abuse of Lifts

kevboy

I completely agree that the lifts are there for everyone and that some disabilities aren’t always apparent, but the Captains announcement during the muster drill always clearly states ‘Please give priority in the lifts to wheelchair users and disabled passengers’ and, sadly, this is rarely adhered to. Large number of passengers develop a sudden inability to use stairs when on a cruise ship, even though it is usually far quicker to use them than wait for lifts.

On Arcadia a few weeks back, we excited the muster drill, within minutes of that announcement and whilst the vast majority of able bodied passengers went straight to the stairs, a not insignificant minority joined the lift queue, even though only half of the lifts were in use (the other half being used for suitcase distribution). My wife is a wheelchair user and we had to wait an age for a lift, as did a number of other disabled or very elderly guests. After a very long delay, during which time a number of full lifts had arrived, one eventually came that was only half full and a group of half a dozen passengers travelling together, all aged in their 30’s and 40’s, jumped in. I’m sorry, but I cannot believe that all 6 of them had hidden disabilities. Until you are in the unfortunate position of being disabled or having a family member who is disabled, and you have no choice but to use a lift (even when you don’t want to) it is difficult to understand just how frustrating this can be.

When moving around the ship without my wife I always try to use the stairs, unless it’s to go up more than 4 floors and there are no queues for lifts. The distances between floors are not as far as you might think - and I’m no youngster and I’m not in peak health either!

I firmly believe, with a disabled OH, that the lifts are for everyone and everyone is just as entitled to use them as anyone else. It just needs thought, consideration, respect and manners. I get very upset with the 'lift police'.

Equally I have no time for the lift police, but I probably dislike people more who stay firmly anchored to the back of the lift, even when its nearly empty,making it impossible for me and the wheelchair to fit comfortably in the lift, and then they generally look at me as though I am at fault.

Equally I have no time for the lift police, but I probably dislike people more who stay firmly anchored to the back of the lift, even when its nearly empty,making it impossible for me and the wheelchair to fit comfortably in the lift, and then they generally look at me as though I am at fault.

They move for me John. :). :).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don’t dislike them, it is almost certainly unintentional. You need to take control of the situation, not complain about it. Smile sweetly and politely instruct them where it would be best to move to in order to help you. They probably think staying at the back of the lift is helpful.

Don’t dislike them, it is almost certainly unintentional. You need to take control of the situation, not complain about it. Smile sweetly and politely instruct them where it would be best to move to in order to help you. They probably think staying at the back of the lift is helpful.

You are obviously more tolerant than I, sometimes I wonder if some of them are capable of rational thought, even when I ask them nicely to move to one side they offer only blank looks.

You are obviously more tolerant than I, sometimes I wonder if some of them are capable of rational thought, even when I ask them nicely to move to one side they offer only blank looks.

:') I’ve come across those passengers as well John! Those that don’t just look at you blank tut as they are politely asked to stand to the side. I suppose that they have never had to manoeuvre a wheelchair.

I cannot believe the number of able-bodied people who use the lift for 2 floors or even 1 floor. If they walked up or down, it might do them some good. We are 79 and 71 and use the stairs when we can unless it's more than 4 floors up and even then my OH usually walks.

And exactly how do you judge them to be able bodied?

People who won’t move back to make space when there is plenty

With such people, rather than push in I just put my foot in the door and wait for them to realise they are not going anywhere until they do make space.

What a pathetic thread this is. Lifts are there to be used, just use them and try to get on with others using them, simple really.

Just wondering whether to book another P and O cruise but reading these posts ...

I do appreciate all the points made re disability (visible or hidden) but the distrust and intimidating behaviour written about is not encouraging - a foot in the door; an implied threat by a wheelchair user and blank looks from other passengers.

If you read over this thread it is quite depressing.

Just wondering whether to book another P and O cruise but reading these posts ...

