Taking food off the ship into port in Alaska

Gardener62

We have many food restrictions and were wondering if we are going into port for the day if we can bring snacks off the ship with us since we may not be able to eat the food provided on some of the excursions we will likely take. We will be on a Celebrity Alaska cruise. Thanks.

Actually i was asking more about if I were to wrap up some fruit and cheese to take with me in a backpack when I got off the ship would there be a problem? Prepackaged foods usually don't work with my food sensitivities. Thanks

I would contact the cruise line to make sure. I'm willing to bet they asked when you booked about food allergies/restrictions...I just booked with Celebrity and they asked me. Explain your situation to see what they say. You may find the same answer as you did here, but you may get more info or ideas how to work around this issue.

Actually i was asking more about if I were to wrap up some fruit and cheese to take with me in a backpack when I got off the ship would there be a problem? Prepackaged foods usually don't work with my food sensitivities. Thanks

Absolutely not.

It is posted in the Cruise Compass paper daily and there is a sign before you get off the ship telling you it is prohibited.

Never take fruit but I always take zip lock bags from home and put cookies and crackers in to hold us over. Nobody inspects your bag getting off the ship.

Not necessarily true. Some ports are enclosed by a fence and your bag is checked, plus they have dogs sniffing bags.

nope factory sealed items ONLY.

If you can take fruit and cheese off the ship then surely you have a lot of options for prepackaged foods? If it is chemicals and whatnot there are so many organic and chemical free options in snack ranges...just order online if your local store does not do these.

My friend's son is allergic to everything under the sun (nuts,dairy,egg,various proteins,soya,sesame,gluten,kiwi, sweeteners) so she has various things she takes everywhere so he does not go hungry.

i always sneak stuff off the ship, think I am going to pay for food when we have all that on the ship, yogurt, bacon, croissants, bagels work best. If you get caught just plead ignorance or senility.

i always sneak stuff off the ship, think I am going to pay for food when we have all that on the ship, yogurt, bacon, croissants, bagels work best. If you get caught just plead ignorance or senility.

OP do not listen to this, it will always carry a risk no matter how many times you have been successful and not all port authorities will believe the 'innocence' thing. We have seen people being pulled aside with food in their bag when disembarking in port.

On a slightly off topic note, it is always great to enjoy the food of the country you are visiting as that is part of the experience. I am not going to eat low quality yogurt and fatty bacon from the ship when I can eat fresh Tapas in Spain or hand crafted dim sum in Asia.

I hope you are joking. If you can afford to cruise you can afford to buy food off the ship.

If you get caught just plead ignorance or senility.

The officials know that the cruise lines warn passengers of the regulations. You'd do better to plead a sense of self entitlement. At least they would believe that!

OP -- A couple of quick questions:

• Will you be in port w/ a tour group or on your own?
  • What types of foods are your seeking &/or what are your restrictions?
  • Will you be eating meals while you are in port or are you just seeking snacks?

Another poster suggested you check w/ Celebrity - which is a great start. In addition, if you provide answers to the above questions I or another Alaska resident may be able to assist.

Cheers & Enjoy you cruise!

I hope you are joking. If you can afford to cruise you can afford to buy food off the ship.

Or they may have to afford a fine whether they want to or not. One Cruise Critic member a few years back in Australia was held up for over an hour when food items were found in her purse. She was fined a few hundred dollars US AND missed her excursion. For trying to save a couple of bucks on food, it ended up costing several hundred dollars. The cruise line would not refund her excursion fare because she ignored their warnings about taking food items ashore.

It's disappointing that some people are so self centered that they will ignore laws, rules and requests and just do their own thing.

The truth is always best. Just tell them the rules don't apply to you.

Yeap, and then come yelling when you get fined $500 like the lady with the apple.

The are REASONS for the prohibitions. Just because you don't understand them, doesn't make them real.

Actually this type of “food sensitivity” is fairly common. Sadly, there are quite a few people who seem to be unable to eat food they have to buy if there is ANY possibility of sneaking stuff out of some buffet somewhere and sneaking it somewhere else.