Dinner Reservations??

cambriah

I'm not talking about people calling in for reservations daily but about certain people making permanent reservations for the whole cruise, same table on the first day with the Maitre D. When approached with that fact they tell you it simply isn't so & turn their back to you.

Certain Maitre D's will bend their rules on occasion for the right price.

Got it....we have some friends who had a couple traveling with them who did this....did not make sense that they would not take TD instead....

I am a bit resentful regarding the comments about "gaming the system" and "feeling entitled". My problem was not booking my cruise early enough and for having a partner that isn't able to stand in line for a long time. Gee, I sure wish I wasn't on the long waitlist for my first choice MD-fixed time dining. We certainly will call and ask for an AT reservation but if we don't get one we will make do and enjoy our cruise. But please understand why some people are hopeful for a set dinner time.

I agree with you 100%. Traditional Dining is, frequently, waitlisted and it isn't unreasonable to want to dine at specific times. If asking for a reservation allows you to plan, which many of us do, it is a benefit, not an "entitlement". We've been told the table is not available and it has not created issues. We just adjust our plans. If it's allowed, you cannot call it "gaming the system". It's called asking. When we dine at our favorite restaurants here at home we will call in for a reservation and ask to be seated in the section of our favorite servers. If they are available it happens. If not we are fine with that.

Our next cruise is 100% traditional dining. Even then, if we have issues with our servers or tablemates (or they with us) it is allowable to ask to be seated at another table or section.

Got it....we have some friends who had a couple traveling with them who did this....did not make sense that they would not take TD instead....[/qu

Perhaps like myself, and the other 64 people on my upcoming cruise they did choose TD and were waitlisted.

I am a bit resentful regarding the comments about "gaming the system" and "feeling entitled". My problem was not booking my cruise early enough and for having a partner that isn't able to stand in line for a long time. Gee, I sure wish I wasn't on the long waitlist for my first choice MD-fixed time dining. We certainly will call and ask for an AT reservation but if we don't get one we will make do and enjoy our cruise. But please understand why some people are hopeful for a set dinner time.

In your case, talk with the maître d' on embarkation day. Tell him that you requested anytime dining and were waitlisted. He may be able to seat you in one of the early traditional dining rooms. If not, he may give you a standing reservation in an anytime dining room. In this case, what he is really doing is expanding early traditional dining by one extra table (yours) in the other dining room. You are not "gaming the system" - the maître d' is making an adjustment to give you the early traditional dining experience that you requested - and that your partner needs.

If this doesn't work and you find that you do need to stand in line some evenings, your partner does not need to stand in line with you. He or she can sit in the piazza and wait for you to get to the front of the line. Once they are ready to seat you, you can go and get your partner.

In your case, talk with the maître d' on embarkation day. Tell him that you requested anytime dining and were waitlisted.

On Princess if you request anytime, you will always get it and never be waitlisted.

Tell him that you requested anytime dining and were waitlisted.

On Princess if you request anytime, you will always get it and never be waitlisted.

Oops, I made a mistake in my post. Obviously, the poster had requested early traditional and been waitlisted. In this case, the maître d' may be able to fix the problem by giving the poster early traditional - either in one of the early traditional dining rooms or with a standing reservation in the anytime dining room.

NavyVeteran

Thanks for your kind suggestions, with some of the other comments here, I hesitated to ask for favors regarding the seating. However it works out we can't wait to get aboard.