Solstice Secrets

TXRed

And also check out the desserts in the case at Cafe al Bacio on your way to the MDR. Often times what CAB has looks (and tastes!) better than the MDR choices. If perhaps you are full at dinner and want to have dessert later... Celebrity has stopped putting ice pitchers in the cabins but you can request one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you... am not a big dessert eater...but other member of my family are and they will appreciate this information. Oh and thanks for the heads up about the ice pitchers...I will certainly request one.

Would second Helen’s comments about the buffet. It is very crowded at breakfast and lunch but much quieter and more relaxing at dinner. The grill area is quite good.

Thanks...I really like having a leisurely breakfast on the veranda...but also love the variety at buffets...decisions, decisions. ;)

Some random suggestions...

Pack some magnets so you can keep important papers where you can find them. You might want to pack your hair dryer...the one that celebrity provides requires you to hold the button down or it goes off....very annoying to some. Also bring your own binoculars...don't rely on Celebrity providing useful ones. If you are in select dining, make reservations for each night...now...before the cruise. It will speed up your seating. (it's under specialty dining reservations...but free). IMHO, avoid the art auctions...or at least don't buy anything (generally, they aren't good values (I'm being kind)). Don't miss the silent disco (see your daily event sheet). May not apply to you, but if you like caesar salad with anchovies, you have to ask for the anchovies. You do not have to tip anyone on board during the cruise...you can just pay the standard gratuities. If there is a tip required, it will be added to your bill..and specialty restaurant charge includes tips. Go on the kitchen tour when/if it's offered (free...see your daily events page). If you want a different type of pillow ask your cabin attendant. Try breakfast in the MDR if you don't want to fight the crowd in the buffet....ditto for lunch on sea days.

We have chosen select dining...since we take full advantage of the ports we don't care to be tied to a certain time. I have never taken a kitchen tour...hope to this time. Re: pillows...do you or anyone know if they have feather pillows? I don't mind the crowds but my husband isn't too fond of fighting for his food :(..so I am sure he will appreciate quieter meals in the MDR or on the veranda. Thanks you for all the information.

I second this recommendation.

His presentations are both informative and entertaining, appealing to adults as well as children.

Thanks we shall.

We were on the solstice in May. Silk harvest was by far the worst dinner of our trip. The food was fine, certainly not worth paying extra for, but the service was atrocious. Any restaurant can have an off night, but when we mentioned to the waiter and matre’d how long we had been waiting they avoided us until our food was ready. It literally took 2 hours from when we sat down until we received our main course.

Tuscan grill and murano were lovely however, highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the heads up on that...too bad as I love Thai foods but waiting a long for food might make some in my group hangry!! Perhaps we will check it out and see if there has been any improvement.

There is a current review going on with a couple on Equinox who had a terrible experience at Silk Harvest as well. Not the service that time...all dishes were unacceptable. Hmmm....

oh boy...that's not good....we love Thai food and patronize a small, local restaurant owned and run by a Thai family....everything we have had has been wonderful.

Silk Harvest is the only specialty restaurant we won't go back to on Celebrity ships...in fact, the last time, we walked out and refused to even go back when they offered us a free meal if we'd try it again. While the atmosphere is lovely, the food is no better than our local asian restaurants...and not even up to PF Chang's level. IMHO, not worth paying extra.

Thanks all 3 of you...since we get great Thai food at home I think we will pass it on the cruise.

Agree and a little info on what he does. He will give an hour presentation every day on various aspects of Alaska, they will be repeated on the TV. Also, as you go up the Fjord, he will give a running commentary, best to be somewhere where you can see both sides.

I am looking forward to hearing him(y)(y)

Room service is free on Celebrity ships (with a small fee for late night in-room dining). Café Al Bacio II in the Oceanview Cafe' serves alcohol early in the a.m. (I like a mimosa or two at breakfast). Lunch is served in the MDR on sea days. Discounted spa services on port days.

Do you or anyone else know if you can order from the main dining room menu via room service? My DIL due to several back/neck surgeries is often exhausted after a day in port and skips going to the dining room in favor of room service.

