Passports

mac4cruise

Hi

I understand that Carnival keeps your passports when you check in is this true. I really don't like letting anybody have my passport I have a canadian & my wife has a UK passport. Does anybody know why they do this and is it legal.

thanks for input:cool:

I believe the policy is to hold non-US passports during the cruise and return them at the end. Although I've read posts on this board that indicate the policy may not be consistently enforced.

From Carnival's web site:

"On occasion non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Resident Aliens may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation."

I have no clue if it's legal or not-as the official word in Canada is "Do not let anyone keep your passport", but they've taken it on both of my cruises. All Non-US citizens go through it, as far as I know. And then you have the joy of waiting in line at 6am on debarkation day to pick it up. :D

I can't face Customs that early in the morning. :(

They have also always taken and kept ours..Why is it that we have to go through that.It is not like we are unfriendly towards them or are a threat to security.

What if you don't have a passport then what?

I agree with another poster I do not like to deal with customs at 6 am on our last day of the cruise) makes for a long day to get back to AB.

They have also always taken and kept ours..Why is it that we have to go through that.It is not like we are unfriendly towards them or are a threat to security.

What if you don't have a passport then what?

I agree with another poster I do not like to deal with customs at 6 am on our last day of the cruise) makes for a long day to get back to AB.

Just as an aside some lines keep ALL passports upon embarkation for ALL passengers. I would not waste my time worrying about it.

Hi

I understand that Carnival keeps your passports when you check in is this true. I really don't like letting anybody have my passport I have a canadian & my wife has a UK passport. Does anybody know why they do this and is it legal.

thanks for input:cool:

They have never kept our passport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob.gif

From Carnival's website under Travel Documentation (non-Europe cruises):

"On occasion non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Resident Aliens may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation"

So yes, they might.

They have never kept our passport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob.gif

Perhaps because you are from Pittsburgh, PA in the USA??? :p :D

As for it being illegal, from what I understand this is an Immigration thing, not necessarily a Carnival thing... I'm sure if it were not legal, it wouldn't be happening.

Archived