I do appreciate all the points made re disability (visible or hidden) but the distrust and intimidating behaviour written about is not encouraging - a foot in the door; an implied threat by a wheelchair user and blank looks from other passengers.

Couldn't agree more with you its a depressing and disappointing thread isn't it. However in my limited experience of only three cruises and one booked we have had nothing but good manners in the lifts or waiting for the lifts. I'm beginning to wonder where I am when all this is going on........:rolleyes::)

If your disposition is such that reading this thread (including the various comments which are clearly said with a tongue firmly in cheek) is enough to send you running for the hills, then I would strongly advise you against booking a cruise with P&O. Once onboard, you will find far more irritating things to make you wish you had never left the comfort of your own home!

Personally, when I see a thread that has no interest to me, or seems a bit ‘low level’, I just bypass it.

Unfortunately, as my wife has suffered a life changing disability and is now a wheelchair user, we have no choice but to use the lifts and, sadly, the inconsiderate nature of a significant number of fellow passengers does leave a lot to be desired.

I have no doubt that able bodied passengers, or those who are able to use the stairs when there are long waits for lifts, will not have observed these issues, or will just be oblivious to them. Truth be told, I suspect that the same could have been said of us before my wife’s illness.

I am very proud of my adult daughters who, if travelling in a lift with us, will step out and offer their place to wheelchair users or disabled / elderly passengers and use the stairs to meet us. Over 15 Cruises with P&O I think I can recall only two occasions when other passengers have done the same for us whilst we are waiting for a lift. Of course, some people have hidden disabilities, but not the vast majority of P&O passengers.

I think you have hit the nail firmly on the head there Selbourne, unless and until you are a wheelchair user or carer, then the sort of issues that have been highlighted on this thread will pass you by and go unnoticed.

Therefore Heywood, unless you are a wheelchair user then you will doubtless find no problems at all with using the lifts.

However if this thread has made you aware that someone pushing a wheelchair will need the full depth of the lift to be able fit into the lift and you need to move aside for them, then perhaps it will have served its purpose.

Isnt that generally true about anything in life if it doesnt affect you then you are totally oblivious and having said that it works both ways whether disabled or not perhaps we should all perhaps try and be more respectful with each other and perhaps the world would be a better place.

I think you have hit the nail firmly on the head there Selbourne, unless and until you are a wheelchair user or carer, then the sort of issues that have been highlighted on this thread will pass you by and go unnoticed.

Therefore Heywood, unless you are a wheelchair user then you will doubtless find no problems at all with using the lifts.

However if this thread has made you aware that someone pushing a wheelchair will need the full depth of the lift to be able fit into the lift and you need to move aside for them, then perhaps it will have served its purpose.

I am told that the remarks I interpreted as intimidating are ‘tongue in cheek’ so my sense of humour must be somewhat lacking.

I am, thankfully, in a position where I do not need to use lifts very much. I would only use one if was I going up several decks.

I most certainly do give priority to those in a wheelchair and those who are pushing a wheelchair user. I would also make a space or move for someone who needed a place in a bar or dining room if I thought it was necessary.

Thank you for your concerns but I do not to be made aware of the needs of others. As I wrote previously, after reading the comments on here, I feel that some people need to be aware of what they are writing when referring to their own behaviour in a lift or elsewhere.

I completely agree that the lifts are there for everyone and that some disabilities aren’t always apparent, but the Captains announcement during the muster drill always clearly states ‘Please give priority in the lifts to wheelchair users and disabled passengers’ and, sadly, this is rarely adhered to. Large number of passengers develop a sudden inability to use stairs when on a cruise ship, even though it is usually far quicker to use them than wait for lifts.

