Kids Behavior

I am not a fan of loud people of any age -- and I have been disrupted by kids (and adults). I have been in elevators where kids think it funny to hit all the buttons

We never cruise during school hols and the above comment sums up our experience beautiful.

I've never even been awakened by an unruly child (but have been awaken plenty of times by adults fighting in the cabin next store
oh, I just remembered. On our very first cruise, there was a couple of adults fighting in their cabin next door in the early hours on the LAST night...

And on one of our Princess cruises, there was a kid (about 3 yo) in the next cabin that screamed bloody murder every night about 10 pm, when his parents tried to put him to sleep. That went on for about 30-40 minutes. Thankfully, our kid slept right through it and we weren't asleep yet.

Neither episode RUINED our vacation, and I completely forgot about both of them, until PP brought it up.

I have done over 60 cruises and try to avoid cruises with children, nothing I hate more than listening to children scream Marco Polo at the pool other than that I do not find them a issue. But best 2 cruises we have done was Europe on renaissance cruise line which was adult only and non smoking in 2001, and a few months ago on celebrity on a great music charter with great music again adult only and almost non smoking. Sandals resorts are a great adult only option with. Better food than cruises. Will be back on celebrity music charter next year.

I would highly recommend celebrity.....but as one who sails during the summer season, I do find fewer kids on royal and they seem better behaved. Sailed the “other” cruise line 4 yrs ago and swore I’d never use them again.

I was on a Celebrity cruise and was very pleased to see one of the officers checking the behaviour of a young boy who was misbehaving near the solarium, the situation was quickly resolved and I have also seen other instances where a naughty adult was quickly dealt with on another cruise, in my opinion they do a very good job of monitoring situations and passengers without being intrusive if you get my drift, very friendly officers who are very visible and interact well with pax, maybe you should try Celebrity

As a teacher I have no issue correcting other kids behavior and if my kids were misbehaving in any way I would hope someone else would correct them. I know many parents don’t like it, but I don’t care. I’ll say the disrespect from kids is getting crazy at schools too even now starting in Kinder...

Best thing is what we do , do not travel in summer or spring breaks or holidays,also take longer cruises, last cruise was a music charter on celebrity adults only, I think celebrity or Hal would be better since they do not have all the features kids might like .

That works for me, the only problems I have had is kids using the stairwells as a hang out spot. With my depth perception problems I've stepped on a few hands that didn't want to move.

Best thing is what we do , do not travel in summer or spring breaks or holidays,also take longer cruises, last cruise was a music charter on celebrity adults only, I think celebrity or Hal would be better since they do not have all the features kids might like .

Great response, cuising during the school sessions reduces the number of kids by 80-90%, its a no brainer. Longer cruises also help. This applies to every cruise line. We have been on about 15 cruises and never had a problem with kids, very low numbers and well behaved.

That works for me, the only problems I have had is kids using the stairwells as a hang out spot. With my depth perception problems I've stepped on a few hands that didn't want to move.

I could see myself doing that helps to have size 15 eee shoes:D:D

Type wwwDOTroyalcaribbeanDOTcom into your web browser.

The first picture you'll see is of a water slide. Scroll down and you'll see a water park at Coco-Cay. From there you can also see pictures of kids with water cannons and youngish children using the Flowriders.

There is an entire section entitled "Best Family Cruise Vacation"

For those complaining about children, maybe RCL is no longer the cruise line for you?

Truth is, even the most polite and well mannered child is going to have interesting moments. Same as any teenager with their friends, or 21 year old/retired person who's had too many drinks.

Try MSC.

From my experience on MSC, the line considers itself to be family oriented, but their family oriented means encouraging a lot of activities for families to do together.

Any free range children will be closely watched by staff and any misbehavior means they will be immediately scooped up to be reunited with their negligence parents.

Because each cruise has an international passenger composition, it is obvious that many of the family groups keep their children with them or in the children's program.

I have never sailed RCI, but I have an honest question. I have been cruising for a long, long time on another cruise line but I am thinking of switching. The reason is simple, the unsupervised kids are completely out of control on the cruise ships and staffs REFUSE to do anything about it.

I'm not exaggerating and I am not just someone that bitches about families with kids. I'm talking about people being hurt, entire vacations ruined because parents refuse to control their kids. Complete brushing off of nearly all rules. And the staff will simply not do anything about it.

