Why so little on the NCL Sun?

banditmag

Hi, we recently returned from a cruise on Princess. We enjoyed the cruise, absolutely loved the intinerary, but were not overly impressed with Princess.(which got me beat up on the Princess Board, although my review wasn't bad, just honest regarding positives and negatives). We are looking at sailing on the NCL Sun for Christmas next year and there do not seem to be alot of posts regarding the Sun. Any past cruisers out there who can give me some input? Food? Pools? Cabins? Excursions? etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I like the idea of freestyle cruising and the itinerary looks wonderful. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Have a great weekend,

Nancy

The reason you may be hearing little about the Sun may be because it has been doing longer Christmas exotic cruises lately, and is about to switch homeports from Houston to Miami.

It's last 7 day Western Caribbean cruise from Houston started December 11. Since then it has been sailing 11 and 10 day Exotic Caribbean cruises for the Holidays from Houston, and will start a 7 day repositioning cruise from Houston to Miami on January 8. So, for over a month the Sun has not been doing regular weekly cruises.

Upon arriving in Miami, it will do a 3 day Bahamas cruise followed by a 1 day cruise to nowhere before starting weekly cruises again on January 21, alternating Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises.

Since lately it a hasn't been on a repeating schedule, questions asked about the recent cruise itineraries have had few replies, so they fall off the front page quickly.

That will change once the Sun resumes a normal schedule, after a few weeks there will be sufficient responders to maintain longer threads, and with longer threads, they will stay on the front page longer.

The Sun is a great mid-sized ship. I thoroughly enjoyed my last cruise on her.

It's just lost in the mid-season shuffle.

Click on the links in my signature for photos.

We sailed the Sun last April and we loved it. The ship was great. We ate at all speiality restaurants on main dining rooms and the food was very good, it was a little bland for us, but I use hot sauce like most people use pepper, so I am the exception.

The pools were very nice with 4 hot tubs in the middle of the 2. We did not use any NCL excursions, choosing to book on our own.

We found the staff to be wonderful, not pushy but very friendly.

We loved freestyle and will have a hard time booking a traditional cruise in the future.

We sailed last January on the Sun, and will be leaving again on the 28th aboard the Sun again. It is a clean ship, food is very good, staff very pleasant.

Unfortunately, the Sun has been in the process of changing itineraries....a couple of times .....just in the past few months, so there haven't been many opportunities to give good information except perhaps about the ship itself. Due to normal seasonal changes, the hurricane season necessitated a lot of fancy footwork for the cruiseline in order to accommodate cruisers since fall and through the spring. Ports of call have all changed several times, so unless you are asking about a specific port, it may not have been on the previous sailings itineraries. Hopefully with the schedule now in place, we can give and get more solid information. Our cruise will be the first W Caribbean itinerary on this schedule, and the 21st is the first E Caribbeam itinerary. So until we return, there is no real concrete information.

Check back with question when we return.

Dee

We sailed the Sun to Alaska in June, 2004, and I also found there wasn't a whole lot of information prior to that. I think that people who sail the Sun either (1) aren't cruise critic posters, or (2) want to keep this beautiful ship to themselves so they just don't post about it :D .

We ate all our meals in the main dining rooms and never bothered to try any of the alternative restaurants. We were so satisifed with the food that we couldn't see spending additional money for the 4 of us to dine when we were already eating so well. The service on the ship was fine -- we never saw our cabin steward, but the cabin was kept beautifully clean. We were in a balcony cabin, and it was a little bit tight for 4 of us in one room, but we managed just fine. We didn't try the pools since we were in Alaska, but they looked nice.

I'd love to do a return trip on the Sun. The itinerary out of New Orleans is looking like a great option, but we've already done the Western Carribean twice, and are thinking we need to give the Eastern side a try first.

For as long as I have been posting here the Sun has been the "quite" ship. I have cruised on the Sun twice and really enjoyed it.

Perhaps other then the issues around moving to Houston after the storm it is the fact that very few people complain about the Sun. It is let's face it the issues that drive volume on the boards.

No waves, no engine problems, no nightmares, no cruise from hell, no rude staff, no diapers:D

The sun is a solid well run ship with a loyal crew. It is really the first ship designed for freestyle. Not as flashy as the Star and Dawn. It has some features thaat I like better then the newer ships. Some have been added to the Jewel like the Great Outdoors aft outside buffet.

