What do we need to know as first timers on princess?

Montana

Sailing on the Ruby Princess in December. We booked a club class mini for space and dining as well as priority for boarding and disembarkation. Do we want to use Sanctuary and what about thermal suite? How about specialty restaurants, entertainment, coffee etc. Any hints and advice appreciated.

Also read the faq sections on the Princess website, look at the specialty dining on the Ruby, sample menus will be on the site, photos and descriptions. Then please come back and ask for more detail, clarification, opinion, etc., on any topic, but tell us the itinerary and a little bit about your likes and dislikes so we can help more.

The coupon book is not a "given", it depends upon what type of promotion you were booked under.--We were just on the Grand (Alaska) with newbie cousins and NO coupon booklets.

Take a HI-LIGHTER to differentiate the activities you want to attend/see...and I would advise requesting 2 daily patters for your room or just drop by the "customer service area" for extras.

DAY 1 & 2: on the Grand, the shop promotion was an extra 10% off $100+ purchase.

Important to bring a good attitude and be open to enjoy a great vacation.

If you used a TA, you should get a "special" coupon book which has a BOGO for the Crown Grill only on Embarkation night.

Booked with a TA on our last 6 Princess cruises. I've never seen a coupon book in my room. I have seen other people around the ship with them.

There's definitely more to it than just booking with a TA.

Booked with a TA on our last 6 Princess cruises. I've never seen a coupon book in my room. I have seen other people around the ship with them.

There's definitely more to it than just booking with a TA.

I booked my next cruise thru Princess with my cruise planner. It shows I am getting a coupon book in my travel summary. Wasn't expecting it, not sure how much we'll use it but it was nice on his part.

We found the food in the main dining room to be quite good on princess. On ncl, we didn’t and needed to dine in specialty restaurants. On princess you can find mostly good and some great food in the main dining room. So it’s entirely optional if you’d prefer specialty dining.

Sailing on the Ruby Princess in December. We booked a club class mini for space and dining as well as priority for boarding and disembarkation. Do we want to use Sanctuary and what about thermal suite? How about specialty restaurants, entertainment, coffee etc. Any hints and advice appreciated.

If any of you served in the Military fax your DD214 to Princess. $250.00 OBC for a 14 day or longer cruise

100 shares of Carnival Stock CCL will get you $250.00 OBC for a 14 day or longer cruise.

A Princess Visa card will get you $100.00 OBC for every 10000 points

Night lights for the bathroom and cabin for those middle of the night bathroom trips

26989064229_b12f116dc1_b.jpgRoyal Princess Bathroom Night Light

Enjoy your cruise

Howard

What is in the "Coupon Book"?

It seems there are at least 2 different coupon books, perhaps one newer than the other. But the best thing in the book is a BOGO for specialty dining on the first night. There is one other worthwhile coupon (perhaps) and a whole lot of junk. Most is a small amount off with purchase of things that you aren't likely to purchase.

Since the OP is staying in a club class mini, the MDR for them is very convenient for all meals. They can arrive anytime it is open and the staff will quickly learn their names and desires.

The walls and doors are made of metal. Magnets work for holding papers like a giant bulletin board and other items. The ceiling is also metal.

If a US veteran with a DD214, send a copy to Princess at least two weeks in advance and you will get $50-$250 refundable OBC depending on the length of the cruise.

Sanctuary is an adult only area with an attendant. It books up quickly so as soon as you board, make reservations. It is not free. This is only if you are sailing somewhere that is warm like the Caribbean. On our last AK cruise it was not used that much due to the weather.

I'm not sure what specialty restaurants are on the Ruby, but you can find out on the Princess website and view the menus there. Decide if you want to try them. We find the MDR food just fine, and you'll be in Club Class so you should have an upgraded dining experience (we try it for the 1st time next winter.)

The International Cafe is a nice addition to the dining choices, and almost all is free. You'll get donuts and other breakfast pastries in the AM, plus a breakfast sandwich option. The rest of the day, you can get sweets and small plates such as salads, small sandwiches, soups. The coffee bar is also here, and it's on the ground floor of the atrium.

Follow the directions to log in to Princess@sea that you will find in your embarkation patter. This app will let you check your stateroom account, access the internet if you’ve purchased any, message between yourself and anyone else you “friend” on board and best of all contains all the information from the patter. You can create a personalized list of the events and actives you’d like to do each day and you can share this with your “friends”. I really missed this when we sailed Celebrity last December.

And yes book the sanctuary for your sea days. The afternoon tea served there is quite nice. The whole experience is well worth the $40.

I’ve found that having the same waiter (yes this is possible in club class) every night and following their recommendations almost always assures me of an excellent meal.

Before purchasing any coffee drinks, be aware you can purchase a coffee “package “. They’ll add it to your card. It costs about $35 and covers unlimited brewed coffee, as well as 15 specialty coffees (mochas, frappes, lattes, expressos, etc) during your cruise.

If anyone offers you a fancy drink your first day of the cruise, there will be a charge. All drinks have 15% gratuity added to the cost and charged to your account.

You can bring 2 bottles of wine with you on the ship to consume in your room, or you can pay $15 corkage fee and drink the wine at dinner.

One side of the ship has pink in the carpeting and the other side does not. Make a note of your hallway and it will be easier to find your room when getting off the elevator. ;)

Edited by Cruise2End
Easier to read

One side of the ship has pink in the carpeting and the other side does not. Make a note of your hallway and it will be easier to find your room when getting off the elevator. ;)

I think this was done away with on the Royal Class ships (unless something has changed in the last year). We were on Royal a year ago and the "Port wine color on the port side of the ship" carpet was not present as it is on every Grand Class ship we have been on.

If, like me, you need a cup of strong coffee in the morning to get moving, bring along some good instant. Princess Room Service coffee is worse than bad, it's criminal. I recommend if you order it, add several spoonfuls of instant.

Or stumble down to the IC and get some there.

I think this was done away with on the Royal Class ships (unless something has changed in the last year). We were on Royal a year ago and the "Port wine color on the port side of the ship" carpet was not present as it is on every Grand Class ship we have been on.

It’s still on the Ruby unless they changed the carpet in the past month. ;)