So my question is simple; does the staff on this line hold parents accountable for monitoring and controlling their kids or not? I never thought I would actually leave the cruise line that I have always used, but things get worse every time I sail and I have had it. I don't want to stop cruising, but I am looking for a line that actually holds parents accountable for the behavior of their kids when it gets out of hand.

Simple answer : NO RCI will not do anything about unbehaved kids....security will do nothing and just watch....:rolleyes:

Simple answer : NO RCI will not do anything about unbehaved kids....security will do nothing and just watch....:rolleyes:

Totally disagree.

Have seen security "round up" kids who were actually playing cards in a stair area and tell them to go to their cabins as it was almost curfew.

Also kick an entire family out of the solarium. Large family pretending "no English" with several kids, including swim diapers, and just being very loud and taking over the pool. Several people complained. Two security guards showed up. Prior to that several passengers had tried to explain in Spanish that the area was for adults. One of the guards quickly switched to Portuguese - they picked up all their stuff and left. Many people thanked the security guard. He said no problem and said he would keep an eye on them. He also said he knew at least some of the group spoke English as they had been quite unruly elsewhere on the ship.

Security can’t have eyes on every single kid on the ship 24/7.

This is more a parenting thing than a RCI thing.

I’ve never really encountered this on any of my cruises to be honest. Just sit back and enjoy the cruise as best as you can.

This kind of issue is a catch-22 for the cruise line. If they do nothing, people rabble about the cruise line not enforcing the rules for the children. If they enforced the rules every time and actually did something about it, you'll have parents descend on RCI with their lawyers saying their precious child would NEVER do x/y/z, that the cruise line had no right to tell them what to do or what not to do, how dare they, etc etc.

So my question is simple; does the staff on this line hold parents accountable for monitoring and controlling their kids or not? I never thought I would actually leave the cruise line that I have always used, but things get worse every time I sail and I have had it. I don't want to stop cruising, but I am looking for a line that actually holds parents accountable for the behavior of their kids when it gets out of hand.

Just want to point out that this would not be a problem if we hadn’t gone ahead with those bothersome child labor laws. Back in the day children earned their keep and didn’t have time to bother the rest of us. Harrumph. :)

Just want to point out that this would not be a problem if we hadn’t gone ahead with those bothersome child labor laws. Back in the day children earned their keep and didn’t have time to bother the rest of us. Harrumph. :)

Claro que si

unsupervised kids are completely out of control on the cruise ships and staffs REFUSE to do anything about it.

people being hurt, entire vacations ruined because parents refuse to control their kids. Complete brushing off of nearly all rules. And the staff will simply not do anything about it.

hold parents accountable for monitoring and controlling their kids or not?

I am looking for a line that actually holds parents accountable for the behavior of their kids when it gets out of hand.

There is a lot of strong language here. I certainly understand your feelings and desire for peaceful relaxation, but to be honest you need to give some specifics to get anything but opinion.

For instance, if someone were actually injured by another passenger (child or not) every cruise line I know of would take some action. Assuming it is reported. The same is true of your use of your use of "refused". This suggest you have pointed dangerous behavior to the ship staff and they said "tough". I am not familiar with any line that would blow things off. "Hold parents accountable", in what form and to what extent?

If you are talking about kids running around the pool deck. That happens on every ship I've ever been on, and will be no different on Royal.

If you give a better indication of what you are looking for, people can give you a better answer. OR as so many others suggest, try a more upscale line designed for adults only.

Avoid ships with water slides if you want to avoid unsupervised children. They basically say: “Go on up there without me and I’ll be down here when you get back” or “I’ll see you down there”.

As these are the most prominent features on the ship as anyone approaches, that message is pretty well telegraphed before boarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have honestly never a cruise impacted by kids. BIG kids (barely drinking age) are another story. On the last cruise we took there was a large group of young adults traveling together and were ALWAYS drunk and out of control. I learned to avoid them on day 1. Before muster we witnessed a young “lady” pee herself while standing at the solarium bar waiting for another drink that she clearly did not need.

Pick smaller ships, without the lure of children attractions such as but not limited too: water slides/play areas, merry go rounds, flow riders, zip lines, rock climbing, bumper cars, ice skating rink. Etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk