abuse of Lifts

kevboy

As my next cruise nears I find myself thinking of the times I will need to wait for lifts at peak times that are full of " Joy Riders" i.e. those that cannot be bothered to check the direction of the Lift prior to getting in it. Many seem to think of it as funny and some kind of sport to ride up and down until it eventually stops at their required deck. Many complain that P&O are at fault when in truth the problem is being caused by inconsiderate passengers. Therefore can I please ask that when a Lift arrives , you check the direction of travel before you get in. It amazes me that people stand watching the Lift indicator that spells out quite clearly whether it is going up or down yet still get in only to comment that they wish to go in the opposite direction!! Maybe P&O could do something about the problem by writing something in the daily bulletin that everyone receives in their cabin.

I bet this post causes a few comments.

kevboy

I noticed on Aurora last week that lifts sometimes bypassed the floor I was waiting on even though I had pressed the correct button and it just whizzed past in the direction I wanted to go!

Yes I have seen the behaviour the OP describes and for most people it is selfish stupidity.

That said for those who have no option but to use a lift, the very infirm or wheelchair users I can understand why they grab space in a lift when in comes regardless of the direction of travel. It must get so frustrating constantly wasting your time waiting and being met with lifts full of people who could walk if they chose to.

My other personal lift annoyances are:

The unaccompanied children who use the lift like a toy.

Worse are the ones who are accompanied by parents who still let them press every button on the way out of the lift as if it is great fun!

People who won’t move back to make space when there is plenty

People carrying full drinks then slopping them about or overfill food trays

People coughing/ sneezing in the confined space without covering their mouth or nose.

Personally I avoid lifts as much as possible, which means seldom if ever using them for downward journeys as I am perfectly capable of walking down flights of stairs. Upward is more of a problem but even then on a good day Incan manage a floor or two max.

I think all ships should have a calorie chart in the lifts that shows how many calories are used to walk up or down x amount of stairs. It might incentivise people to walk off some of that excess food and feee up the lifts more 😀

Apparently there are people who still don't know how lifts work. If they want to go up and see the lift on a deck above they press the down button!. Why? because they are calling the lift down - doh!

Another irritation is when the lift fills up and the door close, then immediately open again because some idiot is constantly pressing the call button. I feel like screaming 'stop pressing the ****** button'..

I noticed on Aurora last week that lifts sometimes bypassed the floor I was waiting on even though I had pressed the correct button and it just whizzed past in the direction I wanted to go!

This is because the lifts are computer controlled. There is probably another lift which is planned to stop at your floor so it makes sense overall to let other lifts go by.

Brian

If a person has been waiting a while for a lift, it is often more efficient (or appears so) to board a lift with space then continue waiting for one going in the rifgt direction.

Especially if there is only 1 or 2 decks above/below.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

This.

With my wheelchair, trying to get into a lift that is even half full can be difficult (as people will not always move up, even if there is enough room). The obvious answer is to get into an empty lift, whichever way it is travelling, as it will soon be going in the other direction!

I'm sorry if this causes problems for the TAB (Temporarily Able Bodied) :(

Not sure how many times we use the lift in a day. I do have a disability and stairs not possible No more than 20 I wouldn’t think Only some of this in peak times. Never had a problem at midnight returning to cabin ! But I’m on holiday and if I’ve got to wait for a lift for a few minutes or even go up and down because someone’s pushed the wrong button. there are bigger things at sea to get stressed about. Meals times and theatre shows. I allow time for the expected queues and enjoy people watching , chatting to other passenger or even hubby while waiting ��.

Your on holiday chill Stressing and getting annoyed not going to change anything

The lifts are there to be used by all passengers when they want to, I get a bit fed up with other passengers who think that they have a prior need and would like to make rules about rest of us using them.

I think the main problem is on Britannia Mid ship as there are no stairs to use even though we would have happily walked. On our recent cruise we got the midship lifts to Deck 16 for breakfast and my partner got out on a deck on the journey, to allow people to exit and the lift doors closed and set off before he could get back in. It was a port day and with passengers using the lifts to get down to the gangway he just could not get another lift as they were all full, so he had to walk to the aft stairs and walk up to deck 16 but obviously I didn't know where he was so it was a game of cat & mouse. Situation was made worse as that morning we had only taken one cabin key between us (he had it).

Edited by miniyorkie
typo

The lifts are there to be used by all passengers when they want to, I get a bit fed up with other passengers who think that they have a prior need and would like to make rules about rest of us using them.