Additionally you can get the lunch and dinner Main Dining Room meals delivered to your room during MDR operating hours.

oopsss I should have read ahead. I just asked if this was possible....thanks

If you’re full at dinner you can get MDR to send your dessert to your room or they’ll wrap it up for you to take with you.

Breakfast is chaos in the Oceanview but Cafe al Bacio does nice pastries at breakfast time, then switches to cakes later

thanks! dessert on the veranda with coffee ='s heaven!!

We will be sailing on the Solstice on May 17, 2019 also. It will be our second time to Alaska on the Solstice. It's a beautiful ship with a great staff.

WOOHOO! It will be our second time to Alaska too...we went 2 years ago on Princess...had a great time but didn't get to see/do everything we wanted. We sort of joke about wanting to go back while we can still walk unassisted...but we are getting up in age and think this will be a right time to go back. Last time there were 4 couples and we allotted one couple at each port to decided what to do in that port...4 ports 4 couples...this time it's my husband, myself, our son and DIL....much easier deciding. Are you travelling with others?

Just got off the Solstice and Brent Nixon was not the naturalist on board. There was one but really did not compare favorably with him. I’ve taken this ship 3 times from Seattle and was not impressed with the young lady doing the nature talks. Don’t know if he was off temporarily or just not working with X anymore.

Do not miss the Miss Amanda destination talks. She was amazingly good with history and points of interest in each port.

Before you go check out the possibility of seeing the Aurora Borealis lights. We got a sighting #5 out of 9, but they were not very colorful. Certainly fun to try and get a good siteing.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the hints. We will certainly check out Miss Amanda. Oh mercy, I didn't think there was even a chance to see the Aurora Borealis... Will there be an announcement? Where was the ship when you saw them? Can you direct me as to where I would check before we go? MY husband would be ELATED!!!

Edited by TXRed

I have been on the Solstice 6 times and have two more booked in the next 9 months. She was the first of the S Class ships. I was so excited to cruise on her when she first arrived. Blu was a brand new dining option. I have always had the best crew,

Unlike others I have had good service and food in Silk Harvest. Enjoy !

Blu is the fine dining restaurant? What would the new option be? Thanks....I love to cruise and coming from the resort hotel industry I know the trials and tribulations of dealing with the public and their exceptions...I am pretty easy going and usually know what can and can't realistically be done.

Don't miss the ice cream in the Oceanview Cafe from 12noon (somes 11am) to 10pm. They serve several freshly made flavors, and soft serve yogurt, in either bowls or cones. They'll make the cones as high as you want. I actually made the "mistake" once of challenging the server to make it as high as possible, it was 8 inches minimum! They have multiple toppings as well. Had run after the second show to make it back nightly before closing. I considered that my exercise for the day! ; )

Ahhhh my husband and son will be ecstatic!! They love ice cream...day or night and any time in between!

I mentioned coffee....how is the coffee on the Solstice? We were really disappointed on Princess and found ourselves going to the pay coffee bar more often than not. I don't know if it's true but we were told that except in the fine dining and MDR coffee was made from some kind of coffee syrup. I do know it was not that great.

TXRed

We saw the AB out of Skagway at 1AM. The viewing was hindered by the ships smoke, fog and the full moon. The captain did make an announcement for the viewing. You can search on the internet for the best places for viewing your week of traveling.

Coffee on X ships is brewed using Lavazza coffee. It’s pretty good. But certainly try Cafe al Bacio. Their pastries are all no charge and anything is available to go. If you have a Classic Beverage Package all the non alcoholic drinks are included.

The Blu dining venue is just for Aqua class passengers. It’s sized small like a specialty restaurant and has a different menu than the MDR. Nice but the Aqua cabins are pricey. Some love it and some can’t see the value of it.

If you have any questions, just let us know. This trip was a family vacation for us with our DSs and DDIL. All three of them have never been to Alaska before. Gave us a thrill to see them explore this wonderful state.

Good sailing to you.