The cabins have better storage then the Star class ships but the bathrooms are better on them.

Lots of wood and muted colors and a great crew.

Sometimes no news is good news:)

Well Nancy, I had the same experiece with a post regarding our trip on the Sun Princess last Feb. Great itinerary, etc. but was not that impressed. Perhaps prior to going the comments on that board set expectations in my mind regarding food and entertainment that were just not met. I am not sure why some people are such zealots and seem predisposed to refuting any negative comment about therir 'line of choice'. I am sure that we will try Pincess again. It is a business transaction not a marriage. We have been on Crystal, RCI, Celebrity, and Princess. Never a bad cruise-maybe it is attitude. So far, of the mainlines, we like Celebrity, though I think this is really a ship/crew thing more than the cruise line selected. We select on value-itinerary, rating or review, price per day per cabin. I am taking my father on the 2/4 Norwegian Sun. Everything that I have read has been positive and have spoken to a few folks who were on it and loved it. We live in the snow belt so how bad can it be for us.....80 degree weather, poolside beverages, balcony cabin, swimming/snorkeling in the warm ocean, choice of restaurants???

Thank you all for your replies. We will book our cruise on the Sun for next Christmas. Princess was fine but I think NCL may be a better choice for us. The itinerary looks great and free style is an added bonus. We had 3 formal nights on our Princess Cruise, it was a bit much with the port intensive intinerary.

We too live in a cold and nasty climate. In December I probably wouldn't care if I were on a freighter if it were 80 degrees outside ;)

I suppose it is nice that some people are so loyal to a particular cruise line, I just don't understand beating up people who don't feel the same way - go figure :confused:

Thanks again to all of you. I will keep an eye on these boards for any additional information.

Happy New Year to all.

Nancy

The reason you may be hearing little about the Sun may be because it has been doing longer Christmas exotic cruises lately, and is about to switch homeports from Houston to Miami.

It's last 7 day Western Caribbean cruise from Houston started December 11. Since then it has been sailing 11 and 10 day Exotic Caribbean cruises for the Holidays from Houston, and will start a 7 day repositioning cruise from Houston to Miami on January 8.

Whoa, you really had me shook up for a minute. Had to run back and check my ticket. I leave tomorrow (Jan.8) from Houston and fully expect to return there. The Jan.8-15 is the last one in and out of Houston.

I suppose it is nice that some people are so loyal to a particular cruise line, I just don't understand beating up people who don't feel the same way - go figure :confused:

Nancy

Don't worry it happens here as well. Normally not when someone posts a review with the good and the bad.

People will always defend there choices. Sort of like calling their baby ugly:D

It does not have to be that way.

We (family of 14--grandparents, 3 daughters and their families) have booked the NCL Sun for Christmas also. We are ranging cabins from inside to Penthouse. So far we like the idea of freestyle. Although, apparently liquor cannot be brought on board--and is expensive. I also would have liked to return to Roatan and the itinerary has changed to Guatamala--not sure why. We too have been searching the boards and can't wait to read more about the Sun and what NCL has to offer on holiday sailings.

Banditmag--we will all have to meet over on the roll calls, once you book!!

the Sun is one of my favorite ships, it was my favorite til I sailed the Jewel, now it's a draw. The cabins are nice sized and laid out well, there are great eateries to choose from and they have a friendly and relaxed crew. We love the pool area although, like most ships it is hard to find a lounge chair during sea days. One of our favorite places was the tapa bar: yum, yum! All in all I can't imagine anyone not be satisfied with their cruising experience on this ship. NMnita

Hello all,

We just sailed on the Dec 18th exotic cruise and we had a fabulous time.

We had a balcony on the 10th floor and was great. We did not use the

tours on the boat but they had plenty to choose from. You can go online

the NCL site and see what tours they offer before you go..

We ate everyewhere and the food was very good, alot of choices and to me, if you hear people complaining and they can but I feel they do not cook at home, I on the other hand am happy with someone serving me a 5 course meal that I have chosen!!!:D

There was no waiting ever for a table and we ate at the steak house and the french pay restaurants, they were good but I felt the food at the two

other restaurants, Seven Seas and Four Season were fabulous.

They have a grill on the aft that you can get burgers (they were great)

and pizza, hot dogs and the best fries!!!

