anything yet via the RCL cruise planner as nothing is yet listed. They are getting nervous about it, hoping you might be able to help. Thx you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. Have your son and his fiancé join Cruise Critic.

2. Have them join the Roll Call for their cruise.

3. People on the Roll Call will be closely monitoring the Cruise Planner. Someone will notify the rest when reservations open.

The Bad

The Ship

Our Stateroom

Food

Shows

Ports

Service

Showing my ignorance here but what does "hump" refer to?

Showing my ignorance here but what does "hump" refer to?

Dahlia11 - It refers to cabins that are in the middle of the ship that have an extended balcony (so that part sticks out further than the other balconies).