On Arcadia a few weeks back, we excited the muster drill, within minutes of that announcement and whilst the vast majority of able bodied passengers went straight to the stairs, a not insignificant minority joined the lift queue, even though only half of the lifts were in use (the other half being used for suitcase distribution). My wife is a wheelchair user and we had to wait an age for a lift, as did a number of other disabled or very elderly guests. After a very long delay, during which time a number of full lifts had arrived, one eventually came that was only half full and a group of half a dozen passengers travelling together, all aged in their 30’s and 40’s, jumped in. I’m sorry, but I cannot believe that all 6 of them had hidden disabilities. Until you are in the unfortunate position of being disabled or having a family member who is disabled, and you have no choice but to use a lift (even when you don’t want to) it is difficult to understand just how frustrating this can be.

When moving around the ship without my wife I always try to use the stairs, unless it’s to go up more than 4 floors and there are no queues for lifts. The distances between floors are not as far as you might think - and I’m no youngster and I’m not in peak health either!

That is what I meant earlier Selbourne. I am well aware that some folk have hidden disabilities. My friend has a knee problem that only appears when she walks downstairs funnily enough. I was referring to those who I have seen to be perfectly well able to do one flight of stairs and still take the lift.

That is what I meant earlier Selbourne. I am well aware that some folk have hidden disabilities. My friend has a knee problem that only appears when she walks downstairs funnily enough. I was referring to those who I have seen to be perfectly well able to do one flight of stairs and still take the lift.

That is absolutely standard experience. People with bad knees generally find going down is worse than going up. You are lucky not to have the problem. It does sound as though you still haven’t grasped the concept of hidden disabilities. How do you know all these people are ‘perfectly well able to do one flight of stairs’? I seriously doubt that anybody would wait for ages for a lift if they could just easily walk one flight.

I think the biggest disability on these boards is people who 5hink the6 have 5he ability to judge another persons abilities without knowing anything about them.

Some days I pass as almost none normal, but no way I can climb stairs, on the odd day I can I do, then who knows an hour later I may be ack in my wheelchair, I am honestly sick and tired of people who think they have the ability, or even the right, to judge my, or anyone else’s physical capabilities.

I think the biggest disability on these boards is people who 5hink the6 have 5he ability to judge another persons abilities without knowing anything about them.

Some days I pass as almost none normal, but no way I can climb stairs, on the odd day I can I do, then who knows an hour later I may be ack in my wheelchair, I am honestly sick and tired of people who think they have the ability, or even the right, to judge my, or anyone else’s physical capabilities.

Precisely!

I am no way as bad as you sound, not needing a wheelchair. However the state of my knees varies considerably from day to day. One day I can run up and down stairs, another day it is extremely difficult and painful to walk even one flight.

Some very silly responses. Nobody is saying that some people don’t have hidden disabilities and everyone who is on a cruise ship has every right to use a lift whenever they see fit, disabled or able bodied. I just wish that those who lurk on these threads waiting to be offended could just accept that there is an added factor - and it’s called bone idleness. Now everyone is entitled to be bone idle on their holiday and it may well be the case that there are many many times more passengers with hidden disabilities on P&O ships than in the population in general, but the issue is that those who have no choice but to use a lift might just, on occasion, welcome a little more consideration and indeed adherence to the Captains request to give them priority. Nothing to pick a fight over really, but then again..........

Some very silly responses. Nobody is saying that some people don’t have hidden disabilities and everyone who is on a cruise ship has every right to use a lift whenever they see fit, disabled or able bodied. I just wish that those who lurk on these threads waiting to be offended could just accept that there is an added factor - and it’s called bone idleness. Now everyone is entitled to be bone idle on their holiday and it may well be the case that there are many many times more passengers with hidden disabilities on P&O ships than in the population in general, but the issue is that those who have no choice but to use a lift might just, on occasion, welcome a little more consideration and indeed adherence to the Captains request to give them priority. Nothing to pick a fight over really, but then again..........

I am afraid that your response is both silly and rude. Nobody has mentioned being ‘offended’ anyway! Except possibly yourself being offended by ‘blank looks’. People are allowed to be confused. Try making allowances.

Everybody should just learn to be more considerate and less judgemental.

The OP knew he was being provocative!