You can eat at the Sports Bar and they have a Tapas Bar which is free.

The freestyle way of cruising was wonderful, can't wait until I can book another one!! It is the way to go, very casual, not uptight..

I will try and check back and see if anyone has specific questions.

You can go to role call to see if there are respnces and ask questions to the Sun, if they are still looking, they will answer your questions.

If you have decided to go on the Sun, you will not be disappointed.

janymac

tpear3, excited you will be on the same cruise. You are all ready okay in my book since your avatar is a baseball. My daughter and I are huge fans - she watches every single Cubs game, drives me crazy sometimes. She also plays travelling softball. I am 99% sure we will book on the Sun, just waiting for the TA to call me back with prices and take my charge card number :D

I was actually hoping we could go before Christmas but the stupid school schedule messed that up. I wish my child were normal and would miss school, when I was a kid I would have jumped at the chance, but she refuses. I even tried the argument that she will be a senior and accepted into a college by then but no luck. :mad: I then suggested New Years but she is afraid there will be a blizzard and she won't make it back in time for finals. I love her but what a geek!

Thank you all for the great information. All I have to do now is chose between a balcony and a mini-suite. :rolleyes:

We are going on the Sun Princess on Jan. 27 and when we get off that cruise we are going to be on land for several days and then go on the Norwegian Sun on Feb. 11. We have sailed on Nor Sun before, 2001, when she was brand new. It was a lovely ship then and we had no problems with the Free Style dining. However, my husband is afraid we will have more trouble getting a table this time. We have never been on Sun Princess, were hoping to go on the Sea Princess, but it was almost totally booked up early last summer and the rates were high because of the availability which was only for some pretty poor cabins. We couldn't get assigned dining on Sun Princess which also has my husband worried, but I like going when I am ready. I have been following the Live from the Sun Princess thread and recall seeing your posts. We have never been on one of the big Princess ships, have been on the Royal Princess 3 times and loved it. Maybe I can give you some good comparison after it is all over. However, we are in our 60's, have been on over 30 cruises and are fairly easy to please.

janemac--we are also booked on floor 10--all of us and aft because of the penthouse and one minisuite. We are guessing that morning wake-ups are automatic because of being under the Garden Cafe. Fine by us. What else can you tell us about that floor? How about Christmas decorations or and "specials" for the holidays. Carnival have fee champagne last year on Ebarkation day--very nice.

banditmag--I happen to work in the sports industry and spend alot of time during the season in Chicago with my clients--my son loves Wrigley, but I can only take him on short trips, usually during the summer. Of course, it is always warmer than April!! I have a high schooler who will be in finals before the trip, I take classes at the college, my neice will be a freshman, and we have two others in jr. high. Way too many of us who can't miss school!! Well--it's not stopping me next week, but I'm only in my second week of the semester! :D Actually, my son will be in intermediate school next year, so may not be able to pull him much either. Let us know when you book, I figure I'll start a roll call when I return from our Princess cruise unless one gets started before then!

tpear3, everyone loves Wrigley that's why those of us who live here can't get any tickets. Got any connections? :D Last year I was in the virtual waiting room for over 36 hours the day tickets when on sale and only had my choice of garbage games/seats. We ususally end up driving to Milwaukee and Cincinnati to see the Cubs play (or lose). The diamond seats in Cincinnati are awesome. FWIW I was routing for the Astros in the World Series. All those Sox fans are tough to live with :mad:

I will let you know when we book, I am assuming it will be this week.

Thanks to all for the input.

Nancy

We were on the Norw. Sun cruise out of Houston on 12/11/05. The cruise was wonderful. I agree with all the positives that have been said, ship was great, staff unobtrusive but very competent, short waits, if any, for a table, food was very good (much better than our lst Norw. cruise on the Dream). Went to East Meets West steakhouse & it was fabulous. Stayed in our first balcony room & it was great. We found the shows to be so-so, talented entertainers but just a matter of taste. We will definitely sail on this ship again. Have a great time.

banditmag--e[mail me at tracey.colligan@sfx.com I may be able to assist a friend in need.

samtig--was the ship decorated for the holidays? Do you happen to have the daily activities (don't recall what NCL call them)? I am so glad that the Sun is so well liked!! We are very excited to be able to spend theholidays onboard.:)

Hello all,

We just sailed on the Dec 18th exotic cruise and we had a fabulous time.

We had a balcony on the 10th floor and was great.

They have a grill on the aft that you can get burgers (they were great)

and pizza, hot dogs and the best fries!!!

You can eat at the Sports Bar and they have a Tapas Bar which is free.

I will try and check back and see if anyone has specific questions.

You can go to role call to see if there are respnces and ask questions to the Sun, if they are still looking, they will answer your questions.

If you have decided to go on the Sun, you will not be disappointed.

janymac

What kind of menu was available in the Sports bar?

Are jeans allowed in the Sports bar?

Where on deck 10 was your room located? We have a balcony room on deck 10 also and I was concerned about movement of the ship. Any feed back you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Tpear3,

The ship was decorated and they had meals for Christmas and they also gave the half off in the speciality restaurants. It was nice to see all of the families in their formal attire getting their pictures taken next to the Christmas trees. We had a few cruise critic families that had not taken a vacation around Christmas and now will do it every year!!

We heard next to nothing, the garden cafe was super quiet, every once in awhile you woudl hear the chairs from the pool deck but that was when the balcony door was open. I was amazed of how soundproof the ship is!!

The 10th floor is easy to get to the garden cafe and the steps are in a convenient part of the floor also. I was lazy when we were done for the day but the elevators were quick also which I know some in the lower floors were complaining about. I liked being up high on the ship. I liked the balcony but do not think I would have any heartburn without it if it meant I coudl go on cooler excursions!!

Enjoy the Sun, we did. We missed not going out of NOLA but Houston was nice also.

janemac--we are also booked on floor 10--all of us and aft because of the penthouse and one minisuite. We are guessing that morning wake-ups are automatic because of being under the Garden Cafe. Fine by us. What else can you tell us about that floor? How about Christmas decorations or and "specials" for the holidays. Carnival have fee champagne last year on Ebarkation day--very nice.

banditmag--I happen to work in the sports industry and spend alot of time during the season in Chicago with my clients--my son loves Wrigley, but I can only take him on short trips, usually during the summer. Of course, it is always warmer than April!! I have a high schooler who will be in finals before the trip, I take classes at the college, my neice will be a freshman, and we have two others in jr. high. Way too many of us who can't miss school!! Well--it's not stopping me next week, but I'm only in my second week of the semester! :D Actually, my son will be in intermediate school next year, so may not be able to pull him much either. Let us know when you book, I figure I'll start a roll call when I return from our Princess cruise unless one gets started before then!

The Sports Bar had a variety of food from burgers, fries, hot dogs, soup salad, fish and chips, shepards pie, pub type food. We were out of Houston so they let us wear jeans everywhere. The Sports Bar I do believe is just like the buffet, you can wear anything. I would say yo can wear them in the dining room also but I may be bombarded!!!:D

My daughter would wear jeans and a tshirt and take her light jacket if

anyone said anything which they did not....

I can honestly say that after 11 days, I never looked at what anyone near me was wearing. I am in the culinary field and I was more amazed with the layout, the menu, the waitstaff to be concerned with what everyone is wearing!! Enjoy your cruise and wear what you want!!!

We were aft and there was no movement at all. I made sure we took our Bonine every evening from the start of the crusie to the end and had absolutly no problems. I learned that taking at in the eveving is better cause then you do not have dry nouth all day!! (my side affect)

What kind of menu was available in the Sports bar?

Are jeans allowed in the Sports bar?

Where on deck 10 was your room located? We have a balcony room on deck 10 also and I was concerned about movement of the ship. Any feed back you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, we recently returned from a cruise on Princess. We enjoyed the cruise, absolutely loved the intinerary, but were not overly impressed with Princess.(which got me beat up on the Princess Board, although my review wasn't bad, just honest regarding positives and negatives). We are looking at sailing on the NCL Sun for Christmas next year and there do not seem to be alot of posts regarding the Sun. Any past cruisers out there who can give me some input? Food? Pools? Cabins? Excursions? etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I like the idea of freestyle cruising and the itinerary looks wonderful. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Have a great weekend,

Nancy

There have been about 3 or 4 threads started just in the past few weeks with Sun reviews; all, I may add quite positive. We sailed her when she was almost brand new, 4 years ago. 3 weeks from Sat we'll repeat. NMNita ps forget this post; I see the OP posted months ago. Hello, I am ok, it's just to early in the morning. LOL

Archived