Can anyone tell me where the Elite breakfast is served and are the mimosas and bloody Mary's free at the elite breakfast? We have only sailed Celebrity once before and are elite because we are diamond on RC. We were also bumped up to a concierge cabin on this ship. Anything special we need to know regarding that? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Can anyone tell me where the Elite breakfast is served and are the mimosas and bloody Mary's free at the elite breakfast? We have only sailed Celebrity once before and are elite because we are diamond on RC. We were also bumped up to a concierge cabin on this ship. Anything special we need to know regarding that? Thanks

On S-Class ships, the breakfast is held in Tuscan Grill. Yes, those drinks are free.

TXRed

We saw the AB out of Skagway at 1AM. The viewing was hindered by the ships smoke, fog and the full moon. The captain did make an announcement for the viewing. You can search on the internet for the best places for viewing your week of traveling.

Coffee on X ships is brewed using Lavazza coffee. It’s pretty good. But certainly try Cafe al Bacio. Their pastries are all no charge and anything is available to go. If you have a Classic Beverage Package all the non alcoholic drinks are included.

The Blu dining venue is just for Aqua class passengers. It’s sized small like a specialty restaurant and has a different menu than the MDR. Nice but the Aqua cabins are pricey. Some love it and some can’t see the value of it.

If you have any questions, just let us know. This trip was a family vacation for us with our DSs and DDIL. All three of them have never been to Alaska before. Gave us a thrill to see them explore this wonderful state.

Good sailing to you.

Thanks ...we certainly will be checking to see if there's a chance of seeing the AB. Elated to read that there was an announcement. I've read so much I guess it didn't click that Blu was only for Aqua Class. Thanks, I will try not to bombard you with questions. We don't drink alcohol or soft drinks we don't buy a drink package. But we will splurge for good coffee ♥

In a Concierge cabin you can eat lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.

We like to stop in the Oceanview Cafe at 5:00 pm when they reopen for dinner. We take a plate of cheese and crackers, etc and go outside to the bar for our pre dinner drinks. On sea days you can hang out in the Sky Lounge if you want to avoid the crowds and chair hogs. There is a great view up there. Do try the Martini Bar even if you don’t drink martinis. The bartenders put on a great show.

TXRed

You might want to look at the NonAlcoholic drink plans. We drink a lot of coffee thru out the day and if you do, that kind of drink plan might save some $. X does not have coffee cards like Princess.

Be prepared to get up very early on Tracey Arm fiord/Juneau day. We were up and out by 6am!

If your DH isn’t crazy about the buffet for breakfast I’d highly recommend theMDR. Their menu is pretty extensive including eggs Benedict and vanilla French toast, yummy. Lots of sides also.

Don’t be shy, ask anything that comes to mind.

We started with X back in 2002 and have loved the experiences on their ships.

TXRed

You might want to look at the NonAlcoholic drink plans. We drink a lot of coffee thru out the day and if you do, that kind of drink plan might save some $. X does not have coffee cards like Princess.

Be prepared to get up very early on Tracey Arm fiord/Juneau day. We were up and out by 6am!

If your DH isn’t crazy about the buffet for breakfast I’d highly recommend theMDR. Their menu is pretty extensive including eggs Benedict and vanilla French toast, yummy. Lots of sides also.

Don’t be shy, ask anything that comes to mind.

We started with X back in 2002 and have loved the experiences on their ships.

I will check the NonAlcoholic drink plan. Thankfully we are early risers so we'll be on the veranda coffee in hand. I am sure he will be fine with the buffet breakfast...but he loves pancakes so we will probably eat on the MDR a couple times for breakfast.

Thanks for your replies...it's a huge help to hear from people who have sailed the ship before. (y)

I will check the NonAlcoholic drink plan. Thankfully we are early risers so we'll be on the veranda coffee in hand. I am sure he will be fine with the buffet breakfast...but he loves pancakes so we will probably eat on the MDR a couple times for breakfast.

Thanks for your replies...it's a huge help to hear from people who have sailed the ship before. (y)

You can get pancakes from room service. He needs to try Celebrity's waffles in the buffet, they are legendary.

You will receive a letter in your cabin which will give you all the info you need to know about Elite benefits and times and locations of event.