So far this is the only fully sensible post on this thread.

The funniest lift journey on board a ship is when we confronted with a bank of lifts but one of them had "LIFT OUT OF SERVICE" on it. I was a bit disappointed when the broken lift arrived with an engineer in it. However he said we could use it if we were not in a rush as he had just completed repairs. He then removed his Lift out of Service notice. He pressed every button and at each stop he shot out took the sign down and got back in. The amount of negative feedback we got at each stop was surprising. Most people could not grasp the situation.

Regards John

I cannot believe the number of able-bodied people who use the lift for 2 floors or even 1 floor. If they walked up or down, it might do them some good. We are 79 and 71 and use the stairs when we can unless it's more than 4 floors up and even then my OH usually walks.

You are right we all have to right to use the lifs but as a common courtesy to all they should be used as they were intended.

And while I don’t have “a prior need” yes I would like some rules.

Don’t slop beer or food over me

Don’t let your brat play with the buttons

Show some common courtesy to other users.

Any of them you disagree with?😀

Our rule is that we don’t use the lifts before going for dinner , even then we usually walk unless formal night and my long dress may be a trip hazard! Reckon it’s saves us a few pounds in weight gain during the cruise. 😀

People are relaxed. They are on holiday. Perhaps they are not paying attention. They do not look at the direction indicator. Hardly a serious offence.

With Cunard and Royal Caribbean I rarely had to wait and often had a non stop lift to myself. Perhaps I was lucky at the times I used the lifts. I think cabin location can be a factor. Forward and aft lifts are often emptier than midships.

I have not travelled on Britannia but the problem may be that P and O have crammed too many passengers in a ship with not enough stairs and lifts in the right locations. I wonder what Iona will be like.

I have cruised two ships without a single passenger lift. On with three decks and one with five decks.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The lifts are there for everyone to use but I do think some passengers could show more common courtesy.

I also think it is important to remember that some people have invisible illnesses and conditions which are not obvious at first look. So please do not judge those who appear able-bodied for using a lift.

The lifts are there for everyone to use but I do think some passengers could show more common courtesy.

I also think it is important to remember that some people have invisible illnesses and conditions which are not obvious at first look. So please do not judge those who appear able-bodied for using a lift.

Good point well made... My wife has lung cancer but looks fine, you would not believe the comments we have endured... We still use the stairs wherever possible but on Britannia we were mid ship deck 8, so getting up to the Horizon on 16 at busy times was hard work. We gave up and had breakfast in MDR most days. The lifts on Britannia have a mind of their own. We spent many an hour laughing at people getting so stressed by it....

I tend not to use the lifts much. Sometimes you have to - the full height of the ship is a heckuva lot of stairs - believe me I've walked it a few times.

Few observations / annoyances..

People who stand right by the door expecting to board an empty lift and then don't move when you try and get out. And similary, when waiting to go into the MDR (for example on Arcadia), they congregate in the lift lobby and stand in front of the lift doors! Where do they think those arriving on the next lift are going to go?

And don't you love it when in a full lift, you stop on a deck and someone says "ah there's room for a little one" and then promptly force their way in. Stepping on toes and making it terribly uncomfortable.

But then thankfully these instances are few and far between. Sometimes you manage to have a pleasant (but brief chat) with fellow passengers. And it can be funny too. Few years ago, on the penultimate day there was a couple in the lift, who when we stopped by the Prom deck asked "ooh where's that?". They got off on the next floor - someone else in the lift muttered "how long have they been on board?" (or something like that).

Probably doesn't sound funny in text, but it was funny at the time.

I would have agreed with the OP until I sailed on Britannia. Irrespective of direction it's always best to dive in if one stops or could be stood there all day.

Quite funny when people say sorry its full. I always say room for two small ones as we dive in. Get a few tuts from the odd miso but all good clean fun.

Sent from my CUBOT MAGIC using Forums mobile app

I firmly believe, with a disabled OH, that the lifts are for everyone and everyone is just as entitled to use them as anyone else. It just needs thought, consideration, respect and manners. I get very upset with the 'lift police'.

I cannot believe the number of able-bodied people who use the lift for 2 floors or even 1 floor. If they walked up or down, it might do them some good. We are 79 and 71 and use the stairs when we can unless it's more than 4 floors up and even then my OH usually walks.

Often you cannot see a disability. I appear perfectly fit but suffer very severe knee pain when going up and down stairs so I use the lifts. Not going to apologise for that - lifts are there for everyone to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk